Dave Maclaren RIP

Fitzhugh Fella

Saints fans of more senior years will be saddened by the news of the passing of ex-goalkeeper Dave Maclaren who has died in Australia aged 82. He played for us 26 times during our inaugural season in the top flight, 1966-67. Famously he was in goal for Wolves the previous season when we beat them 9-3, but manager Ted Bates still went ahead and signed him the following year when Campbell Forsyth broke a leg. Those at that Wolves match reckoned the score would have been well into double figures had it not been for Dave's exploits between the posts but, even so, the fact we signed a 'keeper having put nine past him has always been a source of amusement and made him a bit of a legend. Dave has been living in Australia since the 70s and all thoughts go to his family and friends.

Remember the 9-3 game well and Dave Maclaren's heroics in goal during the game. Bizarre game...behind after 30 seconds to a Tony Knapp own goal skidding off his crew cut...5 -2 up at half time and the scoring completed with half an hour still to play. Indeed if it hadn't been for Dave's great shot stopping 12 - 3 could easily have been the final score.

Bit of a whipping boy in a season we conceeded a bucket-full of goals. RIP.

RIP. Only at the Dell for 66/67 season. If my memory serves me right , and I was only eight, he was brought in as a stop-gap when Campbell Forsyth broke his leg against Liverpool, having played a blinder in the 9-3 game the season before. Gerry Gurr was the up and coming replacement but probably too young to go straight into Division 1. Prone to a mistake or too was replaced when Eric Martin was signed towards the back end of the season.

Part of an era that was brilliant and constantly exciting for me as a kid - I remember his being signed - read in the Southern Evening Echo in those days!

Commiserations to his family and friends..and thanks for his part in Saints first foray in to the top flight.

Edited by dronskisaint
missed word

To think where we were then and where we are now......???

I saw Denis Hollywood outside St Mays few weeks back, nobody noticed him. I did, and smiled at him, he knew someone knew him!

Bill Beeney is always outside the ground, alas, with a walking frame now.

Sad news indeed.

However on a lighter note any one remember the ditty...'No goals today Maclaren's gone away, we've got a goalkeeper his name is Gerry Gurr'...

Sang to the tune of Hermans Hermits ..'No milk today'..a poptastic hit of the time.

Jeez yes...I'd not thought of that in decades!!

Also of that era...'Give it to Melia, give it to Melia

On his hea-ad, shining he-ad'

To the tune of The Troggs 'Give it to me'

Jeez yes...I'd not thought of that in decades!!

Also of that era...'Give it to Melia, give it to Melia

On his hea-ad, shining he-ad'

To the tune of The Troggs 'Give it to me'

I thought the words were.. 'Give it to Ron, give it to Ron on his head, on his head...

Also .. Aye aye aye yay, Forsyth is better than Yashin, Ron Davies is better than Eusebio and you're all in for a thrashing....

Not sure of the name of tune but some Mexican/Spanish ditty.

Wording representative of gentler times perhaps.

I thought the words were.. 'Give it to Ron, give it to Ron on his head, on his head...

Also .. Aye aye aye yay, Forsyth is better than Yashin, Ron Davies is better than Eusebio and you're all in for a thrashing....

Not sure of the name of tune but some Mexican/Spanish ditty.

Wording representative of gentler times perhaps.

Cielito Lindo. Definitely Mexican.