Worst performance so far (under Puel)

Heisenberg

Was last night the worst so far?

There has been some stinkers so far.....

- Watford (home) 1-1

- Sunderland (Home) 1-1

- HBS (away) 0-0

- Hull (away) 2-1

- Chelsea (home) 0-2

- Liverpool (home) 0-0

- Prague (away) 1-0

- Palace (away) 3-0

- HBS (home) 1-1

- Stoke (away) 0-0 *stoke 10 men for 70 minutes

- Spurs (home) 1-4

- WBA (home) 1-2

Edited by Heisenberg

- Watford (home) 1-1

- Sunderland (Home) 1-1

- HBS (away) 0-0

- Hull (away) 2-1

- Chelsea (home) 0-2

- Liverpool (home) 0-0

- Prague (away) 1-0

- Palace (away) 3-0

- HBS (home) 1-1

Nah last night was not the worst, the writing was on the wall. I would say Palace was a new level of ****e when we had a decent team out. Prague was about same level as last night. i fear the sort of performances as highlighted above are actually the norm for us so when we have a good game against the likes of Everton that is really the anomaly.

- Watford (home) 1-1

- Sunderland (Home) 1-1

- HBS (away) 0-0

- Hull (away) 2-1

- Chelsea (home) 0-2

- Liverpool (home) 0-0

- Prague (away) 1-0

- Palace (away) 3-0

- HBS (home) 1-1

Beer Sheva away, Hull away and Liverpool home were all good performances.

Sparta away was by far the worst of all that lot... though I was quite drunk at Palace and missed the build up to their second so that might have been worse than I recall - but we mostly got done by two flukes there.

Several things worry me with Puel not least that he was claiming just last week he didn't know what his best 11 was. After 5 months. Whether that's a convenient foil to continue with this rotation policy I don't know but he ought to know by now. Whilst a rotation policy of sorts can have some benefits the one thing that is glaringly obvious with us is the lack of understanding between players. Other than some occasional link up play between Bertrand and Redmond the rest seem like strangers. Hardly surprising.

Most gutting - HBS.

Worst performance - Prague (although I didn't see Hull & Palace, Prague was one of the worst performances I've seen for years, I'm sure the others couldn't have been that bad).

Worst result given the circumstances/opposition - Hull.

The other ones you've listed aren't even that bad. Although perhaps the worrying thing is that the three above are all pretty recent (maybe that's a psychological/statistical effect, I'm sure someone like shurlock will be on hand to point that out if so!)

Sparta away and Palace were pretty poor but there haven't actually been too many shockers.

There have been games where with better finishing, a disappointing draw would have actually been a decent enough win.

Our lack of killer instinct in front of goal is undermining everything for me - even in some of the games we have won it could have cost us, like Everton and Swansea

Nothing wrong with Sunderland and Watford. We were adapting to a new system, played much the better football and got a reasonable enough draw. You would hope for a win but then so would Man City against us at the Etihad.

Nothing wrong with Chelsea or Liverpool. We got a point against an inform Liverpool (although some would have preferred to go out all guns blazing, as if we wouldn't just get spanked 4-1) and Chelsea were just that good. Beat us 2-0 in between beating Utd 4-0 and Everton 5-0, fair play.

The 4 Europa games we failed to score in (not including that nothing goal last night) were the most disappointing for me. We should have breezed through that group after we battered Sparta and Inter didn't turn up for the whole campaign.

Hull and Palace too, although I could put up with those as a 'one off, it happens'. The Europa games we consistently underperformed in all but the Sparta game and second half against Inter.

We were generally poor against Liverpool -notwithstanding dullards favourite strawman that we would have been spanked if we had played anymore positively. IIRC Fonte also thought we played ****.

It's not fun watching us this season: at least travelling around Europe made up for the monotony and lifelessness of our play...

Sparta away was terrible and very gutting for those or us who made the long journey

That's not a "long journey" you massive spoon. It's only 150 miles further than you can travel on the British mainland, and it was 1580 miles further to Be'er Sheva.

I'm not debating that it was a load of guff though. The only time I think we underperformed in the Europa League this season. Everything else was tactical and related to the need to try and keep players fresh.

That's not a "long journey" you massive spoon. It's only 150 miles further than you can travel on the British mainland, and it was 1580 miles further to Be'er Sheva.

I'm not debating that it was a load of guff though. The only time I think we underperformed in the Europa League this season. Everything else was tactical and related to the need to try and keep players fresh.

Wrong again. If it was tactical, then it was a mistake. I'm pretty sure the tactic wasn't to draw or lose games but win them. We failed to score in half our games and were toothless in the vast majority of them- otherwise reliant on (dodgy) penalties, own goals, setpieces and token efforts. Unless you're claiming that was the tactic.

