The positive thread (doom merchants need not read)

Tom28

Firstly, let's get this out of the way: last night's performance simply wasn't good enough and we all know that.

However, I can't understand the fickleness of some fans on here. We win, and Puel is a genius that is building a squad capable of challenging on multiple fronts that is bringing on the academy into the first team. We lose, and he's a clueless, dour manager that needs to go. There's no middle ground with some people.

Let's look at this with a positive spin:

- We are in the semi final of the League Cup - the furthest we have gone for many years

- We have played in the Europa League group stages and came a few inches away from qualifying for the knockout round (if that Yoshida header goes in).

- We beat Inter Milan in a competitive European match

- We are 12th in the league, in touching distance of 6th (and yes I know we are also in touching distance of 17th too)

- Given that most of the teams around us have played 30-40% fewer games than us so far, that league position is pretty solid in my opinion and will only improve as our fixture congestion eases

- We have seen the emergence of two talents from the academy this season in McQueen and Sims, plus solid appearances from Hesketh, Stephens and Olomola. The pathway to the first team is back open and that's something we should all be positive about.

- We've achieved all that with basically one in form (but still unfit) striker, our new star-signing missing for much of the season and yet to properly make an impact, and significant injuries to our second choice full backs (as well as our first choice full backs missing significant time).

The performance last night looked like a tired performance to me, as did Saturdays. I think that is understandable - we've played more games than any other premier league side apart from Man Utd (although I've not heard Puel use that as an excuse once so fair play to him for that - caveat: I zone out listening to his pressers so he may have used that as an excuse....).

After the Bournemouth game we have 10 days rest to the next match and when we start again, there're no more Thursday night fixtures. If we have not improved in the league, and we are out the League and FA Cups come Febraury, March or April time, by all means re-post this back at me and call me out on it but I think we'll all see an improvement not only towards the end of this season, but also next season.

Chin up everyone - it's really not that bad.

We win, and Puel is a genius that is building a squad capable of challenging on multiple fronts that is bringing on the academy into the first team..

Not sure I've seen many people say that. A lot of people I've spoken to have not warmed to Puel yet because his style of football is so negative and bad to watch

I agree there is good happening and not everything is bad, but last night was a crushing disappointment both in terms of the result and the manner of our play that led to it.

Twice I have watched us play Inter this season, the first out in Italy we absolutely rinsed a team of European pedigree such as theres and were desperately unlucky to lose 1-0. Our heads were rightly held high. At home, we also put in a great shift against them and the supporters were right behind the lads creating an atmosphere in the ground that willed them on..

Last night from what I could see there was no belief, no passion, no organisation and no bravery, and we went out to a decent but still limited team when we should have ****ed all over them from the off.. I think most of the fans around me were perhaps thinking what I was thinking, " are we going to get going in a minute, are we going to create a couple of chances to really life the crowd onto our side, are we going to work and press them as hard as they are working and pressing us?"

Honestly it was such a crushing disappointment, and fans have every right to ask difficult questions as to what went wrong last night...

Firstly, let's get this out of the way: last night's performance simply wasn't good enough and we all know that.

However, I can't understand the fickleness of some fans on here. We win, and Puel is a genius that is building a squad capable of challenging on multiple fronts that is bringing on the academy into the first team. We lose, and he's a clueless, dour manager that needs to go. There's no middle ground with some people.

Let's look at this with a positive spin:

- We are in the semi final of the League Cup - the furthest we have gone for many years

- We have played in the Europa League group stages and came a few inches away from qualifying for the knockout round (if that Yoshida header goes in).

- We beat Inter Milan in a competitive European match

- We are 12th in the league, in touching distance of 6th (and yes I know we are also in touching distance of 17th too)

- Given that most of the teams around us have played 30-40% fewer games than us so far, that league position is pretty solid in my opinion and will only improve as our fixture congestion eases

- We have seen the emergence of two talents from the academy this season in McQueen and Sims, plus solid appearances from Hesketh, Stephens and Olomola. The pathway to the first team is back open and that's something we should all be positive about.

- We've achieved all that with basically one in form (but still unfit) striker, our new star-signing missing for much of the season and yet to properly make an impact, and significant injuries to our second choice full backs (as well as our first choice full backs missing significant time).

