Rumours of takeover/investment interest

eling-saint

Surely the club would want that and be happy to help fund it? Improving accessibility to the ground would be quite important?

I would have thought the council would be keen as well - unless they really are emotionally attached to having a concrete works in prime central real estate. It's mental how that entire river front hasn't been converted to anything else - literally anything else.

Heard SFC want to buy the surrounding land and extend the stadium - but in order to do this a train station must be put in place.

Cheers for the insight LeG.

I understand the desire to have a train station in the vicinity but not sure why development of the area would be conditional on that happening. Assume its the council stipulating this condition? If so, what is their logic behind the condition? Surely its a 'nice to have' rather than essential?

Any idea on what timescales the club have in mind? (roughly)

Edited by trousers

Heard SFC want to buy the surrounding land and extend the stadium - but in order to do this a train station must be put in place.

It's already been said they won't build a station so close to the ground due to saftety reasons !?

It's already been said they won't build a station so close to the ground due to saftety reasons !?

Maybe the new plans involve moving/rebuilding the stadium closer to the water's edge and thus further away from the current siding which may then make it a safe enough distance away.

The problem with a station is that the line that passes SMS is a branch line going down to the docks, with maybe the only viable place being where the marshalling yard is on Radcliffe Road. That is unless for trains coming from Soton Central, you go up to the marshalling yards, stop and reverse down the branch line. I guess that that is not beyond the whit of man, or maybe it is.

Equity release for a new ground seems like a sensible idea - would probably allow us to push the coaching stuff in Asia as well as the states.

Yeah, I suppose my question to LeG's point is who wants to do the land purchase and re-development?

The Chinese as New Owners? Or is it Kat with their help?

Isn't the lack of train station more to do with South West Trains not wanting to staff an extra station, or put on any more trains, or change their timetables? Something typically uncooperative of one of our great train companies?

In was involved about 10-12 years ago with a rail franchise (no longer in existence) who were looking to offer an alternative service to London and beyond with a station in/around Canute Road.

However there were a number of challenges including finding a site for a station, run round space for the loco and the need to run diesel engines as the line is not electrified. Understand the latter would be a problem for SW Trains for example as all their services to London use electric propulsion.

Do we really need to expand the stadium?

Like the idea of purchasing the land surrounding as lets be honest, it's pretty sh*t, but not sure (at the moment) what the benefit of expanding the stadium would be.

The main benefit i can see is that building a bespoke stadium geared for creating a great atmosphere rather than having an identi-kit stadium makes for better live & TV viewing, it wouldn't need to be massive, but would help generate a bigger overseas following which seems to be the future of growing club revenues and therefore being more competitive.

Worth noting that FFP doesn't come into play when clubs are investing in infrastructure, but having a bigger stadium / more income will allow us to considerably increase player wages etc. The next logical step for the club is to increase its fan base and then its stadium.

Intriguing. MLG is going to LOVE this news :)

Can anyone more informed than me explain why National Rail would object to this?

Surely we wouldn't need to have the station along the dock road towards Canutes Road necessarily as there used to be a station below where the pedestrian rail bridge is in Northam. It would mean it would delay all trains going into Central so maybe that's why they wouldn't agree to it. Also would be one way only going towards Central I assume.

But a station built underneath a new Kingsland stand along the docks line would be pretty cool.

Anyways, a 'Saints Square' was on the So'ton City Council Master Plan a couple years back so looks to be their forward view where the aggregates yard is now.

The problem I would have with that river frontage, from a redevelopment point of view, is the crap view across the water to the other side, and that is hard to change due to limited access caused by the railway on that side. My dear old Mum, Gawd rest her soul, used to own one of the houses at the bottom of Bryanston Road so I knocked around there as a teenager.

Council up for it, its National Rail that are the problem...

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but if National Rail don't want to get involved in building a station to serve a re-developed stadium area, why would that actually stop the club purchasing the land and going ahead with the development? i.e. why would the absence of a new station be a show stopper?

Edited by trousers

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but if National Rail don't want to get involved in building a station to serve a re-developed stadium area, why would that actually stop the club purchasing the land and going ahead with the development? i.e. why would the absence of a new station be a show stopper?

Assume it would require planning permission ect and maybe the council will only 'buy in' if we increase accessibility to the stadium.

The route to the train station can get fairly congested as it is, so imagine what it would be like if we add an additional c.10k (admittedly not all of those would be heading towards the train station).

Assume if they are to add a station at the ground, they would need to redevelop the line also? Otherwise, I can't see how it would work.

Unless a big commercial sponsorship is tied with any deal its totally pointless selling the club to anyone.

The only land around St Marys to buy would be the gas holders as they are being demolished around the country as they store gas in pipes these days.

There will never be any train station around st marys because its on the wrong line and simply wouldnt be financially viable.

The kingsland upper tier extension could happen without any need for more land.

Assume it would require planning permission ect and maybe the council will only 'buy in' if we increase accessibility to the stadium.

The route to the train station can get fairly congested as it is, so imagine what it would be like if we add an additional c.10k (admittedly not all of those would be heading towards the train station).

