Norwich 2 Saints 2 - Reaction

St Chalet

We have won just 3 in 15 games, performances have been absolutely horrendous, weve been dumped out of Europe, one of the lowest scorers in all leagues and our captain just asked to leave ASAP

just because you need more justification doesn't mean the rest of us are as tolerant

You see, this time last year, I was just as furious as people appear to be now. We were in a terrible run, and I was angry and demanding changes. I realised that come the summer, I was wrong not to trust the club.

I've learnt from my mistakes, and I trust the club to get things right, and people like you will be proven wrong.

On a mission to do what? Who am I a parody of?

I'll happily be critical of the club when it is justified but in the face of baseless criticism from certain morons I'll defend Puel and the club.

Hardly baseless is it? There are definite flaws in the way we are set up at the moment. Even the most optimistic must acknowledge that surely?

Harry Kewell just said we played some wonderful football but we just need that striker up front to take to the chances. We need to find a gem of a striker big time and have done for a long while.

I think we all agree on this. Except possibly Reed and Puel.

Anyway, the good news is we got 2 goals today, so hopefully this will kickstart our strikers' season and boost their confidence.

Oh, wait ...

Hardly baseless is it? There are definite flaws in the way we are set up at the moment. Even the most optimistic must acknowledge that surely?

Les Reed summed it up by saying that Puel has not had any time to properly work on the training ground with the players, given the quick turnaround between matches.

There must be a legitimate reason why the club is so convinced of Puel's qualities, so he deserves time.

If in the future it obviously isn't working, then fine. But let's wait and see rather than kick out a manager after barely any time. Do we really want to end up like Hull or Swansea who sack their manager after 10-15 games? That's really working out for them...

Well from I can make out tonight is this board is nicely split in half with the fans they went saying Saints actually played OK & were only let down by 2 defensive errors ..... whilst the others sat at home, did not actually see the game & still wet the bed!!

Two defensive errors and yet again a changed defence?

(No, I didn't go)

Having just seen the goals, it would appear Rom was at the fault for their second. Maya instructs him to mark Naismith, and instead he decides to mark nothing. Perhaps Maya should have marked Naismith. Perhaps VVD shouldn't have been out of position. C'est la vie.

Fed up of reading the lame excuse on here of our relative position at the same time last season.

We put in a run in the 2nd half of last season that only Leicester beat. We had the players to do it. No way is this going to happen this year. We arent even going to reinforce in January.

The club has been completely overrun by complacency and delusion. I really wonder what Lord Duckhunter and Pampelmousse have been sniffing...

I would be satisifed with 8th. This accounts for Liverpool and Chelsea being ahead of us, and one freak performance to replace Leicester. Anything less than 8th is a clear sign the club is moving backwards.

Fed up of reading the lame excuse on here of our relative position at the same time last season.

We put in a run in the 2nd half of last season that only Leicester beat. We had the players to do it. No way is this going to happen this year. We arent even going to reinforce in January.

The club has been completely overrun by complacency and delusion. I really wonder what Lord Duckhunter and Pampelmousse have been sniffing...

I would be satisifed with 8th. This accounts for Liverpool and Chelsea being ahead of us, and one freak performance to replace Leicester. Anything less than 8th is a clear sign the club is moving backwards.

What if we finish 9th/10th and get a Wembley day out as well?

You embody perfectly the short termism that so many of our so-called "fans" and so many clubs have. Not many of them succeed, and I'm glad the club is thinking long term.

I wonder if Chelsea or Liverpool fans thought the club was going backwards when the club finished below their initial expectations?

Busy and neat - happy to see him in our starting line up. Seems to have lost the tendency to commit early in the tackle and linked really well...notable that Virgil talked to him constantly.

Thanks Dronski.....You are probably in the land of nod now, but if you get the chance tomorrow how about a run down of Sim's game too.

Thanks Dronski.....You are probably in the land of nod now, but if you get the chance tomorrow how about a run down of Sim's game too.

Sims was average, didn't really do much in the first half, looked more lively in the second but should have connected from a great cross to make it 3-1 just before the Tadic effort was tipped over.

Is there any scenario in your world where the manager can be at fault?

Have never said he is not at fault and obviously is on lots of occasions but not for everything as is portrayed on here

by pointing out that he was not a fault because a player was not tracking/marking/challenging Naismith

Great day out at friendly Norwich! Saints dominated and drew. That's how it is at the moment.

Well done Puel! Lewis debut in goal. Reed in midfield. Jack at right back. Sims right wing.

I have to say JWP looks like a footballer now. Fantastic condition and he's ready now to reach his potential.

