Posters reacting to each other

Pass the Dutchie

I’m still relatively new to this forum, but I’ve been around long enough to know this is probably a pointless thread that will mostly be used to make fun of the attempt. But instead of contributing to the problem by calling out people in several threads, I thought I’d bring it up here just in case anyone is listening, and to give other posters a place to talk about this without polluting other threads.

Most of us come here because we care a lot about this football club, one way or another. Nobody cares better or best, or is more entitled to caring about the club.

I’m a fan of discussions about football, where people bring in their opinions, their feelings, their memories, their ideas. That – and sharing practical information – is exactly what a forum is for. Sometimes these feelings (etc.) can be very negative, sometimes euphoric.

On every forum there will be people who will post things with the deliberate intention to wind other posters up – the so-called trolls. We all know how these people work, we all know what they feed on (attention) and we all know how they die (lack of attention). Trolls can exist in various forms, but in the end it usually comes down to repeating the same opinions over and over (both positive and negative) and ignoring any serious discussion or questions about those opinions.

This is not the same as being a generally more negative or generally more optimistic poster. It’s a matter of variety and interaction.

Nobody likes a troll (except perhaps other trolls). As long as they don’t behave in such a way that a moderator feels called to ban them (for which we’d usually have to report their posts first), we can put them on ignore. It’s a great feature of the forum that’ll improve your reading experience immensely. This loses its positive impact however when people keep responding to these trolls, calling them out again and again, quoting them, telling them why they’re wrong, and so on. In many cases, over half of the posts in a thread end up being from either trolls, or people calling out trolls, and then on top of that people responding to say how other people shouldn’t respond to trolls. I know how difficult it can be to read something you don’t agree with, and to just let it go. This difficulty is what trolls count on.

Can we please try to do this differently? Put the posters whose posts rub you the wrong way on ignore. If you can’t resist a response, write them a private message. If a post is truly offending to you, report the post. Let’s pay more attention to football and actually interesting things concerning this wonderful club.

You can use the rest of this thread to tell me how sensible posts are not allowed on this forum, etc. Please do, I can take it. But next time you’re about to respond to a troll, or to someone responding to a troll, maybe take an extra second to consider if it’s really worth it.

We all want a forum worth reading, don’t we?

How do you feel about this?

I do get annoyed by the trolls on here, but this is a football forum = Public medium or place used for debates in which anyone can participate.

Personally wish the mods would enforce the rules around insults and reduce those posters that don't post about football at all (just post about other posters) but I guess that's the way this (and most forums) operate?

If I just want Saints news I'll use - https://southamptonfc.com

I do get annoyed by the trolls on here, but this is a football forum = Public medium or place used for debates in which anyone can participate.

Personally wish the mods would enforce the rules around insults and reduce those posters that don't post about football at all (just post about other posters) but I guess that's the way this (and most forums) operate?

206636171_0021c26a2e_m.jpg

Maybe we should add a "Personal Opinions Tolerated" section to the site which mirrors the normal forum. Only people can say how they feel about the thread in question without the words "bed wetter" etc being used every other post when people voice their concerns or thoughts on the thread topic.

Almost perfect, you're becoming a true expert.

This has very little to do with free speech. Everybody is allowed to post whatever they want within the forum rules. I'm just asking to consider to not give the people who intentionally try to wind people up again and again too much attention.
So in effect you are trying to influence who I reply to and when...thus interfering with my basic human right to free speech. As in real life, if someone is being a **** I will tell them so.

So in effect you are trying to influence who I reply to and when...thus interfering with my basic human right to free speech. As in real life, if someone is being a **** I will tell them so.

The point is that they already know they're being a ****. That's their intention. And by responding to them - giving them what they want - you also become a negative influence (if it happens again and again and again), starting that vicious cycle. Yes, I am trying to influence you. Part of free speech, isn't it? Trying to make things better?

The point is that they already know they're being a ****. That's their intention. And by responding to them - giving them what they want - you also become a negative influence (if it happens again and again and again), starting that vicious cycle. Yes, I am trying to influence you. Part of free speetch, isn't it? Trying to make things better?
Exactly, so that's the end of this thread then.

Quite the contrary. You are free to go ahead to make this forum about people being dicks, and I am free to ask people to consider to stop doing that. Instead of asking you that in every thread where it happens, I'm asking you here. Just because you choose to go ahead and respond to trolls, that doesn't mean that we can't have this conversation here. Maybe other people will want to respond differently.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2261[/ATTACH]

I only ever read what this tw at posts when someone quotes him. Tiresome fcker. Guess I am not one of the polite posters many crave. Sorry

Edited by whelk
not this poster obvs

I personally really don't care much about polite or not polite. I do 'care' about intentional trolls.

How do you tell the difference between a troll and someone who fiercely sticks to his opinion no matter what? I can't, that's why I stick to telling people when I think they are talking shîte, if that gives them a kick then so be it..

We get these threads every 4-6 months but when pressed name names or more importantly provide examples people can't and won't do it

Being a slightly 'glass half empty' type like Alpine or Batman doesn't make them a "Troll" just as much as 'glass half full' types like ALWAYS and MLG

If we all agreed on everything this place would be very dull - oddly a few seem to want that

If we all agreed on everything this place would be very dull - oddly a few seem to want that

Plenty of examples in threads where you and ALWAYS do you daily dance of 'disagreeing' with each other.

