Rumours of takeover/investment interest

eling-saint

I guess if Lander takes over, Les gets the boot and is replaced by no1 son-in-law or something there will be much rejoicing on saintsweb?

Probably. People are utterly, utterly mad.

I fear that, if they're not loaded with cash, the point of buying Saints is not to develop the club, but to make money, which could be asset-stripping.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Liebherr won't sell to asset strippers. If she would countenance the idea she'd have sold already, I expect. That doesn't mean we should welcome a sale with open arms, but all indications are that we're checking out buyers pretty carefully.

Thanks for the info, Shroppie. Posting ITK type info on this site can be a thankless task. I find myself hoping that your info is wrong. I'm less than convinced that they have enough financial clout to run a Premier League side. Count me in the "worried" camp. This does not look like an Abramovich style sugar daddy takeover so anyone thinking that we're about to throw ridiculous sums at new players should consider lowering their expectations.

My worry is that with China trying to build their league, they may be snapping up premier league clubs in order to weaken them and the league in an attempt to turn their league into what the premier is now. Probably miles from the truth and paranoid but....

Yep that is miles from the truth and paranoid.

it is typical of the life of a Saints fan, we had the only billionaire owner of a football club who wanted to make money and now a Chinese owner who seems pretty potless in real terms

What? Oh, yeah, woe is us. How rubbish it's been recently.

My worry is that with China trying to build their league, they may be snapping up premier league clubs in order to weaken them and the league in an attempt to turn their league into what the premier is now. Probably miles from the truth and paranoid but....

hahahaha do you also worry that you won't wake up in the morning?

hahahaha do you also worry that you won't wake up in the morning?

I understand your scepticism.

I've never posted info like this before, and am only doing so now as I think there's a decent chance it's genuine.

Mirrors what I heard from a decent source in the City of London last month but without the 15% retained shareholding suggestion.

Whatever happens I do hope it is for the good of the club but I am rather sceptical based on the results of other Far Eastern club ownerships in this country

Where is the commercial revenue that will be needed to take the club further ?

At this moment in time not one single box has been ticked regarding this chinese outfit.

Can't help wondering if this company is acting as some kind of 'front' for some level of Chinese government to invest in the PL. Previous media reporting had alluded to them being funded by the Beijing Municipal Council to invest in sporting assets.

I think at this stage you have to trust Katharina Liebherr that she has the best intentions and would have sought to do her own due diligence that she is passing the club over to capable guardians.

I do not know anything about the prospective owners however *if* they have enough nous and savvy in the Asian market to dramatically increase our commercial revenue then that is a huge plus and can open up a lot of opportunities for us in terms of investment in our team.

The concern is everything that comes with change and the suggestion that they are not cash rich themselves.

No. It's Google translate doing a funny. The company in both cases is Lander (莱茵达 or laiyinda, if you want the pinyin, the official romanisation).

Per Reuters, the Lander Sports Development company is buying out (it's not clear if it's in full or in part) Gao Jisheng, the main shareholder of the company.

On one level, it's a completely internal affair and has no relation to us...

Impressive comprehension

Surely if this was all signed and sealed, Lander would have to make a statement to the Chinese stock exchange. As that hasn't happened I think the ITK snippet is probably incorrect.

You're probably right and I don't have details. From what I heard, I inferred that there was agreement, not that it's necessarily been signed off.

No Money.....Their Chairman has a fair bit and works with the Venetian in Macau.

Gao Jisheng, 62, chairs Lander Real Estate. His 59% stake (shared with his daughter Jingna) was worth $1.4 billion at yesterday’s closing price of 35.94 yuan after discounting collateralized shares. Last week, the company signed a long-term strategic cooperation framework agreement with Venetian Macau, a subsidiary of Las Vegas Sands, to explore the sports event market both in mainland and overseas. Its shares have gained more than 700% in the past year. Gao graduated from Shanghai Normal University.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/russellflannery/2015/06/04/las-vegas-sands-partner-among-newest-china-billionaires/#20d55a871e1e

You're probably right and I don't have details. From what I heard, I inferred that there was agreement, not that it's necessarily been signed off.

