Jan changes

ally_uk

I have a mate who is a big Blackburn fan. He said to me on Sat that Gallagher has been great for them and is a promising player but that right now he isn't good enough to play for Saints and will benefit massively from more time in the Championship.

He also said Rovers play very direct and a very different style to Saints. Puel recently made comments that tie back to this, suggesting Gallagher still needs work on his technical game.

Leave him on loan.

As I said on another thread, Puel needs to bring in players that suite his game rather than the club looking out for their next golden nugget.

We definitely need a striker with a bit of flair who is not soley dependant on others creating openings for him but who can take on defences and carve out opportunities for others, presumably what Redmond was brought in for but not doing it very well.

A Fonte backup/replacement might be in order.

Let Jay Rod go along with Clasie and Gardos.

Tadic coming back will be a help.

Not seen many striker options touted on here, but i'd be amazed if we didn't ship out Rodriguez and sign a replacement.

Sebastien Halller is the only main striker we have been linked with - has got 9 goals and 4 assists in 15 league games so far this season.

Saido Berahino could be used in a swap deal with Rodriguez - but would probably fail our character assesment and hasn't played much recently.

Aleksandar Mitrovic has been today linked with West Ham and Crystal Palace - not the best record but would surely do better than our other current back-up options, would probably fail character assesment too.

In a perfect world we would sign Moussa Dembele, Callum Wilson or Andrea Belotti, but their value has soared in recent times, so neither would happen.

Anyone worth signing in the french league?

I think one striker would probably be our only business - unless anyone leaves e.g Fonte.

In the summer I would try signing Marco Benassi and Quincy Promes.

Guess we'll see if the club is intending to sell this summer, as the players we'll be linked with will probably be replacing current players. As much as I over JRod, I think he has to go somewhere where he will play every game, maybe 6 months in the Championship will do him some good.

Think we have to bring in a striker, ideally one who can hold the ball up and score from the hundreds of crosses we seem to put in the box (don't know if this is true, just feels that we swing a lot of balls in with 0 success rate)

Historically we've been linked with Ruben Semedo, Ziyech, Franck Kessie, Ademola Lookman, Djibril Sidibe, Thomas Partey, Sebastian Haller, and of course Chamberlain.

As I said on another thread, Puel needs to bring in players that suite his game rather than the club looking out for their next golden nugget.

We definitely need a striker with a bit of flair who is not soley dependant on others creating openings for him but who can take on defences and carve out opportunities for others, presumably what Redmond was brought in for but not doing it very well.

A Fonte backup/replacement might be in order.

Let Jay Rod go along with Clasie and Gardos.

Tadic coming back will be a help.

Are you suggesting a '3 piece' forward line ???

:):)

If Fonte leaves, I'd be interested in Héctor Moreno (from PSV) as a replacement. I have enough faith in Yoshida to take over for Fonte as well while a new one gets used to the team. Also: Jay Rodriguez out, and Alexandre Lacazette (from Lyon) in as a forward. This will mostly stay a fantasy, probably.

I'm fine with keeping Martina while Pied works on his recovery.

I'd be surprised if Fonte leaves in January, but if he does I have faith in Yoshida to step in on a more regular basis, he's been very solid; would even go so far as to say it's been his best start to a season for us so far. Would like to see a young promising defender come in during the window though to come in alongside Van Dijk next season (praying beyond hope that we keep Virgil, he is a truly outstanding player).

We are in need of another striker, I'm not a pessimist by any means but even the most positive of fans has to admit we need more firepower and that, sadly, Rodriguez and Long just aren't cutting it so far this season. I have hope they can recover some sort of form, but I have to concede I now feel their best days at Saints are behind them. I really hope they can prove me wrong though! If we had to ship either out Rodriguez on loan makes most sense, but I'd rather see him stay as another option for squad depth. The question is who can we realistically get in in January without being utterly ripped off? Berahino? Hasn't played let alone scored in the Premier League for a good year, but has a lot of potential. Not seen much of this Haller guy, but we need anyone who can finish to help out when Austin is having an off day.

Other than that, we just need to cut this complacency out of our game! Against both Hull and Palace it looked like our team just turned up expecting the other team to roll-over, then gave up a bit when they realised they had a game on their hands.

We need a new CB, regardless of what happens with Fonte. If he stays, he's got no more than one more season ahead of him at his current level, so we need to be thinking ahead. CB has always been one of our most important positions, we shouldn't wait until we have a problem to do something about it. If he leaves, we have to do it anyway. Similar to Austin 'replacing' Pelle before Pelle actually left.

