HULL 2-Saints 1 Post match

Ohio Saint

Where to start. Such a disappointing result which is a microcosm of our season so far. So much of the ball, but did so little with it. 1-0 up cruising and playing a team forced into two changes, woefully short of confidence, yet we showed little desire to get a second, seemingly content playing keep ball in our half to no avail. Then yet again we manage shoot ourselves in the foot and gift Hull a way back to a game.

We have a keeper who doesn't make saves right now for whatever reason. (Hull 2 shots on target, 2 goals), an insipid midfield pairing in Davis and Clasie who seem lost in the opposition third, offering zero creativity and zero goal threat. Couple that with an ineffective Redmond and an out of form Tadic and it's going to be a long season, where it's going to be a struggle to create and to finish those chances.

Interestingly Boufal was originally named in the starting line up, but Puel changed his mind, can't help but think a bit more of the unpredictable creative option might have helped in a game like this.

pathetic performance against an appalling team.

No urgency, no cutting edge, nothing clinical.... just farting around with possession and getting no where...and now looking over our shoulder instead of climbing above the mighty Burnley and Watford... 2 tough games coming up.

If Saints had shown this urgency in the first half they would have the game out of sight by now and cruising

Sums it up. Our attitude at a 1-0 lead that was gifted to us was absolutely terrible. Hull were there to be hit for 4 or 5 and yet we played it safe, ignored space up the pitch and passed it back and let them stay in the game. Was no surprise at all to me when Hull equalised or went 2-1 up.

Too slow and complacent after we took the lead, believed it was won. Totally switched off for both goals and we were then in a position where we had to chase the game we should have had wrapped up, we'd played with such a lack of urgency for so long that it was almost impossible to reverse that. The rest of the performance then became rushed, disjointed and lacking composure.

We should have been ruthless after the first goal, that's what cost us this.

we got what we deserved. Loads of backwards passing and no one able to play a killer ball.

final 3rd was woeful yet again. That is a serious worry.

alright scoring from set pieces/penalties (and getting an own goal) but something must be wrong with patterns of play to be woeful most weeks in the final 3rd

the 1st half was so slow and boring it was unreal. half of this team didnt play on Thursday.

Clasie needs to learn how to play forward. Davis is not much better.

Puel should have made a change at HT.

probably the worst result of the season and Hull played like a pub side in the 1st half.

but we need to sort out the final 3rd in open play as it is a worry and less backwards passing whilst the opposition get set in defence

we are only 3 points above that shower of shyte. that is because we struggle to score goals in open play

Infuriating result, a weekend that makes me hate football.

However, despite several people claiming we should be winning easily on the build up thread, there's no such thing. Doesn't mean we are destined for relegation... On the flip side, even though the win against Inter was great, our performance wasn't particularly convincing, and it's not a huge surprise that with the policy of squad rotation we're going to slip up from time to time. It doesn't mean the policy is wrong, just that it's inevitable we will either be tired or understrengthed in certain games.

Just gutting that we took the lead and then failed to see out the game against a side who are clearly one of, if not the weakest team in the division.

pathetic performance against an appalling team.

No urgency, no cutting edge, nothing clinical.... just farting around with possession and getting no where...and now looking over our shoulder instead of climbing above the mighty Burnley and Watford... 2 tough games coming up.

Gotta ask why always orange ?

Too slow and complacent after we took the lead, believed it was won. Totally switched off for both goals and we were then in a position where we had to chase the game we should have had wrapped up, we'd played with such a lack of urgency for so long that it was almost impossible to reverse that. The rest of the performance then became rushed, disjointed and lacking composure.

We should have been ruthless after the first goal, that's what cost us this.

That about sums it up.

****ed right off with that result. Hull were ****. They didn't even look interested in being out there today but we were so painfully slow at 1-0, more often then not we would pass the ball backwards. It isn't good enough.

This result shows just how much we ballsed up in the Summer. Mane hasn't been replaced. We are missing his unpredictability in the final 3rd. Redmond doesn't offer that and Boufal looks like an alternative to Tadic.

Liverpool up next, not looking forward to that one.

I'll ask the moderators a question. How the **** have some of the blatant wum's on this site not been banned or at least warned? You really can't have a reasoned discussion on this site about a game we've lost. It takes the **** tbh.

I agree - any slight constructive criticism of the team or management is howled down by a cabal of trolls.

International break... I wonder who we'll lose in this one?

Liverpool & Everton next. After Chelsea & Hull that'll make it 4 league defeats on the trot and see us hovering dangerously above the relegation zone.

We'll beat Liverpool and Everton. Guaranteed.

Liverpool are due a dodgy result like when they lost at Burnley and Everton are playing worse than we are.

We have a manager who is more interested in possession statistics than creating chances. We also as a club have had the wrong profile of midfielder for far too long. Davis, clasie, ward prowe all they do is recycle possession rather than looking to probe and create or get in the box and look to score goals. As long as we have midfielders like this in the team we won't go anywhere.

We are totally reliant on Austin to score our goals from open play

All very flat and crap TBH. Too slow and ponderous going forward, no spark and we don't look like scoring too many from open play. Still ridiculous that we lost that but if you don't kill teams off when completely dominant as we were in the first half that can happen. Mildly worrying that we are only 3 points ahead of a truly shyte Hull now.

Not rating Forster of late, can't seem to shot-stop very well atm - anyone know when McCarthy is back? Might be worth giving him a few starts (when healthy), send a message to Forster, might get him back to form.

Also, Boufal looked to be finding his feet - always looked forward, was all over Snodgrass, and played some good balls.

Furthermore, despite being a fan of his to start with, Clasie is struggling I think, very limited for me.

Yoshida was solid at right back but, as is probably to be expected from a centre-back, he literally is unable to put a good ball in - will be good to get Cedric back I think

As frustrating as this result was, I am not overly worried - I think we will finish mid-table (8th - 12th), with good results in cups - realistically this is a good season.

All in all, i think we will be ok, sh*t happens, can't get too hung up on this result

Table looks very tight. 3 points separating us and Hull in 18th.
and 5 points off 6th place.

also...

Top half the table

2nd in our EL Group with 2 games to go

beat Inter Milan at home

last 8 in the EFL Cup

good season so far.

lousy result today

I can't think of one player who did well. We looked tired.
Could see this coming. Coming off a very emotional win Thursday. A string of 5 games in 15 days or so. Tired players, thin squad. The International break in the players view..

tried to coast through this game. it didn't work out.

This team has so few goals in it - not just today but even games we have won should have been by more. This is becoming the main issue in every game and it desperately needs addressing in January. We must make more backwards passes than any other team and the final ball is just pathetic. Such a frustrating game and should have been won well ahead of letting them back into the match. Much work still needed.

Annoying result.

We were so far ahead of them that the away end started the Ole's halfway through the first half. Sadly, I was screaming at the wastefulness and general lack of urgency.

I am putting this down to tiredness. We definitely seemed to lack 10% from the off.

Fair play to Hull. They will need more results like that to go their way in order to stay in the division. They defended as if their lives depended on it.

A nice little break from football now as I stopped watching internationals a couple of years ago.