If something isn't working, you change it. That's also called tactics :lol:

Edited by shurlock

so good against Liverpool, we failed to get a shot on target in a home game...first time in about a decade.

how standards have dropped with some fans if that is 'good' or there was 'nothing wrong' etc etc

You know times are hard when the argument is "Leicester are crap this season" and "we could be Pompey"

You disapponted today? must after our win... all those changes too.... you must be livid that too mate

Since you ask mate - yes still pee'd off about Thursdays shît show (will be for a while I expect)

Nice win yesterday but scrappy and we are still not clicking or playing entertaining football

But if you're happy that's good, guess we are all different mate

Since you ask mate - yes still pee'd off about Thursdays shît show (will be for a while I expect)

Nice win yesterday but scrappy and we are still not clicking or playing entertaining football

But if you're happy that's good, guess we are all different mate

Did`nt ask if you were still peed of about thursday but i doubt you are really, deep down you love it when we lose

I`m always happy with a win.. would love a more convincing one of course

What about the changes then.... :smug:

- Watford (home) 1-1 - opening game of the season and we actually played pretty well in the 2nd half.

- Sunderland (Home) 1-1 - same story as the watford game

- HBS (away) 0-0 - mind numbingly dull - hesketh subbed after 20 mins was probably the only talking point

- Hull (away) 2-1 - payed well got unlucky

- Chelsea (home) 0-2 - Chelsea were excellent, the best team we have played all season by a long way.

- Liverpool (home) 0-0 - WTF?!? a draw at home against the title favourites (at that point)

- Prague (away) 1-0 - Dire

- Palace (away) 3-0 - Irritating

- HBS (home) 1-1 - Annoying.

So many 'poor' performances, yet only 3 points behind where we were at this point last season and within striking distance of the European places.

Just imagine if we clicked. I'm happy to give him time.

We started last season slow and poorly so shouldn't use that as a benchmark

We vastly improved and had 40 points from 26 games last season

Doubt Puel will match last seasons points total and would happily bet that he won't better it + he's definitely not offering entertaining football as compensation

We started last season slow and poorly so shouldn't use that as a benchmark

We vastly improved and had 40 points from 26 games last season

Doubt Puel will match last seasons points total and would happily bet that he won't better it + he's definitely not offering entertaining football as compensation

Considering the upheaval in the Summer, that Koeman, in a more settled position had such a 'shaky' start reflects poorly on him not Puel.

I have no expectations on us improving after losing our manager and the players we did after our most successful season for a generation. As things stand we are entirely safe with players trying to get back into form in important areas while still being in striking distance of last season's achievements. This has been achieved despite a better run in the league cup then last year and a Europa league campaign.

Knee jerk reactions based on disappointment that we may not match last years success would be entirely foolish. Last season was unprecedented.

Edited by Colinjb

Considering the upheaval in the Summer, that Koeman, in a more settled position had such a 'shaky' start reflects poorly on him not Puel.

I have no expectations on us improving after losing our manager and the players we did after our most successful season for a generation. As things stand we are entirely safe with players trying to get back into form in important areas.

Knee jerk reactions based on disappointment that we may not match last years success would be entirely foolish.

There wasn't much expectation or demand league wise from anyone really?

Think the general consensus and request on here was for entertaining football and a decent go at Europa?

Puel failed miserably with Europa and isn't delivering football of any reasonable recognition either

Only thing we have left is league cup now IMHO - hope he doesn't **** that up

Think the general consensus and request on here was for entertaining football and a decent go at Europa?

Puel failed miserably with Europa and isn't delivering football of any reasonable recognition either

That and over half a season of league football. Be disappointed with your perception of how we play if you wish, but I'm going to continue enjoying my hobby and will give Puel more time. His Nice team was celebrated for it's style, when the fixtures calm down and he is given license to be less pragmatic in his team selections then we will see what he can really do.

That and over half a season of league football. Be disappointed with your perception of how we play if you wish, but I'm going to continue enjoying my hobby and will give Puel more time. His Nice team was celebrated for it's style, when the fixtures calm down and he is given license to be less pragmatic in his team selections then we will see what he can really do.

Don't quite get this. Are you suggesting Puel is being told which players to select based on our playing schedule?

On a separate note, I notice Puel keeps saying that the players can't play twice a week. How did we manage to get promoted from League 1 if that's the case? The games came thick and fast when we were down there.

