JWP

USA SaintsFan

Quality quality player. has played a lot of games for his age, and is an important player for England. He's bulking up and not afraid to tackle, incisive passer. Works hard, intelligent, model pro. Successive managers continue to select him, suggests he is good. suffers magilton/Oakley syndrome, whereby a lot of the good work he does goes unnoticed.

Wish I knew what planet you were on. He's shocking.

Quality quality player. has played a lot of games for his age, and is an important player for England. He's bulking up and not afraid to tackle, incisive passer. Works hard, intelligent, model pro. Successive managers continue to select him, suggests he is good. suffers magilton/Oakley syndrome, whereby a lot of the good work he does goes unnoticed.

This is about JWP. No idea who you're on about.

Really? Post 97 sums it up nicely for me - this season, Prowsey is getting plenty of game time and his performances, which honestly are mostly quite pedestrian, don't really matter because his rotation will come up again regularly. He was carried by the Wanyamas, Manes etc but when the talent pool around him thins out his limitations are laid bare. I still cannot see how Puel can afford to play him - he can't play a holding midfield role and he hasn't got the skills to play an attacking mid-field position - Sims would have been such a better option in the position JWP occupied against Burnley.

Time for him to go out on loan and prove himself.

I really just don't think he has the ability to make it at a PL club (what does he offer other than side-wards passing and set pieces, which we rarely score from anyway).

Personally, I think VVD should be taking, or at least given a try, with free kicks where were gonna have a shot on goal.

I have seen him perform well a handful of times, and on those occasions he has played positive football, tackled well, and looked very disciplined. However most of the time he is slow, indecisive and cautious.

Perhaps it's an age and maturity thing, perhaps as he grows up he will find his confidence and become a good player. As it is, he doesn't warrant a place in the starting lineup.

He's our worst midfield option. He had a decent game against Inter Milan but since then he's been awful. He's been playing PL football since Nigel sent him out against Man City so has had more than enough time to develop and 'mature' into his role. He's not good enough and never will be in my opinion.

I've been waiting 2½ seasons for him to breakthrough and show us what he has and what he can do. I did that with Gaston as well and he turned out to be a disappointment. JWP should have taken over the Lallana role and be scoring 10 goals a season. But he hasn't and doesn't. Now I am supportive of all our players, and feel that some need time to show us what they are made of. But unfortunately sometimes time runs out and you have to cut your losses rather than keep on flogging a half dead horse.

Much better based on recent performances vs Bournemouth and Liverpool.

IMO he was utter garbage against Liverpool, being especially slow and weak in second ball situations, so you're not convincing me with that reply I'm afraid...

I will refrain from being argumentative and expressing my thought about JWP ability or lack off and instead ask one very serious question.......why have all the previous managers and the present one continued to play him???....what is it that they see that so many on here do not??....It is genuinely interesting to see how many on hear think he is absolute garbage but manager after manager have picked him.

I will refrain from being argumentative and expressing my thought about JWP ability or lack off and instead ask one very serious question.......why have all the previous managers and the present one continued to play him???....what is it that they see that so many on here do not??....It is genuinely interesting to see how many on hear think he is absolute garbage but manager after manager have picked him.

He's never been consistently selected by any manager though. Also, and I'm not saying I believe this, but he's currently our flag ship academy product so perhaps higher powers are pushing his game time?

Yes, Classie is far better and, other than Romeu, has been our best midfielder this season.

not saying much though is it?

I've seen very little to convince me he (Classie) can control or dominate a midfield in any way. Most games he is a passenger. For me he is one of our biggest problems as we get murdered in midfield by the decent sides when once we won that space. He is not up to it and I don't think he ever will be. Hojbjerg has been equally poor. In some of the European games for example he has given the ball away more than any Saints midfielder I have ever seen. That doesn't mean JWP is the answer, but I am just trying to offer some balance to this ugly thread.

I was one of the first to question JWP on here as I saw a player that never got anywhere near an opponent to place them under pressure, something that is crucial in the modern game. He might be seen as the polar opposite of Morgan and Wanyama in that regard, failing to cut out a single pass or make any meaningful contribution defensively for the last few seasons. However, what I have seen this season is more urgency in this area, sharper to the second ball, a bit more physicality (all be it from a very low starting point) as well as a little more quality and pace to his passing. Yes there is a shed load of square stuff that Saints fans seem to hate, but his touch and passing have been sharp. I thought he had a very good game in Milan for example, really dictating play and moving the game along. Maybe that was a one off.

Again, I am not saying he is the answer, but I am still willing to give him more time as he clearly has the first touch to play at this level and perhaps a player without pace needs a fraction more leeway to find his feet and make is way in the modern game.

He's solid, if unspectacular. He has a poor first touch and his reluctance to get into the box means he'll always struggle to stand out, but he is a worthy squad option.

Must have missed the game at the weekend then when he had a good header saved after getting into the box. He's improved that a lot this season.

Still only 22 FFS.

Except for, er, most if not all of the Championship teams and a fair few Premier League ones too. We can debate his role in a team aiming for Europe but don't be ridiculous.