As far as I could judge, the translation someone posted above did appear to say that there was a Lander board meeting scheduled for 16 Jan to give final approval, as 17 Jan was the previously nominated date for the Chinese to make an official announcement that their asset purchase had successfully concluded (or not presumably). It sounded as though 17 Jan was always the date they were working to.

No Money.....Their Chairman has a fair bit and works with the Venetian in Macau.

Gao Jisheng, 62, chairs Lander Real Estate. His 59% stake (shared with his daughter Jingna) was worth $1.4 billion at yesterday’s closing price of 35.94 yuan after discounting collateralized shares. Last week, the company signed a long-term strategic cooperation framework agreement with Venetian Macau, a subsidiary of Las Vegas Sands, to explore the sports event market both in mainland and overseas. Its shares have gained more than 700% in the past year. Gao graduated from Shanghai Normal University.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/russellflannery/2015/06/04/las-vegas-sands-partner-among-newest-china-billionaires/#20d55a871e1e

rich bloke cant spent personal money on players these days.

Has anybody ever bought a football club to make money and if so who has actually made a profit?

The answers to the above questions mean it's unlikely they are looking to make a fast buck or if they are they are stupid!

Sadly it doesn't look like these are the dream owners who are going to push us into the mega rich league that many have been hoping for, personally I hope we don't get sold the period since admin has been the most successful and enjoyable in my life time the club is owned by sensible people doing sensible things yes we might never make top 4 but under the current leadership we seem unlikely to implode. Change isn't always a good thing!

Edited by a1ex2001

I don't claim to be in any way an ITK, but I have just heard from someone I trust that the deal is done, announcement imminent.

Kat to retain 15%

The bit I've highlighted.

How reliable is it you heard it off on a scale of 1-10?

I honestly no nothing about this deal or any details at all.

I've just been linked to this thread.

Thank you.

As long as the grand designs aren't for asset-stripping

How many times do clubs actually get asset stripped in football?

it is typical of the life of a Saints fan, we had the only billionaire owner of a football club who wanted to make money and now a Chinese owner who seems pretty potless in real terms

Football clubs don't make you much money year on year, as a business investment they're high risk and low reward.

Football clubs don't make you much money year on year, as a business investment they're high risk and low reward.

Exactly. Buying a football club is something the mega wealthy do when they run out of things to spend their money on.

rich bloke cant spent personal money on players these days.

He can make his company sponsor our training ground (see everton) our training kit (see Man U) our actual strip (normal) and our stadium (everyone) so I reckon he can pump in 200mil a year easy with good accountants.

Ok 200mil might be to high but enough to pay our wage bill by sponsorships so we get round FFP

Kat, Markus, Les and Nic C have helped build some solid foundations - now perhaps the time is right to pass the next stage to someone with grand designs?

No doubt the Venky's and Tan spouted about "grand designs" when they first came in.

I really really hope they don't buy us.

Ditto.

Would rather stay under the steady ownership of Kat, than chance it with a potential sino - SISU.

No idea if he made a profit, but Milan Mandaric purchased enough clubs that I assume made him money.

Proably a really good example although he always bought broken clubs on the cheap invested enough money to put them in a position to be attractive to others and flogged them more like the leibheirs than this Chinese lot who will be paying through the nose for an established stable club.

The reasons Chinese businesses with no previous football experience may be buying into football explained in this article I read recently:

http://www.policyforum.net/the-guanxi-of-football/

Interesting article and makes some sense, thanks for the link.

Yes, interesting but not sure of the 'links' and the real tangible benefits of owning a club such as Saints (or Wolves or whoever), other than 'networking' on a large scale.

Seems a flamboyant and modern (corporate) extension of inviting people to "my club" , or golf club.

