Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

Sad that it came to an end like this but glad it's getting sorted and we are going to get a decent price for a 33rd year old.

Great opportunity for jack Stephens to prove if he's good enough.

Saw Gardos made the bench today too.

£9m for a 33 year old who we didn't want to offer a longer deal to.

I appreciate that we have to replace, but that's fecking crazy.

Given all of the intense monitoring we do of players we will have a pretty good idea of when a player is in decline - probably why we didn't want to offer a longer deal - so £9m would be a result.

Where does it say 9m? All I can see is a supposed ITK claiming on the WHU forum that he will sign.

Quite clearly he's after one last big pay day, says a lot that WHU are the only club to offer that. Bunch of loons in charge of that place.

Says more about our club not giving a loyal player the contract he deserves after the years of service hd has put in.

More like, lets get a high salary off the books and bring a fee in at the same time.

The high turnover of players to a large degree is if the club's desire to bring in money...

Says more about our club not giving a loyal player the contract he deserves after the years of service hd has put in.

More like, lets get a high salary off the books and bring a fee in at the same time.

The high turnover of players to a large degree is if the club's desire to bring in money...

I don't think there's loyalty in football in any sense, so I wouldn't expect it from the club. It's a business, if they don't feel that it's business sense to offer him the terms he wants then that's it. Loyalty won't come into it.

Personally I think 80k for the next 2 years + is a lot of money for a club of our size. That sort of wage should be going on the Virgils etc, not players who are declining. Man City/Utd etc could probably stretch to that, but I don't think we're big enough to take that sort of risk.

If this does happen - not that I've seen anything concrete yet - then I'd expect us to get another CB in sharpish. If the club decide to rely on Yoshida as his replacement then they have also given up on this season - no disrespect to Yoshida, but he's a great squad player, if we want to be where we were last season then we need better players than him in the 11 on a regular basis.

I don't think there's loyalty in football in any sense, so I wouldn't expect it from the club. It's a business, if they don't feel that it's business sense to offer him the terms he wants then that's it. Loyalty won't come into it.

Personally I think 80k for the next 2 years + is a lot of money for a club of our size. That sort of wage should be going on the Virgils etc, not players who are declining. Man City/Utd etc could probably stretch to that, but I don't think we're big enough to take that sort of risk.

If this does happen - not that I've seen anything concrete yet - then I'd expect us to get another CB in sharpish. If the club decide to rely on Yoshida as his replacement then they have also given up on this season - no disrespect to Yoshida, but he's a great squad player, if we want to be where we were last season then we need better players than him in the 11 on a regular basis.

Good call; though there are players other than Yoshida starting regularly who need to be improved upon as well. If the Fonte move to WH for 9 million is true then it's probably the right call by the Club. Similar to Lambert situation in a way; long standing Club stalwart, in decline, evokes calls of "no loyalty" from Club and/or player but in truth, the players who stay are either happy with their contract or not attracting interest elsewhere.

If Jose is parading around on the WHU website tomorrow then SFC have got 24 hours to announce the replacement or the meltdown on here will be visible from space.

Readymade replacement on the bench tonight in Gardos. Reed's just putting the finishing touches to his press release video.

He signed the contract "he deserved" (although not sure why he deserves it) in October 2015.. That seemed fine up to and including May 2016, but come July 2016 it was no longer any good.

If Jose is parading around on the WHU website tomorrow then the Saintsweb forum have got 24 hours before MLG claims Gardos was always Fontes replacement

FWIW i can't believe Fonte would be prepared to drop down the table and sign for WHU, they are shocking this season

If Jose is parading around on the WHU website tomorrow then the Saintsweb forum have got 24 hours before MLG claims Gardos was always Fontes replacement

FWIW i can't believe Fonte would be prepared to drop down the table and sign for WHU, they are shocking this season

Yep awful, and still they're a point and a place ahead of us.

We're in semi final of LC though so all is fine.

West ****in Ham! After all that!

Suppose the Super Agent did his job in terms of cash, but what about the trophies, glory and the medals?

You've been very badly advised Mr Fonte...

If you think it's about anything more than cash for a 33 year old who's looking for a final payday.....

Perhaps he just doesn't get on with Puel, maybe he disagrees over tactics, selection or the fact we just don't play our strongest team regularly? Having the captain undermining the manager just wouldn't work.The club obviously would have sided with Puel/Black so nothing left to do but leave.

Shame really he has been great for us.

Perhaps he just doesn't get on with Puel, maybe he disagrees over tactics, selection or the fact we just don't play our strongest team regularly? Having the captain undermining the manager just wouldn't work.The club obviously would have sided with Puel/Black so nothing left to do but leave.

Shame really he has been great for us.

Unlike Puel and Black so far!

Loyalty suggests he could have taken a better offer elsewhere but chose not to. That isn't the case.

He hasn't been loyal, he's just been here ages. A bit like Lundekvam really.

How would it? Sakho is awful.

No he's not! He's French International defender, who just needs a run of games and back playing again. Ideal replacement for Fonte and 6 years younger. Would probably get on well with our dull French manager. Also has re-sale value which the club likes etc.

Cortese would never try and sell one of our club legends who played a massive role in our promotions through the divisions to West Ham United.

Nope, he'd just keep handing out bigger and bigger contracts that the club can't afford.

Im not surprised if these West Ham rumors are true, said it in here before but i dont see a top 6 club paying 10 million for a 33 year old defender. It doesnt really make sense for them to do so.

Says a lot tho that a player who's been with the club for 7 years wants out for just a small pay raise.

Sakho the potential replacement?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4133856/amp/Liverpool-turn-Mamadou-Sakho-bid-Southampton.html?client=safari

That could be our first approach?

He HAS to be replaced, Stephens is not his replacement

Why is Stephens not his replacement? Just asking as the club think a lot of him.

Im not surprised if these West Ham rumors are true, said it in here before but i dont see a top 6 club paying 10 million for a 33 year old defender. It doesnt really make sense for them to do so.

Says a lot tho that a player who's been with the club for 7 years wants out for just a small pay raise.

Its not the pay rise its, the length of contract - if you read your first part (33 year old) you'll understand that the second part isn't the issue. Why would Saints offer an extended contract to a defender that is only going to get slower? SFC have all the performance stats on Fonte that they need to make that decision.

If he ends up at WHU then good luck to him I bear him no ill will as he's been outstanding for us but likewise we have been more than just good for him.