Saints 1 Everton 0

St Chalet

MotM vs Everton (Home 2016/17)  

325 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Everton (Home 2016/17)

We look so much better without Davis and Clasie ****ting up the midfield.

Sims had an excellent debut and gives us plenty to be excited about.

Cedric was outstanding and Hojbjerg had his best game yet.

Virgil and Fonte superb as always and Lukaku looked completely shackled. Had it not been for Stek that game would have been wrapped up earlier.

Much, Much better. We actually looked a threat going forward and created some good chances. Every single player (bar Redmond who I thought was poor) put in a good shift today, and VVD, Sims, Soares and Hojbjerg were my stand outs. Ward-Prowse missed a sitter, but apart from that, I thought he had a good game as well. Lets not rotate too much and look to have a good go at what will probably be a weakened Arsenal on Wednesday.

Virgil and Fonte superb as always and Lukaku looked completely shackled. Had it not been for Stek that game would have been wrapped up earlier.

Yes he was. I have to say he now makes Cuco look ordinary.

Clean sheet

+

Beat Koeman's Everton

+

Excellent debut from another academy graduate

+

Top half of Premier League

+

3 points behind 6th

+

Good chance of qualifying for Europa League knock out stages

+

In Quarter Finals of League Cup

=

MELTDOWN

Puel's come in for a but of stick lately. But thank you Claude for giving game time this season to Sam McQueen, Jake Hesketh and Harry Reed. And thanks most of all for going all left field on us and giving Josh Sims his debut against Ronald 'can't win anything with kids' Koeman. Sweet.

Well that was very satisfying.

Very good display, still need more clinical edge in the final third as we shouldn't have made it such a nervy finish.

It was good to see JWp putting in a good display and having some shots, even if his miss was horrendous.

Been surprised by Sims, the couple of times i'd seen u23 games he hadn't particularly impressed me. Today he was amazing, apart from some final ball decisions.

Thought Long should have been on much earlier though.

Back in the top half, closed the gap on Koeman's Everton. Blooded another youngster. Even happier after Koeman's comments last season on academy. Happy days

Clean sheet

+

Beat Koeman's Everton

+

Excellent debut from another academy graduate

+

Top half of Premier League

+

3 points behind 6th

+

Good chance of qualifying for Europa League knock out stages

+

In Quarter Finals of League Cup

=

MELTDOWN

Ha ha ha

Great result decent performance should've really been a bit more comfortable. Very happy and a proper FU to Keoman playing the academy boys.Sims did great .whole team played well.

Well done Saints!

Koeman will no doubt retire to the golf course for another week to contemplate how to organise his new 'bigger club'

Shame for him though ....

F**king get in there!! Very satisfying victory over Ronald!! Great performance from Josh Sims ..His inclusion must've been a dig at Koeman and then to replace him with McQueen was just sweet!! Should have won by more but who cares, Skates lost, Saints won and Glasgow and Alpine are gutted!!

YES! One in the eye for Ronald, especially with a youngster playing such an important role.

Makes such a difference having a midfielder (Hojberg today) in that central pairing prepared to show a bit of forward impetus. Romeu's presence allows them to do so too.

So much better.

I wonder if we can write off Prague as an off-day?

We created so much more today. Looked completely in control for most of the game. Should've scored more though! JWP: learn to finish.

Very pleasing performance.

Maybe, but can't help feeling it's more to do with the team selection and our 'second XI' not being good enough (or perhaps just not the right combination of players).

From toffetalk :-)

"Look at what the young lad for Southampton did to us today - fearless, energetic, ready to put everything in. I want some of that in an Everton shirt, and I'd rather watch kids have a go and lose than overrated also rans play the ****ing appalling **** they are dishing up at the moment. All Koeman is showing is that he hasn't got it in him to bruise a few egos and take drastic action when needed."

Maybe, but can't help feeling it's more to do with the team selection and our 'second XI' not being good enough (or perhaps just not the right combination of players).

And that we struggle to get goals or break teams down who sit very deep. Lack of height upfront doesn't help in that.