Has anybody ever bought a football club to make money and if so who has actually made a profit?

The answers to the above questions mean it's unlikely they are looking to make a fast buck or if they are they are stupid!

Sadly it doesn't look like these are the dream owners who are going to push us into the mega rich league that many have been hoping for, personally I hope we don't get sold the period since admin has been the most successful and enjoyable in my life time the club is owned by sensible people doing sensible things yes we might never make top 4 but under the current leadership we seem unlikely to implode. Change isn't always a good thing!

I would suspect the glaziers would make a little (cough cough) profit if they sold man u now.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Cannot think of any, perhaps Sam Hamman with Wimbledon and plough lane, then he did something similar with Cardiff. Also what Bates did with Leeds, the chairman of Walsall has claimed the ground too.

As long as you run the club well and then following examples above if you separate the club from the ground you can make money with rent and loans.

In the PL there are riches to be had in the assets. If the glaziers sell their Man Utd shares, they would significantly increase their investment. Look at us, not a bad return if Kat does sell.

It can of course go wrong, but that would be down to poor business decisions rather than anything else.

Cannot think of any, perhaps Sam Hamman with Wimbledon and plough lane, then he did something similar with Cardiff. Also what Bates did with Leeds, the chairman of Walsall has claimed the ground too.

As long as you run the club well and then following examples above if you separate the club from the ground you can make money with rent and loans.

In the PL there are riches to be had in the assets. If the glaziers sell their Man Utd shares, they would significantly increase their investment. Look at us, not a bad return if Kat does sell.

It can of course go wrong, but that would be down to poor business decisions rather than anything else.

and in most cases can hardly be described as asset stripping, the biggest profits are to be had from making a club more successful and then selling it alla Kat and her family. Seperating the stadium from the club would send out a terrible message if the new owners were to do it and I'd then be bracing ourselves for a fall it seems to have ben the fate of all clubs that have gone that way.

I would suspect the glaziers would make a little (cough cough) profit if they sold man u now.

but they have hardly asset stripped the place and run it into the ground, the club maybe going through a lean spell but they have backed the manager with a lot of money and have been there a long time now!

but they have hardly asset stripped the place and run it into the ground, the club maybe going through a lean spell but they have backed the manager with a lot of money and have been there a long time now!

I haven't me turned assets stripping, but whilst the glaziers haven't assist stripped, have they not used the profits to pay down the debt of the loans they used to buy the club? Also, where did the the money come from that they have spent on transfers? From their own pocket or again from man u profits? Whilst obviously that family enjoy sports and sport ownerships, I suspect it all has to work from a business/investment/profit perspective firstly.

It may not be popular, but old Rupes only had the best of intentions for the club. Maybe unorthodox but not like Orange Ken. A bullet dodged.

Lowe did a good job for saints all in all (with hindsight and on balance).

He got us the ground - without which we would never have been taken over as an "attractive investment". He also pumped money into and really established the academy into the force it is today. He also secured us european football.

It all went wrong in the end and the fall out wasn't nice... but he wasn't that bad a chairman in truth. Especially when you consider what else we could have had.

Lowe did a good job for saints all in all (with hindsight and on balance).

He got us the ground - without which we would never have been taken over as an "attractive investment". He also pumped money into and really established the academy into the force it is today. He also secured us european football.

It all went wrong in the end and the fall out wasn't nice... but he wasn't that bad a chairman in truth. Especially when you consider what else we could have had.

Now you've gone and done it. The SWF equivalent of Godwins Law.

Just listening to Sky Sports about the latest Chinese bid to sign Diego Costa from Chelsea, rumoured £80m transfer fee and £30m pa in wages so that makes £200m cost over 4 years.

Would it make sense for the Chinese to invest in a Premier League team recognised for developing young talent to become a feeder club for the Chinese market? Could it be that our business model will continue but we'll sell to the Chinese market to make money which will leave the club? or invested to make us stronger in the Premier League?