Rumours of takeover/investment interest

eling-saint

My incredibly un-educated & un-researched opinion is that unless a prospective purchaser is both well intentioned & completely loaded, I'm quite happy to keep going as we are. The Liebherr ownership has been utterly fantastic.

Alternative view: if the Liebherr's have decided to sell then it is better for us to be sold because we operate in a league/sport where no longer investing enough money can see a quick decline.

Once they make that decision (to sell) then its better for a sale to happen (obviously to the right party) because its a sign they no longer see SFC as a long term investment.

Alternative view: if the Liebherr's have decided to sell then it is better for us to be sold because we operate in a league/sport where no longer investing enough money can see a quick decline.

Once they make that decision (to sell) then its better for a sale to happen (obviously to the right party) because its a sign they no longer see SFC as a long term investment.

Fair point if the owner was chucking cash at the club but I thought the general idea was that the club paid for itself so her not investing loads of money shouldn't have to much effect because KL isn't doing that anyway.

As for the fans the only reason I can see anyone wanting new owners is if you think they are going to chuck a load of money, Man city style, at the club (assuming they could either work around FFP or where so rich they didn't give a rats arse about it and were prepared to take the sanctions) if not Id rather stick with the fantastic owners we have.

I think we all would prefer to stick with our present owner but if Ms Libherr wants to sell we are going to have to grin and bear it while hoping new owners will have the resources and acumen to raise the glass ceiling. A big ask. Most clubs experience cyclical ups and downs, we have had a prolonged up in recent years, it might be time to check our seat belts are fastened.

I think we all would prefer to stick with our present owner but if Ms Libherr wants to sell we are going to have to grin and bear it while hoping new owners will have the resources and acumen to raise the glass ceiling. A big ask. Most clubs experience cyclical ups and downs, we have had a prolonged up in recent years, it might be time to check our seat belts are fastened.

This.

I totally agree. If it turns out to be the start of a downward turn, it will be an extreme disappointment to have moved close enough to the glass ceiling to polish it for a better view of what lies beyond, but not break it.

Edited by Ohio Saint

Fair point if the owner was chucking cash at the club but I thought the general idea was that the club paid for itself so her not investing loads of money shouldn't have to much effect because KL isn't doing that anyway.

As for the fans the only reason I can see anyone wanting new owners is if you think they are going to chuck a load of money, Man city style, at the club (assuming they could either work around FFP or where so rich they didn't give a rats arse about it and were prepared to take the sanctions) if not Id rather stick with the fantastic owners we have.

She/They have invested a hell of a lot of money, very wisely, in the infrastructure of the club to help oversee the 'rise' since they took over. We have been acknowledged to be one of the best in terms of scouting, sports science and have a great Academy and TG with top facilities.

That is brilliant. But that also needs continuous investment if we want to even remain where we are now. Other medium sized clubs are wise-ing up, look at the plans teams like Everton have infrastructure wise and further up the chain the transformation of Spurs. Once people see what you have done well, they look to replicate. If you begin to lack off even for a few months, then some of your advantage can be eroded.

Not saying this will happen with Saints but its pretty clear that if we want to stay a top 10 PL side then eventually you need a transfer window with more outlay than incomings and that, in the face of competition, you will need to spend across the whole club to stay ahead.

If she cannot support that then maybe it is the right time to appreciate the huge amount of great work they have done and sell. Presuming she believes any buyer can offer what she cannot. (Big presumption of course).

Lander has acquired an asset so large that it requires restructuring, appears to be the story:

"Shares in Lander Sports Development Co. have not traded since October, and the company requires the suspension to remain pending “major asset restructuring,”"

I was concerned that Saints were simply too big an acquisition for this relatively small property developer, recently turned sports asset owner. Putting 2 and 2 together it sounds like something massive has gone through for them (i.e. an agreement to purchase). If this is the case I do not see it as a good thing. Hopefully I got my math wrong.

I hope it's not the Chinese version of 'Micky Fialka' & Pinnacle who's buying us.

Perhaps its the Chinese equivalent of Secure Retirement or whatever they were called.

That worked out well didn't it?

This is an intriguing scenario. It is clear that in this world the capacity of the stadium has a big influence on the potential success of the club. Of course this is not the only factor but the expansions to Old Trafford, Anfield, and the new grounds built or being built by Man City, West Ham, and Spurs shows very clearly how important this is. With Ms Leibherr at the helm i am not convinced that this would happen, at least not in the short to medium term, and by then it will likely be too late or at least much harder to catch up. IF and its a big IF, a takeover occurs shortly by this Chinese group then I hope it is only on the basis of significant investment into the ground AND the team. If not I am inclined to accept our mid-table position and the stability of KL. Interesting few weeks ahead by the sounds of it.....

