Puel the Tinkerman - it's not working

Heisenberg

I have a few words to describe Puel (& the team) tonight....

But these constant changes are killing our season

Have we played the same 11 in 2 consecutive games this season? Far to many changes and the performances are reflecting this.

3 wins in 11 now, just 8 goals in 11 too

I have a few words to describe Puel (& the team) tonight....

But these constant changes are killing our season

Have we played the same 11 in 2 consecutive games this season? Far to many changes and the performances are reflecting this.

3 wins in 11 now, just 8 goals in 11 too

Completely agree but the main thing is the board letting a great manager go and selling anything that moves and not replacing.

You'll get grief for doing this straight after the game and your post history but you have a point - to a degree.

I understand the need for rotation but depending who is on the pitch we play like strangers at times. I don't know if that is a quality thing or a coaching thing but it's happening. Ignoring individual form were there any combinations whatsoever tonight? I didn't see any. Just a lot of football that seemed like players were hesitant over what do to as they didn't know how the player they were looking to pass to would react or move. It's playing with fear and I hate seeing that.

As for goals it's been the fear all season - not enough goal threat in us as a team. Getting to the point where it feels like set pieces are the only way we will score. I blame the recruitment more than anything else - Redmond as a striker isn't working, Jay Rod deserved a chance but he looks well off it and Long has started the season badly. At times like this you need goals from midfield but we don't have that in us either. A lack of goals will kill us.

tbf i don't buy into the whole 'constant changes killing our season', say we didn't have europa league this year...

we'd be then complaining that our squads too big and lack of game time is effecting them when they eventually fill in.

okay fair enough, 7 changes is definitely over the top, and it is a shame that Pied is injured, personally think Davis and Austin should have started, and I'd rather have played Reed than Clasie with PEH as a shuttle midfielder

tbf to Puel we have a cup team and a league team and both have been fairly similar teams now, surely some sort of relationship should be building in those games or in training ffs.

BUT whatever style we are playing right now, just constant passes around the midfield which leaves the other team time to regroup, this lethargic football- need to see an improvement in that, and also some players just aren't good enough atm for the level we want, absolute passengers- Clasie, Martina and Jay Rod main culprits tonight

Edited by nta786

If you want the same team every week we'd have to get out of the Europa league. Many predicted we'd struggle to rotate and we have.

Leicester have been making 1 change for champions league games

Even spurs with a talented large squad have been limiting changes to 2-3

We make 7 for tonight!!

VVD and Forster need a settled back 4 - it was chaos tonight

It is disappointing that we are not doing better and frustrating that we seem to have a mental block with scoring. At the end of the day, with a club the size of Southampton these things tend to be cyclical. If you want goals and big victories every week then as a Saints fan you'll be disappointed. Just go an cheer for Man C or Liverpool.

I am as disappointed as most on here but I don't see the point in bleating on and on about it. We don't have an ounce of influence over what goes on on the field, what players are bought, sold and selected, so why take it so personally and let it ruin your life.

We'll be back, a lucky bounce here or there and the confidence will be back and we'll get the goals and results.

Also, is this Pelle chap that most are saying that would be smashing them in for us, the same Pelle that the same people were calling a useless statue who does stupid flicks and doesn't score enough last season?

Whichever 11 we have put out for the last few weeks have seemed to lack ideas and leadership, and there is absolutely no cutting edge up top.

He seems determined to stick with Redmond and play him as a striker

Redmond for all his qualities is not a striker and his career goal scoring record reflects this (1 goal in 11)

2 in the last 17 for us now

He needs to give Long and Austin a decent run the in side, let them build a partnership

He seems determined to stick with Redmond and play him as a striker

Redmond for all his qualities is not a striker and his career goal scoring record reflects this (1 goal in 11)

2 in the last 17 for us now

He needs to give Long and Austin a decent run the in side, let them build a partnership

Longs record is 0 in 15 games.

Rotating the squad is required with the amount of games we face this season so cant blame Puel. The issue is some of our squad players are not premier league or europa league quality. Martina and Jay Rod prime examples. Would rather Stephens and Olamola were given a chance to gain experience. Hopefully between January and next summer Puel will be allowed to build a stronger squad.

Leicester have been making 1 change for champions league games

Even spurs with a talented large squad have been limiting changes to 2-3

We make 7 for tonight!!

VVD and Forster need a settled back 4 - it was chaos tonight

How is Leicesters performance in the league compared to last season, how have Spurs done in the Champions League...if you're going to try and make a point at least use decent arguments.

Fuch sake! Not seeing the same Long this season at all

Was superb under Koeman

Long was good last season because he had a player like Mane to play off and with - and to an extent Pelle as well. I don't think it's the changes so much as the lack of quality with so many on the pitch tonight ie Martina, J-Rod, JWP, Clasie, Long, Redmond (as a striker).

Whichever 11 we have put out for the last few weeks have seemed to lack ideas and leadership, and there is absolutely no cutting edge up top.