Here are the worst performances that spring to my mind since we got promoted back to the Prem and excluding the Adkins era:

- Midytylland away in the Europa

- Liverpool at home in the League Cup

- Sunderland away in the FA Cup

- Sheff Utd away in the League Cup

- Bournemouth away in the league

- Ipswich home and away in the FA cup (although we won)

- Aston Villa at home

- Palace at home in the FA Cup

Puel has not served up anything as bad as any of that.

Don't quite get this. Are you suggesting Puel is being told which players to select based on our playing schedule?

On a separate note, I notice Puel keeps saying that the players can't play twice a week. How did we manage to get promoted from League 1 if that's the case? The games came thick and fast when we were down there.

Haha, No, I'm saying that he has been rotating based on the fixture congestion. He will be able to pick his strongest side more regularly when the fixture intensity dies down.

So, your second paragraph I wouldn't consider to be a separate note! Very pertinent, but every side in League 1 had the same congestion baring cup runs. Combining Europa/League Cup/PL has been a comparative strain compared to some of our peers.

Chelsea this season must be benefiting from having their players totally focused on the league for instance. Leicester too last year.

Love the way you think you speak for so many, when i all honesty you actually don`t.

So did RK

Here are the worst performances that spring to my mind since we got promoted back to the Prem and excluding the Adkins era:

- Aston Villa at home

We've had plenty of performances as bad as Prague or BS. Everton at home last season was about as bad as it gets. We've lost at home to some gash like Cardiff and QPR too.

Use past failures to forge future success - don't hand pick a few games where we have been poor in the past to justify Puels inabilities now

We could all hand pick a few games where ALL managers at ALL clubs have been poor, problem is you can offset them with many great games and performances.

Puel has managed us for 30 games - how many truely great performances?

- Aston Villa at home

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26898538

I'm still raging about the 3-0 loss at Blackpool in 2012...if Billy sharp had scored that penalty at 0-0 we'd have gone on to win and subsequently would have won the title FFS...

The loss to Reading on a Tuesday night which basically handed them the title was worse absolute garbage performance at home considering what was on offer.

The loss to Reading on a Tuesday night which basically handed them the title was worse absolute garbage performance at home considering what was on offer.

I went to that, we basically battered them but only scored 1 of the 20 shots we had, whilst they scored something like 3 out of 4. Very frustrating but we were much the better team.

Think it was a Friday night too.

Use past failures to forge future success - don't hand pick a few games where we have been poor in the past to justify Puels inabilities now

We could all hand pick a few games where ALL managers at ALL clubs have been poor, problem is you can offset them with many great games and performances.

Puel has managed us for 30 games - how many truely great performances?

I can't think of 1 truly great performance. He's turned us into something average. How Reed and co. can call this progression is completely beyond me.

I can't think of 1 truly great performance. He's turned us into something average. How Reed and co. can call this progression is completely beyond me.

Something being beyond you wouldn't be too hard to find TBF.

Edited by whelk
Unforgivable incorrect 'to'. Will take me years too recover

I went to that, we basically battered them but only scored 1 of the 20 shots we had, whilst they scored something like 3 out of 4. Very frustrating but we were much the better team.

Think it was a Friday night too.

I was their my recollection is us huffing and puffing with no end product while they were clinical and took their chances (ha looks like something don't change) even worse that thoroughly dislikeable tit Jason Roberts scored to.

Thought we played OK last night. We dominated the game and offered constant pressure against a very well organised on form Stoke. We're obviously lacking that little bit of quality upfront and our creative players aren't really doing - Boufal because he's still getting up to speed with the Premier League and Tadic because he's playing with that broken nose.

Board's ambition doesn't match our own, nothing we can do about that unfortunately. We'll finish mid table and have a good cup run (almost done with that one), we'll flog 2 or 3 in the summer and find some decent younsgters, and so on

Board's ambition doesn't match our own, nothing we can do about that unfortunately. We'll finish mid table and have a good cup run (almost done with that one), we'll flog 2 or 3 in the summer and find some decent younsgters, and so on

It matches my ambition exactly, and matches that of the actual human beings I speak to about Saints.

It's only the dinlows on here that think we should be on an unstoppable march to the Champions League and that it's some kind of disgrace that we're not.

It matches my ambition exactly, and matches that of the actual human beings I speak to about Saints.

It's only the dinlows on here that think we should be on an unstoppable march to the Champions League and that it's some kind of disgrace that we're not.

So how low quality and diluted do we have to get before you start to feel it is not right?

It rankles with me that we are happy to wonder around saying 'oh look there are our ex-players' at the cup finals , fighting for titles. Where is the pride in that?

Whilst I do not expect the CL, had we shown a bit more ambition we could have done it, as there have been a few open goals missed in the last few seasons in getting there.

I believe that had ML been here at the time he would have invested a bit to meet the goal he and NC set when they arrived.