It's not Puel's fault we aren't celebrating a victory. It's shameful that Long misses so many chances and really doesn't seem to get angry at himself. Yoshida has seriously improved his distribution and defensively looks strong.

The kids made mistakes that cost us the game today. Lewis with a bad first touch, but for me what was more frustrating was Sims moments earlier being offside when looking along the line when it was 3 v 1 on the counter attack and then getting a yellow for shooting into the crowd.

Reed played well, but gives away free kicks outside the box by tackling from behind, instead of getting in front of the ball. He needs to learn position.

Did we look better with the senior player coming on at the end? No.

Romeo in my opinion cost us the goal by not tracking and leaving the player free in the box, but another game to develop our youngster is excellent news.

Mr Puel I question how high our full backs are pushing. Surely you don't need to wide forwards when they push so high.

Please try playing Jay Rod and Long up front with Redmond or Tadic playing No. 10. Try it for me with high full backs and see what happens. You never know it might work!

Back home...nice and local for me for a change.

Those who have said we played badly are wrong...we played neat, controlled football for most of the game and scored two excellent goals and were denied more by good goalkeeping and good defending. We were undone by a couple of errors...Harry Lewis can be excused to a degree but you've got to say that Virgil was probably the one responsible for marking Naismith...not sure how tactics can be blamed for the costliness of these. We should have won, we were by far the best team and will probably win the replay but the hysterical cr*p being spouted by the usual suspects on here is just just that...hysterical cr*p. We'll come through this bad patch like we've come through many before. Bring on Liverpool!

Officials were awful...reminded me of our L1 days!

Thanks for these two posts at least we have some sensible non hysterical write ups of the game, the seem to be accurate and close to descriptions from radio commentary

Thanks for these two posts at least we have some sensible non hysterical write ups of the game, the seem to be accurate and close to descriptions from radio commentary

I was there as well and agree with these two summaries of the game. I was very impressed with Read but he did cost us a few free kicks. The subs did something to the game as we certainly improved and the second goal came quite quickly. Oriol over had a touch more Gile than read but I see Read as future star. We should have killed the game off but..

I was hoping to see the old Shane Long of old but it seems a long time coming.

On a mission to do what? Who am I a parody of?

I'll happily be critical of the club when it is justified but in the face of baseless criticism from certain morons I'll defend Puel and the club.

Cannot agree more with this sentiment. Pointless blaming Puel for defensive errors and personal player mistakes. As soon as we turn this bad run around we'll be flying. All the pieces are there, just need to fall into place.

Having just seen the goals, it would appear Rom was at the fault for their second. Maya instructs him to mark Naismith, and instead he decides to mark nothing. Perhaps Maya should have marked Naismith. Perhaps VVD shouldn't have been out of position. C'est la vie.

Typical of Rom. Ball watching or jumping into challenges without thinking, especially in dangerous areas. If he could cut these parts out of his game he could be a world class player.

Well first and foremost we are still in the cup and that is always a good thing, cannot ever understand fans that wish us to exit out of competitions.

Secondly our midfield needs a box to box player but I think we all know that. We're 1 player short of a decent midfield IMO.

Thirdly how about trying VVD up front for a game? He has a good eye for goal, just look at yesterday, and couldn't do any worse than our current strikers. It's been done before, Chris Sutton and Paul Warhurst spring to mind.

Fourth what's with the cup in Norfolk? Don't they like the competition up there?

So 10th and you'll shut up banging on about Puel?

If we are 10th at the end of the season then yes. I'll still remain disappointed in our style of play if we continue to retain possession for the sake of it and don't score too many goals but I would stop 'banging on' about him.

If we finish 15th will you finally admit he's not the man?

Les Reed summed it up by saying that Puel has not had any time to properly work on the training ground with the players, given the quick turnaround between matches.

There must be a legitimate reason why the club is so convinced of Puel's qualities, so he deserves time.

If in the future it obviously isn't working, then fine. But let's wait and see rather than kick out a manager after barely any time. Do we really want to end up like Hull or Swansea who sack their manager after 10-15 games? That's really working out for them...

That's a fair point but how long would you wait before you decide enough is enough? For every Swansea and Hull managerial change there is one which actually works (Poch for us, Big Sam for Sunderland etc.) so I wouldn't necessarily cast a mid season change of manager as always being a bad thing although I do appreciate your point.

Sims was average, didn't really do much in the first half, looked more lively in the second but should have connected from a great cross to make it 3-1 just before the Tadic effort was tipped over.

Thank you FTF - first Saints game this season I haven't seen (TV). I've been very impressed by Sims but I appreciate your assessment of yesterdays performance. I think he has the goods to make a name for himself just the same; Reed too.

