JWP

USA SaintsFan

he is not good enough. Good dead ball delivery but **** all else. I'm amazed he is still hanging around; he's had 4 seasons now and done very little. 4 goals i think, 2 of those in 1 game and only one from open play. Shocking. I don't buy the 'he's young, give him time' bull****. He's had his time, and we will never progress if we persist with players of his quality. He seems a good lad, but he is Championship quality at best sadly.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

He was utterly woeful tonight after the 2nd minute.

He has good attributes but would never start him against a powerful side full of running because he is a pansy.

Why dont you ****ing support the team instead of ****ing whingeing when they lose you really are a crap supporter.

By the way how many Saints players would get into the Spurs team not many if any apart from VVD as they have better players than us

Why dont you ****ing support the team instead of ****ing whingeing when they lose you really are a crap supporter.

By the way how many Saints players would get into the Spurs team not many if any apart from VVD as they have better players than us

Couldn't disagree more with this. A forum is about discussing things related to our club. Saying someone isn't a supporter for pointing out a flaw is pretty low Imo. Players are not immune from judgement. If someone is not playing well than its natural to receive criticism. Prowse was poor today and has not had a good game since this thread started.

is that not the point of this kind of thread - identifying players that, in some fans opinions, perhaps aren't and maybe won't be good enough to form a side that really competes with the top sides like Spurs, not hangs on for grim life.

He's just not good enough. Technical he's ok but he's one of the weakest players I've ever seen . Rose looked like a man taking the ball off his little kid for the 4th goal.

Needs to be moved on, while we can still get a few quid for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He really is not good enough - neither a defensively minded mid, nor an attacking one, and put up alongside a midfield like Alli, Vic, Dembele etc exposed the Saints midfield and JWP in particular. The frustrating thing is that the very good free kick he put into the box in the second minute seems to give him the currency for continued selection and for the TV commentators and neutrals to perpetuate his "reputation".....but that apart there is very little to his game other than tidy passing. He never makes a run with the ball; never takes a man on; rarely commits to a tackle; runs alongside opposition attacking players and doesn't impose himself on a game. He should be dropped and moved on; but he won't be.

is that not the point of this kind of thread - identifying players that, in some fans opinions, perhaps aren't and maybe won't be good enough to form a side that really competes with the top sides like Spurs, not hangs on for grim life.

I think loads of other fans are going over the top it was highly likely that Spurs would win tonight especially as we dont have any outstanding attackers at the moment

Very few of our players would get into top sides like Spurs that is why our better players leave to go to top teams.

Our players are good but not outstanding I just do not understand why when they get beaten by a better team loads of people say they are rubbish we are a top 10 team not a top 6 team and will lose games like we did tonight.

We are just not going to be able to recruit strikers like Kane and keep them for any length of time unfortunately because we are small in comparison to the top clubs

I hate slagging him because he is a good honest lad who has intelligence but to be brutal he is not, and never will be a Premiership player and you can say the same about Redmond. Reed has a fetish about the Academy that is not helping us progress. Its great to produce young players but there are times when they are simply not good enough.

I think loads of other fans are going over the top it was highly likely that Spurs would win tonight especially as we dont have any outstanding attackers at the moment

Very few of our players would get into top sides like Spurs that is why our better players leave to go to top teams.

Our players are good but not outstanding I just do not understand why when they get beaten by a better team loads of people say they are rubbish we are a top 10 team not a top 6 team and will lose games like we did tonight.

We are just not going to be able to recruit strikers like Kane and keep them for any length of time unfortunately because we are small in comparison to the top clubs

Well let's just give up then should we? They are better than us and we should just accept it?

I hate slagging him because he is a good honest lad who has intelligence but to be brutal he is not, and never will be a Premiership player and you can say the same about Redmond. Reed has a fetish about the Academy that is not helping us progress. Its great to produce young players but there are times when they are simply not good enough.

100% agree.

Well let's just give up then should we? They are better than us and we should just accept it?

Being that you have said on this forum we should have thrown the Arsenal game and have already given up on the Liverpool semi final as a definite defeat, I'm not sure what point you're making.

and never will be a Premiership player and you can say the same about Redmond.

Hector B the highly rated Arsenal full back named him in his side of " most difficult opponents" in the paper last week and twice motd pundits have highlighted what a good player he is this season. So not everybody shares your low opinion of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My view of this continual slagging off of Ward -Prowse, is that apart from being tedious it is very much, differing opinions, and in some cases blind bigotry. I think he has limited effectiveness against a quick pressuring side as Spurs are, but he played much better against Inter (home and away), so he definitely has ability. The jury is still out in my opinion, as to whether or not he will make it.

I've said this for years: with the ball he is comfortable at this level, without it he is a total non-entity. You don't need pace to play in the prem, but if your opponent is technically as good AND does have pace, straight away you are at a disadvantage.

Personally I've seen an improvement in his game this season. I've seen some interceptions, actually getting close to an opponent and even the odd tackle. Much more needed though, especially when up against the better sides.

I think he has improved slightly this season, my biggest criticism of him over the past couple of seasons has been his half arsed attempts at competing for 50/50 or challenges generally. He used to run up to the opposition player, wave a leg and then let the opposition player knock it past him - every time! I would say he is making improvement in this part though, he seems to have added a bit of a bite about him this season and is more convincing in going in for challenges.

As another poster said, he is generally quite weak without the ball and doesn't add much when we are under long spells of pressure without the ball, as per the last couple of games.

