Raise the roof!!!

Lastman73

Calling all saints fans who are attending tonight's historic game against Inter.

Let's raise the fu@"img roof and intimidate the hell out of them !!! COYR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that wont happen. Not that I don't agree with the sentiment. If we go three up though inter will get both barrels.

I thought it was a cracking atmosphere last night, but it was aided by excellent build up pre-match with the music choices. It really worked (well, it got me stoked up anyway).

And also, the PA system has surely been worked on, it's so much louder and clearer in the kingsland now.

I was listening to the first 20minutes on the radio and commented that the first few songs were all about Pompey. Boring, they are L2 and why we advertise them to the world amazes me. They are a forgotten outfit and so we should forget them.....perhaps we should have blue poppies with Lest we remember or Forgotten on them

That would be nice to see, some passion in a crowd not just boring song after repetitive dull song !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the scale of "passion", how many points does lighting a flare earn you? Someone who lights one must necessarily be more passionate than anyone who doesn't, right?

I was listening to the first 20minutes on the radio and commented that the first few songs were all about Pompey. Boring, they are L2 and why we advertise them to the world amazes me. They are a forgotten outfit and so we should forget them.....perhaps we should have blue poppies with Lest we remember or Forgotten on them

This bugged me as well. There I was watching Saints play one of the biggest one off games in recent times and all around me people would rather sing about that lot that our lot.

This bugged me as well. There I was watching Saints play one of the biggest one off games in recent times and all around me people would rather sing about that lot that our lot.

I couldn't care less what league they're in. They're our rivals and I'd despise them if they were regularly in the Champions League or non-league. A huge part of supporting Saints is about hating them c*nts. Embrace it, tons of clubs don't have a derby anywhere near as big as ours

I couldn't care less what league they're in. They're our rivals and I'd despise them if they were regularly in the Champions League or non-league. A huge part of supporting Saints is about hating them c*nts. Embrace it, tons of clubs don't have a derby anywhere near as big as ours
you can despise them but singng about them when we were playing an imortant European game! They will have reflected pleasure knowing that instead of thinking about Saints and egging on our team that the first songs as the game kicked off was about their non entity team.

you can despise them but singng about them when we were playing an imortant European game! They will have reflected pleasure knowing that instead of thinking about Saints and egging on our team that the first songs as the game kicked off was about their non entity team.

Except it wasn't the first thing people sang OWTS, red army, come on you reds and Southampton till I die all got sung before anyone even mentioned Pompey.

I agree, our contempt for them is something that unifies us in times of dullness.

If you weren't there you don't get to comment on atmosphere.

The magic of broadcast recording means that you only hear what the Microphone is pointing at or able to pick up. It has been standard practice to put more mics in front of away sections in stadiums for years and so what you hear on the TV is not what you are really getting in the stadium. How do people not know this yet?

As for what gets sung? Even though it isn't true and many other songs were sung, like it or not Pompey songs and our being better than them on and off the field is as much part of our identity and history as OWTS. In fact our Pompey song is about the only song that hasn't got a replica in every single team in the world.

Not sure the fans at the game should be basing what songs to sing around Radio Solent's coverage timetable.
to be fair I cant stand listening to Merrington and when I got home I awaited score updates on Sky Sports news, rather than listen to his ramblings.

I only mentioned Solent due to the fact when the game kicked off the first songs heard were Pompey ones.

In fact our Pompey song is about the only song that hasn't got a replica in every single team in the world.

I've heard it from a few different teams in the lower leagues, to be fair.

Anyway, I'd rather we chanted anti-Pompey stuff than nothing at all but I do always wonder how the players feel, when they couldn't give a hoot about Pompey.

I counted 6 Pompey songs from the Northam in the first 5 minutes of the game. I don't think they realize just how small-time their obsession with a 4th divison team makes us look to the rest of the country in big televised games like last night's. And as you say, Pompey fans love all of the attention and free publicity they get. Liverpool fans don't sing about Everton that much and Newcastle fans don't sing about Sunderland that much and they certainly don't sing about Hartlepool. Away fans must leave St Mary's thinking, I never realized just how big Pompey were down here on the south coast. The Northam are making us look like we live in Pompey's shadow and it's embarrassing.

They used to sing songs about us when we were in League 1 and they were in the Premier League. No difference. As for loving the attention, well I didn't enjoy them rubbing our noses in it then which presumably was the intention. The Pompey fans I know are deep down jealous of our success and aren't sat at home watching our games and getting excited because they are being mentioned on TV.

I'm glad we have a massive rivalry with them. Being a team like Bournemouth and having to invent one would be utterly desperate.

Liverpool fans dont sing about Everton much because they aren't their main rivals, but they certainly sing about Man Utd. So much so that there was a big media campaign before their last match to try and stop both of them chanting about deaths on the other side.

Most, if not all away fans visiting St Mary's would know we hate Pompey. Just like ours would travel to St Andrews knowing Birmingham hate Villa, or turn up at Oxford and be aware they hate Swindon.