We have won just 3 in 15 games, performances have been absolutely horrendous, weve been dumped out of Europe, one of the lowest scorers in all leagues and our captain just asked to leave ASAP

just because you need more justification doesn't mean the rest of us are as tolerant

Trolling at 11:23 on a Saturday night? Wow, I admire your commitment. Seriously, I mean truly seriously, you need to get a life.

Typical of Rom. Ball watching or jumping into challenges without thinking, especially in dangerous areas. If he could cut these parts out of his game he could be a world class player.

There's a very good photo accompanying the Guardian match report: Yoshida looking accusingly at Romeu and the latter appearing a bit distraught..

I suppose at some stage some people will wake up and realize we are not heading in he right direction.

Our squad is not strong enough and if we don't strengthen it we will struggle.

People sleep in till different times, we have seen this with the Puel out polls.

Some have an unconditional love for Reed and have afforded him a license to thrill (in his own way) from here on in, even if we returned to the championship they would back him. I do admire the loyality of some, but for me balance is required

Praise him for the work he's done but dont be afraid to question things once you see a very very clear change in direction.

I suppose at some stage some people will wake up and realize we are not heading in he right direction.

Our squad is not strong enough and if we don't strengthen it we will struggle.

I don't think anyone doubts our squad is weaker than it was last season.

The question is whether to indulge in portentous self-important doom-mongering and finger-pointing or crack on, support the team, keep an eye on the longer term and enjoy supporting one of the top dozen or so teams in the country.

I would be happy to stay in the Premier League at this rate.

Puel's decision to play a young keeper ultimately did for us yesterday.

There's a rot in our club that needs drastic action.

An owner that's not really bothered despite her father's legacy, a Boardroom becoming increasingly disengaged and who's luck ran out over their model of player sales last summer - which coincided with their appointment of a poor manager. A team who's finest players will increasingly want out and will remain irreplaceable. We risk doing a Swansea.

Either KL sells up quickly, without cashing in on player sales beforehand. (Some hope), then we get a manager in the summer.

Or, we find a new manager quickly- if the latter is accompanied by keeping all of our talent in Jan in order to regain our team morale and confidence. Then we stand a chance of stopping the rot fast.

For me - it's time to sack the manager & stop player sales.

Neither options look likely.

And I have no idea who to replace Puel with. You shouldn't replace a manager unless you have a better one ready to go.

So it's looking like an impasse. But bottom line either way is NO PLAYER SALES IN JANUARY.

Only our good will go. With a track record of lack of reinvestment of player sales money, only KL benefit in the short term.

Puel has a worse toolbox, morale decreases, fan patience will fall. Tough calls in what is fast becoming the biggest crisis of the Liebherr era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puel's decision to play a young keeper ultimately did for us yesterday.

There's a rot in our club that needs drastic action.

An owner that's not really bothered despite her father's legacy, a Boardroom becoming increasingly disengaged and who's luck ran out over their model of player sales last summer - which coincided with their appointment of a poor manager. A team who's finest players will increasingly want out and will remain irreplaceable. We risk doing a Swansea.

Either KL sells up quickly, without cashing in on player sales beforehand. (Some hope), then we get a manager in the summer.

Or, we find a new manager quickly- if the latter is accompanied by keeping all of our talent in Jan in order to regain our team morale and confidence. Then we stand a chance of stopping the rot fast.

For me - it's time to sack the manager & stop player sales.

Neither options look likely.

And I have no idea who to replace Puel with. You shouldn't replace a manager unless you have a better one ready to go.

So it's looking like an impasse. But bottom line either way is NO PLAYER SALES IN JANUARY.

Only our good will go. With a track record of lack of reinvestment of player sales money, only KL benefit in the short term.

Puel has a worse toolbox, morale decreases, fan patience will fall. Tough calls in what is fast becoming the biggest crisis of the Liebherr era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Post,Rob.

If we finish between 8th and 10th this season then I'll be happy enough. Yes, we are 10th at the moment but we are also 4 points off 15th so I'd argue that any justification of Puel's performance by reference to league position is, at the moment, a false indicator as the league is so tight that we could move 4-5 places on the back of one result.

Also it's hardly "subjective pony" is it? We've scored 19 goals in 20 games. I'll ask you, do you go every week? If so, do you enjoy what you are watching?

I'd also be happy with 9th as well. But only 9th mind.

People sleep in till different times, we have seen this with the Puel out polls.

Some have an unconditional love for Reed and have afforded him a license to thrill (in his own way) from here on in, even if we returned to the championship they would back him. I do admire the loyality of some, but for me balance is required

Praise him for the work he's done but dont be afraid to question things once you see a very very clear change in direction.

