Liverpool EFL Cup Semi First Leg Buildup

St Chalet

It's hard to imagine us suddenly playing much better than we have done all season just for this game. Obviously (some fans) hope we do the very unlikely and win but on form you would have to say 0-3

'Hard to say' means 'nigh on impossible' in any sane persons book. Football is a funny old game as Mastermind winners like Shearer like keeping to remind us and some of our more fantastic fans would rather hear what they want to hear than accept our current reality. Without Jose, I'd settle for 0-3.

I'd sooner they won 3-0, than us. That would be v.terrible. I can picture it all, the build up to the second leg I mean. It'll be all geared up for Another Famous Night at AnfieldTM, as the Scouse Heroes vanquish the forces of Evil, in the biggest cum-back since Lovren's wife taught her lumberjack the withdrawal method. Everyone will be on board with this narrative, the media, the pundits, the referee. Especially the referee. It'll be as inevitable as it is vomit-inducing. I wouldn't wish for it, honest I wouldn't. Better to meekly surrender now. A nice little 2-0, something like that.

I mean, unless we can actually get through to the final, of course, but I've played the tie 15 times in my head, and it hasn't happened once.

Welcome back mr bear

Hi bj! Nice to be remembered, it's been 18 months since I was like, fk this, I ain't posting anymore till Jose Fonte is out of my club. Time flies, ain't it! Things have changed a lot on here srs. I was expecting the same old shit by the same old posters, but it's not, I'm finding the same old shit by some new posters too.

If you're back on this forum I'm definitely going to defect to Bletchweb.

This time I really mean it.

Setting up my fake email address as we speak. The next new member of Bletchweb will be me.

With my psychobabble hat on, could it be argued that it would be better to go into the 2nd leg a goal down rather than a goal up?

If we go into the 2nd leg a goal up, I assume Puel will be tempted to set up the team to protect the lead rather than extend it (and we all know how that will end up...), whereas, if we go into the game a goal down we'll have no choice but to set ourselves up to attack.

Hmm, on reflection, I probably ought to be locked up for thinking out loud and spouting such nonsense... :)

Maybe, but I'd rather go into the second leg one goal up than 2-0 up. Everyone knows that's the most dangerous lead.

I keep playing the game in my head over and over, very best we could hope for, sturrige doesn't start, neither does origi, karius has a biblical mare yet we only win 2-1 b/c of a Forster moment of incompetence. Second leg we set up to defend as per usual, we concede 2 first half goals and 1 more 2nd half goal. Ft 3-0 (4-2 agg.) Sorry but I just can't picture anyone in our team having a storming couple of games and get us through this tie. In the past you'd say maybe mane/pelle/even tadic(in last years form) might win it for us. I mean Thierry Redmond?, the currently useless tadic?, j rod? Vvd has more chance of winning it for us than the rest of em. Suffice it to say, not as excited as I should be. Purely b/c i don't think we've got a snowballs chance.

What a bizarre thread. Seems to be full of infighting, preferences to lose and the most negative predictions I've seen. And a bear comes out of hibernation in the middle of it. But anyway at least I'll talk about the game

It is only my 4th semi final in 40 odd years so an occasion to look forward to. Hence taking a half day holiday, driving 600 miles and won't get home till 3am! I've seen plenty of games this season and by god we have been poor in many of them but I'm still hopeful.

I reckon we will sneak it 1-0 with Liverpool dominating but missing plenty of chances and an inspired MoM performance by Yoshida. Still not decided what our best line up is but I would go with

Forster

Stephens, VVD, Yoshida, Bertrand

Romeu, Davis, Hojberg

Redmond, Rodrigues, Tadic

KTF

Excellent the sooner you are gone the better. Don't forget to take the king of wit and wisdom, the self proclaimed intelligentsia, Whelk, with you. Welcome back Bearsy.

You don't like it that they find it so easy to make you look like a tw_at. Although, TBF, it's not hard.

I love the way they rip the bullsh_it apart. Long may it continue.