Assume if they are to add a station at the ground, they would need to redevelop the line also? Otherwise, I can't see how it would work.

But, do we really need a train station anyway? Once the takeover is complete, couldn't we just run a rickshaw service to the city centre? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

West Ham turned down a £650m takeover bid from drinks company Red Bull in the summer, according to the son of co-chairman David Sullivan. (Independent)

May be the news about the Chinese, were to flush out these guys as well.

I am sure I seen us linked or rumoured to a Red Bull takeover on here

West Ham turned down a £650m takeover bid from drinks company Red Bull in the summer, according to the son of co-chairman David Sullivan. (Independent)

May be the news about the Chinese, were to flush out these guys as well.

I am sure I seen us linked or rumoured to a Red Bull takeover on here

£650m, that's Red Bullsh1t.

Unless a big commercial sponsorship is tied with any deal its totally pointless selling the club to anyone.

The only land around St Marys to buy would be the gas holders as they are being demolished around the country as they store gas in pipes these days.

There will never be any train station around st marys because its on the wrong line and simply wouldnt be financially viable.

The kingsland upper tier extension could happen without any need for more land.

Well there used to be one when I was a lad because I used to use it regularly - although that was days of steam engines!

I am not sure why we need a station more of a stop - similar to Falmer for Brighton stadium have - just somewhere to turn the trains.

I'd not seen the stuff about a train station on this thread before. Looks utterly laughable to me - what would the train station actually be for? A football stadium in use about 25 days a year is not the answer to that question.

Well after the take over we will need the train station for the vast number of Chinese shoppers wanting to visit the saints shop/take the stadium tour at the St Mary's

Well there used to be one when I was a lad because I used to use it regularly - although that was days of steam engines!

I am not sure why we need a station more of a stop - similar to Falmer for Brighton stadium have - just somewhere to turn the trains.

Wouldn't have thought there was a station between St Denys and Southampton Terminus in your lifetime, unless of course you were already up and about in the 1840s. You probably mean the old Terminus which can't be much closer than St Denys really. How far would St Denys be from SMS ,about a mile or so?

Edited by Window Cleaner

I'd not seen the stuff about a train station on this thread before. Looks utterly laughable to me - what would the train station actually be for? A football stadium in use about 25 days a year is not the answer to that question.

We have had threads about a railway station before, and I have posted on it before. At one point the council wanted to reinstate the docks line for passenger services, with a station behind the Kingsland (where the old Northam station was) and a station next to the old Terminus station (a site has been reserved). But operationally it would be very difficult, as the curve to to Central station has been filled in. So where would the trains go to?

What would actually make much more sense would be to put a basic station on the main line just north of Northam bridge. Would have to be match days only, as SWT are really not keen on the idea as they struggle to keep to timetable normally. But regular trains and specials could use it. Unfortunately much of the site is now occupied by the train care depot.

For what it's worth I can only see a review of public transport to SMS if the stadium was ever extended, which doesn't appear to be likely at the moment. And we have had lots of threads on that subject in the past.

Wouldn't have thought there was a station between St Denys and Southampton Terminus in your lifetime, unless of course you were already up and about in the 1840s. You probably mean the old Terminus which can't be much closer than St Denys really. How far would St Denys be from SMS ,about a mile or so?

Northam Station closed in 1966. It was just by the gas holders and was on the line to the Terminus (not Central).

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/n/northam/

The Old Terminus is much closer than St Denys WC if you use Ocean Village as a distance guide its a straight line track less than half a mile I would say.

As others have said its irrelevant and no goer anyway as why would anyone build it for such short use although it would ease the stress on the footbridge after a game which is really bad.

I would think that a train station somewhere between St Marys and the pier would make a lot of sense in the long term because of all of the planned development at the old city depot, Ocean Village, and the pier. Having another station would ease the burden on Central and the subsequent journeys from central. A station near the cruise liners also may be of benefit. Not that like to mention the place on here but its a bit like Portsmouths two.

We have had threads about a railway station before, and I have posted on it before. At one point the council wanted to reinstate the docks line for passenger services, with a station behind the Kingsland (where the old Northam station was) and a station next to the old Terminus station (a site has been reserved). But operationally it would be very difficult, as the curve to to Central station has been filled in. So where would the trains go to?

What would actually make much more sense would be to put a basic station on the main line just north of Northam bridge. Would have to be match days only, as SWT are really not keen on the idea as they struggle to keep to timetable normally. But regular trains and specials could use it. Unfortunately much of the site is now occupied by the train care depot.

For what it's worth I can only see a review of public transport to SMS if the stadium was ever extended, which doesn't appear to be likely at the moment. And we have had lots of threads on that subject in the past.

Of all the infrastructure projects for the city of Southampton that public money could be spent on, I would put a mini train station for a few hundred football fans to use 25 times a year just below a silver plated ladder from the Bargate to the Moon on the priority list.

Of all the infrastructure projects for the city of Southampton that public money could be spent on, I would put a mini train station for a few hundred football fans to use 25 times a year just below a silver plated ladder from the Bargate to the Moon on the priority list.

Well if you were by the Bargate on Christmas week at 7pm you would have seen that a silver ladder was handy :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk