Saints vs. Stoke City build-up

kwsaint

Not much of a rest until Wednesday's game. Never been to Stoke before so should be an experience. Will definitely be a tough game although they didn't look great against Arsenal. Predict 1 - 1. Suppose the question is, can Saints do it on a cold, wet, windy Wednesday night in Stoke?

They are playing very, very well.

Puel's rotation will be interesting for this one:

-------------Forster-----------

Cedric Yoshida Virgil Bertrand

------------Romeu-----------

------Højbjerg--Davis--------

Redmond----------------Tadic

--------------Long-----------

(Prediction, not opinion)

The better players who were poor at Palace and against Beer and rotate out the players who actually won a game. If you don't like the rotation surely we should stick with the winning side from today?

Nope. I think we are better in the long the the more Bertrand, Cedric play rather than Martina and McQueen.

I also think Davis is better long term than JwP

as I said, slow the rotation down

Would like to see us come out of the blocks and have a go at sides in away matches. I get the impression this season that we set up to play for a point. With three points for a win we may as well have a go at teams and the odd win comes in very handy as it equates to three draws so why not go for it.

hopefully, stop this mass-rotation bollix in the next week or so and stick to 4231

Forster

Cedric

Fonte

VvD

Bertrand

Rom

Clasie

Davis

Boufal

Redmond

Long

This, but Hoj instead of Clasie imo - he's more attack-minded and more creative, which may benefit Long's goalscoring chances. We're strong enough in defence, we don't need another DM. Davis can always 'sit in' if necessary.

Possibly even McQueen to start left side (instead of Redmond) - works well with Bertrand.

Wtf? Asylum beckons mate.

Facepalm

There's been talk of McQueen being sold, if someone has to go i'd rather Bertrand than someone from our academy who is much younger and playing just as well if not better.

We have a surplus of good left backs, if we have to raise funds to buy then that's the best place to be trying to do so...

There's been talk of McQueen being sold, if someone has to go i'd rather Bertrand than someone from our academy who is much younger and playing just as well if not better.

We have a surplus of good left backs, if we have to raise funds to buy then that's the best place to be trying to do so...

Targets season is over so no surplus here

Targett should be sold in the summer. Third choice now and has never looked like being a PL player

Based On our recent away form, lack of goals and general despondency still being felt following last Thursday's disappointment I'm expecting a defeat in this one, I think we'll try and play for a draw and bore them into submission but Stoke will come at us. Perhaps if they do have a number of injuries we can get a 0-0.

Looks like this will be our smallest away following so far this season, was told just 650 tickets sold as of the end of last week, hopefully a few more will go following yesterday's win and we can get close to filling the 1200 allocation.

This game looks like it will be ****ing dull - scraping a win would excellent.

I wonder when VVD gets his rest - can't see it being this one. Maybe home against Bompey.

It's the time of the year where thin squads start getting exposed - hopefully are relative depth advantages over the lower have can start telling.

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC

Puel: "I'm disappointed to lose @chazaustin10 to injury, but it gives an opportunity to other players to show their qualities." #saintsfc

Puel: "I don't think it's time to speak about January possibilities. We have to focus on the next games." #saintsfc

Puel: "I was pleased with @JordyClasie's performance yesterday. I think it was his best performance of the season." #saintsfc

Puel: "#SCFC have some great offensive players. It's impressive, but we have to focus on ourselves." #saintsfc

Puel: "We need the points. It's important to have a good concentration against #SCFC." #saintsfc

Puel: "We have to find different solutions without @chazaustin10. We have possibilities in the squad." #saintsfc

Puel: "December can be decisive. We want to keep the same objective in the second part of the season." #saintsfc

Edited by SuperSAINT

I would choose:

Forster

Cedric

Fonte

Van Dijk

Bertrand

Romeu

Clasie

Davis

Boufal

Redmond

Long

Subs: keeper, Yoshida, Hojbjerg, McQueen, Tadic, Rodriguez, Sims

You'd hope that Long's pace and Redmond's pace would give Stoke's meathead defenders some issues. If Long is having a frustrating night again then throw Rodriguez on quite early instead.

I like Tadic, and would generally prefer him to Redmond, but he seemed a little tentative yesterday and I think he is slightly worried about his injury. For this match, I'd give Redmond a chance to build on his second half performance, which I thought was actually one of his best of the season.

Clasie seems to be finding some form after his displays against Arsenal and yesterday and Davis is Mr Reliable.

STOKE TEAM NEWS

Mark Hughes hopes to have the likes of Jonathan Walters and Ryan Shawcross back for Stoke's home meeting with Southampton.

He said: "We've got a few bumps from the weekend. Muniesa got a bang on his knee so we'll get that checked. Johnson's got a bit of a problem with his eye and other than that, we don't anticipate we'll lose any more players."

They do seem overpriced at 2/1, thought they would be favourites being at home. Especially as it may be a cold wednesday night in Stoke

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

yep incredible value for a home team against not the most prolific of oponents

This game looks like it will be ****ing dull - scraping a win would excellent.

I wonder when VVD gets his rest - can't see it being this one. Maybe home against Bompey.

It's the time of the year where thin squads start getting exposed - hopefully are relative depth advantages over the lower have can start telling.

Bloody Hell ..... No rest until April 1st ...... poor lad will be totally knackered by then :rolleyes:

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

VvD

Bertrand

Romeu

Davis

Hojbjerg

Sims

Redmond

Long

Subs: Taylor, Fonte, McQueen, JWP, Clasie, Boufal, JRod

Quite a few people in this thread have neglected to include Tadic (you're not the only one trousers) - I assume facemask aside he is fully fit and no new injuries? Puel did not mention him from the little I've seen of his interview. We've missed him massively in recent games, I'd be starting him.