And George Michael joins the 2016 list!

Winnersaint

It's related, there'll be a minutes silence on Wednesday.

I've heard they set up a George Michael shrine near one of the corner flags, but then as a mark of respect moved it to a different one.

Edited by CB Fry

I've heard they set up a George Michael shrine near one of the corner flags, but then as a mark of respect moved it to a different one.

Ha ha Very good.

Incredible singer and songwriter, but not without his demons. Hope he has found his piece.

Do celebrity deaths really impact people that much to spoil their year? Undoubtedly some terrible deaths and they do shock us all but unless you personally know then any sadness surely passes quickly.

I get fed up reading tweets '2016 can fck off' '2016 can do one' etc.

Do celebrity deaths really impact people that much to spoil their year? Undoubtedly some terrible deaths and they do shock us all but unless you personally know then any sadness surely passes quickly.

Unless you were an uberfan of any of the departed then no, I don't see celeb deaths spoiling people's year.

The two that I felt sad about were Bowie and Rickman eleven months ago. Only because I was a fan of them and they had more to give and I'll miss witnessing them do it. Didn't spoil my year.

Since the sixties, the notion of the celebrity exploded in music, TV and film. Massive pool of household names now, available to us on demand. Naturally then, more and more are going to pop their clogs every year and it appears that the Grim Reaper is having a grand old time. 2017 will probably be told to 'fck off' as well...

I don't know why people follow football, unless they know the players personally they have no right to enjoy a victory or to be disappointed at a defeat.

You are being facetious and not saying people aren't genuinely upset. But it is not the same as grief of losing a loved one.

How do you know the celebrity deaths aren't compounding other sh*t things that have happened in people's lives? A tragic event that everyone can relate to can allow someone to vent their internal grief publicly without shame. Perhaps just as going to the footie and screaming "Guly you useless cvnt!" can help alleviate some of the stresses built up from other more serious aspects of peoples' lives.

I don't. But can compare with what gets levelled against the scousers for the mawkish grief with a lot of online behaviour and throwaway 'RIP's. I actually loathe the likes of Hopkins who gets angry at the outpouring of grief - well who knows with her as needs to be a contrarian to actually maintain any publicity. Don't think any thing wrong with saying you are upset, saddened or shocked just debating how deep or lasting it can be i.e. spoiling your year.