Bournemouth 1-3 Saints - Reaction

doddisalegend

MotM vs Bournemouth (Away 2016/17)  

407 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Bournemouth (Away 2016/17)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Soares
    • van Dijk
    • Yoshida
    • Clasie
    • Reed
    • Højbjerg
    • Redmond
    • Boufal
    • Rodriguez
    • Davis
    • Tadic
    • Long

Just got home now ( how nice it is to sat at home glass of wine in hand within an hour of away game finish). Second half, different class. Davo superb , changed the whole shape of the game . Special mention for PEH , to perform that well second half after a poor first half ( and our supporters were twts for cheering a sucsesfiul pass) shows some mental toughness . But the whole day belongs to JRod , all round performance was great .

Delightful performance. A real hustle and verve to our play bar the first 10 mins, J Rod back amongst the goals (one of those players you support in addition to your baseline love for saints), Hojbjerg repaying the managers faith and Davis giving a masterclass, with Clasie superb. All i want for a the 28th is a goal or two for Redmond to give him a lift, he tries so hard for the team.

As a footnote, great to see Wilshere utter pants after his brief flourish at the start of the match.

Yeh liked the Puel seemed to have a quick word with Boufal when he came off in a strop, I hope he was telling him that is what you get when you get yourself stupidly booked for diving when you had a man beaten and could have had a shot on goal.

Just got home now ( how nice it is to sat at home glass of wine in hand within an hour of away game finish). Second half, different class. Davo superb , changed the whole shape of the game . Special mention for PEH , to perform that well second half after a poor first half ( and our supporters were twts for cheering a sucsesfiul pass) shows some mental toughness . But the whole day belongs to JRod , all round performance was great .

Agreed

Much better performance with actual attacking intent and lo and behold, we get the goals. We need to show more of that.

Glad Jay Rod got the goals...still a little wary of saying we should rely on him though. Could this be the end of Long as we see him shipped out to make way for someone? Hope not.

Three outstanding pieces of football. Bertrand putting Smith on his backside, going outside and finishing into the far corner, Run from Davis, back heel from Boufal, lovely dink from Davis over Boruc and a great run from Rodriguez into the goalmouth, Turn and control of the volley by Rodriguez into the top corner was absolute class.

That's more like it at last we got runners into the box.

PS Glasgow I suggest you don't give me the opportunity to give an early Christmas present to the forum.

Please, please, can I open it now??

Enough of the teasing, but I watched this with a random Cherries fan down my lucky pub. Like many I thought PJH had a bad first half and was impressed with his recovery. J-Rod was working well even before his goals, and looked so much more effective and sharp. Those goals will do so much for his confidence: a close range striker's sniff and one out of nothing - how the team has needed those. Davis looked tired on Wednesday but his half today was so effective. I've just opened a bottle of porter and off for a retrospective view of the match thread to laugh at certain poster's contribution - no names, no pack drill, but you can guess names if you like... :-)

Great performance today, looked solid at the back, won the ball in midfield and carried a threat up top as well. Got to hand it to Puel as well - he made good substitutions today - got it spot on. Thought Bertrand and VvD (as usual) were very strong, and have to give a special mention to PEH as well. He was woeful in the 1st half, but you could see that he was trying - when he blazed that shot in the first half that nearly went over the stand - I knew that he would be ok, he obviously still had the confidence to take the shot. Came out in the 2nd half and played really well - sign of a good pro.

Jay is Jay, we all know it's in there - we just need to get it out. Ran the channels, held it up, bullied their back line and scored two - the second one, really cracking finish, very please for him.

The match thread was as funny as ever. Yeah - I know, I'm not allowed to play the poster - but really - when they scored there was still about 90 minutes of the match to play, 90 minutes. Yet the usual suspects were there in force, it's just unbelievable how quickly some posters are to give up on the team - it's weird. I guess I shouldn't be surprised really - but I'm glad that I never have to actually go to a match with them - not a lot of optimism methinks.

If that's a 'banning comment' - sobeit.... Merry Christmas everybody.

Edited by Micky

Much better performance with actual attacking intent and lo and behold, we get the goals. We need to show more of that.

Glad Jay Rod got the goals...still a little wary of saying we should rely on him though. Could this be the end of Long as we see him shipped out to make way for someone? Hope not.

Not a chance, now we need him to score. Redmond is very pretty to watch but I'd prefer Long and Rodriguez and Boufal, it would be too much to hope to have Tadic on as well as the other three.

Great win. Betrand was incredibly effective, which is nice to see as I have thought he's been a bit of the pace since his return from injury. Davis introduction key, really impressed me with his composure and work rate, masterpiece from Puel. Absolute stunner from Jay, confidence is vital for him, and if we can get him consistently firing then I have high hopes for this season, despite the many disappointments thus far.

And I'm off from the US to watch the next three matches in the UK. Absolutely ****ing buzzing!

Jay Rod has overcome the physiological barrier today with his performance and two goals let's hope he can now get back to his best. Great win today better than I thought a draw at best was my prediction the introduction of Davis changed the game for me. A quick word for the Bournemouth fans you will always be just another football club never our south coast rivals.

Not a chance, now we need him to score. Redmond is very pretty to watch but I'd prefer Long and Rodriguez and Boufal, it would be too much to hope to have Tadic on as well as the other three.

Possibly Long up top and Rodriguez out left? Long has NEVER looked good for us out wide so shoe-horning him in is a bad idea, whereas Rodriguez looked at his best coming off the left playing off Lambert.

