Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

So lets go through this; standard patern.

A couple of days before the big story breaks informal club sources leak that the player in question has been a bad boy. Then its announced that they're leaving with a nice bit of PR spin. Fans turn on said player and back board and we get another ignominious end to a distinguished saints career and club servant.

We've not seen this before have we?

Very hard to believe a single thing the club say when it comes to club vs player disputes anymore. There is no smoke without fire and it's simply very unlikely that every single player that leaves saints is a bad bloke who cares nothing for the fans/club/city and only wants to shaft us for money. But then that is what the club want the fans to think.

A couple of days before the big story breaks informal club sources leak that the player in question has been a bad boy. Then its announced that they're leaving with a nice bit of PR spin. Fans turn on said player and back board and we get another ignominious end to a distinguished saints career and club servant.

Very hard to believe a single thing the club say when it comes to club vs player disputes anymore. There is no smoke without fire and it's simply very unlikely that every single player that leaves saints is a bad bloke who cares nothing for the fans/club/city and only wants to shaft us for money. But then that is what the club want the fans to think.

There are only a few turning on the player.. hth

What evidence do you have for this?

Nothing in this to support your claim

Southampton's director of football Les Reed says the player has had the chance to sign an improved deal, but Fonte has now asked to leave the club.

"He's had several opportunities to improve the contract situation. He's reserved his right not to do that," Reed told BBC Radio Solent.

"He's made it very clear he would like to explore the opportunities for a transfer.

"That's where we are at the moment, Jose wants to leave the club. He's formally asked for a transfer."

Reed went on to confirm the club have not yet received any formal bid for the player,*who joined Saints from Crystal Palace*in January 2010, and has made 288 appearances.

Fonte was linked with a move to*Manchester United*in the summer after helping his country win Euro 2016, and he wrote on Instagram last month: "Just to set the record straight I did not reject a new contract. In fact, I have been informed by Southampton that they are not offering me a new contract."

However, Reed insists new terms have been offered to the former Benfica player: "What was offered to Jose was, in my view, quite significant off the back of the contract he signed in October 2015.

"Six months later we were prepared to improve that contract and extend it. He has turned down the opportunity to increase his salary, and he's turned down the opportunity to get another permanent year on his contract."

Not sure the Club has ever said that a player has no concerns for fans/club/city but players usually do go for more money which in itself is not a bad thing as if I moved to a better job I would want more money.

But yes some posters may said that footballers playing for Southampton are doing it mostly for money if they want success they need to move away

I agree that there is a certain amount of spin by the club to try and win the fans round before any action is taken. How many other clubs directors of football do you see giving an interview about a players contract? It's a bit weird really and I get the impression that Les Reed actually has a bit of an ego and likes the attention.

However, to say that every player that's left recently has been painted in a bad light is incorrect. Clyne, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Shaw, Pelle, Lambert... Generally speaking these players all left with the best wishes of the club and fans alike. They didn't kick up a fuss about a move, didn't act like a teenage girl and start posting on social media (Morgan's little outburst aside, but he's French so we'll give him a break), and they certainly didn't force their way out the club like Lovren or Lallana did. They were offered a new contract, they turned it down, we received a decent offer for them, they left. It's when players and their agents start getting the media involved or think a good tweet will set the record straight, that's when the club react.

How naïve are you? There is no way he we walk into a top 6 team & therefore will not won win trophies.

& why did he join us from Palace - a club in a higher division at the time? ££££££

I didn't say team- he would get into ANY top 6 SQUAD- maybe he is banking on an offer from a club likelier to win a trophy than us

Someone asked me to post the comparison between Yoshi, Fonte and VVD. Couldn't find the post to quote it.

The thing with Yoshi is he has only played 450 mins this season. Which is 5 full 90 mins games. So to get a better idea of his stats I think it is fair to change the criteria to 'per 90 mins' for all three players.

So based on that we have

Yoshi - Tackles per game 1.4 - Clearances per game 4.8 - shots blocked per game 0.4 - passes blocked per game 0.2 - fouls per game 1.6 - unsuccessful touches per game 0.8

Fonte - Tackles per game 1.5 - Clearances per game 5.8 - shots blocked per game 0.6 - passes blocked per game 0.8 - fouls per game 1 - unsuccessful touches per game 0.5

VVD - Tacklers per game 2.1 - Clearances per game 6.8 - shots blocked per game 0.7 - passes blocked per game 0.5 - fouls per game 0.9 - unsuccessful touches per game 0.3

Certain posters on here have been alluding to Fonte's behaviour since the summer all low key odd posts here and there but it hasn't just started in the last couple of days.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/southampton/376/blog/post/3033098/jose-fonte-time-at-southampton-is-heading-towards-a-bitter-and-sad-end

Can't remember whether Crook is one that get's denigrated by the cognoscenti on here or not.

