Saints v Crawley

Nordic Saint

I am struggling to find any information on the game

Any ideas please?

https://southamptonfc.com/u23s/fixtures/2016-17 No ticket details though. On the other hand ticket details are on the Crawly site: http://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/article/2016-17/crawley-town-southampton-3383867.aspx, £5 on the night, £3 for concessions and £1 for kids, pay on the night.

Crawley have already qualified for the next round but will probably want to win the group and keep their 100% record. If they do we will probably be out, assuming Charlton beat Colchester, even a draw may not be enough for us. Could be a tough game for our u21s, Crawley obviously better (and more interested) than either of the others we have played, and we probably won't use any "senior" players (though I suppose one or two who are not on international duty could benefit from a game). Like the optimism below that seems to think this gets us close to a Wembley appearance, if last 32 is near Wembley I suppose they're right and yet another game in our crazy fixture schedule in mid December.

As much as playing Inter Milan was good for the novelty value this game is in someways more important representing our best chance of Wembley and silverware. I would play Gardos and Rodriguez as over age players.

Crawley travel club are running a coach so a decent away following should help the atmosphere.

Let's get through and keep our season going on 5 fronts

As much as playing Inter Milan was good for the novelty value this game is in someways more important representing our best chance of Wembley and silverware. I would play Gardos and Rodriguez as over age players.

Crawley travel club are running a coach so a decent away following should help the atmosphere.

[emoji23] don't be a muppet.

In no way... :mcinnes:

So is it pay at the gate (ie ticket office) only?

It is odd that the club have hardly advertised the game and we will then be subject to ridicule in some areas for a very low gate

Why? It's a reserve/youth team match of absolutely no significance at all.

Which "quarters" will ridicule us for a very low gate for a youth match? What is a very low gate for a youth team match anyway?

The competition is an embarrassment, and hopefully it'll be ended after just one season. The best way of achieving that is to show there is no fan interest. I shan't be bothering to attend on Wednesday night - and neither should anyone else. If you enjoy watching the youngsters progress, go to one of the U23 league games.

Have to assume that the poster who thinks this is more important than Europa League is on a massive wind up.

Why? It's a reserve/youth team match of absolutely no significance at all.

Which "quarters" will ridicule us for a very low gate for a youth match? What is a very low gate for a youth team match anyway?

It's the same competition that attracted the greatest number of Saints fans ever to a Wembley final.

As for who will ridicule the attendance figure, Pompey fans for at least the next 20 years. I think that's how long they kept the Bolton away thing going, and the home gate v Ipswich for even longer. If they get a bigger gate for their Checkatrade game the night before, we'll never hear the last of it. I'm going to the game anyway but a little bit of promotion from the club and advance online ticket sales would probably add a few thousand to the gate, which is now likely to be less than 2,000.

I can't understand why the club has made no effort whatsoever to promote the game or even make tickets available.

It's the same competition that attracted the greatest number of Saints fans ever to a Wembley final.

As for who will ridicule the attendance figure, Pompey fans for at least the next 20 years. I think that's how long they kept the Bolton away thing going, and the home gate v Ipswich for even longer. If they get a bigger gate for their Checkatrade game the night before, we'll never hear the last of it. I'm going to the game anyway but a little bit of promotion from the club and advance online ticket sales would probably add a few thousand to the gate, which is now likely to be less than 2,000.

I can't understand why the club has made no effort whatsoever to promote the game or even make tickets available.

It's not really the same competition though is it. The competition we entered and won was exclusively for League 1 and 2 teams, not this farcical invention.

An attendance of zero would be appropriate for this game. I think i could cope with a few internet Pompey fans bragging over their higher attendance in the CheckaTrade trophy, the annoying thing would be if they had a lower attendance.

No it isn't and no they won't.

It's a youth team match.

Happy to help.

There will be more people at this game than an U23/U21 league/cup match because there is more interest than those. I'm going to support the youth. I don't understand league 1/2 players/coaches that knock this. If they are confident and want to win the trophy then show it. Playing weak teams against the youth teams suggests to me they're more scared of being found out that they're crap.

The competition is an embarrassment, and hopefully it'll be ended after just one season. The best way of achieving that is to show there is no fan interest. I shan't be bothering to attend on Wednesday night - and neither should anyone else. If you enjoy watching the youngsters progress, go to one of the U23 league games.

Have to assume that the poster who thinks this is more important than Europa League is on a massive wind up.

