Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/19/jose-fonte-southampton-captain-advanced-talks-sign-west-ham

West Ham are in advanced talks to sign the Southampton captain, José Fonte, although Slaven Bilic may have to beat off competition from Everton to land the Portuguese defender this month.

West Ham have began negotiations with Southampton, although it is understood the player is yet to formally discuss a move to the London Stadium.

Why is Stephens not his replacement? Just asking as the club think a lot of him.

Not saying he's not good enough, we need senior players.

I'd see Stephens as 1 of 4, along with VVD, Fonte, Yosh. Gardos is obviously not included in that seeing as he's not been picked at all (except yesterday)

IF Jose ends up at West Ham then I think it will be a move to save face on his part after hiring an agent known to run roughshot over people to get a big cut of a big payday. Can't help but think Fonte had visions of grandeur at playing for a United or Liverpool, and I wouldn't blame him for that. Going to West Ham in their current position hardly seems worth ditching the club he has become such a big part of. While I am sure he will be glad of the extra money, I doubt that was his primary motivation for leaving, but most certainly the top priority for Mendes.

Regarding Sakho, he is an excellent defender, but he does have a tendency to be a little... haphazard in his distribution. I think Liverpool fans have their hearts in their mouths when the ball is at his feet!

I'd see Stephens as 1 of 4, along with VVD, Fonte, Yosh. Gardos is obviously not included in that seeing as he's not been picked at all (except yesterday)

Gardos is only just coming back from another injury I believe.

It'd be a shame if he's just left in the wilderness, he did cost us £7million and looked decent before his first injury.

Gardos is only just coming back from another injury I believe.

It'd be a shame if he's just left in the wilderness, he did cost us £7million and looked decent before his first injury.

Not sure too many would agree with you there mate. Unlikely to play for us I would suggest, and if he does it would likely mean we are desperate or playing in The Championship again!

Reed said in his interview that he wouldn't be sold without a replacement. I therefore expect a replacement to come in either before or just after we sell. Otherwise I'm afraid we need to add another statement to the list of things Les Reed says which then don't actually happen.

BILIC PROVIDES BIG FONTE UPDATE

This morning we brought you news that West Ham were in talks with Southampton over central defender Jose Fonte, and while Bilic has denied the player is having a medical at the club he admitted that they could have something to announce in 24 hours time...

"[Fonte is] not having a medical today," said Bilic.

"We are not talking about transfers, we are working on some though.

"There are one or two players we need, it won’t be easy, but we are trying.

"Hopefully have something to announce in 24 hours."

Telegraph Football ‏@TeleFootball

Joe Fonte set to leave Southampton after bids from West Ham and West Brom are accepted

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/19/jose-fonte-bids-accepted-west-ham-west-brom-southampton-captain/

If we sell him to West Brom then that really does say something about the club for me. You can't sell your captain to a team like West Brom and then claim to be ambitious. Whatever Jose's reasons are it does seem to indicate something isn't right at SFC at the moment.

If we sell him to West Brom then that really does say something about the club for me. You can't sell your captain to a team like West Brom and then claim to be ambitious. Whatever Jose's reasons are it does seem to indicate something isn't right at SFC at the moment.

I think his agent has probably sold him a yarn that huge clubs wanted him and they clearly haven't...

Or, he's fallen out with the hierarchy and he's just going to whoever we accept bids from.

Surprised Everton haven't made a move yet.

Or, as reported by numerous sources (MLT included), he's been acting like a bit of a t**t since the Euro's and we want him out ASAP. If West Brom want to pay a wage over the odds for a 33 year old and stick him on a 3 year deal then so be it!

Assumption is the mother of all **** ups. And you are assuming quite a bit at this stage. You may well be right, but I can't understand why everyone is so easy to jump on the back of the club. They haven't changed their stance at all since he signed his improved contract in Oct 15.

I think his agent has probably sold him a yarn that huge clubs wanted him and they clearly haven't...

Or, he's fallen out with the hierarchy and he's just going to whoever we accept bids from.

I'm aligned with this line of thinking. He clearly had ambitions of 'moving up' or being paid a ridiculous wage (à la Pelle), and it's all fallen flat after he burnt his bridges. All seems very unnecessary with hindsight, but that's football agents for you. West Ham or West Brom...jesus, you couldn't get a more sideways/pointless move - I doubt the pay increase will even be *that* much (but Mendes will get his fee, of course). At any rate, £10m-£12m and a Sakho-level replacement will be good business, so there isn't much cause to be too disgruntled.

I honestly think it's a case of him wanting a three year deal whilst we aren't willing to do that for a 33 year old. He want's assurances that he'll have income for the next 3 years. He's gone about it the right way really. We won't give him what he wants so he want's to go somewhere where they will. It's unfortunate as he's been amazing for us but it is what it is.

Lets just hope the mongs at St Mary's don't boo him.

I honestly think it's a case of him wanting a three year deal whilst we aren't willing to do that for a 33 year old. He want's assurances that he'll have income for the next 3 years. He's gone about it the right way really. We won't give him what he wants so he want's to go somewhere where they will. It's unfortunate as he's been amazing for us but it is what it is.