I think he is a useful squad player, given current squad, but should never be more than that if he stays at Saints whilst we are in the Prem. For instance, his direct completion in the current squad is probably Davis, and I could not drop Davis in favour of JWP.

I like to be supportive of all of our players, and especially our academy products. But I can't help feeling that he is just progressing enough. Yes, there has been some improvement over the years, but at his age he should be making more of an impact. Too often the game seems to pass him by, and he lacks composure at critical moments, especially in front of goal. For me he's our 5th ranked midfielder, and given the choice I'd start investing in the likes of hesketh (possibly gape next season) than persevere with someone who I just don't think will make it.

I wish I felt otherwise, but that's what i see. On the plus-side, even in the championship he'll earn more in a year than most of us do a decade, so I'm sure he can take some comfort from that ...

JWP - weak physically.

When you look at our multi-midfield options you have these...

Romeu - top man, tough

Davis - top man, best midfielder we have

JWP - weak, not physical enough, can't tackle

Tadic - blows hot & cold, can carry him but not him, JWP & Boufal. That's madness.

Boufal - great player, but he can be the only one 'carried' in other areas.

Hojberg - great potential - but needs time.

So, out of our options, I reckon only Romeu and Davis can be relied upon.

The rest?

THAT'S why we're struggling to win and hold onto games.

JWP - weak physically.

When you look at our multi-midfield options you have these...

Romeu - top man, tough

Davis - top man, best midfielder we have

JWP - weak, not physical enough, can't tackle

Tadic - blows hot & cold, can carry him but not him, JWP & Boufal. That's madness.

Boufal - great player, but he can be the only one 'carried' in other areas.

Hojberg - great potential - but needs time.

So, out of our options, I reckon only Romeu and Davis can be relied upon.

The rest?

THAT'S why we're struggling to win and hold onto games.

that is the best set of midfield options in the country!!!!!!

they paid over £20M for someone that couldn't last 90 minutes, was inconsistent, and couldn't head, tackle or shoot.

Granted, Liverpool have made him a better player since he got there. But, he was overpriced at the time.

he was in the PFA team of the year. how much would anyone else in those side who is an attacker would be sold for...even with the English subsidy required?

they paid over £20M for someone that couldn't last 90 minutes, was inconsistent, and couldn't head, tackle or shoot.

Granted, Liverpool have made him a better player since he got there. But, he was overpriced at the time.

IMO he was undersold. outstanding footballer, I've not seen anyone control the ball on the run like he can.

He was the best midfield player in our team so if what you say is right (not that it is) what does that say about the rest of our midfielders? He is arguably now England's best midfield player. Liverpool could sell him for twice what they paid for him if they wanted to.

Anyone thinking that Lallana wasn't frustrating most of the time in a Saints shirt obviously saw a different player than I did.

Don't forget his hissy fit in the early Championship years when he wanted to go to Wolves.

He wasn't our best midfielder either.

I'm sure lots of those with rosey memories of Lallana used to look for a wave from Skacel at corners too.

I think he's sh*t and always have done.

Totally unsuited to the PL, too slow and not strong enough (it's no surprise his best performances come in EL or for u21's where the game is played at a slower pace).

If he wasn't a local lad everyone would have been on at him ages ago. Time for a loan for him to prove himself, if he doesn't do that, than time to move on.

My guess is that after us he'll end up in the championship team and do a decent job. If he was any good, the top teams would have had him as well.

they paid over £20M for someone that couldn't last 90 minutes' date=' was inconsistent, and couldn't head, tackle or [b']shoot[/b].

Each to their own of course, but to suggest Lallana couldn't shoot is moronic. He scored some brilliant goals for us in all manner of positions.

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the problem with the (required IMO) rotation is that players never really have to worry about getting games, they all will regardless of form.

JWP is a classic example of this. He always plays every other game and is nearly always disappointing. He never does anything to earn his place back because he doesn't need to whilst we have lots of games and whilst Clasie is unable to play more than one game every 7 days.

He seems like a nice lad but just doesnt have what it takes to influence a game aside from set plays.

I also feel he should be left for games which will likely be played at a lower tempo or against less physical teams. Something like Burnley away or the Liverpool away leg are not suited to him at all. Hopefully when we have less games he will need to earn his spot in the team.

After nearly 5 years and over 100 apps the jury is very much still out for me. He will be one of those players with stacks of Eng U21 caps who will see younger players come through and beat him to full honours. Tom Davies from Everton probably one who will develop far quicker and with ultimately a far higher ceiling in that position.

Every summer there are "this will be the year JWP kicks on" comments and he never does.

That Tom Davies (at 17) has already done more in about 3 PL games then Prowse has in over 100. Nice guy by all accounts and clearly the club golden boy, but nowhere near good enough.

Oh, and a skate to boot.

Quality quality player. has played a lot of games for his age, and is an important player for England. He's bulking up and not afraid to tackle, incisive passer. Works hard, intelligent, model pro. Successive managers continue to select him, suggests he is good. suffers magilton/Oakley syndrome, whereby a lot of the good work he does goes unnoticed.

Quality quality player. has played a lot of games for his age, and is an important player for England. He's bulking up and not afraid to tackle, incisive passer. Works hard, intelligent, model pro. Successive managers continue to select him, suggests he is good. suffers magilton/Oakley syndrome, whereby a lot of the good work he does goes unnoticed.

i thought you were on a wind up for a minute, but you mean this don't you ?