We need a new striker. Not an Austin equivalent who'll put away chances created for him, but somebody who can make things happen. Spend big here, IMO. Not 'up and coming' players who have had a good season (e.g. Wilson) but proven, tried and tested, been there, done that, safe bets... who you'll pay a pretty penny for, but with a greater chance of an instant return.

Otherwise, I don't think we need anything else in Jan. McQueen and Sims have proven they're ready; Reed is a steady option for cover and rotation; Pied will come back from injury for next season; Yoshida is looking better all the time, McCarthy looks capable as a 2nd choice. and if we did get another striker, having Long and Austin competing with them is a healthy amount of competition (assuming JRod is sold or loaned out).

Accept it is not always best to sign players in January but my 'wish list' is:

1. Replacement for Martina

2. Replacement for Fonte - if he goes

3. Central defensive cover, assuming Gardos and Stevens are either ruled out through injury or not being good enough

4. Striker!!!

5. No 4 will unfortunately have to be at the expense of Jay Rod which is a shame but.....

6. Transfer out of Jordy C to be replaced by a more robust midfielder (possibly have to wait until the summer)

In order of priority:

1. A striker. A clinical bastard who will terrorise defenses and score a bucketful.

2. See number 1.

3. Ditto.

Someone like Aguerro or Costa. I would've said like Messi, but that may be asking too much.

I'll keep banging this drum until Les listens to me. Closest thing to Agüero that we can get our hands on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdYJeXI7-9g

yeah we need to try and exploit that south american market which porto and benfica usually do- currently, i reckon if you did a south american xi vs a european xi, south america would win.

some big talent there that british clubs dont really tap into, man city did with gabriel jesus but that was at a big price too.

I'll keep banging this drum until Les listens to me. Closest thing to Agüero that we can get our hands on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdYJeXI7-9g

Good player no doubt, but two concerns here:

Work permit ?

Experience to date of Saints mixing South American imports appears a risky strategy and hasn't yet really worked.

But good clips though, and good to see the red sash shirts his club are wearing.

Good player no doubt, but two concerns here:

Work permit ?

Experience to date of Saints mixing South American imports appears a risky strategy and hasn't yet really worked.

But good clips though, and good to see the red sash shirts his club are wearing.

Italian passport.

Small sample. One was a crock, one didn't fit our style of play very well (and was injured half the time) and one was already known to have a few screws loose. With the last two our recruitment process was bypassed by our ex ceo and with the first one... did we even have a recruitment process back then?

I miss the sash :(

If you listen to the resident experts we already have too many players and should just play the same 11 all year with no rotation. We don't need any more.

When we lose, which we never really should over a season if Puel had a clue, it is important to set an example and sell whoever has had a bad game.

Our priority should be to get in an overweight prima donna who had a few good games years ago and once looked promising, lazy in training, regularly throws strops and cannot get in WBA squad.

Martina, gardos, clasie and jrod out

Chambers, a quality CB, schneiderlin and berahino in

Chambers is better off where he is for us and him, yep, we can't afford him, and doesn't have the necessary mental qualities, respectively.

Martina and Clasie are completely fine, Gardos won't go anywhere until fit or out of contract, Rodriguez... hmmm, does he need games for us or to go somewhere else to see if he's still got it?

yeah we need to try and exploit that south american market which porto and benfica usually do- currently, i reckon if you did a south american xi vs a european xi, south america would win.

some big talent there that british clubs dont really tap into, man city did with gabriel jesus but that was at a big price too.

Anyone would think that Brazilian players moving to a country where they already speak the language would be some kind of advantage or something.

Chambers is better off where he is for us and him, yep, we can't afford him, and doesn't have the necessary mental qualities, respectively.

Martina and Clasie are completely fine, Gardos won't go anywhere until fit or out of contract, Rodriguez... hmmm, does he need games for us or to go somewhere else to see if he's still got it?

martina is not fine, he is shyte

Italian passport.

Small sample. One was a crock, one didn't fit our style of play very well (and was injured half the time) and one was already known to have a few screws loose. With the last two our recruitment process was bypassed by our ex ceo and with the first one... did we even have a recruitment process back then?

I miss the sash :(

You seem to have forgotten our other stellar South American signings!

Frederico 'the torpedo' arias -sunk without trace!

Keleber Challa -Delgado's cousin/wet nurse watched him warm up during a Carling cup match in Bolton.

Marcelo Sarmiento -watched him against Notts court we lost

Marcelo Tejera - loan signing who disappeared along with 100k when redknap was boss!

Can't think of many good ones!

You seem to have forgotten our other stellar South American signings!

Frederico 'the torpedo' arias -sunk without trace!

Keleber Challa -Delgado's cousin/wet nurse watched him warm up during a Carling cup match in Bolton.