What a bizarre thread. Seems to be full of infighting, preferences to lose and the most negative predictions I've seen. And a bear comes out of hibernation in the middle of it. But anyway at least I'll talk about the game

It is only my 4th semi final in 40 odd years so an occasion to look forward to. Hence taking a half day holiday, driving 600 miles and won't get home till 3am! I've seen plenty of games this season and by god we have been poor in many of them but I'm still hopeful.

I reckon we will sneak it 1-0 with Liverpool dominating but missing plenty of chances and an inspired MoM performance by Yoshida. Still not decided what our best line up is but I would go with

Forster

Romeu, Davis, Hojberg

KTF

Cedric for Stephens and Clasie for Hojberg I think it will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forster

Romeu, Davis, Hojberg

KTF

This. I genuinely can't name our best team (especially the shuttle midfielders who are all pretty average at the moment). Despite the front three you suggest being our best available I genuinely can't see us scoring from open play. Set piece will be our best hope.

Would be tempted to try McQueen wide left, has a better end product than Redmond IMO.

You don't like it that they find it so easy to make you look like a tw_at. Although, TBF, it's not hard.

I love the way they rip the bullsh_it apart. Long may it continue.

Not a problem at all, they show themselves to be tw_ats (as opposed to making someone look like) far more often as most sensible people on here recognise.

I'm disappointed Fonte is not playing, he's still our player and he's better than Yoshida so should ****ing well do what he's paid to do and play.

Hard to see anything other than a easy Liverpool win, we can't score for toffee and should have got a new sticker in by now if our board had any ambition. Can't see a defence with Yoshida in keeping Liverpoolout either.

I think our best hope is a dour nil nil tomorrow and try and fluke a goal at Anfield and go through on away goals. Much will depend on what side Liverpool put out.

feels strange going into a semi final with so much negativity surrounding the team at the moment, but despite that I am genuinely excited. I'm hoping for some sort of Barry Horne last minute screamer type thing to occur over the course of the two legs and not an Andy Riche moment.

I'm disappointed Fonte is not playing, he's still our player and he's better than Yoshida so should ****ing well do what he's paid to do and play.

Hard to see anything other than a easy Liverpool win, we can't score for toffee and should have got a new sticker in by now if our board had any ambition. Can't see a defence with Yoshida in keeping Liverpoolout either.

I think our best hope is a dour nil nil tomorrow and try and fluke a goal at Anfield and go through on away goals. Much will depend on what side Liverpool put out.

Bloody hell I wish people actually watch Yoshida and note for themselves what he actually does well and not run round the playground like bloody sheep picking on the kid who looks different, equaliser on Saturday Yoshida is minding his defensive side of the box so Norwich don't do a Virgil in the first half from the corner, Virgil had gone walk about in his side of the box not watching behind him or even worse to his right Yoshida had his men covered, but because he spotted Naismith in space un guarded by anyone, moves towards him......... And The numpties are falling over themselves to blame him and not the perfect VVD who had spotted a butterfly over on the other side of the box.

........... Just like the clowns who sing for Tadic to come on, then when he does, he does chuff all except wave to the now very happy souls who sang his song........ Who think he is bloody wonderful because he waved at them.

........ I knew backing off the sauce after Christmas was going to be a bad thing!!!!!! Grrrrrr!!!

Excellent the sooner you are gone the better. Don't forget to take the king of wit and wisdom, the self proclaimed intelligentsia, Whelk, with you. Welcome back Bearsy.

Quite sweet but I don't even know who you are. So many friends on it here it is hard to keep up.

feels strange going into a semi final with so much negativity surrounding the team at the moment, but despite that I am genuinely excited. I'm hoping for some sort of Barry Horne last minute screamer type thing to occur over the course of the two legs and not an Andy Riche moment.

It's just come at the wrong time our last few poor results not to mention Liverpool's annoyingly good form just make it hard to be optimistic. It also feels like everyone has decided our whole season now rests on this semi-final which just adds more pressure.

