Sparta Prague v Saints - Build Up

marc_saint

Boufal really needs a run of games now. He was very poor against Liverpool so I'd start him in this one. Needs to get up to speed.

Long Redmond

Boufal

Clasie Hojbjerg

Romeu

Bertrand VVD Yoshida Cedric

Forster

Maybe even give Romeu a rest and start Reed and Possibly give Sam another run out at LB.

Edited by Shance

This one is tricky to predict. I think Claude will make 8 changes.

------------Forster-----------

Martina Yoshida Virgil McQueen

------------Romeu-----------

--------JWP----Clasie-------

-------------Tadic------------

------Long---Rodriguez------

I think that will be close to the line up, might see Gardos on the bench as well , good to see Reed back involved as well. Apparently they have been very inconsistent this season , currently 5th in Czech league which isn't a great standard but they seem to have found form in Europa league. Odd considering how poor they looked at St Marys. I'd take a draw.

This one is tricky to predict. I think Claude will make 8 changes.

------------Forster-----------

Martina Yoshida Virgil McQueen

------------Romeu-----------

--------JWP----Clasie-------

-------------Tadic------------

------Long---Rodriguez------

I almost agree but think he'll try to revert to one of his usual midfield pairings, as IMO, JWP with Clasie is too lightweight.

I'd guess Davis/Clasie, especially if JWP still isn't fit, otherwise possibly JWP/Hojbjerg, but Clasie will get some game time.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Just to make sure I've got this right....

A win puts us through if Hapoel fail to beat Inter.

A draw can't put us through but it means we just have to draw with Hapoel, IF Inter don't win both games.

A defeat keeps it in our hands. A draw in the other game would mean a draw in our last game puts us through.

A draw can't put us through but it means we just have to draw with Hapoel, IF Inter don't win both games.

A defeat keeps it in our hands. A draw in the other game would mean a draw in our last game puts us through.

I'm not focusing on different permutations just yet - I'm starting with a very basic desire: PLEASE SCORE AWAY FROM HOME IN EUROPE SAINTS!!!

Correct on all counts I think. Bottom line is that it's in our hands on the last group game whatever happens.

It's why I think Puel will make 7 or 8 changes. We need a league win pronto and next Sunday is the priority

Anyone feel like Reed might have been tried out yesterday with a view to playing in this game? Perhaps not starting but coming on for Romeu at half time.

Very likely. I think he's being developed as Romeu's alternative. Important, as it's one of the few positions where we can't rotate at present. After an away Europa game most of the team will change back for Everton but Romeu is likely to need to start both.

Using Reed to ease his workload seems sensible and I think he can do a job. Be good if we're winning comfortably when he comes on, though.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Anyone feel like Reed might have been tried out yesterday with a view to playing in this game? Perhaps not starting but coming on for Romeu at half time.

It's very possible. Would give Romeu are break.

Pleased to see Reed back - he got injured a little while back and I wasn't sure how serious it was at the time.

Just about everyone wants to see a weakened team in Europe when there was such a fight to gain a place in the first instance. Very strange. Are we just there to make up the numbers? No one wants/expects Fonte to play. Shame we are likely to bow out without the Captain playing even a single minute.

Just about everyone wants to see a weakened team in Europe when there was such a fight to gain a place in the first instance. Very strange. Are we just there to make up the numbers? No one wants/expects Fonte to play. Shame we are likely to bow out without the Captain playing even a single minute.

The only ones who want a weakened team will be the ones not going !

Let's play a weakened team in Europe so we can concentrate on finishing high in the league and qualifying for Europe next year. That's pretty much the logic.

Pretty sure it's just idiots on here.

From where I am sitting the season is going exactly to plan. In contention to be in the Europa post-Christmas? Yep. Hanging around mid table perfectly nicely? Yep.

I'd mentally written off the League Cup in August but here we are in the quarters of that too. So against my expectations we are exceeding.

I think we've all got a decent idea now of the team we'll play (Puel is smashing it on rotation, far better than RK or MP ever managed) and it'll be good enough to do the job out there.

Edited by CB Fry

Why the fu_ck does anyone want a weakened team? Absolutely retarded view.

Does that make Puel retarded then? :lol:

tbf we have all expected Puel to rotate so shown in lineups posted above.

I think we should ofc rotate, maybe not as much as Puel is doing but Spurs used it to make Kane, we may do similar, like I do think Jay Rod needs minutes to regain form.

Does that make Puel retarded then? :lol:

tbf we have all expected Puel to rotate so shown in lineups posted above.

I think we should ofc rotate, maybe not as much as Puel is doing but Spurs used it to make Kane, we may do similar, like I do think Jay Rod needs minutes to regain form.

Massive difference between fielding a weakened team and having players rotated, well I think so anyway.

It is a bit weird that so many on here are perfectly happy if we field weakened sides in the cups. It will be the same for the Arsenal LC game.

We're bang average in the League, we won't go down and we won't break into the top 4 so why not take the 3 cups seriously? Who knows, we might actually win something for a change.

It is a bit weird that so many on here are perfectly happy if we field weakened sides in the cups. It will be the same for the Arsenal LC game.

We're bang average in the League, we won't go down and we won't break into the top 4 so why not take the 3 cups seriously? Who knows, we might actually win something for a change.

That's what I've been saying. Settle for mid-table mediocrity, and go hell for leather in all the cups.

I think people need to get over the idea there is a first choice 11 and such thing as a weakened team. We have a squad which we rotate and so far in the cup and Europe it has worked well. Puel is going to make changes to the team that played against Liverpool but we have a good squad so it really isn't a reason to get upset.

