Saints 1 Liverpool 0 - Meltdown Thread

St Chalet

MotM vs Liverpool (LC SF 1st Leg H)  

415 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (LC SF 1st Leg H)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Soares
    • Yoshida
    • van Dijk
    • Clasie
    • Romeu
    • Davis
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Rodriguez
    • Højbjerg
    • Long
    • Ward-Prowse

Swarbrick's performance can be summed up with this comparison:

He gave a free kick for a very late blocking tackle by Lucas on Romeu who was starting a counter-attack. No card.

He gave a free kick and a yellow to Rodriguez for a pull back justo outside Liverpool's box.

Dreadful performance ref.

There were a few poor decisions last night (perhaps not as many as some Saints fans are claiming), but his failure to give a yellow for a blatant obstruction that denied us getting between the lines and forming another decent counterattack was certainly one of them.No consistency at all there.

If you sat in row S, block 33 of the Kingsland, seat number approximately 850 something last night, can I just say that you are the most annoying Saints fan I have ever encountered. The non-stop, moaning and berating of your own players for the full ninety minutes almost drove me insane. I don't know if your wife has left you and you are now taking all your frustrations out on Redmond, but please consider giving your arsehole a break for two minutes by shutting the **** up.

I know the game is all about opinions and I'm sure at least one of yours was remotely accurate and interesting, but please be assured that half the stuff you moan about is a complete load of ******** offered by someone with a limited understanding of the game and very blinkered preconceived opinions of players. What's more, every time you berate a Saints player you are just encouraging the sheep-like, even less qualified to provide an advisory comment mates sat next to you to offer their own `insightful' moans.

I have to say I thought I was a moaning old bastard and this post probably confirms that, but you take things to a whole new level. Thank **** I don't have to sit near you every game. Sorry, had to get that out of the system.

Count yourself lucky. For the West Brom game I was sat in block 43 in front of some chap who's favourite phrase was, "you f**king sh*t c*nt!!" Which he enjoyed screaming about every minute.

I could see that but there was a lot of tangling going on and I did notice the name Milner on the shirt. At the time I thought the booking was for dissent but incidents such as the one in the picture can influence a referee's mind. The worst unjustice for me was when Long was penalised for bending over and getting clattered by the defender climbing all over him. Clasie was also unfortunate when he poked his toe at a ball and never got closer than a foot of his opportunate.

Many strange and bizarre decisions last night.

Both the Tadic incidents were in front of me in the Itchen. I thought Tadic made a meal of the one in the picture but it looked like a foul though. The booking for dissent was after he'd just been grappled from behind by Clyne and couldn't quite believe that nothing was given. Nor could the crowd, or rather we could as we were getting used to his decisions by that time...

If you sat in row S, block 33 of the Kingsland, seat number approximately 850 something last night, can I just say that you are the most annoying Saints fan I have ever encountered. The non-stop, moaning and berating of your own players for the full ninety minutes almost drove me insane. I don't know if your wife has left you and you are now taking all your frustrations out on Redmond, but please consider giving your arsehole a break for two minutes by shutting the **** up.

I know the game is all about opinions and I'm sure at least one of yours was remotely accurate and interesting, but please be assured that half the stuff you moan about is a complete load of ******** offered by someone with a limited understanding of the game and very blinkered preconceived opinions of players. What's more, every time you berate a Saints player you are just encouraging the sheep-like, even less qualified to provide an advisory comment mates sat next to you to offer their own `insightful' moans.

I have to say I thought I was a moaning old bastard and this post probably confirms that, but you take things to a whole new level. Thank **** I don't have to sit near you every game. Sorry, had to get that out of the system.

Heisenberg wasn't in the match thread last night...

Both the Tadic incidents were in front of me in the Itchen. I thought Tadic made a meal of the one in the picture but it looked like a foul though. The booking for dissent was after he'd just been grappled from behind by Clyne and couldn't quite believe that nothing was given. Nor could the crowd, or rather we could as we were getting used to his decisions by that time...

I think Tadic is on referees' 'one to watch' list, partially because he does dive. So when it's legitimate, he still doesn't get the decision. Happens a bit, especially when the referee is a total waste of skin like he was last night.

Count yourself lucky. For the West Brom game I was sat in block 43 in front of some chap who's favourite phrase was, "you f**king sh*t c*nt!!" Which he enjoyed screaming about every minute.

Rupert's let himself go

Liverpool fans on Twitter are unhappy because the Itchen chanted 'always the victim, it's never your fault'

This is sung in the Itchen pretty much every time they play down here.

Would say the hatred towards them has been getting progressively worse every year.

Always gets a reaction from them.

Liverpool fans on Twitter are unhappy because the Itchen chanted 'always the victim, it's never your fault'

Been having a debate with a Liverpool and now a Saints fan since last night on Twitter. In my opinion, although possibly interpreted as such, this is not a Hillsborough chant, they're just known by everyone as being victim's in every situation. Suarez being banned for racially abusing Evra was somehow unfair, things like that, they just think the whole world is against them when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Martin Atkinson v Newcastle at home first year back was a pretty terrible - again nothing major, just incredibly bad decision making. He kept giving Newcastle throw ins when their players kept shanking the ball into touch. Even Ryan Taylor was laughing at his ineptitude.

