How Many Semi Finals Have You Been To With Saints

Gemmel

This will be my 3rd (or 4th if you include the JPT).

Not much of a return for 40 years of support, so I am a little bit bemused with myself, that I am not climbing the walls with anticipation and that tonight is just something that will happen after work.

Anyone else feel like this?

Seems really strange, but can't explain why.

I'd suggest it's because there is already an air of defeat about the game. We're arguably playing the in form PL team at the moment and we've just lost 3 league games in a row and drawn with Norwich in the FA cup. Our most exciting player is injured, our second most exciting player is well off pace, our captain wants out so isn't playing, our keeper is in the worst form of his career, and our strikers aren't scoring.

Despite all that I can't wait for the game this evening! I didn't think we'd get anything away at Arsenal but look how that turned out. There's always a chance and we've pulled bigger wins out of the bag before :) This is a huge game for us and I hope everyone fully gets behind the team tonight.

Just the JPT second leg and the Watford semi at Villa Park. I don't recall any others that I could have gone to.

I think it's natural to be less up for a match when the team is in a poor run of form. Also, it's not exactly a semi-final tonight, more half of a semi-final, and it feels like the less important half because we know that no matter what happens tonight, it can potentially be undone next week. I personally would feel doubly excited about tonight if it was a one-off match or if it was the second leg after something like a 1-1 in the first leg.

I'd suggest it's because there is already an air of defeat about the game. We're arguably playing the in form PL team at the moment and we've just lost 3 league games in a row and drawn with Norwich in the FA cup. Our most exciting player is injured, our second most exciting player is well off pace, our captain wants out so isn't playing, our keeper is in the worst form of his career, and our strikers aren't scoring.

Despite all that I can't wait for the game this evening! I didn't think we'd get anything away at Arsenal but look how that turned out. There's always a chance and we've pulled bigger wins out of the bag before :) This is a huge game for us and I hope everyone fully gets behind the team tonight.

Good god man did you have to put it down on paper! :scared:

I'm off to buy some razor blades...x(

Not much of a return for 40 years of support, so I am a little bit bemused with myself, that I am not climbing the walls with anticipation and that tonight is just something that will happen after work.

Probably due to to you reading the endless sh ite on here.

Fifth semi-final for me tonight, but three of them were in the eighties. Still haunted by Adrian Heath's goal at Highbury in 1984. But two semi-final appearances in major cup competitions in the past 25 years is not a great return (don't count JPT, fun as it was)

Yes its how I feel too.

FA Cup

League Cup

I think this is my first but I might be overlooking one from the eighties against Oldham but that may have been a quarter final., There are two Barry Horne's screamer and the one that Milford added the time on until they scored. I should really look them up, might not even been league cup !There might have been one against someone else.

ZDS

Pretty sure I would have gone to this but cant remember !

JPT

Went to the home leg of the semi.Although I missed the final as we already had booked a family holiday to The States !

I actually did the 1963 v Man Utd at Villa Park.

Went up on one of the many special trains from Central Station and, for some reason, was stood in a small group of Saints fans in the away end (main body of Saints fans were in the Holte End). In those days you could wear your colours (I had a home made blue and yellow rosette) without problems.

Have been to every semi final games since apart from Leeds and MK Dons away and although getting a ticket for the Liverpool FA Cup game at WHL, had to miss out through illness.

This is the 8th (major) semi final that I have been to and in my lifetime, starting in 63. There were 4 in the 70's and 80's but typically you have to wait about 13 years for one to come around so make the most of it. I have no great expectations that I will see another one. So far we have won only 3 of them (Palace, Leeds and Watford) but they were all great moments in my football watching life, no my life so trust me it will be amazing if we do win.

I've only been to one - 2003 FA Cup semi-final at Villa Park.

For some weird reason I feel quite optimistic about tonight. Forget about all the transfer talk and poor form in the league; I think we might surprise a few people. With the way the league is this year, it does make me wonder how much of an eye the players have subconsciously been thinking about the semi-final.

This is our best chance to win a major trophy for nearly 15 years (JPT aside!) and hopefully the fans will be right behind the team throughout the game.

i agree to some extent, but when you refer to them as one of the form teams a couple of their recent away results in the league are; Sunderland 2-2 Liverpool, Bournemouth 4-3 Liverpool.

we need to build an underdog spirit within our fans and really be up for this, i wouldn't want to be in the trenches with some of you lot with the "what's the point we're going to lose anyway attitude".

