Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

All I can say is f*ck Fonte.

He was only the senior partner in League 1, Champs and 1st year in Prem.

Since then Lovren, Toby and Virgil have all been the guys wanted by other teams and it is no coincidence that 2 of them got poached to Pool or Spurs and Virgil is the best of the lot and is destined to another completley different plane and needs to go to Real or Barca.

Jose looks like he is off to palace or west ham.

Says a lot.

All I can say is f*ck Fonte.

He was only the senior partner in League 1, Champs and 1st year in Prem.

Since then Lovren, Toby and Virgil have all been the guys wanted by other teams and it is no coincidence that 2 of them got poached to Pool or Spurs and Virgil is the best of the lot and is destined to another completley different plane and needs to go to Real or Barca.

Jose looks like he is off to palace or west ham.

Says a lot.

you can't deny age is against him, had he been 25/26 then think he would have deffo been looked at.

however, whilst he isn't good enough to get into the FIRST 11 of any top 6 team, am surprised none of them are willing to take him as a squad player- my bet is the bloke is demanding a 90k weekly contract on a three year term, which surely none of the top 6 are daft enough to do.

fonte has dug his own hole, he can rot in it, but should he leave I'll thank him for his service and memories, wish him well, but unfortunately be left with slightly sour taste to what could have been (leading us out at Wembley/testimonial/future job here etc).

OR an apology with his head back in it would be great!

you can't deny age is against him, had he been 25/26 then think he would have deffo been looked at.

however, whilst he isn't good enough to get into the FIRST 11 of any top 6 team, am surprised none of them are willing to take him as a squad player- my bet is the bloke is demanding a 90k weekly contract on a three year term, which surely none of the top 6 are daft enough to do.

fonte has dug his own hole, he can rot in it, but should he leave I'll thank him for his service and memories, wish him well, but unfortunately be left with slightly sour taste to what could have been (leading us out at Wembley/testimonial/future job here etc).

OR an apology with his head back in it would be great!

Bro you are now my 2nd fav poster after SuperSaint (we are Ziyech brothers), however I would point out Heisenberg is 3rd but he is the GOAT troll of this forum :-)

A reasoned and well thought out post, good man.

I just hope he doesn't side step to West Ham or downgrade to Palace.

Unfortunately, I think his management are to blame for this. I think they are greedy schiesters.

Fonte and his family were settled in Hampshire, son at school etc now a sideward move would not be good. It's no good being led by greed, I really didn't think Fonte was that way inclined being a loyal servant for the club, but maybe I am an idealist.

Unfortunately, I think his management are to blame for this. I think they are greedy schiesters.

I don't think you can say his management are to blame. He's not some young academy kid trying to find his way in the wicked world of football wheeling and dealing. He's a mature experienced pro and he should realise that his agent works for him, not the other way round.

Anyway, like others, even if he doesn't get a luctartive move I suspect pride, and not wanting to lose face, has taken over now and there's no way back in our team.

I just want VVD to be formally made captain so that at least one small point of uncertainty is removed.

I will always be grateful for Fonte's contribution, but I want him to f**k off now, it seems he may have been a disruptive influence on the squad and perhaps is the reason for some of the performances this season.

Same as that. I'd be happy if he did one now.

Heard from a source(unsure how reliable, but I trust them enough to post it and hope I don't look like a prat) that he will go to Benfica.

I would not begrudge him at all if he goes back to Portugal. He always said he wanted to finish up back home. If that's the club that have tapped him up then I can totally understand him putting in a transfer request to join them. He'd go with my full support.

I would not begrudge him at all if he goes back to Portugal. He always said he wanted to finish up back home. If that's the club that have tapped him up then I can totally understand him putting in a transfer request to join them. He'd go with my full support.

Can Benfica give him a bumper pay-day though?

Wouldn't go as far as this.

I've lost a lot of love, support and respect for the bloke due to the way he has acted this season (not re transfer request, but things that have happened behind the scenes).

Don't think he deserves the treatment that Lallana gets, well from me anyway, but certainly nowhere near the respect Lambert received.

I think, when he goes, for me i'll just treat it as any other player. which is a shame considering what he has done with (not for) this club.

Heard from a source(unsure how reliable, but I trust them enough to post it and hope I don't look like a prat) that he will go to Benfica.

I would not be in the slightest bit surprised to see him head home back to Portugal. He's still regarded as a hero like the rest of the Euro 2016 Portugal squad; combine that with a few "cryptic" posts on his FB page following the Brexit vote and it does make plenty of sense to me.

I cannot personally see him turning out for West Ham or even Palace where he played before. Not saying it won't happen, just doesn't add up for me.

I will always be grateful for Fonte's contribution, but I want him to f**k off now, it seems he may have been a disruptive influence on the squad and perhaps is the reason for some of the performances this season.

Isn't that a little assumptive of what has been going on? A few tit bits here and there, and while it is easy to join the dots, you might well be justified in your conclusions, but then it might be far from the truth. Or do you know more about what is/has been going on?