Someone above compared him to Ramirez and I think that were he to go on loan he would have the same effect as the former did when at Hull. He's like Tom Cleverley, but even less capable.

IMO he was utter garbage against Liverpool, being especially slow and weak in second ball situations, so you're not convincing me with that reply I'm afraid...

Don't agree with your opinion at all he was awesome vs Liverpool.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-plotting-20million-move-5460335

Man utd, Liverpool, Man City, Spurs, all keep tabs on him. as soon as he hits prime age (4-5 yrs?), he'll end up at a big club.

More red top rubbish. If Schneiderlin couldn't get a game at MU how do you think JWP would fare? He lacks pace for starters and doesn't score regularly. If we weren't rotating he wouldn't get a game here either.

Well it seems I've accidentally dropped into a JWP hate -fest.

To everyone saying he's a bad player, a slow player, a weak player, an ineffective player I say you don't captain your country at under21's to a Toulon trophy if you are that bad.Saints tactics do not play to his strengths.

He plays a very specific expert role for England and it suits his game and has been very successful in it and so has England indeed such that he is virtually first name on the sheet. He plays as quarterback just ahead of an athletic backline and is there to keep the ball rotating be available for a simple pass from the defenders and then give it to the pacey skillful powerful young England forwards to bosh it into the net. He takes every corner and free kick and penalties. Crap players do not do that. A manager with less pressure twenty thirty years ago might make the team play around this kind of home grown talent rather than make him play alternate games fitting into a system with a load of imports.

Mark my words: JWP will be a full England International. If he stays at Saints which i sincerely hope he will captain Southampton and be club captain for a long long time and one day he will be our new Manager - in 2030 to be precise. And he IS one of our own, Saints through and through and you ought to be goddamn proud we have a genuine bloke and player like that at our club in this day and age of disloyal uncommitted fake cheating over hyped lazy mercenaries.

To everyone saying he's a bad player, a slow player, a weak player, an ineffective player I say you don't captain your country at under21's to a Toulon trophy if you are that bad.Saints tactics do not play to his strengths.

He plays a very specific expert role for England and it suits his game and has been very successful in it and so has England indeed such that he is virtually first name on the sheet. He plays as quarterback just ahead of an athletic backline and is there to keep the ball rotating be available for a simple pass from the defenders and then give it to the pacey skillful powerful young England forwards to bosh it into the net. He takes every corner and free kick and penalties. Crap players do not do that. A manager with less pressure twenty thirty years ago might make the team play around this kind of home grown talent rather than make him play alternate games fitting into a system with a load of imports.

Mark my words: JWP will be a full England International. If he stays at Saints which i sincerely hope he will captain Southampton and be club captain for a long long time and one day he will be our new Manager - in 2030 to be precise. And he IS one of our own, Saints through and through and you ought to be goddamn proud we have a genuine bloke and player like that at our club in this day and age of disloyal uncommitted fake cheating over hyped lazy mercenaries.

The same influential JWP who when push came to shove was dropped/subbed from the U21s side that participated in the 2015 European Championships, his only major tournament?

Edited by shurlock

Totally and absolutely agree. He is somebody a team like Saints needs in our dressing room.

giphy.gif

He's never been consistently selected by any manager though. Also, and I'm not saying I believe this, but he's currently our flag ship academy product so perhaps higher powers are pushing his game time?

Puel is in my opinion obviously being pushed to promote and play academy players by the powers that be - just read the commentary that came with his appointment, his continual rotation of players, (somewhat) unexpected debuts / selections, the 'promote from within' quotes about new players when we're obviously short in areas, and perhaps the least subtle clue - the massive bigging up of the famed academy products on our official sites / social media whenever they get into the matchday squad or play...

I'm not saying this is a bad thing - but we can only sell so many great players and be able to unearth another Ox / Walcott / Bale from the academy... JWP is obviously the managements next big hope but it hasn't quite happened (as yet).

Saints tactics do not play to his strengths.

Mark my words: JWP will be a full England International.

Which tactics? Nigel's , Poch's , Ron's or Puel's because he's been hopeless under every one .

God help us if he ever plays for England . He is nowhere near good enough . The best he can hope for is an Andrew Surman type career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it Maya Yoshida's turn again next week or someone else!?!

If he was as bad as some on here make out, he would have been shipped out by now, if it's not the playground flock of sheep hounding this player or that player, it's the playstation masters of FIFA whatever who know everything about football through beating toddlers with ease over 90 minutes before every bedtime.

.............then of course it could be the Dušan Tadic singers who let him flatter to deceive-simply because he waved at them twice for singing his name.

I remember everyone talking about how good David Prutton was for the England U21's, he turned out to be a pretty crap Premier League player too.

I'd obviously like JWP to do well for us, but the fact is he is average at best, and if people genuinely believe he is going to be a future Saints captain and a midfield maestro for us, I can only assume that means we won't be in the Prem for much longer. I'm sure he's an honest likeable bloke, but a club aiming to be amongst the best should be looking at a higher calibre of player.

Theres no way he'd have made over 150 appearances for us if he hadn't come through our academy.