The performance last night looked like a tired performance to me, as did Saturdays. I think that is understandable - we've played more games than any other premier league side apart from Man Utd (although I've not heard Puel use that as an excuse once so fair play to him for that - caveat: I zone out listening to his pressers so he may have used that as an excuse....).

After the Bournemouth game we have 10 days rest to the next match and when we start again, there're no more Thursday night fixtures. If we have not improved in the league, and we are out the League and FA Cups come Febraury, March or April time, by all means re-post this back at me and call me out on it but I think we'll all see an improvement not only towards the end of this season, but also next season.

Chin up everyone - it's really not that bad.

Must have been at the gin bottle last night if you believe 1/10th of what you have written.

Sadly apologists like you ensure we will remain locked into this downward spirral which has only one logical outcome if you care to think clearly and remove your pink-tinged specs.

I'm not even sure we were that bad last night. At Half Time I was thinking "ok, we haven't been great, but we haven't been bad either, we're in a decent enough position". But we didn't get better, it was the same monotonous play until we found ourselves in dire straits. On one hand I wondered whether the "0-0 is enough" mentality affected us, and let's be honest, knowing that conceding a goal was disastrous, perhaps such a mentality or strategy would be understandable.

However, this wasn't a one-off. We play like that in virtually every game - sucking the life out of the match regardless of whether it helps or hinders us.

I agree with many of your points, and that it's not all doom and gloom - particularly the emergence of a few youngsters - but I wish we would play a bit quicker and sharper at times. We rely so heavily on players like Tadic, because he's one of the few players who doesn't always take the safe option. I reckon this slow, predictable approach is what most people are unhappy or worried about - especially as we have a knack of conceding every shot the opposition have on target.

Even though I do not view it this way, thought I'd be Devil's Advocate and use your list, interpreted a different way. Some are tenuous I admit (e.g. the youth players!), but think it shows how we are really at a crossroads in our season and it could end up either way!

- We have to beat Liverpool over two legs to reach the final of the League Cup

- We failed to qualify from a Europa group that included an out-of-sorts Inter, Sparta Prague and Hapoel Be'er Sheva

- We failed to score in any Europa away game, put in one dreadful performance and failed to capitalise on a good performance at the San Siro by taking any chances

- We are 12th in the league, having messed up chances to stick with the top group and are hovering just above the relegation battle

- We have played 30-40% more games than everyone else, and that will catch up with us later in the season but particularly Dec-Jan where we have matches every few days

- Where would we be if it wasn't for the emergence of a couple of our academy players?!

- Our only reliable source of goals is injured again, our new star-signing has shown glimpses of brilliance but doesn't yet appear to be a dependable starter, and we seem to be picking up more injuries than normal

I'm usually glass half full but we've played 14 league games and only won 4, are out of Europe and have tricky League Cup and FA Cup fixtures to come. I do think we'll get better through this season but right now it's not looking too good. Need a striker in January though, and longer term the CB positions concern me.

As Saints fan have we been spoilt too much that we now have massive expectations?

Granted, getting out of the group was a minimum that should have been done, even Celtic put 5 past them too.

It feels as if unless we get 6th, we'll have failed the season

Must have been at the gin bottle last night if you believe 1/10th of what you have written.

Sadly apologists like you ensure we will remain locked into this downward spirral which has only one logical outcome if you care to think clearly and remove your pink-tinged specs.

Hi Charlie,

How are you? You seem a little disgruntled.

Can you help me with something? I'm a little blinded by these pink-tinged specs my daughter gave me, but I was under the impression we had improved season on season for the past 6 years, yet you say we are locked in a downward spiral (although you called it a 'spirral' I think that's what you meant). I'm struggling to put the two together.

Also, perhaps you can help me with this one too? You say that me being an apologist will "ensure we will remain locked into this downward spirral". Suppose I stop being an apologist and join your doom brigade, tell me, how will that make the situation any better? Will Saints' fortunes suddenly turn around?

Thanks,

Tom

I love this. War is peace, freedom is slavery, improving every year is a downward spiral etc.