So if he wanted a 3 year contract, why did he sign one that ended in 18 months time??? Strewth, some of you guys seem to think that the club should bend over and take it and the whim of every player.

I'm aligned with this line of thinking. He clearly had ambitions of 'moving up' or being paid a ridiculous wage (à la Pelle), and it's all fallen flat after he burnt his bridges. All seems very unnecessary with hindsight, but that's football agents for you. West Ham or West Brom...jesus, you couldn't get a more sideways/pointless move - I doubt the pay increase will even be *that* much (but Mendes will get his fee, of course). At any rate, £10m-£12m and a Sakho-level replacement will be good business, so there isn't much cause to be too disgruntled.

Yet Solent were saying his agent had advised him to accept Saints offer.

Agree that bridges appear to have been burnt. Great shame that a player that has been such a part of our rise ends his time here in this way.

Although I read that he came back from the Euro's a changed player, I go along with someone elses comment above that the whole episode tends to support the fact that things are not right behind the scenes. Whether that is Reed, Puel, or as widely suggested Black, its a great shame. Just hope this is prevented from spiraling out of control.

its a mess, perhaps the club have tried to play him as the bad guy so that it loses him his status with the fans. He is also a lot of blame if he has become a big time Charlie. I hope to see my friend who told me about the training ground bust up next week to get a bit more info

Whatever the real reasons for Jose leaving (if he does leave) head up backside, greed for ££, bored, fall out with the management - whats not been mentioned is that a three year deal for him at say £80,000pw does not cost £80,000 times by 156 weeks = £12,480,00.00. First of all get your mind around that. £12.5million pounds for three years work.

No, in fact what a three year deal at that figure actually costs Southampton is £12,480,000 PLUS the £9,000,000.00 we could get by selling him today. In other words £21,480.000.00. For a good player that's true with no resale value, a player in the latter stages of his career, a player who is being a bit funny these days perhaps thinks he deserves thats and more and maybe the management/owners don't agree. Maybe the management/owners think/feel we have another VVD lined up who will cost £10-£15M and be younger and has a resale value. In that light its not personal its just business. Far from having to push to get out maybe SFC are very happy to collect a previously unexpected (up until the euro's) decent transfer fee for him. Its got an echo of SRL in it without the funniness.

Love how so many are finding a way to blame this whole scenario on Puel somehow. It's clear things have not been right with Jose since he stepped foot in Staplewood after the Euro's. No big spread from the club about our club captain winning an international tournament? No celebration of his achievements where we could lap up our role in his development as a player? There's no way we'd pass up an opportunity like that unless something went wrong somewhere, and Puel had barely stepped foot in the door at this point, but somehow it's his fault. Jesus wept.

Fonte needs to be replaced but Yoshi is doing well so not sure about the senior part. For me VVD, Yoshi, Stephens and Fonte's replacement (not necessarily in that order - depends on who the replacement is). That will still leave Gardos (if he makes a good comeback).

So if he wanted a 3 year contract, why did he sign one that ended in 18 months time??? Strewth, some of you guys seem to think that the club should bend over and take it and the whim of every player.

Where on Earth in my post that you've quoted does it say I want the club to give him what he wants? I don't and i'm not too bothered that he's going. He want's something we aren't prepared to offer.

Exactly this - no conspiracies.

He has been a rock for us and I will always hold him in high regard but all good things come to an end.

Love how so many are finding a way to blame this whole scenario on Puel somehow. It's clear things have not been right with Jose since he stepped foot in Staplewood after the Euro's. No big spread from the club about our club captain winning an international tournament? No celebration of his achievements where we could lap up our role in his development as a player? There's no way we'd pass up an opportunity like that unless something went wrong somewhere, and Puel had barely stepped foot in the door at this point, but somehow it's his fault. Jesus wept.

Very Good point. I too thought it VERY odd that we did not make a MEGA song and dance about the two lads especially our skipper winning the Euro's. I can't think why there wasn't much much more made of it given we are hardly replete with trophy winning success stories and as a club our marketing/brand/PR machine don't waste an opportunity to big up anything SFC related... apart from the obvious deduction that there was already an issue brewing between Jose and SFC that preceded Puel arriving and that this cast a shadow over his return to (late) preseason. Connected to his new agent is another inference we can reasonably make given the absence of "funniness" associated with Jose whilst he was with a different agent So THIS cannot originally be Claude's fault.

Whatever the real reasons for Jose leaving (if he does leave) head up backside, greed for ££, bored, fall out with the management - whats not been mentioned is that a three year deal for him at say £80,000pw does not cost £80,000 times by 156 weeks = £12,480,00.00. First of all get your mind around that. £12.5million pounds for three years work.

