The *new* striker debate thread

SuperSAINT

You have to accept that a large portion of our fanbase are utter morons. I've honestly flushed away higher IQs.

I love the way people think that there is no way we should sell VvD (or anyone) in Jan' but expect WBA to roll over and sell us Rondon or Boro to roll over and sell us Negredo of Newcastle to risk promotion by selling us Gayle.

I've even read how we should be getting Dzeko. It was written without a single thought passing through the persons brain as to why a team still in the UCL, one of the biggest clubs in Italy, would sell us, a middle sized English, their leading goal scorer.

There is no top draw striker available in Jan'. No club is going to sell their best player in Jan' so we either crack on with what we have or we pay well over the odds for no better than we have unless the club pull off one hell of a coup or know of another diamond hiding away like Mane but I somehow doubt it.

Berahino & Batshuayi there's 2 off the top of my head that would improve our squad.

If the money is right, generally everyone is available. It's down to if you want to spend the money or not... not saying that's the strategy though.

Saying there are no strikers available is just retarded, anyone is available at a price, we would just have to pay a premium. We should have a decent amount in the bank considering the amount of players we've flogged over the past few years.

The problem is our board seem obsessed with buying players that they can flog off for a profit in a couple of years. IMO sometimes in football you just have to bite the bullet and invest where needed, I can't remember the last time I saw a Saints side in such dire and obvious need of a goalscorer.

Saying there are no strikers available is just retarded, anyone is available at a price, we would just have to pay a premium. We should have a decent amount in the bank considering the amount of players we've flogged over the past few years.

The problem is our board seem obsessed with buying players that they can flog off for a profit in a couple of years. IMO sometimes in football you just have to bite the bullet and invest where needed, I can't remember the last time I saw a Saints side in such dire and obvious need of a goalscorer.

Really? Why haven't we sold VvD then?

No one sells their prized asset in Jan and the idea that we waltz in, wave a wad of dosh and then buy a top draw striker just shows how our fanbase is utterly delusional and have a odd sense of entitlement.

No one sells their prized asset in Jan and the idea that we waltz in, wave a wad of dosh and then buy a top draw striker just shows how our fanbase is utterly delusional and have a odd sense of entitlement.

Since when have we every brought strikers from the top draw you plumb? Austin and Jay Rod were brought from Championship sides and Long has never been top draw in his life.

Considering we are an established club in the richest league in the World, and have recently flogged millions of pounds worth of talent, and have a billionaire owner - you have to be pretty thick to think there is not one suitable striker in the World we could get. Maybe we need to re-boot the famous black box.

To be fair, any striker we did sign wouldn't exactly have to be top draw to be a significant improvement on what we've got at the moment!

Adebayor on a free? :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/19/emmanuel-adebayor-togo-africa-cup-nations-2017-england-premier-league

I love England, love the Premier League and want to find a way to get back there,” he says. “I want to hit the top level again, that’s for sure. If not, I just want to play football and have fun, so if I get an offer somewhere then I’ll go.
Edited by Pass the Dutchie
added quote

According to Sky' date=' West Brom have opened talks with Watford for Odion Ighalo. Whilst he's not been as successful this season, as he was last, is he someone we should be looking at too?[/quote']

We've got enough strikers that can't score goals, especially for that price.

whats Micky Evans and Brett Omerod doing these days? , must be someone in a championship team worth a punt , someone out there who will bust a gut if brought in on loan and something to prove

Didn't Omerod open up a sandwich shop or something?

BBC reporting that Stoke are now talking to Berahino. £8m up front rising to £15m with add-on's, they don't say that West Brom have agreed the deal but assume they must have if Stoke are actually talking to the striker

I'm predicting he'll be a total flop. The one decent season he had at West Brom perfectly suited his style of play always breaking on the counter attack, much like Long excelled last season. Stoke don't play that way any more and he'll go missing.

That's a bit mental by Stoke, not sure why they've done it at that price. 6 months he's free.

Up to £15m for someone who is free in 6 months? really? no thank you.

I can only presume it is to make sure someone else doesn't get him on a free when his time is up. He may yet turn around and say that he doesn't want to go to Stoke now, and WBA will be left with him and not profit from a sale. Some have said that this is what he wanted to do, but maybe he has decided that it is a question of cutting his nose off to spite his face, and might as well move now.

That's a bit mental by Stoke, not sure why they've done it at that price. 6 months he's free.

Makes Mane with 2 years left for £30m & Wanyama with a year left at £11m look bit naff for us

Makes Mane with 2 years left for £30m & Wanyama with a year left at £11m look bit naff for us

He wouldn't have been "free in 6 months". West Brom would have received significant compensation if he joined another English team in the summer.

And Mane wasn't £30m, it was a deal potentially worth £38.5m.

He wouldn't have been "free in 6 months". West Brom would have received significant compensation if he joined another English team in the summer.

And Mane wasn't £30m, it was a deal potentially worth £38.5m.

Says 30m here but im sure you know best.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/28/sadio-mane-signs-liverpool-southampton?CMP=share_btn_link