I love this. War is peace, freedom is slavery, improving every year is a downward spiral etc.

We haven't improved this year. We have gone backwards. I'm all for optimism but I honestly don't see how anyone can think we are better this season than the last.

We haven't improved this year. We have gone backwards. I'm all for optimism but I honestly don't see how anyone can think we are better this season than the last.

1) We have gone further in the League Cup than last season.

2) We have gone further in the Europa League this season than last season.

3) Despite playing 8 more games at this stage than last season, we're only 3 points worse off in the league than we were after 14 games last season.

1) We have gone further in the League Cup than last season.

2) We have gone further in the Europa League this season than last season.

3) Despite playing 8 more games at this stage than last season, we're only 3 points worse off in the league than we were after 14 games last season.

Eh? We've only gone further in the EL by virtue of our finish last season.

We've already gone further in both of the two Cup competitions we've played than we did last season. I'm happy to wait and see if our current 12th place League position is as good as it gets when we're not playing every 3-4 days or rotating players to try to minimise the effects of fatigue. I somehow doubt this is as good as we can be.

My only concerns are replacing Fonte in case he goes in the Transfer Window, because I think we're likely to take any offer over £5m if we have a replacement lined up, and keeping hold of Van Dijk in the summer so we don't have to revamp the CB partnership again in the summer as that's part of the stable core we've built upon.

We've already gone further in both of the two Cup competitions we've played than we did last season. I'm happy to wait and see if our current 12th place League position is as good as it gets when we're not playing every 3-4 days or rotating players to try to minimise the effects of fatigue. I somehow doubt this is as good as we can be.

My only concerns are replacing Fonte in case he goes in the Transfer Window, because I think we're likely to take any offer over £5m if we have a replacement lined up, and keeping hold of Van Dijk in the summer so we don't have to revamp the CB partnership again in the summer as that's part of the stable core we've built upon.

Very inconsistent and muddled thinking. For someone who slavishly bangs on about the role of luck, it doesn't strike you that our cup run may have been due to luck rather than than any underlying improvement? And citing the EL is a red herring: our progress has nothing to do with our performances or form this season.

Struggling to be positive after last night and the feeling when we play and don't score early that we won't score at all. Then we either hold on for the 0-0 or concede a sloppy one to lose and then think, how did we lose that?

Hopefully this is the breaking point and we make the necessary tactical, positional and philosophical changes for the next game and gain some much needed confidence. You can see when the players try a shot from around the box that they don't believe it'll go in, they just hope it will. I think it was Redmond who was in a good spot to try and curl one up into the top right hand corner, but his slumped shoulders body language showed he didn't believe it would go in and it ended up at a comfortable height for the goalie.

We've been through this before, we'll be back, it's just hard to watch at the moment.

Edited by OttawaSaint

When we move the ball quickly we are great to watch but when he play like we did last night, which we have done a few times this season, we are dour.

Even I'm hard pressed to find a reason to say we've move forward as I don't think we have. We've stayed the same at best and regressed at worst.

I'm not convinced that Puel hasn't lost the senior pros.

When we move the ball quickly we are great to watch but when he play like we did last night, which we have done a few times this season, we are dour.

Even I'm hard pressed to find a reason to say we've move forward as I don't think we have. We've stayed the same at best and regressed at worst.

I'm not convinced that Puel hasn't lost the senior pros.

The captain is a key link between the coaching team and the players and Fonte is a good leader and of course he hasn't played any EL football. Irrespective the rights and wrongs of Fonte's contract position the situation can only be detrimental to the squad. The onus is on the management team to resolve it.

I'd add that we've only been outplayed by Chelsea and Liverpool...we've been desperately unlucky to lose in Milan and Prague when we were the better team. The other teams that we've lost to we have been largely the team playing the better football ..even against Palace last week we were the ones playing sweeter football.

I know I'll be decried because winning is everything BUT we have committed our teams at all levels to try and play in the same way, we are doing a lot of things right on the pitch and that's a very positive thing.

