Saints v Crawley

Nordic Saint

Don't agree with what they have done to the competition, but can see why we have entered our u23's.

Now we're in it, I want to see us go as far as possible and will hopefully give some of the younger lads vital experience without having to go on loan.

Really like the look of Sims, every time I've seen the u21/u23's play (not that often) he's been stand out player for me. Could be slightly to lightweight for first team football just yet though.

Don't agree with what they have done to the competition, but can see why we have entered our u23's.

Now we're in it, I want to see us go as far as possible and will hopefully give some of the younger lads vital experience without having to go on loan.

Really like the look of Sims, every time I've seen the u21/u23's play (not that often) he's been stand out player for me. Could be slightly to lightweight for first team football just yet though.

I think he's a little behind Hesketh (who is a superstar at that level), but great to have some promising players coming through as always. I saw that Vokins played again last night - didnt he make his under 21 debut last year at around 16 and get quite a few games? Exciting to see the youngsters coming through.

I think he's a little behind Hesketh (who is a superstar at that level), but great to have some promising players coming through as always. I saw that Vokins played again last night - didnt he make his under 21 debut last year at around 16 and get quite a few games? Exciting to see the youngsters coming through.

I think Vokins was 15 when he made his debut for them. Impressive!

Don't think Reading have been given special treatment.

Reading U-21s

That'll teach me to rely on local rags for my sources of information....

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/14879700.Reading_FC__Royals_face_trip_to_Southampton_after_losing_to_Yeovil_Town_in_final_Checkatrade_Trophy_group_clash/

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14879661.Saints_discover_Checkatrade_Trophy_fate/

Edited by trousers

Pretty sure it is the u23s. The u21s don't exist any more. The EFLT rules say the invited teams (e.g. Prem and Champ academies) must field 6 players u21 in the starting xi, but it is still defined as a u23 fixture.

Scratch all that, I'm wrong. 38f134f30b602eb8c2ea39517ff87e7d.jpg

Edited by Pancake

Pretty sure it is the u23s. The u21s don't exist any more. The EFLT rules say the invited teams (e.g. Prem and Champ academies) must field 6 players u21 in the starting xi, but it is still defined as a u23 fixture.

Scratch all that, I'm wrong. 38f134f30b602eb8c2ea39517ff87e7d.jpg

It's only U21s as the EFL decided to include the Academy sides before the Premier League announced their U21 Development League was becoming the Premier League 2 competition for U23 teams.

I'm finding it just a LITTLE suspicious that all of the U21 sides who could draw another U21 side did (U21s for Wolves and Sunderland drew each other so Leicester U21s got Cheltenham, and Brighton were the only U21 team in their subsection).

Worth noting that they also retained a split in the groups within the regions (A and B sections) so we'd have probably been kept away from the Skates even if they had got through.

Also, exactly half of the U21s got through (8 of 16), and exactly half the senior sides (24 of 48 ).

Why don't we just play all the eligible first team players (JWP, Redmond, Targett, Reed, Stephens and we can all go to Wembley again

Because that would be the most tinpot thing this club could ever do.

Let the kids keep having their kickabouts, it's nice experience for them and when they go out, they go out.

If our kids make it to Wembley it would be highly amusing, especially compared to that shower down the road. But let's not get carried away.

Max 5 U21 sides can get through to the last 16. Not exactly dominant. I would say that shows that the U21 teams are broadly equivalent to the L1 & 2 teams.

To be fair, a lot of teams haven't been taking this too seriously and have found ways around the rules (i.e swapping GK after 5 minutes)

Hojbjerg as well. But then wencould also play any 5 of the other first teamers as well.

In principle I agree with keeping faith with the youngsters but it would be an interesting to see how this line up would fare further down the line:

1.... Lewis (or McCarthy as an over age player)

2.... Valery

3.... Target/McQueen

4.... Ward Prowse/Reed

5.... Stephens

6.... Jones

7.... Isgrove

8.... Hojberg/Hesketh

9.... Olomola

10...Redmond

11...Sims

Above line up does not include Gape/McCarthy and Gallagher who are all out on loan or Seager who is long term injured.

Nor does it include some of the other youngsters who played well the other night v Crawley

I am just interested in how much the inclusion of proven Premiership class players would assist the emerging youngsters in a competitive game, especially towards the latter stages of the competition.

However I am sure the club's management would not risk their inclusion until such time the first team are clear of fixture congestion and away from the drop zone

In principle I agree with keeping faith with the youngsters but it would be an interesting to see how this line up would fare further down the line:

1.... Lewis (or McCarthy as an over age player)

2.... Valery

3.... Target/McQueen

4.... Ward Prowse/Reed

5.... Stephens

6.... Jones

7.... Isgrove

8.... Hojberg/Hesketh

9.... Olomola

10...Redmond

11...Sims

Above line up does not include Gape/McCarthy and Gallagher who are all out on loan or Seager who is long term injured.