9.2/10.

Written like a statesman.

Selling the club could well be worse than present situation . There are are few buyers that have the club in their hearts , they see it as an opportunity for themselves or their governments. Man C are a public relations stunt now , Chinese investors are , like Russian investors, are trying to export their wealth while pleasing their rulers at home. There are numerous examples of dodgy investors in clubs like Chelsea , Leeds , Cardiff etc.

That's a fair point but how long would you wait before you decide enough is enough? For every Swansea and Hull managerial change there is one which actually works (Poch for us, Big Sam for Sunderland etc.) so I wouldn't necessarily cast a mid season change of manager as always being a bad thing although I do appreciate your point.

How long is long enough? I'd say the full season at least (and maybe even a whole pre season period with no tournaments and minimal disruption) and if, having had that whole period, it becomes obvious that we are not progressing and that it isn't working out then change.

Managerial changes midway through the season can work if you clearly know who you want to come in immediately. I'm not sure that our managerial type would be available at this point in the season.

Went to the game. Rather frustrated at how we threw the game away from comfortable positions twice. Team has a real tendency to go into their shell rather than going for oppositions throat.

Lewis doesn't look quite ready, soime nice saves but some awful decision making. Also i really didn't get why we started with Tadic through the centre and long out wide.

Still feel we are rather ponderous going forward and if we're going to really on working the ball wide and crossing it, then we need a real target man quickly.

At least we are still in the competition, got a home replay and we'll have quite a few reasonably fresh players to have a right good crack at Liverpool.

Is that not your default position whatever time of year or at least until we hit 40 points?

I relax once we reach 40 points. That is the only objective that matters to me every year. If we stayed up for the next 30 years on 40 points I would be happy. Even if we got knocked out of the Cups every first round and finished between 17th and 15th.

Cannot agree more with this sentiment. Pointless blaming Puel for defensive errors and personal player mistakes. As soon as we turn this bad run around we'll be flying. All the pieces are there, just need to fall into place.

Apart from a striker who can put the ball in the back of the net.

Unsettled back four, innit.

In your effort to blame Puel for everything you seem to be criticising the decision to recall the previously suspended Virgil and the previous ill Bertrand. Do you think you may be losing a bit of balance in all of this?

In your effort to blame Puel for everything you seem to be criticising the decision to recall the previously suspended Virgil and the previous ill Bertrand. Do you think you may be losing a bit of balance in all of this?

What's this illness that Bertrand has?

That's one game. How about the rest of the season?

Went to the game. Rather frustrated at how we threw the game away from comfortable positions twice. Team has a real tendency to go into their shell rather than going for oppositions throat.

Lewis doesn't look quite ready, soime nice saves but some awful decision making. Also i really didn't get why we started with Tadic through the centre and long out wide.

Still feel we are rather ponderous going forward and if we're going to really on working the ball wide and crossing it, then we need a real target man quickly.

At least we are still in the competition, got a home replay and we'll have quite a few reasonably fresh players to have a right good crack at Liverpool.

Have to agree with some of this. One of our fundamental issues is not closing down and lack of pressing. We don't close down to prevent crosses and often shots. Particularly when we score we retreat almost into the stands !

It really has been bizarre and not addressed by errrr coaches.

I know Plymouth managed this at Liverpool but this was against their youth team and any team can succeed at this risky tactic in the odd occasion but it's an even more suspect tactic with our dodgy goalie and mistake prone defence.

We must play a higher line. If we stand back and admire Liverpool we will be in Queer Street very quickly....

Why haven't Management seen this and addressed it - have they worryingly even grasped its happening???

I know we have a few average players and all that but tactically we really must get a grip....

Our defensive five are not good enough to employ the current tactic. I'm not even sure any team can afford to employ the stand on your own goal line strategy.....

I'm afraid if Puel does get the instructions wrong against Liverpool then he can only blame himself for the pressure which will come upon him.

It's change for change sake that is wrong. The fundamental principle is to play your strongest team at all times taking into account injuries and suspensions.

I'm blaming Puel for the excessive rotation which means we always play an unsettled side. The overly cautious approach only makes matters worse.

Three games in six days was indeed appalling scheduling and Puel was right to blame this as a cause for all three defeats. Yet why did the club not complain and demand that this be rearranged beforehand? Chelsea did and had three games in eight days.

I relax once we reach 40 points. That is the only objective that matters to me every year. If we stayed up for the next 30 years on 40 points I would be happy. Even if we got knocked out of the Cups every first round and finished between 17th and 15th.

40 points may not be enough.