This is Puel utilising squad rotation at its best though. We have a weekend (or should that be weakened?)XI he puts out, and they're unable to score a goal between them. Then for Europa League and EFL Cup matches he has another XI who are equally as good at putting a chance away.

easy for everyone saying 'its a problem' etc

no one seems to be offering solutions though.

what is the answer? to spend some more simply?

I hate to agree with Glasgow but I think the answer is a settled side until we get back on track, ie scoring goals and winning. We have lost our way a little and need to get back on track in the league and the europa.

I have a question. When we are attacking, like the tonight game, we place Long and JRod to run where there is no space to run. But when we are defending, like in the game against Liverpool, we place Austin who has no legs to run on an counterattack. What PUEL was thinking?

It's a bit odd. An untrained eye can see that the overall quality of the starting eleven dips if he insists on rotating the squad, and yet he continues to pursue such a policy, in spite of certain games appearing important, yet winnable, and then we go on to not get a result because of fielding a weakened bloody team.

Either the squad isn't good enough for the policy, or it's the wrong by policy for the squad. Bottom line is, thins ain't going right for puel over past few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not so much the changes as the tactics.

It was 70 odd min tonight, we had the ball on the flank, and one player in the box, then the other winger on the far side. They had their entire team back.

These tactics of passing at slow tempo are killing us, we don't comit players forward to attacks which we have done non stop in seasons gone by.

Ultimately the buck stops with Les Reed. If he wants to sell the team every summer and brag about the player and coaching scout networks, then he needs to deliver.

So far he has delivered a very mediocre team and one that is unable to really look threatening. The players body language towards each other is also deteriorating rapidly in recent games.

Worrying times.

If you want the same team every week we'd have to get out of the Europa league. Many predicted we'd struggle to rotate and we have.

Tbh I don't think the rotation itself is the issue as much as the fact that the players we rotate in are just not of the quality we require . Also that Puel doesn't adjust the formation to suit the players that he picks

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

easy for everyone saying 'its a problem' etc

no one seems to be offering solutions though.

what is the answer? to spend some more simply?

Kat needs to accept the fact that her father has already left her more money than she can spend in her lifetime so she really doesn't need millions more from the Premier League and selling our players. That really is the solution. I've got a horrible feeling though that's she's going to sell the last top class players we've got left before selling what's left of the club to the highest bidder.

We need an owner like Chelsea's, Man City's, Tottenham's or Leicester's, who's a fan of the game and wants to invest in his or her dream of winning trophies with a football club because that's how trophies are won. It's always been the same like when Jack Walker bought our best players to win the Premier League for Blackburn. But, getting a generous owner like that is like winning the lottery and in 131 years we haven't won it yet. The good news is Pompey's owners are skint so we're by no means the worst off.

Completely agree but the main thing is the board letting a great manager go and selling anything that moves and not replacing.

Cos that great, great manager did so well in Europe last season.

We only need to get a home draw against an Israeli side to qualify from our group and then who knows.

That's a slightly better position than last year's Ronald Konman Midgetland farce.

Knew this would be started by that needy tw at who can't help himself.

Tinkerman - we are still in both cups so can't say it ain't working yet. We look dire of late but as is common everyone thinks there's a quick fix and of course will always be a scapegoat. Less than a month ago Puel was being lauded as master tactician for performance at City on back of impressive displays against Burnley and Inter.

It's not Puels fault Rodriguez swang his leg at the ball when a more composed striker would have have slotted it into the corner of the net. It's not Puels fault Martina fell asleep and lost his man. The stats show we're having lots of possession and creating PO

lots of chances. It's clear that we're still a decent side but we lack that cutting edge and ruthless streak we need. We gambled on Long repeating last seasons form and Rodriguez getting near to how he once was and it hasn't paid of so far. The fact is neither have for anywhere near where thus could be and especially in the case of Rodriguez it's sad to see, but at the moment both look like they've been dragged in from the terraces rather than being top flight strikers. It's needs addressing in January, we won't go down but the moron fans will become increasing frustrated and blame the wrong people as usual.

There are a number of positions that are either easier to replace or do not have as much impact if the replacement isn't as good as their predecessor. One of the reasons I wasnt fussed when Shaw went. Full backs can augment a team, but they don't make a team.

However, One of those positions is a goal scorer and whilst we managed to replace Lambert, it has to be recognised that we haven't managed it this time after lettingtwomsources of goals go (eg Pelle & Mane).

If we can see it,then I presume the experts can too. What they will do about it it is another matter. Goalscorers are a rare and sought after breed, but wshe desperately need to unearth someone or get the cheque book out.

We're a pretty decent team, just need some goals and can't see the current options providing enough of them

I think it's more about the Sparta boss getting it spot on. Most sides like to kick towards their most vocal fans second half, they attacked their Ultras end first and got the killer early goal. They then sat back with 2 tight banks of four and knew we'd struggle to break it down. I'd guess they'd done their homework on us and it went exactly to plan.