Nor does it include some of the other youngsters who played well the other night v Crawley

I am just interested in how much the inclusion of proven Premiership class players would assist the emerging youngsters in a competitive game, especially towards the latter stages of the competition.

However I am sure the club's management would not risk their inclusion until such time the first team are clear of fixture congestion and away from the drop zone

We will not be playing any of those front line players in any stage of this competition.

We're not "keeping faith with the youngsters" in this cup, it's a competition for youngsters.

Nuts. Absolutely nuts.

Hojbjerg and Redmond FFS. You have missed the point of the competition.

We have got a few youngsters who have been struggling to cope with the pressures of Premier League lately, and Hjobjerg and Redmond are two of them. A couple of confidence-building games in the Checkatrade Trophy would do them the world of good,as would a Wembley final for all our players and fans.

Hojbjerg and Redmond FFS. You have missed the point of the competition.

The point of the competition being to provide young players with development opportunities. Given both are u21 why should they not be given those opportunities? I wasn't actually seriously suggesting it, but it is possible, even though neither Redmond or Hojbjerg are our Academy players. Think many people forget that Hojbjerg is younger than the perennial developing youngster JWP.

The point of the competition being to provide young players with development opportunities. Given both are u21 why should they not be given those opportunities? I wasn't actually seriously suggesting it, but it is possible, even though neither Redmond or Hojbjerg are our Academy players. Think many people forget that Hojbjerg is younger than the perennial developing youngster JWP.

Clearly because the Checkatrade trophy isn't a development opportunity for them. They have progressed beyond that.

Its a development opportunity for the likes of Olomola, Sims, Hesketh.

Which is why those players will continue to play in it and the likes of Hojbjerg and Redmond will never feature in it (besides the fact most of the games so far have clashed with either European or Intl games).

Clearly because the Checkatrade trophy isn't a development opportunity for them. They have progressed beyond that.

Its a development opportunity for the likes of Olomola, Sims, Hesketh.

Which is why those players will continue to play in it and the likes of Hojbjerg and Redmond will never feature in it (besides the fact most of the games so far have clashed with either European or Intl games).

So why are you going on about it? I agree with you, but you seem to have a problem understanding that we could do this if we wanted to and it would be in the spirit of the competition which is to give development opportunities to young players, of which Hojbjerg is an example, and one of the younger ones (of those listed earlier) at that.

Sheesh, some people.

So why are you going on about it? I agree with you, but you seem to have a problem understanding that we could do this if we wanted to and it would be in the spirit of the competition which is to give development opportunities to young players, of which Hojbjerg is an example, and one of the younger ones (of those listed earlier) at that.

Sheesh, some people.

He appears to be going on about it as a few, including you, don't appear to grasp it. Yeah Redmond sure needs more games

Great to see that the EFL "Whole Game Solution" is now off the table (due to the FA refusing to countenance midweek FA Cup ties as the norm). EFL really have seemed to have no clue throughout this entire process. This diabolical competition is one facet - but now with the whole game solution off the table perhaps this tournament will be reformed back to including just teams in League One and League Two.

An embarrassment to the club that we accepting the invite, but hopefully we'll be put out of our misery by not having to compete next year.

Great to see that the EFL "Whole Game Solution" is now off the table (due to the FA refusing to countenance midweek FA Cup ties as the norm). EFL really have seemed to have no clue throughout this entire process. This diabolical competition is one facet - but now with the whole game solution off the table perhaps this tournament will be reformed back to including just teams in League One and League Two.

An embarrassment to the club that we accepting the invite, but hopefully we'll be put out of our misery by not having to compete next year.

I'm sure the lads that destroyed Crawley really hated being involved...

As it stayed regional we had more chance of drawing Pompey if they got through, then if it was an open draw.

Not if they had specifically placed us in separate pots so it couldn't happen like they did in the first round, and there were two pots for both North and South sections, so they would have.

They also did that for Stoke and Port Vale in the northern section.

The EFL are clearly clueless, you could see it from their awful rebrand. The logos and so on are nicely done, but adding the "English" to their name just to give them a copycat three letter abbreviation when they were "THE Football League" and their history over the Premier League was one of their big selling points belied a complete lack of understanding of what they actually have and what they should be promoting.

Irrespective of what people think of the adding of U21 teams to the competition, it's the EFL not having the confidence to promote what they do well (the competitiveness of The Championship for instance) and endlessly make changes to things which generally work, which will be the death of the JPT.

They just have to accept that people don't want to attend pointless cup games early on and use it as a marketing tool to kids (Saints' 7pm kick offs were a good example of that) to get them to bigger games, and push the community and regional aspects to build "brand loyalty" from a young age rather than just letting the Premier League steal everyone away - there are plenty of people who'll go to EFL games as well as Prem ones if it's embedded in them early enough.

They could, of course, use their position to support Grass Roots via service provision, if not funding, as well.

Edited by The9

• 2 weeks later...