No, in fact what a three year deal at that figure actually costs Southampton is £12,480,000 PLUS the £9,000,000.00 we could get by selling him today. In other words £21,480.000.00. For a good player that's true with no resale value, a player in the latter stages of his career, a player who is being a bit funny these days perhaps thinks he deserves thats and more and maybe the management/owners don't agree. Maybe the management/owners think/feel we have another VVD lined up who will cost £10-£15M and be younger and has a resale value. In that light its not personal its just business. Far from having to push to get out maybe SFC are very happy to collect a previously unexpected (up until the euro's) decent transfer fee for him. Its got an echo of SRL in it without the funniness.

it's even worse than that. The obscene wages figures that are quoted publicly for players nowadays are *after* tax. In other words they expect the club to pay the tax for them too. (Which incidentally is what Portsmouth failed to do, hence their huge debt to HMRC )

Where on Earth in my post that you've quoted does it say I want the club to give him what he wants? I don't and i'm not too bothered that he's going. He want's something we aren't prepared to offer.

Fair enough - you didn't, but you stated that he has gone about it the right way, which he really hasn't as his recent contract extension that he signed, he should have taken that into account and insisted then that it should go until 2019.

Good player, not looked as good this year (maybe due to him being unsettled). Maybe has 1 or 2 years left at the top level, massive risk for the club to put him on 3 year deal as one of the highest paid players. Very replaceable. Thanks for the memories, but time to move on.

From me, he certainly won't get the hostility that Lallana gets, but won't be held in as high regard as Lambert.

it's even worse than that. The obscene wages figures that are quoted publicly for players nowadays are *after* tax. In other words they expect the club to pay the tax for them too. (Which incidentally is what Portsmouth failed to do, hence their huge debt to HMRC )

A

And you can add National Insurance, pension contributions and bonuses to those figures as well. I would estimate the real cost of putting Fonte on that 3 year contract at £80k pw at around £30m including the loss of that £9m in sale value.

A

And you can add National Insurance, pension contributions and bonuses to those figures as well. I would estimate the real cost of putting Fonte on that 3 year contract at £80k pw at around £30m including the loss of that £9m in sale value.

That's one of the reasons that they are paid through companies that manage their 'image rights' and other such intangibles. HMRC has been looking at ways to discourage such procedures but nothing so far.

It is understood that the clubs are close to agreeing a fee of £8million, potentially rising to £10m with add-ons.

The 33-year-old Portugal defender, who has yet to agree personal terms with the Hammers, has 18 months left on his contract but has not been offered a new deal by the Saints.

West Ham manager Slaven Bilic said today: “I like what Arsene Wenger says, ‘we are not talking about transfers, we are working on transfers’, so I am not talking about names.

Speaking after Southampton’s FA Cup replay win over Norwich City on Wednesday, manager Claude Puel admitted that Fonte was considering offers.

"I think he has some opportunities: he studies these opportunities," said Puel of Fonte. "And for Southampton it's the same. We will see if Jose leaves Southampton; we will see over the next few days."

Source: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-close-in-on-8m-jose-fonte-with-slaven-bilic-expecting-to-conclude-a-deal-in-the-next-24-a3444641.html

Edited by SuperSAINT

God, I really do feel embarrassed for Fonte. Backed himself into a corner based on promises from an agent, and ****ed himself up by doing so.

And we know this how exactly? Is this one of those things which if repeated enough on here becomes absoulte FACT forever more?

£9million for him at 33, I guess it's hard to argue against it for that money. Wish he would see out his career with us, but how likely are we going to see that ever happen with any of our players bar someone like Kelvin or maybe Steven Davis in this day and age?

If he ends up at West Ham or West Brom, for me personally that will be one of the most bemusing transfers involving Saints ever.

Nothing much makes sense any more though, least of all in football.

- Sign Fonte for £1m as a 26 year old

- Rise from League 1 to the Premier League with Fonte in the team

- Sell him to West Ham for £10m as a 33 year old

- Get 26 year old Mamadou Sakho to replace 33 year old Jose Fonte

Not bad really, if that is what happens.

- Rise from League 1 to the Premier League with Fonte in the team[/font][/color]

- Sell him to West Ham for £10m as a 33 year old[/font][/color]

- Get 26 year old Mamadou Sakho to replace 33 year old Jose Fonte [/font][/color]

If we could do that it would be like getting a 50% voucher for Sakho.

I hope he's like FM2011 Sakho too - he was awesome.

This!

He's made his bed in my opinion. If we can get sakho half price on the right wage him and Virgil would be a formidable CB pairing!

Not to do with our ambition, it's all about Jose wanting away and his form, though adequate this year, and demeanour suggest his heart is not here. If the club are talking about him going I'd be pretty sure his replacement is lined up. At 33 he's not going to improve, one more payday for him and us...goes with my thanks...one million to buy, two promotions and some great seasons later we get ten times that -what's not to like?

Yep.

If Fonte signs for either West Ham or West Brom and his deal is similar to his Saints terms (either or existing or offered) I'd love to know the reason he's left. VVD fallout as suggested on here? Has club pushed him out? Has Fonte falled out with Reed? Alot of questions we likely won't know the answer to.

Whatever it is, he needs to get over it, get his head down and crack on. Maybe Osvaldo was right ... ;)

Spot on.