It was sh*t plenty of times under Koeman, for Hull away and Prague recently, it was probably worse away at Sheff Utd in the cup and last year in Midtjylland. This time last year it wasn't great, Pele and Mane were inconsistent and Long didn't turn up until the second half of the season. There's hope yet, but not looking forward to a trip to North London next week...

I can understand his ‘tinkering’, Premier League is always going to be priority, it’s the most important thing to the people running the football club, so with the demands of Europa and other cup football there’s going to be rotation. I can also understand playing cautious away from home in Europe, a draw away is a good result but it’s dangerous when you concede early and are weak up front.

What’s harder to take is the obvious instruction to just keep possession, midfield pass after slow sideways pass but ultimately nothing at the end of it. After a poor start to the season, the introduction of Hojbjerg was a breath of fresh air, he immediately picked up the ball and looked to drive forward. He appears to have been reined back more now but we really need a player occasionally breaking from deeper and getting in the danger area. We’ve become too ponderous and predictable. What is it about this time of year and Saints?

So "it's not working" all this tinkering?

We're in the league cup 1/4 final. We're one home win away from getting out of the Europa league group, and we are mid table . For Man Utd or Arsenal that might be "not working" , but I suggest it is for us. Seriously, what do people want . This isn't the 1970's or 80's when you play your best side each and every game. If we did, chances are Charlie Austin & Fonte, would be facing long lay offs.Steve Davis would be knackered, Cedric would be picking up niggles left right and centre and Bertrand wouldn't have got over his problem . All this with a stupid number of games coming up in Dec. He's not tinkering for the sake of it, he's tinkering to get us through 50odd games this season being as fresh as we can.

So "it's not working" all this tinkering?

We're in the league cup 1/4 final. We're one home win away from getting out of the Europa league group, and we are mid table . For Man Utd or Arsenal that might be "not working" , but I suggest it is for us. Seriously, what do people want . This isn't the 1970's or 80's when you play your best side each and every game. If we did, chances are Charlie Austin & Fonte, would be facing long lay offs.Steve Davis would be knackered, Cedric would be picking up niggles left right and centre and Bertrand wouldn't have got over his problem . All this with a stupid number of games coming up in Dec. He's not tinkering for the sake of it, he's tinkering to get us through 50odd games this season being as fresh as we can.

You seriously seriously think professional footballers (athletes) can't play 3-4 games over a 2 week period? How pathetic do you think these guys are?

We are not talking about a marathon or 2 everyday for a year - we are talking about 90 minutes of football 3-4 times in a fortnight

You seriously seriously think professional footballers (athletes) can't play 3-4 games over a 2 week period? How pathetic do you think these guys are?

We are not talking about a marathon or 2 everyday for a year - we are talking about 90 minutes of football 3-4 times in a fortnight

0.0005/10

To be honest. this thread could equally be named "Les Reed the tinkerman - its not working".

The players we've had and the profits we've been making from players sales and increased tv revenues means there is no reason why we shouldn't have kept most of the squad together and achieved top 4 by now.

Shaw, Clyne, Toby, Morgan, Wanyama, Lallana, Lambert, Mane, Lovren, Pelle, Chambers, Boruc, Poch, Koeman - Its a shocking list of people we have lost over 3 transfer windows.

When you consider that we could add VVD, Romeu, Davis, JWP and Bertand to that for £30m...

And people say Nigel Adkins underachieved.

To be honest. this thread could equally be named "Les Reed the tinkerman - its not working".

The players we've had and the profits we've been making from players sales and increased tv revenues means there is no reason why we shouldn't have kept most of the squad together and achieved top 4 by now.

Shaw, Clyne, Toby, Morgan, Wanyama, Lallana, Lambert, Mane, Lovren, Pelle, Chambers, Boruc, Poch, Koeman - Its a shocking list of people we have lost over 3 transfer windows.

When you consider that we could add VVD, Romeu, Davis, JWP and Bertand to that for £30m...

1. When a great player wants to leave and is forced to stay, how well will they continue play?

2. Players like coming to Southampton because they know it's a great station on their way to even bigger clubs. Take that prospect away and many of them wouldn't come here.

3. We've actually been doing well, despite some recent disappointments.

I for 1 am not blaming Puel. I believe he will play a strong side in the last game to get the result we need.

Many questioned the lack of signings to replace the quality that left, all the nonsense that Charlie was signed as Pelle was leaving was always a nonsense as we were short of forward back up even when he arrived.

The case is that Puel has to try and protect the major players as our squad is thin of quality. When he joined he did say he was happy with the squad we had, but as his position was not strong he had to toe the club line.

Lets wait and see what happens in the next game and see if we progress through, then last night will be forgotten

Have you ever played football? Whilst i agree playing 3 games over a 2 week period should not be a major problem but for 8 months it is

I'm not sure you really understand how this football lark works.