I still find it amazing that we haven't sold out , but if the attitude of fans on here is reflective of the general fan base i shouldn't be surprised really.

A post I made of a similar vein on the Aussie Saints FB page:

'So..there's the small matter of a Cup Semi Final tomorrow. From what we've observed the general mood appears to be a downtrodden one, as if the result has already been decided.

This seems a little odd from our perspective, when at the end of the day only one opponent stands in our way to a return to Wembley. These are the days we were dreaming of back in the depths of the Championship and League One. We had a taste in the JPT but this would mean so much more to a proud club, with an admittedly sparse trophy cabinet.

To hear that this match isn't sold out yet is somewhat baffling. I would personally love the opportunity to be there later today. This should be 90 minutes of a loud and proud atmosphere at St Mary's - including a special tribute in the 20th minute for a young Saints fan taken too soon.

TO THE FANS HEADING TO ST MARY'S, please leave the negativity at home for at least one match. Claude Puel has managed to do what Koeman and Pochettino couldn't - get us into a major cup SF. For that alone he deserves his chance to take us one step further.

A positive result may look unlikely, but at the end of the day this is Southampton. Anything can happen. Please put the white flag down, chuck on the red and white stripes and get behind the lads for these 90 minutes.

COYRs!!

#QueSeraSera'

79 Leeds at home - it was my first Saints game. My Dad's mate was running the line that evening and he'd promised my Dad complimentary tickets. We hung around waiting outside the ticket office at the Dell and it was pretty close to kick off before my Dad's mate came running out, fully dressed in lino kit into the car park and handed over the 2 tickets!! Both long gone now, unfortunately, so I'll be having a quiet moment before kick off tonight thinking about that evening I expect, before getting behind the team!

Liverpool (home) League cup

Chelsea (home) ZDS

Watford FA cup

MK Dons JPT

pretty short change really for the 30 odd years i've been going.

That said, and despite the fact i think we'll probably lose tonight, i can't help but have that childlike excitement about a game like this. Semi finals of cups are EXACTLY the thing that should get you up for it, and even though my head says it's going to be painful i'm still going to go to both legs and sing my heart out.

Saints’ 14 FA Cup & League Cup Semi-finals

2017 League Cup v Liverpool

2003 FA Cup v Watford W

1987 League Cup v Liverpool L

1986 FA Cup v Liverpool L

1984 FA Cup v Everton L

1979 League Cup v Leeds W

1976 FA Cup v C. Palace W

1963 FA Cup v Man. Utd L.

1927 FA Cup v Arsenal L

1925 FA Cup v Sheff. Utd. L

1908 FA Cup v Wolves L

1902 FA Cup v Nott. Forest W

1900 FA Cup v Millwall W

1898 FA Cup v Nott. Forest L

We’ve been in twice as many major semi-finals as Pompey, which does make the number of trophies they’ve won a bit galling. But, on the other hand, the fact we’ve got twice as many fans as them, in spite of all the disappointments, speaks volumes for the loyalty of our fans.

This will be our 14th major semi-final and my 4th.

This will be 14th I've attended

Ones prevosly attended

FA Cup

1976 -Palace

1984 -Everton

1986 -Liverpool

2003 - Watford

League Cup

1979 - Leeds away and home

1987 - Liverpool home and away

ZDS

1992 - Chelsea - Home and Away

Johnsone Paints

2010 - MK Dons - away and home

Anglo Scots Cup

1974/75 Oldham home leg only

Anyone who went to the away leg of that Anglo Scots cup match deserves a fricking medal.

This is my 4th if Derby play off is included. Perversely, despite the loss, the post match drenching and the Derby fans on the pitch, the away leg still remains one of my favourite games.

Five, and I'm including the ZDS and the JPT!

I've also got vague recollections of a semi final against Rangers - Texaco Cup? In the middle 70's I think. Or I could just be imagining it!

Rangers was quarter final beat them 3-1 away won 2-0 in return, they bought thousands of very threatening fans down for 2nd leg

It was Oldham in Semi Final