You've also got Peter Walton (I think?!) at home to Leeds in league one - awful.

Think it was more recent than the Atkinson one, but I vaguely recall a game in recent memory where the ref was dreadful, but equally for both teams! Those ones are easier to accept though.

What about Kevin Friend at home to Liverpool a couple of years ago? Think we lost 2-1 in the end, but remember Djuricic being brought down by the last man and nothing doing... Friend did a bit of a Swarbrick with his endless marginal decisions, but also made a couple of big calls too!

Remember Jeff Winter giving Chelsea everything one time at the Dell (Nov 2000), but we still managed to run out winners. Chelsea and Winter got them back from 2-0 to 2-2 and Beattie grabbed a late winner.

Thing is, any supporter of a big club (or 'neutrals') would just write it off as some sort of inferiority complex, or small-time mentality, moaning etc. Used to love it when Elleray sent off Man Utd players :lol:

Been having a debate with a Liverpool and now a Saints fan since last night on Twitter. In my opinion, although possibly interpreted as such, this is not a Hillsborough chant, they're just known by everyone as being victim's in every situation. Suarez being banned for racially abusing Evra was somehow unfair, things like that, they just think the whole world is against them when it couldn't be further from the truth.

That's the attitude of football fans, not Liverpool fans especially. 'Never your fault' is a nasty little chant with knowing rings of Hillsborough.

That's the attitude of football fans, not Liverpool fans especially. 'Never your fault' is a nasty little chant with knowing rings of Hillsborough.
To be fair to the Saints fans in the corner who sang that song, when the Liverpool fans sung about the 96 they respectfully clapped in support

A one goal lead means the other team have to score two.We should get another at Anfield which means they have to score three and I can''t see them doing that.Don't write us off.We we're the better team last night and they had a full squad(Mane excepted) as I don't rate Henderson.We had to fill in the gaps again but we did it playing attacking football.Yes,we could have scored four but they didn't score against us did they?I see another win for us up there.

To be fair to the Saints fans in the corner who sang that song, when the Liverpool fans sung about the 96 they respectfully clapped in support

But people in Itchen north also sing 'we sing our own songs' (in response to Spurs OWTS) followed by 'we've got VVD' (sung by every team in the country) a simple bunch some of them.

Starting to be more like Northam every week. Lucky we don't have any dinlos in fancy dress.... yet.

They are a wonderful club who are loved by everyone. All the neutrals admired them when they bravely battled for the title and were rooting for them. They've got great support and I finally get my wish to experience one of those great cup nights at Anfield in two weeks time. They are a club to be admired and respected. Enduring hardship with the grit of their fans and spirit not to mention the great scouse sense of humour shining through.

PS Don't mention Heysel. That wasn't their fault either, that was the stadium, the Belgian police, the segregation, the national front, Chelsea fans who got tickets, etc

They act as though they're above this type of chanting, yet there are numerous instances of their fans chanting at United supporters about the Munich disaster.

Surprised no opposing fans ever mention the Heysel disaster; for which a group of their supporters were actively at fault and convicted of manslaughter. Not that chanting about something that awful should be condoned in any way as it is in very poor taste, but considering the malicious nature of the football crowd mentality at times it's strange that it's never really brought up by the (many) people who dislike Liverpool FC.

They act as though they're above this type of chanting, yet there are numerous instances of their fans chanting at United supporters about the Munich disaster.

Surprised no opposing fans ever mention the Heysel disaster; for which a group of their supporters were actively at fault and convicted of manslaughter. Not that chanting about something that awful should be condoned in any way as it is in very poor taste, but considering the malicious nature of the football crowd mentality at times it's strange that it's never really brought up by the (many) people who dislike Liverpool FC.

I'd say the 'always the victims' chant does bring up Heysel, which they try and brush under the carpet.

Horrible horrible bunch

But that wasn't their fault!! That was the crap stadium, the crap segregation and ticketing, the Belgian police, National Front who got in their end.

Thought we were excellent for the majority of the game. Shame it was only 1-0 but if we can play like that at Anfield we have a good chance of going through!

I also thought Puel was spot on with the selection (except for bring jwp on) and tactics. The problem is we play like that every now and then, but not often enough. Need to get some consistency going.

As per Pass the Dutchie 'He could theoretically be back. Their final group game is the 23rd. If he's suspended for that game and Senegal without a hope to qualify for the quarter finals, he'd fly home early I assume.'

So perhaps you can get off that bloody high horse, he like Boufal might get injured and so may not play

Yeah hope Puel is already planning how to stifle him as almost certainly gong to be back and available.

Yeah hope Puel is already planning how to stifle him as almost certainly gong to be back and available.

