Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

So he wasn't the? Are you telling us that he was a perfectly happy bunny?

Les Reed said he was being thoroughly professional about it all (Fonte) and he would have remained as captain if he had stayed.

unless, Les was not telling the truth?

Just a snippet of inside info on this. The players were disappointed that Fonte left, as he was generally well liked, but at the same time they could see he wasn't his usual self and not really living up to his role as captain.

The players (generally) think Puel is a good man but it feels like he has his hands tied a little bit. Although we are looking for a replacement for Jose, the players are all rooting for Yoshida to make a success of his chance, as he is exceptionally popular in the camp - apparently everybody loves Maya!

I know what appears from the outside may be different from what happens on the inside, but how could you not "love" Maya?? His approach and application are first class, even if I said that I personally would not be content with sitting on the bench for 4 years.

Just a snippet of inside info on this. The players were disappointed that Fonte left, as he was generally well liked, but at the same time they could see he wasn't his usual self and not really living up to his role as captain.

The players (generally) think Puel is a good man but it feels like he has his hands tied a little bit. Although we are looking for a replacement for Jose, the players are all rooting for Yoshida to make a success of his chance, as he is exceptionally popular in the camp - apparently everybody loves Maya!

His hands tied in what way by whom?

His hands tied in what way by whom?

Not being able to bring more players in, by the board presumably. Seems odd that the players would see/think this though, so not sure if that bit came from the players or from another source.

On a side note, anyone know who else Yoshida's agent represents? I can only find Keisuke Honda.

Not being able to bring more players in, by the board presumably. Seems odd that the players would see/think this though, so not sure if that bit came from the players or from another source.

On a side note, anyone know who else Yoshida's agent represents? I can only find Keisuke Honda.

Never mind, just found out it's (probably) Molla Wague, think that and the Gabbiadini rumours have substance, even if nothing comes of it in the end.

I'm sure part of him wishes it was him leading us out, but too late for that now. Wonder if he'll be another who looks back in a year or so and wishes he never left.

I guess winning the Euros makes a difference . Had he not won anything in his career , and unlikely to at West Ham , I'm sure it would have hurt more if he didn't have one of the greatest prizes in his locker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From memory, didn't Kevin Davies get a medal for our 2003 cup run? He wasn't even on the bench.

Didn't he score arguably the most important goal of the run...? Coming off the bench to score a late equaliser against millwall at home.

In the pub, had a few beers, can't be arsed checking through 26 pages if anybody else has asked this, but, does not the black box that they have, have somebody already lined up if somebody leaves? If so who's replacing Fonte?

The club will have no doubt have identified a range of possible targets. Signing them is a different matter entirely.

Still, let's wait until the end of the window before passing judgement.

Did anyone hear him on talk sport ? That arse licker White let him off the hook. "Did you put in a transfer request" he asked Jose. "What's a transfer request"(as if he didn't know) came the reply . "When you write to the club asking to leave", the reply " no I did not". That was it, white then went on and on about putting the record straight and digging at club . The simple question was "did you ask to leave" , I doubt even Payet put it in writing , it just doesn't happen .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Interviewed by Souness for Mnf tonight , tells him how hard done by he's been , it's all lies about the transfer request and he was being a good captain right up to the end !

It's a moot point that he denies asking for a transfer and then confirming that when he got back from the Euros he told the club there were a number of opportunity that he wanted the club to consider.

Also, for maximum effect, get a guy to interview him who has a big chip on his shoulder about Saints.

Two words Graeme - Ali Dai.

Not sure about others, but......

When I see all over the news that I submitted a transfer request to leave the club - that's disappointing.

.....and .....

I spoke to the club and said there could be possibilities [to move] and I would like the club to consider it.

.....lead me to think that there is a bit of semantics going on. Didn't write a letter. Maybe not, but he came back from EC16 and said that he wanted SFC to consider offers for him (ie he was happy enough to move) which he didn't get. He then says West Ham came back in in January.

My conscious is very clear.

I'm sure one can convince oneself of anything, especially when a couple of million are at stake. It's easy to forget about the contract extension one signed a few short months before. Money and conscience (conscious FFS!!!) aren't easy bed fellows.

Can't believe people think Souness doesn't like saints.

He is always gushing for praise with us when its due, and usually pretty even handed. He is one of my favourite pundits for saints games. Jamie Redknapp is clearly a massive saints fan though... (and his kid is training with us?)... So he takes the biscuit.

But all in all, Sky are usually very generous to saints. Not like BT and the BBC with their massive Liverpool hard ons and constant amazement in how we perform!!

