Weekly points, positions and goals scored compared since return to PL

Pass the Dutchie

Instead of hijacking Minsk’s thread, I thought I’d start this new one for those of us who enjoy a graphic representation of our weekly progress in the league compared to previous seasons. Whenever I have the time I’ll try to post a weekly update of the three charts: number of points / PL position / number of goals scored.

Points after 12 games:

PointsMD12.jpg

Edited by Pass the Dutchie

Yep, certainly feels like the worst league season in a good few years, been punching above our weight last few years. Not sure we have the goals in us to compete towards the top end as we have done the last few years. I guess we also have the impact of Europa league on our squad.

I'd take top of the bottom half, and a good cup run or two, certainly not worried about relegation....yet...

Yep, certainly feels like the worst league season in a good few years, been punching above our weight last few years. Not sure we have the goals in us to compete towards the top end as we have done the last few years. I guess we also have the impact of Europa league on our squad.

I'd take top of the bottom half, and a good cup run or two, certainly not worried about relegation....yet...

What is our weight? Our average position in our 40 seasons in the top flight is 11th and we get the 12th biggest gates in the country. An occasional foray into the top 8 is hardly punching above our weight. For our size, we are, along with Birmingham City, one of the the most underachieving teams in English football history in terms of trophies won and that seems to have conditioned some of our fans into thinking the club and its fan base are smaller than they really are.

Thats an excellent set of data, please keep it up.

I think most fans expected this year to be tougher, with the Europa league campaign and losing 2 quality strikers, but progress has been good and looking at the fixtures leading up to xmas there is no reason we should not be maintaining a nice steep gradient between now and then!

So basically a very disappointing start so far, especially given its on the back of our strongest ever finish in the prem and what many have called our best squad.

Given the massive revenues and profits we've made in recent years, there really is no excuse for going backwards.

So basically a very disappointing start so far, especially given its on the back of our strongest ever finish in the prem and what many have called our best squad.

Given the massive revenues and profits we've made in recent years, there really is no excuse for going backwards.

Disappointing start yes, but wouldn't say there was no excuse for going backwards if we have at all. We've been playing more games which was bound to have some effect on our league form.

If we get 7 points from the next 6 games then we'll be on a par with next season after 20 games. I wouldn't describe that as "going backwards" (assuming we get those 7 points from the 18 available of course :) )

If we get 7 points from the next 6 games then we'll be on a par with next season after 20 games. I wouldn't describe that as "going backwards" (assuming we get those 7 points from the 18 available of course :) )

We could pick up 7 points from the next 6 and you'd be right we'd be on par with last season

Problem is we then went on a run of 6 wins in 7 games or something similar and after 26 games had 40 points

Are we going to equal or better this? I very much doubt it

We could pick up 7 points from the next 6 and you'd be right we'd be on par with last season

Problem is we then went on a run of 6 wins in 7 games or something similar and after 26 games had 40 points

Are we going to equal or better this?

Perhaps ask those insightful people that predicted we would get relegated based on our position after 20 games last season...

True, though we won't have Mane this year to basically win the second half of the season for us by himself :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Position after 21 games:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2300[/ATTACH]

That's interesting, well done. What it tells me is that Koemans two seasons in terms of line shape was pretty similar (at least to this point) and that Pochettinos "shape" was fairly similar to Koemans (or other way round given timeline!). In the case of Puebla line there is a totally different overall shape emerging which has more frequent peak and troughs, which would back up a theory that the rotation is not working (which is obvious really) but is causing more differences in performance.

Keep up the good work, love stats, graphs!!