Everton v Saints Match Thread

St Chalet

Everton had a lot of the ball but did nothing with it

We look very good on the counter attack. I wish we would be a bit more direct at times and get the ball forward quicker, because our best opportunities have come when we have done exactly that.

Get Boufal on for the final 30 minutes and cause a bit of havoc.

Also, I can't believe how quiet Goodison Park is. Easily one of the worst atmopsheres in the Premier League.

After looking incredibly ragged in the first 20, we have settled down and have perhaps been slightly the better see. Great skill by Rodriguez to create his chance, but then wasted it. Encouraging though. Lots of fight throughout the side.

All the players that have been criticised recently have stepped up so far.

Edited by Chez

Thought we were ok in the first half. Much better than the last two games anyway. Stephens and Classie doing well. Redmond should have done much better with his couple of chances though. Jay was unlucky with his chance, did really well until the finish. Prowse needs to calm down and not do anything stupid.

Well, I wouldn't be happy if I were an Everton supporter either. Do their forums have the equivalent of Alpine, who is only happy when he's being miserable and critical? A fair bit of hoof ball in this game, and JR doesn't seem to be getting much protection.

So far so good from Stephens, good to see another nipper getting a chance, and hopefully Yoshida has got his obligatory mistake out of his system..

Everton may have been the first team to have dugouts, but they don't seem to have caught up since then and actually put some padding in front of their concrete walls.. A bit unforgiveable at the top level in this day and age.

Having only started watching the game after 30 mins, I thought we looked pretty good.

Showing some adventure in attack, although we still look a bit light up there. Some chances, ok possession, a bit of sideways/backwards movement, but not as much as when we're at home (frustratingly!).

We can nick this.

Much improved display. Even game between two pretty ordinary sides but much more commitment and energy today.

Shout out to Stephens - not a RB but playing pretty well (certainly better than Cuco the Clown). We have looked pretty dangerous on the break but Redmond and Tadic have been poor.

Contrary to what some have said, I think both Jay and JWP are playing well. Most of our incisive play is being directed by JWP and Jay looks threatening when running at defenders and almost had a great goal.

Hopefully we can push on 2nd half. Would rather have had Sims over Redmond/Tadic.

Was it ever mentioned why Cedric went off? What type of injury? Sorry if this has passed me by but I swear I didn't see it anywhere!

Shoulder to shoulder with Baines down by the byline, got a little shove and went flying into a metal chair according to the commo on SSN. WTF a metal chair was doing at the edge of the pitch is anyones guess. At least he didn't get put through a table or thrown off the top of the cage.

Are we really criticising him here for not scoring an absolutely world class goal that no-one had even tried in the Premier League in god knows how long?

skill difference between them, they could do those goals and he had trouble adjusting to head a ball from the penalty spot on goal

Thought we were ok in the first half. Much better than the last two games anyway. Stephens and Classie doing well. Redmond should have done much better with his couple of chances though. Jay was unlucky with his chance, did really well until the finish. Prowse needs to calm down and not do anything stupid.
why was Jay Rod unlucky? Should have done better would be appropriate if you are being consistent with your critique

Can't play possession football with a keeper like Forster. Pep surely knows.

Can't play possession football when you are scared of the closing down.

I'm affraid this team isn't really suited for it yet.

Too many times there was time and space to go forward, and they pass sideways o backwards until they reach Forster. Then he hoofs it and we lose the ball. Frustrating.

From what I see we don't need a striker. We badly need a physically strong box to box type of midfielder.

Shoulder to shoulder with Baines down by the byline, got a little shove and went flying into a metal chair according to the commo on SSN. WTF a metal chair was doing at the edge of the pitch is anyones guess. At least he didn't get put through a table or thrown off the top of the cage.

Ta. He doesn't have much luck does he!

skill difference between them, they could do those goals and he had trouble adjusting to head a ball from the penalty spot on goal

Oh give it a f*cking rest, Austin the messiah has missed those chances as well, as has every single football player who ever lived. The ball was behind him and had too much pace on it for him to adjust in time.

Most of our incisive play is being directed by JWP .

Disagree. It has come from Classie and Romeu. With Mcqueen and Stephens trying to get the ball to Redmond and Tadic. JWP has done very little of note imo. Except the card obviously.