Saints 1 Sunderland 0 - Arsenal away in the quarter-final

St Chalet

MotM vs Sunderland (EFL Cup R16 2016)  

272 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Sunderland (EFL Cup R16 2016)

Lovely. Puel's rotation comes good again, against an almost full-strength Sunderland team.

Disagree - didn't look like scoring at all so have to be grateful for that goal. Sunderland were more dangerous.

Stephens and Isgrove were both poor, Reed did well and Olomola had a decent second half without looking like a striker. Got to be closer to a first XI in the next round because this is a winnable competition, but all's well that ends well.

Still slightly worried about our goal scoring options, but my word. What a great feeling to be a Saints fan over the past 7 seasons. WE just seem to be getting stronger and stronger.

We may not pull off a Leicester, but I doubt they will ever again. However we seem to getting closer and closer to a consistant top side.

Crap game. Amazing goal.

Was never going to be a scintillating performance with all the youth players that started, but got the job done in the end against a near-full strength Sunderland side who, apart from the 8-0 a couple of years ago, we always seem to struggle against.

Dunno what's happened to JWP. Last week he had a good game at Inter, but he was just gash tonight.

Can't see ISgrove ever making it into our first-team. Did very little tonight.

Stephens looked OK but a little sloppy in his control and passing at times.

When is the draw for the next round?

Gritty performance enlivened by a spectacular goal by Boufal.

My other favourite moment was in the 2nd half when Reed was put in a bad position back to goal, trapping, swivelling and playing a sublime cross field pass whilst under pressure.

Great to see likes of Stephens, Mcqueen, Reed, Olomola getting the valuable experience whilst saints still got a result out of it.

Only real shame was Jrod picking another injury in a game that would have been ideal in helping him get match sharp.

Crap game. Amazing goal.

Was never going to be a scintillating performance with all the youth players that started, but got the job done in the end against a near-full strength Sunderland side who, apart from the 8-0 a couple of years ago, we always seem to struggle against.

Dunno what's happened to JWP. Last week he had a good game at Inter, but he was just gash tonight.

Can't see ISgrove ever making it into our first-team. Did very little tonight.

Stephens looked OK but a little sloppy in his control and passing at times.

When is the draw for the next round?

Coming up shortly on Skysports

The result is all that matters - keeps our decent run of form ticking over.

Great goal from Boufal, and although I'm sure he wasn't supposed to play 90 minutes, provided there's no reaction, it should do him good.

We're picking up too many injuries at the moment and starting to look very thin.

Isgrove isn't even a Championship player, and although Olomola was a willing worker, he didn't look full of quality. Stephens did all right, even if he seemed a bit casual and disengaged at times.

Anyway, we're in the hat...

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

Gritty performance enlivened by a spectacular goal by Boufal.

My other favourite moment was in the 2nd half when Reed was put in a bad position back to goal, trapping, swivelling and playing a sublime cross field pass whilst under pressure.

Great to see likes of Stephens, Mcqueen, Reed, Olomola getting the valuable experience whilst saints still got a result out of it.

Only real shame was Jrod picking another injury in a game that would have been ideal in helping him get match sharp.[/QUOTE]

Any update on his injury??? If it was his eye, as was reported, then hopefully it won't be too much of an issue.....

Slick start, but then understandibly scrappy.

A few don't look ready, a few look like they will never be ready imo.

My ratings:

McCarthy 7

McQueen 7

Stephens 6

Yoshida 7

Fonte 7

Reed 7

Ward-Prowse 6

Højbjerg 6

Boufal 7.5

Rodriguez 6

Isgrove 5

Olomola 6

Redmond 7

Clasie 6

Boufal MoM for me, purely because he was the difference. We didn't look like scoring otherwise. Reed also did well I thought, and respect to McCarthy for carrying on and managing his injury. Never seen a CB deputising on goal kicks before!

JWP - no idea what's happened there. Looked to have been getting better over the last few appearances, but wow; That was a stinker! Isgrove also poor, though I'll cut him much more slack as there would have been a fair bit of pressure on him too.

Chuffed with the win, especially as it was mostly our reserves against a near full-strength XI from Sunderland. See who we get next :)