Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

So after our manager went to Everton we now lose our captain to West Ham.

How or why? I don't care, it just ****es me off really. We shouldn't be losing important figures inside our club to those clubs, simple as that.

Can we stop with the "losing" way of phrasing it? We have got very good deals for both Koeman and Fonte, and indeed everyone who has left us since the Liebherr era started.

No he didn't. He handed in a transfer request, post Euros, expecting a 'big' European club to come in for him. He got backed into a corner when no offer came, and Saints decided to let him go. West Ham, or possibly West Brom, were the only escape route open to him.

this just about sums it up.

Can we stop with the "losing" way of phrasing it? We have got very good deals for both Koeman and Fonte, and indeed everyone who has left us since the Liebherr era started.

Good or bad deal is not the point and not relative. I don't care how much we got for Koeman, I dont care how much we get for Fonte.

And what's good in the first place? We don't know yet, Puel hasn't won me over and let's see how it goes without Fonte but yaaay 13 million pounds or what ever?

It says a lot that they were willing to move sideways. So you can be happy about that we got 'good' deals for them but I'm not and that's all I'm going to say about it.

Pretty embarassing for him. His big plan to go to Utd obviously didn't work out so he's had to make a sideways step. He's in the last couple of years of his career so makes sense to sell for that sort of fee. Good luck to him, but we will march on once again. Thanks for the memories Jose; enjoy all those trophies to celebrate in that fantastic football stadium.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Good or bad deal is not the point and not relative. I don't care how much we got for Koeman, I dont care how much we get for Fonte.

And what's good in the first place? We don't know yet, Puel hasn't won me over and let's see how it goes without Fonte but yaaay 13 million pounds or what ever?

It says a lot that they were willing to move sideways. So you can be happy about that we got 'good' deals for them but I'm not and that's all I'm going to say about it.

Yeah, it hasn't been great this season. With a sulking Fonte as captain.

Point is when people want to leave, they will leave. At least we aren't being taken for mugs in the deals we get.

A disappointing end to his time with us having been such a stalwart in our climb from L1, the last of the nucleus of the team that have seen us climb two divisions and into Europe.

Whether its a good deal or not will depend entirely on what Saints do next to replace him.

Will be fondly remembered for his time with us and being an integral part in our climb up the league. Shame it turned sour towards the end.

The hysteria from some is a tad weird/embarrassing
It is indeed, grown men proclaiming to be "Gutted" WTF is that all about? He was great in a saints shirt, right up until he won the Euros, then it seems he turned into a bit of a c**t, let's see how good he looks without VVD, Toby Alderweireld or Lovren next to him or Morgan, Vic or Romeu in front of him.

You can't blame Jose for wanting to get one last payday after he has found success so late in his career. He probably never expected to be as successful at the Euro's as he was, and whilst he will be well paid compared to the average man on the street, it is only natural that he tries to benefit financially from that success.

Saints were never going to offer him the length of contract he wanted at the wage he wanted, and that I agree with. Saints cannot afford to have a 35 year old, who may or may not be in the team as a regular as one of the highest earners at the club. You need to make that decision on an annual basis depending on ho the individual has performed, even Chelsea with their riches do the same with Frank Lampard, John Terry, and anyone else around the 35 year old mark.

That said, I'm sure West Ham wasn't what Jose intended when he handed in that transfer request but if they are prepared to pay him what he wants then so be it. It'll be interesting to review the 2018/19 season and see how many games he actually plays in.

Best of luck (except against us) and thanks for the memories Jose.

You can't blame Jose for wanting to get one last payday after he has found success so late in his career. He probably never expected to be as successful at the Euro's as he was, and whilst he will be well paid compared to the average man on the street, it is only natural that he tries to benefit financially from that success.