This is an intriguing scenario. It is clear that in this world the capacity of the stadium has a big influence on the potential success of the club. Of course this is not the only factor but the expansions to Old Trafford, Anfield, and the new grounds built or being built by Man City, West Ham, and Spurs shows very clearly how important this is. With Ms Leibherr at the helm i am not convinced that this would happen, at least not in the short to medium term, and by then it will likely be too late or at least much harder to catch up. IF and its a big IF, a takeover occurs shortly by this Chinese group then I hope it is only on the basis of significant investment into the ground AND the team. If not I am inclined to accept our mid-table position and the stability of KL. Interesting few weeks ahead by the sounds of it.....

Not if you don't fill it up every week it doesn't......

I'm more than happy to accept our mid-table position and the stability of KL if the alternative is a Chinese SISU.

I can't imagine for a second that KL would sell us to anyone who would destroy Markus's legacy.

She wouldn't! At the moment she is getting something like a 6/7% return annually on her investment which for these days is very good indeed. Unless she needs capital for another project where else will she get such a decent return? The only proviso is that profitability remains sustainable.

Not only this' date=' but I'd argue that as the money from sponsorship and TV grows, income from matchday revenue becomes increasingly irrelevant. Though I suppose indirectly more fans means more investment from sponsors.[/quote']

The fly in the ointment is that subscriptions to the Pay TV channels for Football are down this year according to several reliable reports not least because of the growth in illegal streaming of live matches but also because with few exceptions the quality of football matches is awful and turning people off. If this trend continues all season and then becomes a season on season trend then revenues from Sky, BT and others will start to dry up. These companies are exposed and taking huge gambles by assuming that fans appetites for football are insatiable. They will react quickly if things look as 'though they are going into reverse.

Nobody is going to invest in new or expanded stadia with such uncertainties in the air. It may also be that some owners are beginning to get fidgety about bubbles possibly bursting and values of clubs dropping.

Half empty type of bloke yeah?

I don't live in this little Disney bubble like some that's all

"Markus's legacy" what a pile of poo poo, guy bought us cheap and owned us for 13 months - like his daughter now he didnt live in Southampton (even the Uk) and had very little attachment to the area or club

We were bought simply as a business and will be sold as such

Highest bidder wins - its business

"Markus's legacy" what a pile of poo poo, guy bought us cheap and owned us for 13 months - like his daughter now he didnt live in Southampton (even the Uk) and had very little attachment to the area or club

Football is smalltime to business people like the Liebherrs. The average prem teams turnover is less than that of the average tesco store.

She wouldn't! At the moment she is getting something like a 6/7% return annually on her investment which for these days is very good indeed. Unless she needs capital for another project where else will she get such a decent return? The only proviso is that profitability remains sustainable.

Eh? Where did you get that from?

On this one you may well be right.

But what annoys me is that when you post your endless negativity about just about everything to do with the club, it comes across as though you above all else want to be proved right.

Most fans have various concerns about their club, but most don't want them to actually be realised so that they can feel important on an internet forum.

I'll take your word for it my Mandarin is a little rusty.

The article isnt fantastic tbh. It is largely drawn from the daily echo (每日回声报) which in turn is a cut and paste from bloomberg. It notes that trading in Lander's shares has been suspended and this perhaps means Lander is abandoning its purchase of southampton. Not quite sure how one statement follows the other. But that's what it nonetheless says.

I mentioned in a post a while back how I'd heard that our next steps were growing the fan base, then looking at either expanding / developing. Aren't Lander sports something to do with stadiums? Someone on here posted something pretty close I believe. I don't think they're buying our club, but buying into it.

So you've been told that?

I mentioned in a post a while back how I'd heard that our next steps were growing the fan base, then looking at either expanding / developing. Aren't Lander sports something to do with stadiums? Someone on here posted something pretty close I believe. I don't think they're buying our club, but buying into it.

One of Lander's major investors owns Hangzhou Greentown football club and the stadium is named after it. But that's a tenuous link, so you may have heard something else.

I would love a bigger stadium, cheaper tickets, bigger fanbase.

This might sound stupid but all the top top clubs in the world do have a minimum 40k capacity, I'm talking the Portos, Benficas, Sevillas, Dortmunds, Athleticos, not to forget the top 6 perceived here.

I say that if I was a prospective foreign owner I'd factor stadium capacity because biggest clubs have the biggest stadiums!

This might sound stupid but all the top top clubs in the world do have a minimum 40k capacity, I'm talking the Portos, Benficas, Sevillas, Dortmunds, Athleticos, not to forget the top 6 perceived here.

I say that if I was a prospective foreign owner I'd factor stadium capacity because biggest clubs have the biggest stadiums!

We should have stayed at The Dell.

Direction of causality pal.