How should we Strengthen in Jan?

ally_uk

Obviously you would need to consider the combination of transfer fee and wages before deciding if it would be cracking signing for the cash.

£20m fee and £60k p/w wages would be a much better deal than £10m fee and £150k p/w wages over 5 years.

Pulis has reiterated that WBA will be pretty much self sufficient as can be and wont break the bank to buy anyone

As we rely too much on Romeu, can we have Spiderman back?

But will he want to return? He spent years here and it isn't always beneficial to the player to return to a club (even though many have).

Mind. it certainly would be great if he could be persuaded to come back. He earned his international caps with Saints after all.

gylfi sigurdsson went back to Swansea after not cutting it at spurs and doing ok. Don't see why he wouldn't. What can WBA or Everton offer that we can't?

Luiz went back to Chelsea too....

We won't pay him what Everton will. Thats prettt much the long and short of it. Its also why he won't join WBA.

I assume wages would be big issue with bringing Morgan back. Whilst I'd love him back I'd just be happy to see Romeu sign a new contract.

Doubt we'll be very active in Jan which I don't mind as market is inflated and often only expensive dross like niasse available.

If fonte leaves I wonder if we'll consider Stephens/gardos adequate cover for half a season. Puel seemed to be talking up Stephens recently so it'll be interesting to see if they feel he's ready for first team.

We could certainly use a striker with height/strength which could perhaps be Gallagher or a new player. Equally I wouldn't complain if we brought in beratino as he has bags of talent and even with a tribunal fee it could still be a bargain, though clearly his attitude is a risk.

We won't be signing Morgan, I'd have said that much is fairly obvious. We have plenty of midfield options and Reed seems to be the preferred understudy to Romeu.

There will hopefully be a striker in, probably on loan. That's probably all we will do.

Are you as exciting in real life as you are on here?

Genuine question...

The same Morgan who in league one said to himself that he would get into the French national side at the World Cup?

Shame he didn't say to himself he wanted to hold down a position in Utd's first team then. Or stay in the French squad.

Schneiderlin has no excuses - 3 seasons as established PL player. So presumably you think his ability or technique is lacking if not his mentality?

the weak Ryan Bertrand. Handed it on a plate with the start in a champions league winning final. then in and out of a shyt villa side as he could not get a look in at chelsea

I recently visited Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park and saw Jermaine Defoe, my kids had their picture taken with him and I was surprised how happy he was to do that as he was getting bugged a fair bit (always had his down as the sulky type) anyway, as a joke I called him a Skate and asked if he fancied coming to Southampton, he rolled his eyes and said "Doubt it mate" so there you go folks, Defoe in January for £10 million!!

the weak Ryan Bertrand. Handed it on a plate with the start in a champions league winning final. then in and out of a shyt villa side as he could not get a look in at chelsea

You're just rambling about players now. I'll leave you to carry on bleating about how we are about to sell Romeu.

I'll bet if we dig up the Bertrand signing thread you'd have been complaining and I would have been pleased.

Is Morgan better than our current centre mids? Yes, therefore we should be looking at signing to improve our team.

Erm, is he? He's best suited to playing where Romeu is, and I think we all agree that Romeu's doing a fantastic job there. Schneiderlin at his best might be better there (he's never really played the holding role alone) but it's an expensive gamble with a position we already have well covered. To guarantee first team football, which Schneiderlin will demand, he would have to play in one of the shuttle roles. I'm sure he could play there, but I'm not sure we'd get the best out of him. His best is needed in order to justify his huge wages and possibly huge transfer fee. In a sense it would be like re-signing Alderweireld to play right back.

Edited by DuncanRG

Erm, is he? He's best suited to playing where Romeu is, and I think we all agree that Romeu's doing a fantastic job there. Schneiderlin at his best might be better there (he's never really played the holding role alone) but it's an expensive gamble with a position we already have well covered. To guarantee first team football, which Schneiderlin will demand, he would have to play in one of the shuttle roles. I'm sure he could play there, but I'm not sure we'd get the best out of him. His best is needed in order to justify his huge wages and possibly huge transfer fee.

Romeu's role was played by Wanyama, Schneiderlin best role is the shuttle role. But regardless, we have since signed Hojbjerg and need a more creative midfielder than Morgan.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/134172/Show/Conor-Hourihane

Looks a good option to me. Central midfielder that's good with and without the ball. Good end product. Very good set piece taker. Set pieces are an area we are struggling. We only have three set piece goals in the league. He's the highest rated Championship player on whoscored

Edited by FriendlySaint

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/134172/Show/Conor-Hourihane

Looks a good option to me. Central midfielder that's good with and without the ball. Good end product. Very good set piece taker. Set pieces are an area we are struggling. We only have three set piece goals in the league. He's the highest rated Championship player on whoscored

Linked with a few sides and six months on his contract.

http://www.90min.com/posts/4308815-barnsley-captain-conor-hourihane-being-closely-monitored-by-celtic-rangers-and-aston-villa