Hahaha I'm fairly certain that the article directly relates to some posts from here. His 'sources' appear to be anonymous posters on a public internet forum. What a joke of a journalist.

Surprised about this.

The talk of a new contract stalling seems prophetic in hindsight.

The history though...great 2-3 last years, captaincy, then contract renewal last season, pushing for the We Are Southampton song in August last year or so....to transfer request in just a few months?

Quite fast if you ask me.

I wonder whether some of these player/managers feel sentimental about Southampton. My guess is those like Poch, Alderweireld, Lambert, Shaw etc. could be like that.

Players and managers like this would happily stay at Southampton for the long term. Nice club, alright history and recent history since relegation an amazing success story, clear direction/the Saints "way", and ambitious with a good atmosphere around the place.

But we aren't a top five club, in either money terms or in achievements/size. And so managers and players who succeed here, even though they would be happy to stay, naturally move on to bigger and flashier things. And are sentimental probably about the club after they leave.

Think this is just a case of reality hitting home. Rather than wishing Fonte were like us, and that he would forsake the money and esteem of finishing 2 seasons at Utd/Liverpool, I almost wish us fans were as realistic as Fonte, in terms of knowing where Southampton sit in the grand scheme of things, and being fairly content with that.

Not always booing and typing long posts on internet when the club has lost to a better team, but giving the energy and loud support that the club and players need even more in times like this to be reminded that it's the fans who make this club, and that winning over us and have us chanting your name is worth just as much as any contract improvement or move to top six club.

Not saying I'm happy and all. I'm p issed off last few games with the losses, and with losing to the Israeli team so poorly like season before, but if you let it, every season will turn out to be an emotional rollercoaster for a club like ours, ups, downs, losses, gains, wins, outs, ins etc. As far back as I can remember it's like that. Just needs a bit of balance and perspective.

Not saying don't express it, but these tough questions need raised at meet the fans events, not on internet. Or picketing, or walkouts etc. There must be better ways of making change, if that's what is needed, than what we do every week after the games on Saintsweb. Bit out of ideas though.

I wonder whether some of these player/managers feel sentimental about Southampton. My guess is those like Poch, Alderweireld, Lambert, Shaw etc. could be like that.

Players and managers like this would happily stay at Southampton for the long term. Nice club, alright history and recent history since relegation an amazing success story, clear direction/the Saints "way", and ambitious with a good atmosphere around the place. But we aren't a top five club, in either money terms or in achievements/size. And so managers and players who succeed here, even though they would be happy to stay, naturally move on to bigger and flashier things. And are sentimental probably about the club after they leave.

Just out of curiosity: did you pick those people randomly, or has there been something in their behaviour that makes you feel like they feel differently about the club than other players and managers who left?

Lets put this all into perspective...Fonte is paid what?...about £70,000 pw to do what he absolutely loves. He earns in 1 week 3 times the average national YEARLY salary. He will retire from football somewhere in his mid to late 30's and unless he has been a complete plank he should never have to do a days hard work.

God i feel so sorry for him:x

Lets put this all into perspective...Fonte is paid what?...about £70,000 pw to do what he absolutely loves. He earns in 1 week 3 times the average national YEARLY salary. He will retire from football somewhere in his mid to late 30's and unless he has been a complete plank he should never have to do a days hard work.

God i feel so sorry for him:x

It's infuriating isn't it. I'd love to earn even what League One players are earning.

Lets be honest, Fonte hasn't been happy since coming back from the Euro's, and everyone knows it. It's a shame, but to be fair, in the same way that we were looking to unload Lambert when he started to be "Past his best", I think it's a good time for Fonte to be moving on. why does there always have to be blame? He's been great for us, as we've been great for him. Good luck to him in whatever he does. I still think we've had him at his best, and that his form will be going in one direction now. And at least it probably means VVD will be here until the summer......

Well, me actually as I was only over for three games and wanted to meet some of the players. It was hardly midnight anyways, the West Brom match was a 3 pm kickoff.

i was talking about the Spurs game which he changed the meeting to after you accounted for two of the three players :)

Someone asked me to post the comparison between Yoshi, Fonte and VVD. Couldn't find the post to quote it.

The thing with Yoshi is he has only played 450 mins this season. Which is 5 full 90 mins games. So to get a better idea of his stats I think it is fair to change the criteria to 'per 90 mins' for all three players.

So based on that we have

Yoshi - Tackles per game 1.4 - Clearances per game 4.8 - shots blocked per game 0.4 - passes blocked per game 0.2 - fouls per game 1.6 - unsuccessful touches per game 0.8

Fonte - Tackles per game 1.5 - Clearances per game 5.8 - shots blocked per game 0.6 - passes blocked per game 0.8 - fouls per game 1 - unsuccessful touches per game 0.5

VVD - Tacklers per game 2.1 - Clearances per game 6.8 - shots blocked per game 0.7 - passes blocked per game 0.5 - fouls per game 0.9 - unsuccessful touches per game 0.3

Why have you excluded European games from both Yoshi and Van Dijk?

