Saints 1 Liverpool 0 - Meltdown Thread

St Chalet

MotM vs Liverpool (LC SF 1st Leg H)  

415 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (LC SF 1st Leg H)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Soares
    • Yoshida
    • van Dijk
    • Clasie
    • Romeu
    • Davis
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Rodriguez
    • Højbjerg
    • Long
    • Ward-Prowse

Well deserved win but obviously should have scored more.

Redmond was excellent though and put a massive shift in. Should have scored another goal at least but he got in great positions and the last chance I liked his confidence to go for the chip rather than just wildly smash at it like Cedric did with his chance.

Midfield good, as none of them have a lot of mobility it suits us to sit deep. Romeu much improved from previous weeks.

We have given ourselves a chance and showed that all the tossers who go on about Puel are wrong - those were committed players playing for the Manager.

Yoshida was good too.

"13.5 In the Semi-Final ties, if the aggregate score is level at the end of the second game an extra half-hour shall be played. If the aggregate scores are still level at the end of extra time the tie shall be decided by goals scored away from home counting twice. If the teams remain equal after this procedure the tie shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with the Laws of Association Football."

So we beat Liverpool managed by one of the best managers in World football, we kept one of the most dynamic forward lines in the Premier League quiet and even stopped Coutinho scoring his trademark St Marys usual, collecting the ball on the left, move in field on his right and hit a worldly from 30 yards.

So 90 mins from our major final in years sitting 10th in the best and most competitive league in the world football all with a xxit team, xxit players, xxit manager and xxit board.

Well done Saints some of us till believe.

What a great way to mark the young lad passing away bang on 20mins, its as if Mr Liebherr was just letting us know, what a gift for the family.

So we beat Liverpool managed by one of the best managers in World football, we kept one of the most dynamic forward lines in the Premier League quiet and even stopped Coutinho scoring his trademark St Marys usual, collecting the ball on the left, move in field on his right and hit a worldly from 30 yards.

So 90 mins from our major final in years sitting 10th in the best and most competitive league in the world football all with a xxit team, xxit players, xxit manager and xxit board.

Well done Saints some of us till believe.

What a great way to mark the young lad passing away bang on 20mins, its as if Mr Liebherr was just letting us know, what a gift for the family.

Nice one.

Defoe would have had a hattrick. Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not playing left wing he wouldn't.

Thought J Rod was fantastic today, build up play was excellent. A shame he never got a real chance on goal.

Apart from the first twenty minutes the team looked far more comfortable in their roles, responsibilities and the formation than previously demonstrated. The substitutions at the end disrupted us more than it did Liverpool. I appreciate he was trying the run the clock down but it got messy and this was part of the reason.

Best game for me from Redmond but he needs some time with Le Tiss or someone. Those misses were, erm, not good.

Not playing left wing he wouldn't.

Thought J Rod was fantastic today, build up play was excellent. A shame he never got a real chance on goal.

Fair do's. He was good, yes. Just finishing is so poor for us this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My apologies. I went to 3 games while back in the UK over Christmas and New Year and we lost them all. I didn't go to Norwich but was still in England. We only drew. Now I am back home, we return to winning form! Maybe I should only visit in the summer in future?

Anyway, excellent win. Will be hard work at Anfield but who knows?

Right, a win and a clean sheet in the first leg. Would have taken your arm off for that at the start. There's a small amount of disappointment, but we've given ourselves a fantastic chance.

Now we go there, give it everything, and take our place at Wembley.

Liverpool are missing Mané, they're starting to tire from Klopp's pressing game, and Coutinho is going to take a few weeks to get back to full match sharpness.

This is where the investment of the rotation policy hopefully starts to pay us back.

And I'm happppyyyy.... SOOOO nice to have our Saints back ...

Redmond MotM but honestly there were all good tonight...

Agree with JRod getting better comments... not the spark of 3 years ago but the twinkle is getting getting brighter... *******

Hard working midfield... stayed strong and willing.

No blunders from our back 5, team felt balanced, more of the same svp mon cher Monsieur Puel..