Marcelo Sarmiento -watched him against Notts court we lost

Marcelo Tejera - loan signing who disappeared along with 100k when redknap was boss!

Can't think of many good ones!

Can you blame me for not remembering that lot?:lol:

Not many good ones? Have you forgotten the legend that is Guilherme do Prado?

Since Fonte may well be leaving, here is my suggestion for the coming window Les (and again, Italian passport before anyone asks about work permits):

Not sure I want to see us filling the first team with untested South Americans with Italian passports I still remember derby's future legend Esteban fuertes getting turned away at customs six months after he signed for them and who was that idiot at Fulham with the zoro mask in his sock?

Its abundantly obvious that we need goals. Some of these need to come from the Romeu, Clasie, Davis, Hoijberg, JWP midfield, but more has to come from Long, REdmond, Tadic and Boufal forwards. Sadly I think it is time to let JRod move on to re-ignite his careeer, somewhere like Newcastle might be perfect for him, and to replace him with a more expereinced player (particularly if we get through tomorrow night) who can offer a Pelle/Lambert type style.

I also think we need to replace Fonte for next season and if that happens in Jan all the better.

Its abundantly obvious that we need goals. Some of these need to come from the Romeu, Clasie, Davis, Hoijberg, JWP midfield, but more has to come from Long, REdmond, Tadic and Boufal forwards. Sadly I think it is time to let JRod move on to re-ignite his careeer, somewhere like Newcastle might be perfect for him, and to replace him with a more expereinced player (particularly if we get through tomorrow night) who can offer a Pelle/Lambert type style.

I also think we need to replace Fonte for next season and if that happens in Jan all the better.

It's an interesting debate: Lambert / Pelle type striker? Or a Mané type quick forward, able to create their own chances.

Just watching the CL Goals Show on BT Sport and interesting comment from James Richardson when discussing Porto saying how many quality youngsters that they've got although some many move in January as the club is heavily in debt. Not sure if anyone has seen much of Porto, Brahimi is their main striker, and whilst I think he was mentioned in the summer, he may be out of our price range. But do they have anyone else that might be worth a look at?

Very interested to see that no-one has mentioned the likelihood of Virgil leaving in the January transfer window when it's been all over recent news. Know I'm on the other side of the world so may have missed something but losing him would be the worst that could happen to this team. He's the one truly consistent, dependable and constructive player who at least looks like he cares about the result. His frustration is evident which shows he has passion. Can't believe that he will stay when he can achieve so much more elsewhere. Otherwise, agree that we urgently need a striker who will really take on defences and looks like scoring every time he's out there. Someone like Jermain Defoe. I know most posters don't rate him for some reason but he's always there or thereabouts.

Very interested to see that no-one has mentioned the likelihood of Virgil leaving in the January transfer window when it's been all over recent news. Know I'm on the other side of the world so may have missed something but losing him would be the worst that could happen to this team. He's the one truly consistent, dependable and constructive player who at least looks like he cares about the result. His frustration is evident which shows he has passion. Can't believe that he will stay when he can achieve so much more elsewhere. Otherwise, agree that we urgently need a striker who will really take on defences and looks like scoring every time he's out there. Someone like Jermain Defoe. I know most posters don't rate him for some reason but he's always there or thereabouts.

If by all over recent news you mean Alex Crook and his mates sh!t stirring followed by "the news" bouncing around the tabloid echo chamber as they cite each other as sources or simply copy paste, because since when have the tabloid ever bothered with sources.

Darren Lewis from the Mirror was on Jim White's talksh!te show and all but admitted the Virgil stories were fabricated clickbait. Virgil won't be going anywhere for a very long time, unlike Fonte who will be gone either now or in the summer.

Defoe is just another Austin, he scores a lot because the entire team is set up to create chances for him and only him, much like Austin when he was at QPR. They don't do much other than waiting for chances to fall for them. Playing like that comes at the expense of creating goal scoring chances in greater quality and quantity that might otherwise fall to other players, making the team more predictable, and doesn't do much for defensive solidity either as teams lose the ball more often by playing more higher risk passes in attempting to find their main goalscorer in the box, even when there is little chance of pulling it off and would have been better to continue to move the ball around and wait for an opening.

The "Austin scored a lot of goals for a sh!t team" comes up every now and then, but ignores the fact only Agüero took more shots than Austin, Bobby Zamora of all people was one of the top chance creators that season mainly because of the endless knockdowns and QPR's attack wasn't even all that bad, it was their defense that was particularly horrible.

We would be better off signing an all rounder who doesn't just depend on others for service but can create chances for himself as well as for his teammates. Defoe is not that player and doesn't give anything Austin already does.