Yes Tom - I'm feeling good...I stood at the final home match against Burnley when we went down to L1 and didn't feel positive at all. I know that those on here who throw big, brave internet warrior insults really don't have much else to say...I also stand in Block 39 with far more positive and knowledgeable people than post so prolifically on here, we're getting good gates despite the cost of so many matches..the blessings by far outweigh the negatives - I've counted!

I'd add that we've only been outplayed by Chelsea and Liverpool...we've been desperately unlucky to lose in Milan and Prague when we were the better team. The other teams that we've lost to we have been largely the team playing the better football ..even against Palace last week we were the ones playing sweeter football.

I know I'll be decried because winning is everything BUT we have committed our teams at all levels to try and play in the same way, we are doing a lot of things right on the pitch and that's a very positive thing.

Yes Tom - I'm feeling good...I stood at the final home match against Burnley when we went down to L1 and didn't feel positive at all. I know that those on here who throw big, brave internet warrior insults really don't have much else to say...I also stand in Block 39 with far more positive and knowledgeable people than post so prolifically on here, we're getting good gates despite the cost of so many matches..the blessings by far outweigh the negatives - I've counted!

Did you watch the Prague game pal?

Of course you can look at it in many different ways. The only reason we went further in the EL was down to how well we finished last season. But looking at the campaign overall it was a big dissapointment. No away goals let alone wins. And going further in the League cup is indeed a positive. But you have to ask yourself if Arsenal had put out a strong team would we have been through? Who knows.

For us to have an on par season as the last we have to finish 6th. Can you honestly see that happening? When you look at our league results this season they are a bit ****. If you look at the results and say what was our best win thus far you would have to say Burnley. The Everton game was decent but they were so poor. By this time last season I recall we had beaten Chelsea away and Bompey. With us destroying Arsenal away 0-4 at some point in december.

I think a big difference this season compared to last is that the teams that were poor last season have improved a lot. Chelsea and Liverpool have re-emerged whilst teams around us have also got stronger. West Brom, Watford, Bompey etc are much better teams compared to last year.

The question I ask is are we a better team? Do we play as good football as we did? Do we score as many goals as we did? Do we have players of the calibre of those we lost? My personal view is no. Redmond is nowhere near as good as Mane. Austin is not as good as Pelle. Don't forget 2 of Austins goals have been penalties. None of Pelles goals last season were penalties. Add to that Pelle has much more impact in the big games. The Chelsea game he was a total beast. He had 2 assists and a goal. The same thing happened in the Liverpool game. He created 2 and scored 1.

My point being for all Pelles flaws he was a very good striker for us. One that I believe has better impact on games than Austin. Add to that Jay sadly isn't who he once was. Long has regressed badly. The only player I feel we covered well for was Wanyama being replaced by Romeu. I honestly think Romeu has been one of our best players this season.

• 2 weeks later...
Charlie Wayman and St Marco.....

Anything to say today? Thought not.

LOL I love this place lose a game and we have one set of posters screaming "I was right" win a game and we have a different set screaming "I was right". The only way to really judge the season will be at the end of it. Winning or losing a couple of games is no indication one way or the other. The truth is we have been good at times and we have been poor at times but right now we are doing ok.

LOL I love this place lose a game and we have one set of posters screaming "I was right" win a game and we have a different set screaming "I was right". The only way to really judge the season will be at the end of it. Winning or losing a couple of games is no indication one way or the other. The truth is we have been good at times and we have been poor at times but right now we are doing ok.

Which is basically what I said in my original post. I'm no happy clapper; I opened my post by saying the performance against Hapoel wasn't good enough. But the negativity/expectation of some people on here is mental

Which is basically what I said in my original post. I'm no happy clapper; I opened my post by saying the performance against Hapoel wasn't good enough. But the negativity/expectation of some people on here is mental

Its not mental, in most cases, its carefully crafted to get a raise out of people.....

I genuinely think that some people enjoy us losing so they can wum on here.

Well you only have to compare the length of a post-match defeat thread to a win one to know that is true. I'm not anal enough to check, but my guess is a defeat thread is probably twice as long.

Thankfully this place is not a representative sample of the entire fan base.

I think when we lose this is a place to vent frustrations, the happy clappers don't like that, some see criticism of Saints as an affront to their manhood almost.