Apart from the first twenty minutes the team looked far more comfortable in their roles, responsibilities and the formation than previously demonstrated. The substitutions at the end disrupted us more than it did Liverpool. I appreciate he was trying the run the clock down but it got messy and this was part of the reason.

Best game for me from Redmond but he needs some time with Le Tiss or someone. Those misses were, erm, not good.

well A) Liverpool's subs are of a much higher quality and B) Clasie and Jrod were to knackered to carry on

Proud of that display from us tonight, were the better team for the final 70 minutes, and it really should be at least 3-0 which wouldn't have flattered us in the slightest.

Only negatives were the chances we missed, and the referee. Once again we are treated to one of the most inept displays of refereeing at St Mary's this season. Are these clueless ****s accountable to anyone? Even Liverpool fans admit how biased he was.

As long as we don't go to Anfield intending to protect the 1-0 lead we could really do this. Be nice to have another striker in the team by the time we head up there. How vital that away goal could be for us!

That's more like it Saints! Outstanding defending, nice one touch passing and swift counter attacking. Should've been at least a two goal cushion.

But, in all fairness, how **** was that ref? Summed it up perfectly at the end when Longy was hauled down and he gives the free to them, bizarre like...

Just listen to the doom and gloom brigade:

"But ... but ... but."

"It is not enough ... not enough ... not enough."

We will still lose ... still lose ... still lose."

Pathetic bunch. Same lot that were frothing at the mouth until the goal went in. Then they were disappointed because their bets on Liverpool never came good.

It was a great performance tonight with all of the players putting in a shift. After the first twenty minutes when Liverpool were dominant apart from in the final third, we grew into the game and had the better of them for the rest of the match. The midfield played it hard and tight, closing down well and fighting for the 50/50 balls and winning their fair share of them. Liverpool players went down too easily at the merest touch and a pathetic excuse for a referee gave them everything, including some crap decisions on throw ins and corner decisions.

It will of course be more difficult to come away with a result at Anfield, but the lads will have had a great confidence boost tonight and only have to play the same determined way to get at least a draw with luck, to put us into the final.

Arrived at St Mary's telling myself that supporting the team in a semi final was the main thing, and even if we lost I'd have to accept it. It could even be a thrashing, but fingers crossed.

Strange then to be coming away from the game having beaten Liverpool feeling a tinge of disappointment!

Good performance, particularly defensively. Yoshida & Cedric both excellent and of course VVD. Romeu always puts himself about, and gets a foot in, something Clasie still struggles to do in the same way.

Tadic struggled, looked a bit tired/unfit at the end (that tired ball to JRod when it should have been whipped across was the sort of ball Dusan normally puts in with ease), yet when he gets it you still feel something could happen. Need to get him back on song as he's not the electric player he can be at the moment.

First fifteen minutes I was thinking we could get a tonking tonight we scored and grew into the game and controlled it for periods, Redmond took his goal well we could and maybe should have had a couple more. It's going to be a tough ask going to Annfield with just a one goal lead but if we play with the same commitment who knows what could happen.

I know there's a long way to go but that was absolutely brilliant, if Koeman had been in charge everyone would be saying he'd done a number on Klopp. Twice the highest scorers in the Premier League have come to St. Mary's this season and haven't scored a goal. Masterclass from Claude Puel. Buzzing for him, Redmond, Yoshida and J-Rod particularly, all have taken stick in their own way and all were absolutely top draw tonight (as were the usual suspects). COYR!

Edgy first 20 minutes but then grew in confidence and caused them plenty of problems. Redmond worked his socks off and I think the only really bad miss was the one in the first half when he should have tucked it into the corner so the keeper couldn't reach it. Liverpool will be mighty relieved to have kept the deficit to a single goal. If we apply the same effort and concentration though we may sneak the tie over the two legs. Thought we deserved more than the one goal so credit to the team and CP for a much improved performance.

Really good display from us, energetic and pressing high and playing with real intent. Redmond should have been more clinical but he was also a tad unlucky.

Tactically we were spot on, closing the channels and restricting liverpool any space. People will say Liverpool were poor, but we really didn't allow them an opportunity to do anything.

Obviously the disappointment is that it's only 1-0, but we go to Anfield with a goal and an advantage. Much more than many expected.