I think our best team right now is -

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

VVD

Bertrand

Romeu

Clasie

Davis

Boufal

Long

Rodriguez

JRod appears to have come alive - excellent 2nd goal. Whole team performed well except Redmond who I thought was extremely mediocre throughout - and don't tell me that he assisted JRod's 2nd because he had no idea what part he played and it was just lucky it fell to JRod who had everything to do to score. Nice to see us back into 7th for a little while at least and a good position for the Xmas period. Still hoping we sign a CB and a striker in the Jan window.

I gave Redmond stick on Wednesday for his performance being poor - always passing back or sideways, never taking on a player, giving the ball away cheaply. Today, it didn't seem any different 1st half, but 2nd half he improved immensely, driving forward, taking on defenders and causing problems. I think you're being disingenuous, because if he hadn't tried that then Jay would never have had the opportunity to score the 3rd. So what if it wasn't intended and was lucky, it happened because of his attacking play. Sure beat him with a stick when he has a poor game and doesn't contribute but don't slag him off when he has contributed and we have just won 3-1 away from home against an in form team. PEH was hopeless first half, our worst player, giving away a goal, but again his 2nd half performance was immense. Big shout out to Bertrand who was great today, with a really great goal and some incisive breaks down the left causing Bournemouth problems. Davis made a huge difference when he came on with a more positive approached. Pleased for JRod. I also gave him stick for missing 2 open goals recently, but he has bags of character and just wants to score goals with one good one and one fantastic one today. He'll miss more but he won't go missing and he'll get more, and I think now with CA out for a while we need him to step up and I think he will do well under CP and the way we look to play. Happy to be 7th at the moment after the departures in the summer, and I just hope we can keep VVD for the rest of this season and next season too.

Just to echo others -- was delighted by the Davis -> Reed switch even though PEH had been our most conspicuously poor player in the first half. Right tactics, right man management -- to trust Hojberg to get his head back on right in the changed role. Puel's attention to fitness levels is such a delightful change from Koeman; i agree that general freshness and energy was just as much a factor in the win as the fact that, well, we have the better squad. Big thumbs up for Bournemouth's season but the better team, and coach, won today.

And -- Davis deserves a lot of praise for the second, but the return backheel from Sofiane made the goal. In general i think he deserves a lot of credit for tormenting them and keeping Bournemouth on the back foot for the middle third of the game.

Great stint from Rodriguez -- thought he's been better than the awful goalmouth misses of the last couple weeks and he's earned his spot in the rotation, but the injury history for me means that we still need a new forward in the window.

Only caught the 2nd half . Watching in Malaysia atm .

We look soo much better when we don't play Puels natural negative game . Everybody looked up for it other than Redmond who was poor as usual . Stoked for Jrod , second goal was fantastic.

Hopefully we play positively in our future games rather than Puels preferred style . We can do it when we are allowed to .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

7th in the Premiership and also in the League Cup semi final. This didn't just happen overnight. Perhaps he is doing something right afterall?

Possibly Long up top and Rodriguez out left? Long has NEVER looked good for us out wide so shoe-horning him in is a bad idea, whereas Rodriguez looked at his best coming off the left playing off Lambert.

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

VVD

Bertrand

Romeu

Clasie

Davis

Boufal

Long

Rodriguez

Why long he's not anywhere near good enough. Don't understand supporters obsession with someone who doesn't score goals.

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

VVD

Bertrand

Romeu

Clasie

Davis

Boufal

Long

Rodriguez

I think J Rod is more effective leading the line..I'd have Tadic, J Rod and Boufal.

When the strikers are on form, I do believe Puel's style is very easy on the eye. Today was excellent, we grew into proceedings and really looked authoritative. Extremely encouraging and enjoyable.

But of course, it should be all about Jay. The first goal lifted him, he looked the same awkward skillful forward we remember. Long may it continue, so glad that he is reaping some reward after the last two and half years.

Delighted for Jay. In the build-up someone suggested that he is "so far from a Prem player it's embarrassing" That comment's pretty embarrassing now.

I've felt he's shown signs of getting his confidence and sharpness back in the last couple of games. Yes, there were two awful misses, but he had git into the position to give himself the chances.

Really hope he can stay fit and be the new striker we need.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

VVD

Bertrand

Romeu

Clasie

Davis

Boufal

Long

Rodriguez

I was only suggesting the three of them play. I agree with Long up the centre. I do think that the Davis coming off the bench with fresh legs and mind is a better option. Today he had a big influence and was far more positive than he has been in a long time. I would prefer Hojbjerg starting and I think the jury is still out on the second centre back. I think Fonte still has plenty to offer although Yoshida is definitely improving with regular play.

Yeh liked the Puel seemed to have a quick word with Boufal when he came off in a strop, I hope he was telling him that is what you get when you get yourself stupidly booked for diving when you had a man beaten and could have had a shot on goal.

Yea I agree. Boufal is pure class but he'd be better still if he cut out the histrionics and the simulation. He makes football look easy.

Huge kudos to Puel today.

Davis, an inspired sub.

Sticking with Jay Rod… really brave. And wow did that pay off.

But the real reason we won? Bournemouth ran out of energy. And we didn’t. Our players fresher. Yes the blitz of the first 10 minutes hurt us (typical of what we were doing under Poch). But we played the long game, and it totally worked today. I really do believe one of his greatest skills is managing player energy. We should back him.

With Jay Rod’s confidence back, Boufal looking incredible, and renewed belief in the manager, we could be in for a wonderful few months.

Spot on - it was bloody obvious that their thin squad playing 3 games in 8 days was going to tire compared to our lot who've been rotated all the way through. For once the midweek fixtures worked in our favour rather than against us.