Two things really - I tried to find how I could watch some matches at Staplewood when I was in the area during the boat show and was told that, despite being a season ticket holder, there was no way I could get to watch so you can't just 'go to one of the U23 league games'

Secondly...who do you think you are to tell people whether they should or shouldn't attend? If you don't want to support all levels of the club or the competition that's fine,your choice, but please don't assume that your opinion is more important than any other.

Now i know there is a match programme available that is going to be a collectors item that might sway it.

Worth noting that Colchester v Charlton is tonight, if Colchester win, or a draw with Colchester winning on pens we are definitely though regardless of tomorrow's game.

I'd actually find it quite embarrassing if an U23 Saints side won the only trophy a first team Saints side have managed to win in my lifetime....

Weren't you there when Saints won the Premier League Cup? I must admit it was something special to see a Saints team lift a cup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_Cup_(football)

I'd argue it was a completely different competition tbh, the thing we won was only for League One and League Two teams, that's got some kind of integrity. This has a different name, different structure and different membership, it's the "same thing" in the eyes of the "E"FL marketing idiots only.

The club has provided an appropriate level of information for the expected level of interest, which is basically "turn up if you like, it's a fiver, park outside, there will be plenty of room".

As for Crawley running a coach, well yeah, it's one of their nearest games outside London, it's still a team in a Saints kit at St Mary's, and they've never played us before (have they?). I drove up there for the JPT to watch Newport a few years back, it's hardly a trek for them to see their first team.

JPT 2010?

That's what he means, it would be embarrassing if the U23s (or U21s if you like) won the competition because it makes the 2010 win look rubbish.

TBH I think it's fairly widely expected that no-one's kids are getting far in this, they won't have the consistency and as soon as there's any kind of serious chance of Wembley the League One resources will be diverted towards the competition.

Only Norwich, Reading, Leicester, Sunderland and Saints' kids are looking like they might get through from the 16 groups - Everton's are top of the group but are only 2 goals from being bottom of it!

That's what he means, it would be embarrassing if the U23s (or U21s if you like) won the competition because it makes the 2010 win look rubbish.

TBH I think it's fairly widely expected that no-one's kids are getting far in this, they won't have the consistency and as soon as there's any kind of serious chance of Wembley the League One resources will be diverted towards the competition.

Only Norwich, Reading, Leicester, Sunderland and Saints' kids are looking like they might get through from the 16 groups - Everton's are top of the group but are only 2 goals from being bottom of it!

Ohhhhh right, I kept reading it over and over thinking "I must be reading this wrong..."

Though when you think about it, if the kids won the Trophy the senior team were winning 6 years ago it is another measure of the club's progress.

Not that I particularly care about this half-baked shambles of an attempt at a competition, but I'd still rather we were in it than not. I've been to more pointless matches that cost more too...

I'd actually find it quite embarrassing if an U23 Saints side won the only trophy a first team Saints side have managed to win in my lifetime....

Personally I'd be impressed if our under 21 can emulate what our all star team did in our league 1 days. Shows we've come a long way.

Yes, we're through:

http://www.efl.com/checkatrade-trophy/checkatrade-trophy-tables/

Southern Group E

Pos Team P W D L GD Pts

1 Crawley 2 2 0 0 3 6

2 Saints U21 2 1 1 0 1 4

3 Charlton 3 0 2 1 -2 3

4 Colchester 3 0 1 2 -2 1

Read more at http://www.efl.com/checkatrade-trophy/checkatrade-trophy-tables/index.aspx#PPViObZxG5KWQAVS.99

Round of 32.

The eight winners and eight runners up of the north and south group stages qualify for the round of 32. All other Clubs are eliminated from the Competition.

The round of 32 pairings are determined by means of a draw whereby the winner of a group will be drawn at home and will play a runner up of a group from the same region (but not from the same group).

Subject to the requirement above, the League shall determine the format of, and conduct, the draw to determine the round of 32 and the allocation as Home Club and Away Club.

Matches will be of ninety minutes duration, with no extra time. If the scores are level then the Match will be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark (in accordance with the procedure laid down in the IFAB Laws of the Game).

Read more at http://www.efl.com/global/trophyrules.aspx#Vxc4Avf6cAQ9tBvY.99

Yes, we're through:

http://www.efl.com/checkatrade-trophy/checkatrade-trophy-tables/

Southern Group E

Pos Team P W D L GD Pts

1 Crawley 2 2 0 0 3 6

2 Saints U21 2 1 1 0 1 4

3 Charlton 3 0 2 1 -2 3

4 Colchester 3 0 1 2 -2 1

Read more at http://www.efl.com/checkatrade-trophy/checkatrade-trophy-tables/index.aspx#PPViObZxG5KWQAVS.99

Round of 32.