At worst he'll be on the bench, he's not going to throw him straight in after playing one day, travelling back from Africa the next and then having the game V us the day after. With no training/tactical prep for the game as well.

He'll be on the bench. What is senegals group by the way? Good chance of going through?

At worst he'll be on the bench, he's not going to throw him straight in after playing one day, travelling back from Africa the next and then having the game V us the day after. With no training/tactical prep for the game as well.

He'll be on the bench. What is senegals group by the way? Good chance of going through?

With world ranking Algeria (39), Tunisia (36), Zimbabwe (103)

Senegal (33) top African team according to world rankings.

Algeria, Tunisia and Zimbabwe.

He won't play.

Poor soul must be struggling. After all, an enjoyable win with great set up from the coach. What does he do now? Malfunction....

Lots of shots on target, running off the ball, players in the box. Couldn't do his "if Plymouth" routine. Must be seething in his Govan slum, trawling over posts, quotes and stats looking for anything to carp on about.

Indeed, it wasn't for nothing that English teams were banned from Europe for 7 years, with an extra year on top for Liverpool. You hear little mention these days of this disgraceful episode in English football.

********, scoucers have always played the victim. As others have said, they keep banging on about Hillsbrough but don't seem quite so concerned about getting justice for the Italians they killed at Hysel.

What I really enjoyed last night, from my seat high up in block 36, was how clear the defensive tactics were and how the team stuck to them. Press in the top 1/3 and then if that didn't work, surrender the middle 3rd to ensure everyone was back into their defensive set up in the final 1/3 and then 2 tight lines giving the dippers little chance to play between them, something they excel at.

They were incredibly disciplined throughout the night doing it.

Personally I thought Redmond outstanding; ran himself into the ground and was so unlucky with the chipped effort. Long may it continue.

Unlike the malcontents on the 1st few pages, who are clearly such great fans that they couldn't be bothered to go to a cup semi final, I really do fancy our chances at Anfield. It may come to pass that we get stuffed but as it stands today, we are in with a shout and that'll do me.

What I really enjoyed last night, from my seat high up in block 36, was how clear the defensive tactics were and how the team stuck to them. Press in the top 1/3 and then if that didn't work, surrender the middle 3rd to ensure everyone was back into their defensive set up in the final 1/3 and then 2 tight lines giving the dippers little chance to play between them, something they excel at.

Personally I thought Redmond outstanding; ran himself into the ground and was so unlucky with the chipped effort. Long may it continue.

Unlike the malcontents on the 1st few pages, who are clearly such great fans that they couldn't be bothered to go to a cup semi final, I really do fancy our chances at Anfield. It may come to pass that we get stuffed but as it stands today, we are in with a shout and that'll do me.

Well observed. The way that we stuck to our positions, didn't break rank and pushed them back as a team really was impressive to watch. It could be coming together for Claude if we continue to play with a bit more zip in attack. Having been a CP denier last night made me reconsider as the tactics were very impressive indeed.

Opposite to you, I was pretty near the front, in the Chapel corner - which was a dreadful view in terms of being able to see clear tactics, I've never sat that low down before in the corner but thought I'd give it a go, never again!

********, scoucers have always played the victim. As others have said, they keep banging on about Hillsbrough .

Good job they did isn't it. We now may get corrupt coppers jailed and a light shone on the establishment cover up.

I've been to Liverpool many times and not just for football , have worked with plenty of them and I've met a higher % of twts in Southampton. I bet half their end was filled with non Liverpudlians anyway. It's a fantastic city so don't understand the pathetic posts on this thread running them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opposite to you, I was pretty near the front, in the Chapel corner - which was a dreadful view in terms of being able to see clear tactics, I've never sat that low down before in the corner but thought I'd give it a go, never again!

Yeah, terrible view from there. I had the added problem of the glare from the lower floodlights at the other end. They're so far away that they're at a very shallow angle. Across the pitch from my higher seats they are not good but nowhere bad as these were.

You did get to experience the fearsome chapel Kop at its most vociferous. Sturridge,,Lallana, firmino all terrified to go near the penalty area at the Kop end as the bile and hatred cascaded off the terrace.

A bit late to this thread but ITS THE INTERNET AND I HAVE AN OPINION

One thing I don't get is where this performance came from - so very different to previous performances recently. Still room for improvement but most of everything we tried worked.

I said it on several threads on Facebook and I'll say it - happy to be proved wrong. I honestly thought we were going to get stuffed by Liverpool.

I hope we can carry this on both into the league and at anfield (if they pull it back there's several plastic scousers I know that will go from merely annoying to absolutely insufferable)

Ref was dire.

I'm wondering if that annoying fan in the kingsland usually sits in the family stand. I have the misfortune to be in front of a guy who really thinks he should be managing at PL level. Every time the opposition get in the box he says 'that's it, goal to them'

I'll be changing seats next season

Senegal won every one of the qualification games, only team to do so so I think there's a good chance they'll qualify for the next round :-)