Great win today though. Bertrand, VVD, Cedric, Simms, Austin all excellent.

Far from a perfect performance but a mass improvement. Hojbjerg my MOTM, he was quality from start to finish. Pleased for Sims, brilliant debut for him. This is a huge three points for us, not because of the Koeman factor but because Everton are a very similar side to us and they'll fairly close to us come may IMO. GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree, surely Hojbjerg's best game (skying a few shots aside) - drove forward from central midfield in a way that neither Davis nor Clasie have done over the past few league games. Even JWP looked forward a bit more than usual, and can blame one of his misses on a world class save this time to go with the standard-issue woeful finish that accounted for the other chance.

Sims was quick and fearless, and played a few nicely angled passes in addition to the out and out wing play that will probably get most of the attention. Austin did well, but should've been subbed a good ten minutes before he was, as we had no out ball for most of the latter stages.

Redmond the only real negative - I like him and think he has good technique, but his decision making is generally quite poor, as if he feels a bit weighed down by the role he's being asked to play.

From toffetalk :-)

"Look at what the young lad for Southampton did to us today - fearless, energetic, ready to put everything in. I want some of that in an Everton shirt, and I'd rather watch kids have a go and lose than overrated also rans play the ****ing appalling **** they are dishing up at the moment. All Koeman is showing is that he hasn't got it in him to bruise a few egos and take drastic action when needed."

Nail. Head

[emoji38]

This was reported to have been said by Koeman when interviewed for the BBC a few minutes ago.

"I wasn't aware of Josh Sims when I was here.."

I guess that reinforces the rumoured reason Koemen is no longer here.

No way that he said that. Wow, but I guess we all knew he only played youth when he was forced to

A far more exciting performance today, with Sims my MOTM. James Wardey-Prowsey the best I've seen him play by far, very happy to see that performance, let's ignore the open goal he missed for now.

I'm surprised others thought Hjojbjerg played so well I thought he looked very off today. Redmond another poor one, can't seem to find a Saints shirt with any passes.

VVD and Fonte solid, Cedric excellent. Why can't Forster kick?

Overall, yay yay w00p w00p and a yay.

I think the Everton forum does meltdowns better than we do. They're still 7th FFS :lol:

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/everton-v-southampton-sunday-27th-nov-ko-16-30.92897/page-126

Love this one..."Truly amazing. I'd have thought it impossible less than 12 months ago, but we seem to have found a manager capable of taking us backwards from Martinez. "

Agree, surely Hojbjerg's best game (skying a few shots aside) - drove forward from central midfield in a way that neither Davis nor Clasie have done over the past few league games. Even JWP looked forward a bit more than usual, and can blame one of his misses on a world class save this time to go with the standard-issue woeful finish that accounted for the other chance.

Sims was quick and fearless, and played a few nicely angled passes in addition to the out and out wing play that will probably get most of the attention. Austin did well, but should've been subbed a good ten minutes before he was, as we had no out ball for most of the latter stages.

Redmond the only real negative - I like him and think he has good technique, but his decision making is generally quite poor, as if he feels a bit weighed down by the role he's being asked to play.

He's a bit greedy. Lots of occasions when an easy pass is on but he won't play it/doesn't see it.

To repeat what I said at the start of the season, we have one of the best first choice back 5's in the league, and with Romeu in front we'll always be tough to break down. It is for that reason we can nick results like today. I still feel we'll lacking up front, but if we can get a goal, we're able to defend it comfortably. This season was all about being a work in progress, especially competing for trophies on 4 fronts. I'd like to see us active in the January window but a decent result today.

As for Sims, well done. Looked like he'd been playing for years and was positive going forward, and well played to Puel for having the guts to play him. That's Hesketh, McQueen, Olumola and Sims that have been played in the senior team so far this season, on top of more experienced youngsters like Targett, Stephens, Reed, JWP and Isgrove, and even Lewis has been on the bench. A big middle finger to Koeman.

MOTM for me today was Cedric but I can see why Sky gave it to Sims.