How much do you think the average L1 player earns?

Here's the answer (much lower than I thought in all honesty);

Last season, average basic pay in the Championship was £324,250 per player per year, before appearance money and bonuses, while it was £69,500 in League One and £40,350 in League Two. In the Premier League, first-team average salaries were around £1.7million last season, rising above £2m with 'routine' bonuses

It's infuriating isn't it. I'd love to earn even what League One players are earning.

League One average salary is only about £70k, I think. Hardly stellar for a 15 year career or enough to set yourself up for life. Console yourself with the knowledge that you won't end up as some washed out has-been!

Last season, average basic pay in the Championship was £324,250 per player per year, before appearance money and bonuses, while it was £69,500 in League One and £40,350 in League Two. In the Premier League, first-team average salaries were around £1.7million last season, rising above £2m with 'routine' bonuses

Blimey, it is. Very surprised at how low pay is for League 1.

Absolutely. So many lap up the club PR it's unreal.

Yeah, all these people who claim they'd rather lose both hands than ever stop supporting the club, berate others for not being real fans, and then promptly take up against the club., despite the club not having slagged Fonte off in the slightest.

Pelle plays for Italy in the Euros and gets an absurd deal to "play" in China. Fonte hung about for some more European footy exposure, got none so it's hardly surprising he now wants to "do a Pelle".

No particular blame on either the club or the player. It's just life in this grotesque business.

I can't see why he would be that annoyed at not playing in the Europa league. Fonte gets to play against the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. Every weekend, if he can't allow Yoshi a game against a second rate Inter Milan side, he really is too big for his boots.

C'mon, he's the captain. He did (and should) want to lead his team into Europe, who wouldn't? Especially after helping to take us there all the way from League One. It's not like getting dropped for the League Cup.

I saw a figure of an average £2.4m for the Premier League (can't remenber where). It was said to be £1.5m ten years ago or so.

When you consider that it is a short career - THAT is where testimonials come in.

Bear in mind though that Fonte was never an average League 1 player. It was widely reported when we signed Lambert that we had doubled his wages at Rovers, from £5k pw to £10k pw, or £0.5m pa. Can't see Fonte being on any less when he signed.

Can see why they would be important to an average League 1 player though.

When you consider that it is a short career - THAT is where testimonials come in.

What precludes him from getting another career after hanging his boots up? The relative shortness to justify the obscene amounts they earn is an argument that I have never understood.

League One average salary is only about £70k, I think. Hardly stellar for a 15 year career or enough to set yourself up for life. Console yourself with the knowledge that you won't end up as some washed out has-been!

Not many people have a career nowadays, plenty of people have to retrain or change track before they're 40. 70k a year for 15 years then all the all the opportunities in coaching , punditry , ect puts them in a far better place than most blokes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why have you excluded European games from both Yoshi and Van Dijk?

Because its about the pl and Fonte has not played any euro games? If you want to include Yoshi's EL games these are the stats.

Yoshi EL - Tackles per game 0.7 - Clearances per game 6.2 - shots blocked per game 0.8 - passes blocked per game 0.2 - fouls per game 0.5 - unsuccessful touches per game 0.3

So less tackles overall but better blocking/clearing etc

But like I said it is a bit unfair to include the EL stats when one of them didn't even feature in it. Plus we are no longer in it. And imo we play far superior teams in the PL than the ones we had in the EL.

Because its about the pl and Fonte has not played any euro games? If you want to include Yoshi's EL games these are the stats.

Yoshi EL - Tackles per game 0.7 - Clearances per game 6.2 - shots blocked per game 0.8 - passes blocked per game 0.2 - fouls per game 0.5 - unsuccessful touches per game 0.3

So less tackles overall but better blocking/clearing etc

But like I said it is a bit unfair to include the EL stats when one of them didn't even feature in it. Plus we are no longer in it. And imo we play far superior teams in the PL than the ones we had in the EL.

Yeah, but you were complaining on lack of matches for Yoshida. Easy way to get that extra data.

Not many people have a career nowadays, plenty of people have to retrain or change track before they're 40. 70k a year for 15 years then all the all the opportunities in coaching , punditry , ect puts them in a far better place than most blokes .

Nor me. I coach a young kids side and we sometimes have MLT soccer school coaches in. Pele, the old centre back does it. He's effectively building himself a second career as a youth coach. Properly nice bloke with no pretensions. Clearly earned a lot of money compared with me but almost certainly not enough to retire with so he's just getting on, carrying on doing what he loves.

I think the exceptional players should earn enough to never have to work again but merely good players, like Fonte? Nah, not for me. I think a lot of prem players now are totally removed from reality, unsurprisingly.

We will need a new CB if he goes but there's always a younger, stronger guy out there. Let's hope the fabled club knowledge is on it.