We want, Jose Fonte!

Charlie Wayman

I was surprised Fonte didn't get the chance to play in the San Siro. I would guess he would be annoyed at missing the opportunity. I know I would, but in general I think Puel has been wise to rest him during the Europa Cup. In the end, the season as a whole matters more.

As regards his contract. It makes total sense to me that he is not offered an extension in terms of years. He will be five months from his 35th birthday when his current contact ends. Do we really want to paying a 35/36 year old £80k, £90k or perhaps more a week?

For once we hold the cards. We have him signed on a contract that is just long enough to see the best of him. After that we can offer a one year deal if he is still playing well. If he has faded we can let him go wherever he wants. The club gave the right deal at the right time.

If he wants to go elsewhere now that's up to him. But remember, he signed his current contract with us. No one forced him to. We've offered him more money - we didn't have to do that, but the club values his role at this moment and is willing to reward accordingly. What they are not going to do is hand out a contract extension that means he is earning a shed load of money, but possibly (due to his age) not able to put the performances in that warrant that wage. The club has it spot on IMO

We don't want an unhappy player, but if he thinks he deserves an extra year, then earn it over the next 18 months. Come then end of his current deal if he is playing well he will get another contract either with us or someone else.

Everyone says football is a business these days (which I hate, but I guess its true), well this is just business.

Completely agree with everything you have said. Spot on :)

Put it this way folks. If saints want to keep him, they'll play him. If they are getting rid of him, they won't.

Fonte wants to stay and he wants to be part of saints European adventure. Should be interesting seeing who wins out in the end.

Its idiots like you that keep swalling the PR crap from the club which encourages/enables them to get away with it. The treatment of Jose is appalling. He clearly wants to be here and he clearly wants to play in these games.

You probably believe that every single player we've sold since Poch left was a "bad-un" and the club were perfectly right to get rid of them, or had no choice, etc etc... Just like with Koeman, Les Reed wants rid. Hopefully this time the fans will use their brain cells and see it for what it is.

If the club offered him a pay rise when what he really wanted was a 1 year extension you have to wonder why they didn't just offer him the extension and no pay rise... pretty much costs the same. Likewise why would he turn down a "no strings attached" pay rise?!?!?

Looks like he is being forced out at the moment, and that ties in with some of the more interesting articles that have come out.

Er, riiiiight.