As for chips on shoulders. Reading some of the comments I think its more a case of some saints fans have a chip on their shoulder about Souness than the other way around? Or is that just my reading off the comments?

As was said at length at the time. The club moved Fonte on. Probably a bit of bad from both and Fonte obviously wanted to consider moves... somehow I doubt west ham was what he wanted but the club then shoved him out the door and got rid anyway. It didn't need the media PR war that we then waged against a club captain and a good servant. Nor does it excuse the club for not signing back up!! - and given the league cup final, that is all I care about! Opportunity wasted as a result.

Wanted to leave (we dont know the full reason, cant be about money though) he didnt want to lose face over handing in a transfer request even though his words mean the same thing. No doubt it happened because the club wouldnt pay up bonuses to someone who wanted out. Fonte just looks daft really making this sort of scripted interview in 'March'.

Also, for maximum effect, get a guy to interview him who has a big chip on his shoulder about Saints.

Never had the impression he had a chip on his shoulder where we were concerned............ might still have a bit of niggle at having a Chairman called Rupert and an ex-player on the coaching staff picking a fight with him on the touch line at SMS.

As I said on the other thread where this features, it appears that Souness have been to sensationalist journalism courses.

Why can't it be about money?? We supposedly offered to up his wages to £70k a week

Saints = 18 months @ £70k a week = £5.460m

WHU = 30 months @ £65k a week = £8.450m

Would you take the chance that after 18 months you would be offered another contract at the same level? Would you be prepared to risk £3m? He openly admitted that he was doing the best for him/his family (as obviously he can't possibly get any other form of work when he hangs up his boots).

I was in a difficult situation but considering things since the summer I think I behaved in a good way. It wasn't the ending everyone wanted but it happened, so we have to move on.

Sorry mate, what "difficult situation"? You were under a new contract only from the year before, captain of the side and earning a LOT of money for it. Adored by the fans, respected by your peers. What was 'difficult' exactly? You kick a ball around every week, get some ****ing perspective.

****ing tool. Lost a lot of respect for him after watching that.

It's all a bit boring now. Let's face it he obviously had some issues with the club, otherwise there would be no need to do an interview like that after leaving. My guess is the EC victory went to his head, but it all backfired in the end and it must be a bit embarassing that he ended up at West Ham. He was a great captain, but he's gone and we move on.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Les Reed quoted early January that Fonte turned down a pay rise last August and since then also another permanent year which adding to his 2015 extension would take to 2019 ala West Ham.

This direct quote makes it pretty clear it was about the money

I appreciate what the club had done for me since day one but we all have to take care of our families. There were offers that came in that would take care of my family in ways that Southampton weren't willing to. It's a difficult situation.

I arrived in the Premier League late at 29 years old - you still have to live 50 years after football. You do your best for yourself and your family. You've got to fight for what you believe. I respected the club, but they weren't willing to find an agreement and reach a compromise.

Sorry mate, what "difficult situation"? You were under a new contract only from the year before, captain of the side and earning a LOT of money for it. Adored by the fans, respected by your peers. What was 'difficult' exactly? You kick a ball around every week, get some ****ing perspective.

****ing tool. Lost a lot of respect for him after watching that.

Exactly what I was thinking, there was only a difficult situation if he created one.

He was a great servant for us but his attitude and demeanour clearly changed after the summer. Best to remember him for the good times and move on, as we'll probably never know the full truth of what transpired.

Lol at this line

it was a no brainer for me because of the size of the club and the move to the Olympic Stadium.

The passionate fans they have and also the ambition of the manager and the chairman. It was an easy descion to choose West Ham.

We know another club who supposedly have 'passionate fans'. It seems like thuggery and hooliganism class as 'passion' these days.

All utter b*llcks. We know it was the money José, we're not mugs.

We'll be a better and stronger side with him gone.

This direct quote makes it pretty clear it was about the money

I appreciate what the club had done for me since day one but we all have to take care of our families. There were offers that came in that would take care of my family in ways that Southampton weren't willing to. It's a difficult situation.

I arrived in the Premier League late at 29 years old - you still have to live 50 years after football. You do your best for yourself and your family. You've got to fight for what you believe. I respected the club, but they weren't willing to find an agreement and reach a compromise.

So with wages and contract matched ala west ham, the only other thing woud be a signing on fee.

Fonte remember didnt take a payrise last August for whatever reason.

I dont think he got that sort of offer from West Ham, i imagine it was Man United with his agent and Mourinho as we know.

The location of east london and beyond will clearly sort his wife out as thats where she comes from.