The eight winners and eight runners up of the north and south group stages qualify for the round of 32. All other Clubs are eliminated from the Competition.

The round of 32 pairings are determined by means of a draw whereby the winner of a group will be drawn at home and will play a runner up of a group from the same region (but not from the same group).

Subject to the requirement above, the League shall determine the format of, and conduct, the draw to determine the round of 32 and the allocation as Home Club and Away Club.

Matches will be of ninety minutes duration, with no extra time. If the scores are level then the Match will be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark (in accordance with the procedure laid down in the IFAB Laws of the Game).

Read more at http://www.efl.com/global/trophyrules.aspx#Vxc4Avf6cAQ9tBvY.99

Can't work out why Colchester only have 1 point, surely they got 2 tonight

Anyway, as a result of the match being completely pointless rather than just almost completely pointless, I have decided not to go.

Saving my money for Prague. Or the Round of 32, Christ, could be paying for that in December too. :o

I would be giving Jay Rod the full 90 minutes in this game, even if he is the only first teamer anywhere near it.

He was denied a valuable 90 mins against Sunderland the other week, here's the chance to put that right.

He badly needs game time for sharpness and to get match fit. I hope the opportunity isn't missed here.

I would be giving Jay Rod the full 90 minutes in this game, even if he is the only first teamer anywhere near it.

He was denied a valuable 90 mins against Sunderland the other week, here's the chance to put that right.

He badly needs game time for sharpness and to get match fit. I hope the opportunity isn't missed here.

Jay Rod, Gardos and Austin

Anyway, as a result of the match being completely pointless rather than just almost completely pointless, I have decided not to go.

Saving my money for Prague. Or the Round of 32, Christ, could be paying for that in December too. :o

It's not completely pointless as you point out finishing top of the group is an incentive for a home tie in the knockout stages. I've had a look at the tables and they seem to be missing the extra points for penalty shoot outs from last night, doesn't help the competition's reputation as a farce when they can't even get the basic points total correct.

Pompey's historic victory last night puts them on 4 points joint with Yeovil but with a worse goal difference. If Yeovil lose at Reading tonight I think it's possible for the Skates to go through and who knows Paul Cook might get his dream glamour trip to St Marys that he wanted in FA cup.

We should definitely play Rodriguez and Gardos. It's a shame Harry Reed is injured he needs more games as well. With Hesketh also injured and Jack Stephens with England u21s it is a weakened u23 line up

I for one hope the club do put in a few over-age players to get some match fitness - like others have said Gardos and J-Rod are screaming out for games and it'll be better to give them a run against an ok Crawley team than just leave them on the bench and expect them to do a job in the first team when they're so short of match sharpness.

Be great for the youngsters also to go far in the competition. I'm not saying I fully agree with the competition, but if we're in it, we may as well use it for what it is.

Quote of the year right there.

Crawley Town head coach Dermot Drummy is planning to make changes for tonight’s Checkatrade Trophy match away to Southampton Under-23s.

Reds are already through to the knock-out stage having already beaten Colchester United 1-0 and Charlton 2-0. But they need at least a point to make sure they finish top of the group and claim a home draw in the next round.

Drummy said: “All the injured are going to get a run-out. “My thoughts are let’s give them a game with my mind on the Cambridge game. “We’ll just go and play our game - there’ll be no strategic thing of getting a draw. “I know their coach Martin Hunter and I know he will not be settling for any kind of soft game and not will I.”

Drummy believes he has the players to match the ability of the Premier League club’s youngsters. He said: “We have technical players. We have seen a move from (Billy) Clifford and (James) Collins you would see in the Premier League and it will be the same kind of thing on Wednesday. “I’m pleased it gives other players on the fringe a chance like Jason Banton, Chris Arthur has been close to selection.” “We will be rotating up to Christmas and it won’t be the same 11 players playing every game, so I have got to look at players.” Among those likely to feature are new signings Conor Henderson and Sanchez Watt plus Matt Harrold, who played his first competitive football since August coming off the bench against Bristol Rovers.

SOURCE: http://www.westsussextoday.co.uk/sport/football/drummy-to-make-changes-for-southampton-1-7671304?

Hope many boycott this pathetic excuse for a competition. We enjoyed it and earnt it when we were in League One - by entering U23 Prem teams we're p*ssing on lower league clubs and one of their only chances of winning a trophy. Hope we get knocked out as soon as possible and the low attendances across the board get this sh*t idea shelved next season.