Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Who is a better all-round centre back than Van Dijk in a back four? Can you name one? I watch a hell of a lot of champions league and European games, big clubs in other leagues and have done for years. There isn't a better centre back that Van Dijk, he won't go for under 50million

A good example is how VVD's making Alderweireld not look close to as good as he once did in the PL. VVD is now considered the best CB in the league, loads of games this season he's stood out massively for us from CB. He's a monster. And VVD's physicality in terms of height, strength and aerial ability/presence is huge compared to Alderweireld. He's faster too and a winner and a leader. He has everything, the complete CB

I'm not questioning him in epl but he does have lapses in concentration which I feel is his only real weakness, as for rest of world you'd arguably say Boating, Pique, Ramos possibly Bonucci are all slightly above hin

Talk about red & white glasses. There's not much between them , but Toby receives rave reviews from neutrals. He's been injured this season that's the only reason he's not getting much publicity lately, nothing to do with VvD making him making him "not look close to as good as he once did ". Toby can play in midfield & full back & doesn't switch off like VvD does occasionally . I reckon if you took 100 neutrals 50 would pick Toby & 50 VvD ( I would choose Toby btw) , certainly nothing as overwhelming as your post suggest.Hes certainly not considered the best centre half in the league by everyone .

Imagine having both - incredible combination!

Who is a better all-round centre back than Van Dijk in a back four? Can you name one? I watch a hell of a lot of champions league and European games, big clubs in other leagues and have done for years. There isn't a better centre back that Van Dijk, he won't go for under 50million

A good example is how VVD's making Alderweireld not look close to as good as he once did in the PL. VVD is now considered the best CB in the league, loads of games this season he's stood out massively for us from CB. He's a monster. And VVD's physicality in terms of height, strength and aerial ability/presence is huge compared to Alderweireld. He's faster too and a winner and a leader. He has everything, the complete CB

Better or at least as good as VVD:

Silva, Sergio Ramos, Varane, Bonucci, Alderweireld, Boateng, Miranda, Pique, Chiellini, Godin... VVD is insanely good but lets not fool ourself there are some pretty good CBs around too :)

I can live with everything stated in that article.

If Jose left in Jan for 10mil etc I feel we would be ok with Yoshi, Gardos and Stephens as cover (and give these guys a few more games to assess their long term prospects) for the rest of the season.

Virgil will go in the summer to a super club who plays in the champions league every year and will set a new record for a defender, my preference would be Real Madrid just cos we would have another Saints connection.

We could then reinvest 70m back into the team including salaries before any other money comes into consideration.

Would expect 1 killer CB from another league (shout out to the Portuguese defender whose name I've forgotten), 1 AM to inject goals into the team and 1 striker, all under 25yrs old with great form and excellent technique from lesser european leagues as I think dealing with the physicallity of the PL can be learned over a few months and managed with rotation.

I can live with everything stated in that article.

If Jose left in Jan for 10mil etc I feel we would be ok with Yoshi, Gardos and Stephens as cover (and give these guys a few more games to assess their long term prospects) for the rest of the season.

Virgil will go in the summer to a super club who plays in the champions league every year and will set a new record for a defender, my preference would be Real Madrid just cos we would have another Saints connection.

We could then reinvest 70m back into the team including salaries before any other money comes into consideration.

Would expect 1 killer CB from another league (shout out to the Portuguese defender whose name I've forgotten), 1 AM to inject goals into the team and 1 striker, all under 25yrs old with great form and excellent technique from lesser european leagues as I think dealing with the physicallity of the PL can be learned over a few months and managed with rotation.

how on earth can you count on Gardos.

when was the last time he played, ffs

how on earth can you count on Gardos.

when was the last time he played, ffs

Hate to break it to you but he has been getting his fitness in the Under 23 for the last month or so, played 90mins against chelsea and another 86 against newcastle.

