Where would we be had we kept Mane, Pelle and Wanyama?

stevy777_x

And had still brought in Boufal, Redmond and hojbjerg ?

Mane Pelle Wanyama were still contracted this season so we could have kept them (no business sense but a lot of sense sporting wise).

Meaning we would have spent 40 million for summer arrivals. Rodrguez sold for 10 million so 30 million in spent in total.

With new tv money this season that could have been done very easily.

With a team looking like this :

Forster

Cedric Fonte Van Dijk Bertrand

Romeu Wanyama

Mane Tadic Boufal

Pelle

Subs: McCarthy, Redmond, McQueen, Austin,Yoshida, Davis, Hojbjerg.

Options everywhere, very strong bench - reckon we would have been genuine top 4 contenders and qualified for knock out stages of Europa

What do you reckon?

Being a bit nostalgic on a saturday morning.

Professional sportsmen don't 'sulk'. That is a total fallacy used as an excuse for selling players who still have 3 years left on their contract. The number of times I saw that word used on here last season when Mane and Wanyama were clearly giving 100% and trying harder than anybody, was ridiculous.

This is what I wrote in the transfer thread at the end of last season and I still stand by it:

12-05-2016, 08:49 AM #442

For the first time in years our main transfer targets this year should be the players who are already here. They are going to give us our best ever Premier League finish and possibly come within 2 points of a Champions League place. Without the injuries to Forster and Bertrand, we'd probably be 3rd now. We are not going to get players much better than that so let's spend the transfer budget on keeping them here.

If you want to re-watch some of Wanyama's game last year, then go ahead. But he certainly wasn't giving 100%

He didn't even give 1% when he decided he didn't want to play in the EL games as he wanted a move. Now if that's not sulking, I don't know what is.

The amount of slagging off Pelle got for being cra_p and now he's the 'kin messiah.

Big Vic was a mardy git who simply didn't care and Mane was excellent when it wasn't cold. He had also made it blindingly clear, as had his agent who I an others had spoken to personally, that he was off as soon as a big club was in for him. He had wanted to go to Utd who he supported.

But let's re-write history and forget that we are currently in a better position than we were this time last season, with those heroes playing.

Professional sportsmen don't 'sulk'. That is a total fallacy used as an excuse for selling players who still have 3 years left on their contract. The number of times I saw that word used on here last season when Mane and Wanyama were clearly giving 100% and trying harder than anybody, was ridiculous.

This is what I wrote in the transfer thread at the end of last season and I still stand by it:

12-05-2016, 08:49 AM #442

For the first time in years our main transfer targets this year should be the players who are already here. They are going to give us our best ever Premier League finish and possibly come within 2 points of a Champions League place. Without the injuries to Forster and Bertrand, we'd probably be 3rd now. We are not going to get players much better than that so let's spend the transfer budget on keeping them here.

Sadio Berahino is having a monumental sulk at West Brom.

If you want to re-watch some of Wanyama's game last year, then go ahead. But he certainly wasn't giving 100%

He didn't even give 1% when he decided he didn't want to play in the EL games as he wanted a move. Now if that's not sulking, I don't know what is.

Funny thing is he will probably get a good reception when he returns to St. Mary's despite this. He deserves as much abuse as Lovren.

Edited by Saints foreva

We hardly miss Victor at all. Same can't be said for Mane and Pelle. They've both left huge voids in our team and our performances.

- Pelle was replaced by our top scorer Austin.

- Mane has been replaced by both Boufal & Redmond, some Saint fans have been far to quick to dismiss them both

Saints could end the weekend 7th, it is far from the disaster some are making out. We have the same amount of points this season as we did at this point last season with Koeman.

I'll tell you who would really improve us right now:

Jason Puncheon.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have sold him when we did but if Palace go down I'd love to see us bring him back.

Puncheon and Clyne were one of the best right hand side partnerships we've had in recent times.

Funny thing is he will probably get a good reception when he returns to St. Mary's despite this. He deserves as much abuse as Lovren.

Some people on here have some real anger issues. People don't 'deserve abuse'.

Abuse

the improper use of something.

"alcohol abuse"

synonyms: misuse, misapplication, misemployment, mishandling; More

exploitation, perversion

"this law is not going to stop the abuse of power"

unjust or corrupt practice.

"protection against fraud and abuse"

synonyms: corruption, injustice, wrongdoing, wrong, misconduct, delinquency, misdeed(s), offence(s), crime, fault, sin

"the scheme is open to political control and administrative abuse"

cruel and violent treatment of a person or animal.

