Next Manager

MarkSFC

click bait thread if ever there was one. Annoyed at myself for contributing to it.

The answers of course are

1) He wont, obviously, so its irrelevant, but the chances are we would end up with someone very ordinary.

2) He wont go in the summer either, so equally irrelevant, but we would almost certainly go for someone from Europe that most people had never heard of. Eddie Howe? What are people on.

The stupidity people who spent the whole summer saying things like "going to be tough having lost 2 class strikers", "Not sure we´ll cope with the amount of games" and "be happy with mid table this year" and yet are now calling for Puel´s head for getting us in the top half with a league cup semi final is staggering.

Were you not watching Frank De Boer's Inter in Europe? An even bigger shambles than our supposed one. He lasted 85 days there and was absolutely appalling despite making some big signings. Just how he is a better manager than what we have? Being a bigger name as a player means absolutely nothing in football coaching or management.

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not Puel's team and teams take time to build.

It would be ridiculous to sack a manager who is 9th in the premier league.

And disrespectful to talk about a new manager when we already have one.

The strength of a manager is how he reacts when problems arrive.

Allow him the time to evolve and develop.

Hang on a minute, our self lauded philosophy is that it doesn't matter who the manger is the squad is the squad. Only a few weeks back Les was in the media telling everyone who would listen that when managers come in they want their own staff and money and how dangerous that is. The it isn't Puels team excuse doesn't wash I'm afraid because according the the club whoever the manager is it isn't their team. You can read all about it here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37954971

Ideally I'd like someone with European experience, and a track record of developing players. He should take an interest in all the youth levels and be prepared to blood youngsters.

In return I would like to think the club and supporters will give the guy time to build his own team and, provided we're above half way and have a decent run in at least one of the cups I will be happy with his achievements for a first season.

Exactly this

Not so worried about this season, as we should be able to get enough points to stay up, although it is looking like it will be a pretty miserable second half of the season. More concerned about next season. I would give Puel to the end of the season. If nothing improves, then get rid then and reorganise. This has echos of 2003/04 for me. Imploded in the second half of the season, then struggled all the following season as nothing got sorted out that summer.

For me, I am just fed up with the constant chopping and changing of the team. We need to get a settled side for the rest of the season, once we are out of the cups, and grind out some results. Also need someone short term who can score goals.

As for who to replace Puel in the summer. Howe, with a good defensive coach, would have worked. But can see him going to Arsenal in the summer. Could do worse than raiding Celtic again and getting Brendan Rogers.

Back to British - Howe, Dyche or Rowett

Howe - might be good if we could entice him away. Only concern is that just as the club previously looked at continental coaches to see if there was any track record of working in more than one country, Howe's sucess is only at one club. Who's to say he isn't the new Alan Curbishley, "great job at Charlton" as was always pointed out, but a disaster elsewhere.

Dyche - not convinced, although he is doing a good job at Burnley.

Rowett - no particular track record, and sacked from a championship club.

By comparison with the last two, Adkins does not appear such a bad or unrealistic option. (although personally I think that would now be a mistake to go back).

Rowett - no particular track record, and sacked from a championship club.

quite a simplistic evaluation of a manager that did a great job at Burton and then a fantastic job at Brum before new Chinese owners got rid on the back of one poor display so they could get their photo taken with a Chelsea legend. I put his name forward in the summer. The only negative would be where he could attract top class players, but then again it's the wages we offer that matters most.

If Monsieur Puel choked on a mussel tonight (I seriously hope he doesn't) then I would give Mr Monk and Mr Beattie a call. They would lift the club and the fans I reckon. (Can I just repeat for the benefit of Lord Duckhunter, Trousers and Pamplemouse and other happy clappers lurking tonight, I no way am wishing any harm to Claude or his wife and I hope they enjoy their meal tonight).

Ideally I'd like someone with European experience, and a track record of developing players. He should take an interest in all the youth levels and be prepared to blood youngsters.

In return I would like to think the club and supporters will give the guy time to build his own team and, provided we're above half way and have a decent run in at least one of the cups I will be happy with his achievements for a first season.

I see what you did there.

Les says they already know who the next manager is before they lose the current one.

Time to see their next one.

Probably they know they might want, but that could be very wide of who is available, and willing to take it,

If Monsieur Puel choked on a mussel tonight (I seriously hope he doesn't) then I would give Mr Monk and Mr Beattie a call. They would lift the club and the fans I reckon. (Can I just repeat for the benefit of Lord Duckhunter, Trousers and Pamplemouse and other happy clappers lurking tonight, I no way am wishing any harm to Claude or his wife and I hope they enjoy their meal tonight).

So it Fitzhugh Fella, in the French Restaurant with a mussel

Thank f_uck you have no input.

IF for whatever reason we decide to get rid of Puel, and we need a bit of time to get the right appointment, then Nigel Adkins as caretaker manager until the end of the season would be good. It would lift the fans, undoubtedly.

HOWEVER I do not believe that a) we will sack Puel and b) we will need to. I think it will come good, we just need patience and the club to back him in the transfer window.

IF for whatever reason we decide to get rid of Puel, and we need a bit of time to get the right appointment, then Nigel Adkins as caretaker manager until the end of the season would be good. It would lift the fans, undoubtedly.

HOWEVER I do not believe that a) we will sack Puel and b) we will need to. I think it will come good, we just need patience and the club to back him in the transfer window.

What evidence have you seen to suggest he will come good? I haven't seen anything to suggest the style of play will change markedly.

It won't matter how many players we bring in if they're not allowed to go into the opposition penalty area.

Cx4Nh_LXcAACO9A.jpg

I am deeply confused. I have read many anti-Puel posts by you including when we were eighth in the league recently. But this seems compelling evidence that we were in fact performing to expectations.

Which of these two versions do you favour?

I am deeply confused. I have read many anti-Puel posts by you including when we were eighth in the league recently. But this seems compelling evidence that we were in fact performing to expectations.

Which of these two versions do you favour?

I did make my mind up about Puel fairly early on you're right - I wasn't hugely impressed with his CV and felt there were better candidates available for us. I blame Reed for his appointment (and Eric Black). I had hoped he (Puel and Black) would prove me wrong, but alas they haven't.....

My issues with Puel is not that he doesn't have us in the top 6 - in fact I acknowledged that the top 6 was not achievable with our current squad http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57444-Winning-quot-OUR-quot-league#.WGuGI5Krxok

The issues I have are -

- His rotation policy - http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57469-Puel-the-Tinkerman-it-s-not-working#.WGuG05Krxok

- Our lack of goals and attacking limitations Puel offers us tactically - http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57606-10-goals-in-the-last-14-games#.WGuG_JKrxok

- Our horrendous playing style and appalling performances this season - http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57568-Worst-performance-so-far-(under-Puel)#.WGuHGJKrxok

- The fact so many players are under performing this season - http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57427-What-s-gone-wrong#.WGuHV5Krxok

- His obsession with Redmond

- His delivery at pre/post matches

- Our exit from Europe and our performances in Europe

- All of the above in spite of having one of the most expensive squads in Europe