A month ago "we" couldnt count on Jay but now he is our main hope for goals.

Thankfully the club have more patience with players.

Hate to break it to you but he has been getting his fitness in the Under 23 for the last month or so, played 90mins against chelsea and another 86 against newcastle.

A month ago "we" couldnt count on Jay but now he is our main hope for goals.

Thankfully the club have more patience with players.

then why are we constantly linked with Wimmer?

Last time he played was 28th November against Everton, where he played 86minutes. Didn't feature against Newcastle or Sunderland in December.

Wonder what Pep thinks of Iheanacho? Not starting when Aguerro is out so if surplus would welcome as part of deal

He's well out of our league. He's played a fair bit under Pep, who I think went with De Bruyne against Arsenal for defensive reasons. But hell, if City are really desperate for Van Dijk then we should definitely try!

I can't see how Everton would want another old centre back to go with Williams and Jagielka.

Indeed. I wouldn't be happy to sign Fonte if I were an Evertonian.

Edited by DuncanRG

Good interview with Virgil in The Times, but nothing revelatory on the transfer front. Says he has ambition, like everyone, but that he is very happy at Saints, an "amazing place to be".

The reporter says in his copy that "This is no come and get me plea".

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e7e24132-c947-11e6-89fb-efb68b0c62ff

Ta. Shame about the paywall.

I can tell you now..and whether you believe me or not, I don't care.

But I can tell you right now, the only way Virgil will stay is if Fonte leaves the club,

especially if any bid comes in from you know who.

The club wants Virgil as Captain, I said it months ago and that goes back to the backend of Koeman..

Fonte is spitting the dummy out about it and has been for quite a while, the 2 barely see eye to eye.

That's the issue that is giving other clubs leverage considering the guy has a 6 year contract.

But I can tell you right now, the only way Virgil will stay is if Fonte leaves the club,

The club wants Virgil as Captain, I said it months ago and that goes back to the backend of Koeman..

Fonte is spitting the dummy out about it and has been for quite a while, the 2 barely see eye to eye.

That's the issue that is giving other clubs leverage considering the guy has a 6 year contract.

Interesting! His contract still leaves the club in the driving seat, though, unless he's got a release clause.

Your track record is abysmal and this guess of yours is nailing your coffin as an ITK.

As in Van Dijk will leave in this window if Fonte doesn't?

None of this adds up for me so I will dismiss it as bullsh!t ....

I can tell you now, this is all completely untrue. The entire issue is Fonte's contract extension. Disregard the above post completely and confidently.

So this is the spin we're going to get from Les on the sale of Fonte in January, is it? He's still going to sell van Dijk as well in the summer so that excuse really doesn't wash.

PS. Are you Jack Schite? I can't remember. If you are then I don't believe you.

He is one of the PR boys so it sounds like Les has decided to sell Fonte in January, even if the rest of the message is spurious. We usually get all of these stories about how a player is 'spitting his dummy out ' and how his team mates will be glad to see the back of him just before he is sold. I guess we'll be hearing the same stories about van Dijk in the summer.

He is one of the PR boys so it sounds like Les has decided to sell Fonte in January, even if the rest of the message is spurious. We usually get all of these stories about how a player is 'spitting his dummy out ' and how his team mates will be glad to see the back of him just before he is sold. I guess we'll be hearing the same stories about van Dijk in the summer.

Exactly, but most of our fans don't want to see it exactly how it is.... As a collective our fanbase actually thinks that every player and manager who has left saints is a bad guy chasing the money... It's never anything saints have done(!) and we're the club where the intensity of this phenomenon (volume and percentage of departing scumbags) is more or less unique...It doesn't happen like this anywhere else in England.... But it's all because of the specific players we hired and developed, not the club. Doesn't say much for our recruitment if all the players end up being money grabbing bar stewards who force a move does it...

Total horsesh!te - You might well believe it to be true and believe the person who told you, but that's pure nonsense.