Well you got a laugh out of Alpine so well done you! On a serious note, the happy clappers as you call us don't have a problem with our manhood thanks. We also feel frustrated when we lose. It is just that some of us realise that it is just a game of football and that we are not going to win every game or play like Barcelona every week. When we win or play well we enjoy it, when we lose of play badly we suck it up and look forward to a better result next time. It just needs a bit of perspective. It gets very tiresome seeing the same old crap rolled out every time we drop points. Puel is rubbish and will be gone by Christmas. Les is lining his own pockets. Kat just wants to sell up and doesn't care about the club etc etc. As club historian you should know better than most that things have been much, much worse. The last 7 years have been amazing. We are currently 7th in the Premiership and in the semi finals of a cup. We have what many people have been crying out for, a manager who is giving youth a chance. So, seriously, what is the problem? We all have choices and we all know that SFC are not going to be like Man City or Chelsea and splash a fortune on trying to buy success. I for one am proud that we do what we do on a budget, for better or worse. If that makes me a "happy clapper" so be it. I would rather be like that than the saddoes who only post when we lose and trot out the same old clichés. If what they really want is a club to spend millions and guaranteed success, they are supporting the wrong club.

Well you got a laugh out of Alpine so well done you! On a serious note, the happy clappers as you call us don't have a problem with our manhood thanks. We also feel frustrated when we lose. It is just that some of us realise that it is just a game of football and that we are not going to win every game or play like Barcelona every week. When we win or play well we enjoy it, when we lose of play badly we suck it up and look forward to a better result next time. It just needs a bit of perspective. It gets very tiresome seeing the same old crap rolled out every time we drop points. Puel is rubbish and will be gone by Christmas. Les is lining his own pockets. Kat just wants to sell up and doesn't care about the club etc etc. As club historian you should know better than most that things have been much, much worse. The last 7 years have been amazing. We are currently 7th in the Premiership and in the semi finals of a cup. We have what many people have been crying out for, a manager who is giving youth a chance. So, seriously, what is the problem? We all have choices and we all know that SFC are not going to be like Man City or Chelsea and splash a fortune on trying to buy success. I for one am proud that we do what we do on a budget, for better or worse. If that makes me a "happy clapper" so be it. I would rather be like that than the saddoes who only post when we lose and trot out the same old clichés. If what they really want is a club to spend millions and guaranteed success, they are supporting the wrong club.

Absolutely nothing new to add the discussion here; all been said a 1000 times.

Sad that we still arent allowed to comment on the present situation and should still be stuck in a pink-tinged state of eternal gratitude because of events 8 years ago.

Absolutely nothing new to add the discussion here; all been said a 1000 times.

Sad that we still arent allowed to comment on the present situation and should still be stuck in a pink-tinged state of eternal gratitude because of events 8 years ago.

But never seems to "sink in" with some does it

This is a sensible post and of course things have been worse, much worse. Comments like the ones you quote are obviously OTT and would be better left unsaid in all honesty but we have played quite a lot of painfully boring football this season, under our new manager (yes we have played well at times, yesterday particularly) and for people to voice their frustrations and concerns about it is as understandable and reasonable a reaction as your suck it up and move onto the next one approach. If everyone did that there would literally be no posts on the reaction thread after a defeat except "Oh well, could be worse, onto the next one" which, let's face it, would be a bit tedious. Football causes emotional highs and lows which are at their most acute during the actual matches and some of the negative stuff is a reflection of the lows just as the "GTFI!!!" stuff reflects the highs. Agree if anyone only ever posts negatively then that's ridiculous.

We are still a work in progress under Puel, clearly there is the possibility of performances like yesterday becoming more regular and if they do it will be difficult for anyone (well, almost anyone!) to find negatives, but if the soporific possession over goals stuff continues then so will, justifiably, the complaints.

I think when we lose this is a place to vent frustrations, the happy clappers don't like that, some see criticism of Saints as an affront to their manhood almost.

Venting frustrations is one thing but if we go behind after 6 minutes of a match and a ('so called' supporter) posts - LOL PUEL :mcinnes:

That to me is pretty much the same as an away fan in the home end jumping up and baiting those around him ! Sadly, many (including me) rise to the bait are are then pronounced to be 'happy clappers' whichI do not consider to be the case !