That's what I've been saying. Settle for mid-table mediocrity, and go hell for leather in all the cups.

I agree with your sentiments but really that is our only choice we just dont have the resources to compete with the big City teams we were lucky last year as Liverpool and Chelsea were so poor but it is not the case this season

I think people need to get over the idea there is a first choice 11 and such thing as a weakened team. We have a squad which we rotate and so far in the cup and Europe it has worked well. Puel is going to make changes to the team that played against Liverpool but we have a good squad so it really isn't a reason to get upset.

But you don't think every player is equally strong, do you? So even if the rotation system works, that doesn't mean that there isn't a team that would be the strongest possible choice.

I agree with your sentiments but really that is our only choice we just dont have the resources to compete with the big City teams we were lucky last year as Liverpool and Chelsea were so poor but it is not the case this season

Anyone with half a brain can see we can't compete with the big boys in the league, last season was a freak season which we benefited from. If anyone thinks that another Leicester is going to happen in the next 20 years they're seriously deluded.

Our option is the cups, in the same way that Leicester are resting players for the champions league we should be doing the same for Europa. In my opinion we can get far if we want, so let's go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But you don't think every player is equally strong, do you? So even if the rotation system works, that doesn't mean that there isn't a team that would be the strongest possible choice.

Clearly not. The trick, which I think Puel is pulling off pretty well, is to blend the weaker and stronger players together and have a system that every player is well drilled in so that changes to the team don't have to much effect. If we just played our strongest 11 (and everyone has a different idea what this is anyway) every game we'd be on a hiding to nothing. We have a good squad we need to utilise it to get the best out of the season and I'm struggling to see why people are having a problem with that.

Clearly not. The trick, which I think Puel is pulling off pretty well, is to blend the weaker and stronger players together and have a system that every player is well drilled in so that changes to the team don't have to much effect. If we just played our strongest 11 (and everyone has a different idea what this is anyway) every game we'd be on a hiding to nothing. We have a good squad we need to utilise it to get the best out of the season and I'm struggling to see why people are having a problem with that.

Agree with this. Assuming we can still get the results, it seems to work well for us with most players getting a game every 7 days. It's benefited Yoshida massively IMO. It's also very useful for the players coming back from injury as we don't put too much load on them.

If we get through to the knockout stages, the round of 32 takes place 2/3 of the way through the league season, and either side of an FA Cup weekend.

If we're safely ensconced in mid table I've no doubt Claude will put out our 'best' 11 (including Fonte for example).

But we need to secure some league wins before that

Spanish officials on Thursday evening. Hopefully better that the Polish one we had against Inter Milan

Interesting to see that he's given 4 red cards and 67 yellows in his twelve games so far this season so seems pretty card happy...

http://uk.soccerway.com/referees/jesus-gil-manzano/153670/

Group K, 24 November 2016, 19:00 CET

Generali Arena, Prague (CZE)

AC Sparta Praha - Southampton FC

Referee: Jesús Gil Manzano (ESP)

Assistant Referee 1: Ángel Nevado Rodríguez (ESP)

Assistant Referee 2: Juan Carlos Yuste Jiménez (ESP)

Additional Assistant Referee 1: Carlos Del Cerro Grande (ESP)

Additional Assistant Referee 2: Juan Martínez Munuera (ESP)

Fourth Official: Roberto Alonso Fernández (ESP)

UEFA Referee Observer: Francesco Bianchi (SUI)

UEFA Delegate: Claude Runavot (FRA)

Spanish officials on Thursday evening. Hopefully better that the Polish one we had against Inter Milan

Interesting to see that he's given 4 red cards and 67 yellows in his twelve games so far this season so seems pretty card happy...

http://uk.soccerway.com/referees/jesus-gil-manzano/153670/

Group K, 24 November 2016, 19:00 CET

Generali Arena, Prague (CZE)

AC Sparta Praha - Southampton FC

Referee: Jesús Gil Manzano (ESP)

Assistant Referee 1: Ángel Nevado Rodríguez (ESP)

Assistant Referee 2: Juan Carlos Yuste Jiménez (ESP)

Additional Assistant Referee 1: Carlos Del Cerro Grande (ESP)

Additional Assistant Referee 2: Juan Martínez Munuera (ESP)

Fourth Official: Roberto Alonso Fernández (ESP)

UEFA Referee Observer: Francesco Bianchi (SUI)

UEFA Delegate: Claude Runavot (FRA)

Crikey. 9 out of the last 10 matches he's officiated have had 5 plus bookings. I'll see what the bookies are offering on those markets for Thursday

If I was in charge I would go with a strong squad for this one, really go for the win and ensure qualification from the group. Then i'd rest a few more in the remaining Group K matches and focus on Premier League points. That said, I think we've done a great balancing act so far.

If I was in charge I would go with a strong squad for this one, really go for the win and ensure qualification from the group. Then i'd rest a few more in the remaining Group K matches and focus on Premier League points. That said, I think we've done a great balancing act so far.

A win doesn't necessarily ensure qualification.

Clearly we have a few stars, though relative to previous years, the quality of the first team is down, though that of the squad is higher. As such it makes it harder to distinguish cases where we're rotating the squad from ones where we're playing a weakened team.

A win takes a lot of pressure off the final group match so that makes sense, but with Everton, then Arsenal coming up in matches that we will want to win, I can see Puel continuing with the rotation policy. I would expect Martina, Yoshida and McQueen to come into the defence and JRod and Long to get a go upfront from the start. I'm pretty sure the plan will be to get a draw as a priority and a win of we can nick a goal or two.