I counted 6 Pompey songs from the Northam in the first 5 minutes of the game. I don't think they realize just how small-time their obsession with a 4th divison team makes us look to the rest of the country in big televised games like last night's. And as you say, Pompey fans love all of the attention and free publicity they get. Liverpool fans don't sing about Everton that much and Newcastle fans don't sing about Sunderland that much and they certainly don't sing about Hartlepool. Away fans must leave St Mary's thinking, I never realized just how big Pompey were down here on the south coast. The Northam are making us look like we live in Pompey's shadow and it's embarrassing.

Liverpool sing about Manchester United most games and Manchester United sing about Liverpool most games, Chelsea sung about Spurs most of the time against us, West Ham about Millwall and Spurs, Spurs about Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham, Birmingham about Villa (and vice versa), Newcastle DO sing about Sunderland (peter reid has a f*cking monkey's heid for one) and Celtic are always singing about Rangers (and again vice versa).

Singing about your rivals is about as normal a thing in football as there is and i've never got why a section of our support is so anti it. Hell in my entire 30+ years of going we've ALWAYS sung about them. It defines us as much as most other things, plus you know what? I really f*cking hate those c*nts and want to rub their noses in the fact we're playing in Europe against Milan whilst they languish at the bottom end of the football league.

Also anyone that went to THAT game at theirs will never tire of singing WTFILN, because it's pure, sweet bitter revenge for all the crap they gave us that day and how our players collapsed and give in.

I do often wonder though if those that dislike it are our "non Southampton" born support, because if you were born in the city, grew up there and had your roots from there you'd fully understand why their placement in the league is irrelevant. To be honest if they went out of business as a football club i'd still hate that cesspool of a city and it's deluded, violent, arrogant inhabitants.

Also in terms of the game itself i thought we were actually pretty quiet for most of the first half, it's almost like people came to life with about 10 minutes to go before the end of the first half and suddenly realised we needed to get behind the lads.

I've got to agree with those that scratch their heads at all the skate references squeezed into so many songs, f*cking tinpot imo. While they might have 2 or 3 songs aimed at the "scummers" they avoid using the name Southampton. Our spotty 15 year olds can't get enough of the p-word, I prefer to do what we did in the 70s/80s for the plucky little 4th Division noddy club, put the on ignore until we come up against them. I share the intense dislike of them but I don't want to give them any recognition if I can help it. Like ericb, I'll never tire of WTFILN for all the reasons given with the added bonus of not mentioning the ****s.

As for last night, it certainly wasn't anything special and even quiet in spells but I guess that's all some have ever experienced.

wow what a load of crap all teams with rivals sing about their rivals during games...the only crime (if there is one) is that Southampton had to have such unfashionable rivals as pompey.

Liverpool sing about Manchester United most games and Manchester United sing about Liverpool most games, Chelsea sung about Spurs most of the time against us, West Ham about Millwall and Spurs, Spurs about Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham, Birmingham about Villa (and vice versa), Newcastle DO sing about Sunderland (peter reid has a f*cking monkey's heid for one) and Celtic are always singing about Rangers (and again vice versa).

Singing about your rivals is about as normal a thing in football as there is and i've never got why a section of our support is so anti it. Hell in my entire 30+ years of going we've ALWAYS sung about them. It defines us as much as most other things, plus you know what? I really f*cking hate those c*nts and want to rub their noses in the fact we're playing in Europe against Milan whilst they languish at the bottom end of the football league.

Also anyone that went to THAT game at theirs will never tire of singing WTFILN, because it's pure, sweet bitter revenge for all the crap they gave us that day and how our players collapsed and give in.

I do often wonder though if those that dislike it are our "non Southampton" born support, because if you were born in the city, grew up there and had your roots from there you'd fully understand why their placement in the league is irrelevant. To be honest if they went out of business as a football club i'd still hate that cesspool of a city and it's deluded, violent, arrogant inhabitants.

Also in terms of the game itself i thought we were actually pretty quiet for most of the first half, it's almost like people came to life with about 10 minutes to go before the end of the first half and suddenly realised we needed to get behind the lads.

[emoji106]

I like WTFILN because it's different from what others sing and it doesn't mention the ****s .

For a modern game the atmosphere was pretty good . However , there's still people leaving before the end . WTF we're beating Inter Milan and some plums have to leave early .

I left after the final whistle, queued up on the stairs to get out and still got on to the motorway by 10.30. You didn't have to leave early to get home at a decent time.

I think the point about songs about the skates is being missed...we're singing and we're singing loud and derisively for the most part and most people join in where I stand in Block 39. Singing leads to more singing, it creates atmosphere and gets the ground buzzing. I absolutely love the 'WTF is laughing now' song - it embodies so much about my Saints supporting life...look at us - look at you, ain't karma great?!!

And the Solent perspective quoted here is just wrong, not sure where their microphones were but the rendering of OWTS before the kick off made my spine tingle...

I think you need to get to St Mary's more often

Nail on head.