"a black eye and other signs of physical abuse"

synonyms: mistreatment, maltreatment, ill treatment, ill use, misuse

Would he? I'd rather have Tadic and Boufal in the starting XI.

Not in their positions.

As a midfielder in our midfield three.

I suggest you watch some football and educate yourself as to player positions. Jason Puncheon has not played as a wide attacker frequently for a long time.

With Pelle and Mane in this side, we'd be up around the top four.

What makes you think they wouldn't have been rested in the Premier League to play Europa League games? Plus a knackered Pelle was next to useless the few times he looked tired last season.

Edited by The9

Disagree. Part of our problem is our three CMs all bring **** all to the table in attacks.

And part of that problem is that CMs who do bring loads offensively are either poor defensively or cost a fortune, which is why we sign promising ones cheaply to develop.

As said what me really miss is a creative force in the middle not hod carriers, I thought we had possibly had the in hojberg but he suffered from rotation and not forming a partnership. I know it's been mentioned several times but Ziyech could have been 1 bit to the puzzle, it doesn't help we don't really know how Puel wants us to play we've no pattern, we look good in 15min flashes where we press, then we look good for 15min sitting back and countering then the rest of the time we look like slow pondering garbage, we have a target man in Austin who rotates out to wing, we ping balls into box when nobody's there, just think it's very muddled, despite the bad press I would love Berahinho here, is he sulking? Possibly, possibly not,Yes he's put on weight but he's not playing think it's a case of him Pulis and Peace don't get on coupled with some poor advice from agents. But if fit and up and running he would outscored our forwards. If we wanted a target man in our price range then Bas dost would've done the job, I see West ham possibly wanting Batshuyi on loan if that was feasible then that would be a superb addition, problem is we royally f****d up the Europa we could've been an excellent selling point for players and potential investors

Edited by danjosaint

The proposition is interesting, but what would be more interesting is the backlash from posters around about now as the results of Pelle's winter hibernation,and Wanyama's utter lack of interest would be showing right about now.

The plums who still don't get it are never going to get it. Why haven't Liverpool still got Suarez, Utd still got Ronaldo?

When are one of these clubs going to wake up and keep all their in-demand players against their will? Must be loads of successful examples of teams that have done that. Feel free to list but know would rather bellyache like little spoilt children who don't get they can't have things the way they always want them Not that that would stop them.......will will find something to moan about whatever.

Haven't looked through this thread but is Batman is bemoaning Pelle going by any chance?

Edited by whelk

Mane, Boufal and Tadic as the front 3 would be amazing, the pace and danger from them would scare defenses. Pellet would be useful as a squad player. Romeu is doing a better job then wanyama did last season.

Having J-Rod before his injuries is all the current team actually needs.

Mane, Boufal and Tadic as the front 3 would be amazing, the pace and danger from them would scare defenses. Pellet would be useful as a squad player. Romeu is doing a better job then wanyama did last season.

Having J-Rod before his injuries is all the current team actually needs.

Romeu is doing the Schneiderlin job which Clasie was bought to do. Nobody is doing Wanyama's job and that is one of our problems.

We can't stop teams at the halfway line like Wanyama used to do, especially when the top teams tried to put us under pressure, so they run straight through the middle, leaving Fonte and van Dijk working overtime as the only line of defence. It's particularly noticeable in the 2nd half of games, when Romeu has run himself into the ground with little or no assistance in tackling from midfield team mates. Wnayma is yet another great player who was ridiculously underrated by some Saints fans, who like to stereotype players based on their appearance. He is currently on course to be Tottenham's player of the season

Tbf when we were losing earlier today it was mostly because none of Reed, Hojbjerg or Clasie was stopping anyone from getting straight to our defence. We only had the problem of Redmond not shielding Cedric from Daniels a couple of times though.

Romeu is doing the job Wanyama was doing. Without all the red cards.

We can't stop teams at the halfway line like Wanyama used to do, especially when the top teams tried to put us under pressure, so they run straight through the middle, leaving Fonte and van Dijk working overtime as the only line of defence. It's particularly noticeable in the 2nd half of games, when Romeu has run himself into the ground with little or no assistance in tackling from midfield team mates. Wnayma is yet another great player who was ridiculously underrated by some Saints fans, who like to stereotype players based on their appearance. He is currently on course to be Tottenham's player of the season

This is absolute rubbish, I have yet to see our fans stereotype a player based on race. If we are singling out Wanyame because he is African please explain the abuse young white and English JWP gets.

We are equal opportunity knobs.