Saints were never going to offer him the length of contract he wanted at the wage he wanted, and that I agree with. Saints cannot afford to have a 35 year old, who may or may not be in the team as a regular as one of the highest earners at the club. You need to make that decision on an annual basis depending on ho the individual has performed, even Chelsea with their riches do the same with Frank Lampard, John Terry, and anyone else around the 35 year old mark.

That said, I'm sure West Ham wasn't what Jose intended when he handed in that transfer request but if they are prepared to pay him what he wants then so be it. It'll be interesting to review the 2018/19 season and see how many games he actually plays in.

Best of luck (except against us) and thanks for the memories Jose.

Saints offered him the same length of contract he has just signed and offered £70k a week. How much do you think West Ham are paying him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought we'd end up letting him go for a fraction of the price.

I doubt we'll have any sort of hero types who stay until the end of their career under this management because we seem to play the market very well and cash in. £8million is good business...presuming there's an adequate replacement in the sidelines.

It is indeed, grown men proclaiming to be "Gutted" WTF is that all about? He was great in a saints shirt, right up until he won the Euros, then it seems he turned into a bit of a c**t, let's see how good he looks without VVD, Toby Alderweireld or Lovren next to him or Morgan, Vic or Romeu in front of him.

I find it equally baffling that there doesn't seem to be anything that happens at Southampton that you care about. It really doesn't make you more of a fan.

We really have some bell ends who will literally swallow whatever the club put in the press. Short memories and gullible fans. perfect for our board.

Doesn't take much for you to p1ss your pants though pal. Did you not see this coming?

I find it equally baffling that there doesn't seem to be anything that happens at Southampton that you care about. It really doesn't make you more of a fan.
I'm a grown up, I understand that modern football is a business and the players are mercenaries who have very little loyalty to the clubs they play for. I watch football for the sport that it is whilst fully understanding of the fact that the players won't be there forever but the club will. One day you to might grasp this ideology and then my son, you will be as cool as a penguins cöck like me !

This is a very sad day. Fonte has been a Saints legend during our progress from League 1 to the Prem. There is more to this than Les Reed's bland, cold statement. Fonte has been a powerhouse for Saints, and his leadership on and off the field has been immense. So he's gone to a flawed though ambitious club. What is the atmosphere in our dressing room now? The club needs leadership and I am not seeing it.

Very worried.

Thanks Jose for all you have done for Saints. You will never be forgotten.

I'm sad he's gone, but I don't blame him. He was never going to get first team football for more than a season or two after this one, might as well do it at a club renown for paying silly wages for old players.

Great servant to the club, great captain - now to stick him on the banner and move on.

I'm a grown up, I understand that modern football is a business and the players are mercenaries who have very little loyalty to the clubs they play for. I watch football for the sport that it is whilst fully understanding of the fact that the players won't be there forever but the club will. One day you to might grasp this ideology and then my son, you will be as cool as a penguins cöck like me !

Quite. The term legend and loyal servant bandied around as if he was something special. A good player for us but no more loyal than any of the others. And a cock who drives round wanting everyone to know who he is by putting his name on his number plate.

Funny how he gets Mendes in then throws out his toys to get a move. I honestly feel like his new agent has led him up the garden path expecting Utd to come in for him, then the only reason he left for west ham was because they were the only ones that were actually interested.

It's a shame really but good luck to him. I really hope he isn't booed. It's becoming embarrassing now.

This is a very sad day. Fonte has been a Saints legend during our progress from League 1 to the Prem. There is more to this than Les Reed's bland, cold statement. Fonte has been a powerhouse for Saints, and his leadership on and off the field has been immense. So he's gone to a flawed though ambitious club. What is the atmosphere in our dressing room now? The club needs leadership and I am not seeing it.

Very worried.

Thanks Jose for all you have done for Saints. You will never be forgotten.

Agree,although we'll have to see if new leaders emerge, especially after VVD if he leaves in the summer.

At the moment though we do appear to lack leadership, on the pitch, on the touchline.We can only speculate on the boardroom.