It is plain for all to see that the usual suspects are more than just voicing frustration but are deliberately seeking attention !

All IMHO of course !

# Warning klaxon: about to post a 'clever' picture without adding an opinion of my own which will somehow annoy FF # ;)

nutshell-300x200.jpg

Venting frustrations is one thing but if we go behind after 6 minutes of a match and a ('so called' supporter) posts - LOL PUEL :mcinnes:

That to me is pretty much the same as an away fan in the home end jumping up and baiting those around him ! Sadly, many (including me) rise to the bait are are then pronounced to be 'happy clappers' whichI do not consider to be the case !

It is plain for all to see that the usual suspects are more than just voicing frustration but are deliberately seeking attention !

All IMHO of course !

All IMHO of course too.

Realistically sometimes Saints play well sometimes they play crap whilst the opposition play well sometimes and sometimes they play crap.

That is football it is a funny old game but having followed the Saints since the 1950s I have seen some great performances but loads have been mediocre and some have been dire.

But the last four or five seasons have been the best for good consistent performances that I have seen Saints play in the Top Division something I never thought I would say ten years ago

I think recent games have shown that fitness and intensity are huge in the premier league. We make 6 changes and look much fitter and sharper than Bournemouth did, Arsenal looked a shadow of themselves second half against City, Chelsea and Liverpool doing very well whilst having no Europe is not a coincidence.

Puel's rotation I think has been essential, it's going to get us through the rest of the season I reckon performing well. Even then it's not necessarily been enough as the very flat performance against hull showed. Look at the Stoke to Bournemouth games, our big performers against Bournemouth, Davis coming on at half time, Jay Rod who only played 30 against stoke, Cedric who didn't play against Stoke, Clasie, Hojberg neither played against Stoke. And then Bertrand who did play a full game against Stoke but seemed to be fuelled by jeers from their crowd.

Whereas the Bournemouth team aside Wilson was the same as their Tuesday team (and they all played 90 aside King). Premier League is 100 miles an hour anyway and the quality of the teams throughout the league is so good you can't play 80% in this league and get away with it, as we showed against Hull.

All IMHO of course too.

Realistically sometimes Saints play well sometimes they play crap whilst the opposition play well sometimes and sometimes they play crap.

That is football it is a funny old game but having followed the Saints since the 1950s I have seen some great performances but loads have been mediocre and some have been dire.

But the last four or five seasons have been the best for good consistent performances that I have seen Saints play in the Top Division something I never thought I would say ten years ago

John

You and I share the length of time we have followed the Saints

When we were in the Third Div South I never expected us to be so well established in the top tier, winning a major trophy at Wembley, playing in a decent stadium or watching my team in Europe in front of 7,000 fans

There was even talk, after the near misses immediately post WW2, that the Board did not want us to play in the top division.

For many years we could score goals for fun but also suffer regular hammerings

Then there were the years of regularly fighting relegation followed by melt down.

Since then our collective aspiration level has increased significantly and anything less than a mid table Prem finish is considered failure.

However we are really in a good place at the moment and should celebrate the fact whilst it lasts.

I went to school on the border area east of here and I regularly contemplater my good fortune in supporting the Saints in comparison to some of my school mates who can only look with a good deal of jealousy at what our club has achieved compared to their rather flakey efforts

Whereas the numpties that start venting their frustrations long befre the game has even started, just in case we lose, don't have a manhood to be affronted.

There's a difference between good, well thought out criticism that starts a discussion that all parties can particpate in and:

1) Those who have are clearly on a wind up and deliberately bait others with massaged stats that fit their trolling needs, trigger phrases that meet their trolling needs, quotes of others and editing past posts that meet their trolling needs.

2) Those permanently angry folk who never ever seem to find anything the club do pleasing to them and will take any piece of news and twist it to fit their angry defeatist way of thinking.

3) Those that are either 11 year old boys or adults with some sort of mental deficit.

There is no need to vent on and on and on after the teamsheet has been announced or if a player makes a mistake or we concede or whatever. Support the ****ing team.