I've lost a lot of love, support and respect for the bloke due to the way he has acted this season (not re transfer request, but things that have happened behind the scenes).

Don't think he deserves the treatment that Lallana gets, well from me anyway, but certainly nowhere near the respect Lambert received.

I think, when he goes, for me i'll just treat it as any other player. which is a shame considering what he has done with (not for) this club.

Well I can't comment on the behind the scenes stuff as I know nothing about it.

He should have just given us this season & left in the summer. (12 months on contract, so would have been easier to move clubs).

Instead he's made a bit of a t*t of himself.

What exactly have you seen happening behind the scenes?

Isn't that a little assumptive of what has been going on? A few tit bits here and there, and while it is easy to join the dots, you might well be justified in your conclusions, but then it might be far from the truth. Or do you know more about what is/has been going on?
Just like you it is these 'tit bits' that are all I have to go on, we know that Jose Fonte wants to leave and so it is fairly obvious that there has been a breakdown in the relationship between him and the team/club. For those reasons I want him to leave asap.

He should have just given us this season & left in the summer. (12 months on contract, so would have been easier to move clubs).

Instead he's made a bit of a t*t of himself.

He'd have also had the chance of European football this year, as well.

Andy Townsend said this morning that players don't hand transfer requests in unless they know a club wants them and they want to go there .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2+2 with Allardyce's comments this morning, you would have to think we are playing hard ball with Palace over the price .... good on us!

2+2 with Allardyce's comments this morning, you would have to think we are playing hard ball with Palace over the price .... good on us!

I really find it hard to believe that Fonte handed in a summer transfer request because having won the Euros he had a burning desire to return to a Pardew managed Palace. Now if what ever move he thought he was going to get has fallen through and he thinks he has burnt his bridges at saints I could see him taking Palace out of desperation now.

Andy Townsend said this morning that players don't hand transfer requests in unless they know a club wants them and they want to go there .

Doesn't quite gel with Adam Blackmore saying on Solent, the other night, that a source had told him Fonte's agent had told him to take Southampton's contract offer.

Edited by doddisalegend

Quite possible that no one is really at fault here.

If Fonte really wants to leave, for whatever reason, then as far as I can see he has gone about it the right way, by and large. He's still given his all on the pitch, from my observations, and he has put in a formal transfer request. You could also say he has been honourable by not signing an increased deal and then agitating for a move anyway like that **** Payet seems to have done.

Likewise, the club can quite fairly say "you're under contract and you won't leave until we are happy with the timing and circumstances".

If the upshot of all that is that, on balance, we think it best not to select him for matches for now then that's also the club's prerogative.

Unless someone wants to explain, in some detail, why either party is at fault then it just looks like "one of those things" to me. No need to get medieval on anyone's ass.

I really find it hard to believe that Fonte handed in a summer transfer request because having won the Euros he had a burning desire to return to a Pardew managed Palace. Now if what ever move he thought he was going to get has fallen through and he thinks he has burnt his bridges at saints I could see him taking Palace out of desperation now.

It all depends when he made it " formal". There's no doubt he wanted away in summer but did he make it a formal request to leave .Unlikely, because players just don't do that. Townsend's point was to make an official request to leave you know full well where you want to go and know full well they want you, and you've agreed basic terms. Maybe Fonte wanted to go to Utd in summer, but was denied move. He was happy to play through till end of season, but somethings happened recently to make him officially want to leave. Maybe Fat Sam and little Sam tapping him up is the thing.

I think it's quite funny seeing the big clubs starting to get picked off by the super rich Chinese' date=' in the way they've traditionally done it to other sides. Doesn't really affect us, we already get picked off each year... :D[/quote']

This.

And watch all their helmet new fans moan about how "we've got to stop this money ruining football". Cretins.

thus you would imagine a deal is probably all in place between saints and that club and now we are just waiting for us to get the replacement sorted before we allow it to push through.

Who's going to pay anything for Martina when they can get him for nothing in 5½ months?
we paid for Austin when we could have waited 5months and got him on a free. It depends what value the player can bring in that period to the buying club. That said I doubt anyone will buy apart from Koeman and Everton have youth coming through at RB.

Yeah you're right . What would an expro who has been transferred 5/6 times know about transfers, compared to a bloke who posts on a football forum .

A bit hypocritical I would have thought as you reject most advice from economists regarding the economy

But must admit I agree with what you have been saying on the forum for some time keep it up it does make complete sense

A bit hypocritical I would have thought as you reject most advice from economists regarding the economy

But must admit I agree with what you have been saying on the forum for some time keep it up it does make complete sense

There's a difference between somebody predicting something and somebody explaining how things happen. Economic forecasts are like football predictions . Townsend may know more about the game than me but if he predicts a result it's perfectly reasonable to disagree with it. If he explains how transfers work, you'd be a fool to say " no they don't " if you've not worked in the game