Nothing much duller to me than threads that are 50% made up of people going off topic just to vent their petty dislike of each other. If you consider that entertaining, fair play. Weird, but to each his own. I'd rather see people going at each other because they don't like an opinion, not because they don't like the person saying it. I'm interested in hearing what you think, not in reading a copy and paste job each time. I'm entertained by reading something new every now and then, not by reading something I already know to a point that I can predict it, over and over again.

I can dream, right? ;)

Plenty of examples in threads where you and ALWAYS do you daily dance of 'disagreeing' with each other.

Nothing much duller to me than threads that are 50% made up of people going off topic just to vent their petty dislike of each other. If you consider that entertaining, fair play. Weird, but to each his own. I'd rather see people going at each other because they don't like an opinion, not because they don't like the person saying it. I'm interested in hearing what you think, not in reading a copy and paste job each time. I'm entertained by reading something new every now and then, not by reading something I already know to a point that I can predict it, over and over again.

I can dream, right? ;)

I very rarely reply to any of ALWAYS posts

It's an internet forum. Anything goes within the rules and anyone who takes exception to it is being a bit precious in my opinion.

Personally I happen to find the 'club can do no wrong' contingent far more irritating than the 'wind ups' but I read both views and the 5 seconds of my life wasted on each post is of no real consequence to me and, broadly speaking, I don't really care what other people think about it and don't think its appropriate to suggest how others should interact on here.

Most of my posts are sharing candid thoughts on the team but from time to time I'll engage with the usual characters and its fun. Surely people don't get so offended by people on here that they get annoyed?

I say we get on with things and personally if someone can't help but bite when people are winding others up that's on them and not those doing the winding up.

Well, that, at least, made me laugh. I can't say that of many of the repetitive posters on here.

There's only one poster that I've ever blocked on here, and he was personally abusive as well as being a general twåt, but even he's been quieter more recently. There are quite a few more candidates for blocking but I can't be ars*d to formally block them, so I skim over their generally tiresome and repetitive posts and occasionally laugh at the absurdly distorted view contributions of one or two others. They all seem to have the same view that their posts are wickedly incisive or amusing. It's not that some of them don't have useful things to say, but it's hidden by the generally unpleasant verbiage and personal comments.

We get these threads every 4-6 months but when pressed name names or more importantly provide examples people can't and won't do it

Being a slightly 'glass half empty' type like Alpine or Batman doesn't make them a "Troll" just as much as 'glass half full' types like ALWAYS and MLG

As you asked, I'm happy to name names !

The SWF c^nt of the year awards are as follows :

1. Heisenberg

2. Alpine_Saint

3. Batman

Apologies to likes of St Robbie who just missed out on the medal positions but please realise that being a WUM takes a lot of imagination and application, so the winners are fully deserving IMHO !

I trust that this post is in keeping with the spirit of the thread and I will earnestly endeavour to keep my responses to the incessant negative drivel on this one rather than individual threads !

HTH,

Euro

I don't see a problem with trolling, I see a lack acceptance of a plurality of opinions. Lots of people get called out for trolling who I personally am convinced aren't trolls at all. They're just pessimists or stick in the muds or whatever. "Troll" is such an easy insult - much better to play the opinion than the man and say why you disagree with someone than label them a troll.

I have the following on ignore.

Glasgow - trolling cu_nt

Alpine - Fat fu_cking clueless cu_nt

Dalek - The one cu_nt I wish would lose the use of his arms

St Robbie I just laugh at the thick cu_nt do no need for ignore.

Problem is that people quote the cu_nts. If everyone ignore them then soon fu_ck to stalk some unexpecting woman or child or in Alpines case, crack open another family tub of Quality Street.

Glasgow - trolling cu_nt

Problem is that people quote the cu_nts. If everyone ignore them then soon fu_ck to stalk some unexpecting woman or child or in Alpines case, crack open another family tub of Quality Street.

Brilliant,this made me laugh after a dull day.......and i so agree

aa202f45a5a4531fccb6ec13af55cb95.jpg

After a patchy run of form, this is a quite superb example of the craft. Well done. 9/10.

Glasgow - trolling cu_nt

Wow, anonymous postings on an Internet forum really make you angry don't they!!!

I don't think the problem is that they are "slightly" glass half full people. I think the problem is that they think there is nothing in the glass at all!

Glasgow - trolling cu_nt

:lol:

True descriptions

Glasgow - trolling cu_nt

The fact that this abusive ball bag has never been banned and the continued presence of this post is all the evidence required that the site is no longer moderated.

A totally gratuitous post for no reason other than to abuse.

Yet he hasnt even got the balls to read the responses from those he has abused.

Precious little tw*t..........

The fact that this abusive ball bag has never been banned and the continued presence of this post is all the evidence required that the site is no longer moderated.

I'll quote you so VFTT can see your post and respond

Glasgow - trolling cu_nt

Problem is that people quote the cu_nts. If evtrolling cu_nt eryone ignore them then soon fu_ck to stalk some unexpecting woman or child or in Alpines case, crack open another family tub of Quality Street.

Come on Vfft don't hold back! FWIW I have the trolling cu_nt , fat fu_cking clueless cu_nt, and the the one cu_nt you wish would lose the use of his arms on ignore also. St Robbie must be some form of non-entity as I can't recall being annoyed by his drivel as much as the other three. As you say stop quoting them.

Glasgow - trolling cu_nt

Wow.

And the fact that this has gone completely unmoderated tells you all you need to know about this forum of late

So let me get this right. He is a ball bag with no balls.

FWIW totally agree with his post.