I was at the Dell in 1987 for the last LC semi-final, also against Liverpool. I remember a 0-0 draw at home (did a Liverpool player get sent off?). We then held them 0-0 at half-time in the second leg, before losing 3-0. They were a bit good then.

Not optimistic at all for tomorrow. We might get away with another 0-0

I was at the Dell in 1987 for the last LC semi-final, also against Liverpool. I remember a 0-0 draw at home (did a Liverpool player get sent off?). We then held them 0-0 at half-time in the second leg, before losing 3-0. They were a bit good then.

Not optimistic at all for tomorrow. We might get away with another 0-0

Paul Walsh I think. Something happened with Kevin Bond if I remember correctly , though games blur into one another over the years .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And leave you lot unchallenged to spread your anti-club bs ?

There would be a LES ASSASSINATED JFK !!! thread within days

If we stay lucid, well organised, with stability, a good discipline and we don't think about the markado the we could give a good answer. It's a good opportunity and a good possibility. We must twy. Attitude, quality, defensive organisation very important. We need to do more we'd the ball. We will find a good answer. We look forward. Positive support very important.

If we stay lucid, well organised, with stability, a good discipline and we don't think about the markado the we could give a good answer. It's a good opportunity and a good possibility. We must twy. Attitude, quality, defensive organisation very important. We need to do more we'd the ball. We will find a good answer. We look forward. Positive support very important.

Les motes juste, mon ami -

Allez Les Saints

Some of the comments on here are pathetic, negative and downright pessimistic. Give up being a supporter if you can't get excited about your team in a semi final of a major cup competition. It was only a few years ago that 50000 +went to Wembley for a tin pot trophy. For most seasons we've been underdogs, but we've also toppled the top teams. If we lose, we do...but a win tonight will be rather fun. I am excited to see a Saints team go for it big time, put Liverpool under pressure and get a great result. Certainly the players will give their all tonight.

Get behind the team and allow the flame of hope to rise in your hearts. Dream!

Some of the comments on here are pathetic, negative and downright pessimistic. Give up being a supporter if you can't get excited about your team in a semi final of a major cup competition. It was only a few years ago that 50000 +went to Wembley for a tin pot trophy. For most seasons we've been underdogs, but we've also toppled the top teams. If we lose, we do...but a win tonight will be rather fun. I am excited to see a Saints team go for it big time, put Liverpool under pressure and get a great result. Certainly the players will give their all tonight.

Get behind the team and allow the flame of hope to rise in your hearts. Dream!

Are you new? This is the norm. There will be plenty tonight getting hard ons hoping for a poor performance. Most won't be at the game either. More interested in posting their sh1te and being smug than truly hoping for a positive result. Oh and some will of course begin or end with 'I'm hope I'm wrong'

Are you new? This is the norm. There will be plenty tonight getting hard ons hoping for a poor performance. Most won't be at the game either. More interested in posting their sh1te and being smug than truly hoping for a positive result. Oh and some will of course begin or end with 'I'm hope I'm wrong'

No no no they love saints they only get upset because they care so much....

....Having said that I'm as pessimistic as **** about tonight...

I haven't seen if this has already been posted but probably worth a bump...

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/15011165.Emotional_tribute_to_be_paid_to__wonderful__20_year_old_Saints_fan_who_died_suddenly/?ref=mmsp

I don't know anyone involved but (whether you agree with this sort of thing or not) this is something planned for tonight and deserves respect.

I think the tactics will be to keep things tight, get a draw and Puel will think we can sneak a 1-0 at Anfield.

I just cannot see us going for it in the way the other teams who have upset Liverpool have done.

Hope I'm wrong of course.

I suspect he will be encouraged by the 0-0 we got against them in November and will want a repeat, with a hope we snatch one on the break.

Agree though this is very risky and other teams have proven the best way to defend against Liverpool this season is ATTACK

Can't see us winning this over two legs. Had it been just one leg (which it should be) then we'd have had a chance. Playing the first leg at home isn't ideal either. Fingers crossed we pull out an Arsenal performance but we are in a really bad run atm, so i'm not very optimistic.