Saints 1 Liverpool 0 - Meltdown Thread

St Chalet

MotM vs Liverpool (LC SF 1st Leg H)  

415 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (LC SF 1st Leg H)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Soares
    • Yoshida
    • van Dijk
    • Clasie
    • Romeu
    • Davis
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Rodriguez
    • Højbjerg
    • Long
    • Ward-Prowse

Is Boufal likely to be available for the second leg? He is the sort of surprise package that could nick an away goal. Then Liverpool need to score three over the two hours...
i was in the Terry Piane suite last night and it was aqnnounced that Boufal is returning from ther ANC cup with an injury that will keep him out for 3 weeks

i was in the Terry Piane suite last night and it was aqnnounced that Boufal is returning from ther ANC cup with an injury that will keep him out for 3 weeks

3 weeks from when he picked up the injury (last week I assume?) or 3 weeks from yesterday? Sounds pedantic I know, but if the 3 weeks started counting from the day he was injured then there's an outside chance he could be available for the 2nd leg.

Loving all the Liverpool 'under-performing' and 'not-turning-up' stuff this morning .. a little bit of credit for our team and our manager please.

What did you expect no matter who we play of the so called big clubs we always going to get that sort of comment.

As I walked out of the ground, I said to my mate that I couldn't wait to get back to the car to turn the radio on as I bet they would be saying that they had an eye on the weekend's game with Utd. I was not disappointed. Apparently that was the reason for them being lacklustre last night.

I do wonder how important a win that was for us. Certainly for the team and supporters, but more about if you are in the transfer market and a potential target doesn't know much about us, he would likely turn on to watch. If we were spanked 1-6, you might think that it best to go somewhere else.

They have Chelsea the following Tuesday after our second leg, hopefully they'll have one eye on that as well :mcinnes:

In fact, if you look at their next 12 fixtures they're pretty tough/massive games for them, pretty sure Klopp wont want 120 minutes in the second leg;

United (a)

Plymouth (a)

Swansea (h)

Saints (h)

Chelsea (h)

Hull (a)

Spurs (h)

Leicester (a)

Arsenal (h)

Burnley (h)

City (a)

Everton (h)

Nightmare getting down yesterday. Took 4 1/2 hours, but it was worth it to see the lads faces after the game.

Thought we were very sluggish for 15 minutes then came to life & actually showed some penetration. The team displayed a real sense of effort epitomised by Jay Rods running, Romeu's ball winning & Maya's determination.

Disappointed we didn't get the 2nd or 3rd we deserved, but pleased with the win.

My MOM was Yoshida. He gets fairly criticised by some, but where else can you get a defender who is prepared to be a squad player & commit to us for £2m??

Really looking forward to the 2nd leg now. We have hope...........

Lastly, tossers on A34 closing the M40 junction meant a half hour detour...............................not needed at that time of the morning!

How Lucas got away with that is beyond me. Worst decision of the night, and there were plenty of bad ones, almost all against us.Great night though, and one in the eye for the doom mongers.

Neil Swarbrick had an appalling game. It was the most one sided refereeing of a match I've seen in quite awhile. As previously mentioned there were no big errors such as a pen wrongly given etc, but over the course of the evening he rarely made a correct decision going our way. Shameful for a 'professional' really.

Much better last night. Encouraging!

Hard to vote on MOTM, I thought they were all very good. Maybe Tadic had the last impact of any of them but was still good.

Sadly I think we needed to get 2 or 3 really. Have to take opportunities like that.

Its nicely poised up for Anfield and we have certainly got a real chance. 50/50 I'd say.

Southampton 1 Liverpool 0, yes you heard it right, Southampton 1 Liverpool 0. To all of you, so called Saints fans/plastic scousers on here, who were predicting/wanting a big Liverpool win, I say "Up Yours!"

Whilst a narrow 1-0 win may not be enough to spoil the media's dream of a Man Utd v Liverpool final, I thought that Saints fully deserved the win. So let's enjoy the win & march on to the next game.

Neil Swarbrick had an appalling game. It was the most one sided refereeing of a match I've seen in quite awhile. As previously mentioned there were no big errors such as a pen wrongly given etc, but over the course of the evening he rarely made a correct decision going our way. Shameful for a 'professional' really.

The yellow for Tadic was appalling.

Absolutely this. I was seething at some of the decisions he gave Liverpool. The yellow for Tadic was one of the worst ones. He got fouled ffs!

His performance can only be described as bizarre.

The yellow for Tadic was appalling.

One of the few things he got right all night! It was clearly a yellow card in the rules of the game (Tadic running ten yards directly towards him, waving his arms and presumably giving him a right sweary mouthful too); notwithstanding that Tadic had been wrestled over by Clyne immediately preceding that it was the 'correct' decision.

Agree the ref was totally inept and biased all evening but let's get him for the plenty of things he did and didn't do!

Eh? Mostly quiet as usual, no special semi-formal atmosphere at all

Been like that for many years, we'd have won on away goals at Watford in 81 otherwise, only 5-1 down at 90 mins!

Maybe I've read it wrong but when I looked a few days ago the first 3 blocks were unavailable and assumed they were already sold out. If that is the case and along with seats sold in the remaining blocks it would mean over 3k had already gone. Just looked again and block 124 behind the goal is almost gone too now.

http://tickets.saintsfc.co.uk/PagesPublic/ProductBrowse/StandAndAreaSelection.aspx?stadium=AN&product=CA16LI&campaign=&type=H&productsubtype=AWAY&productIsHomeAsAway=N

Blocks 121 - 123 have not yet been available to buy online

As sales before last night had been slow they are proably wating to see if section 124 - 129 sell out (still loads avaialble in Blocks 127 - 129 in particular at the moment) before making them avaiable to Saints fans

One of the few things he got right all night! It was clearly a yellow card in the rules of the game (Tadic running ten yards directly towards him, waving his arms and presumably giving him a right sweary mouthful too); notwithstanding that Tadic had been wrestled over by Clyne immediately preceding that it was the 'correct' decision.

Agree the ref was totally inept and biased all evening but let's get him for the plenty of things he did and didn't do!

The point being it shouldn't have got to that. Yes he was booked for his reaction but that was a blatant foul on Tadic. The ref was poor for us all night. Didn't book Lucas either when we were on a counter and one of our players was pulled over. In the new rules, that's an instant yellow as well. He was a joke.

It was the decision not to give the foul initially which prompted the reaction and therefore the yellow card. The yellow just compunded the awful initial decision.

Tense atmosphere for first 15 minutes or so - after one of Swarbrick's (many) woeful decisions, it seemed to get the crowd going, which lifted further when we scored.

Great performance, so much energy. Romeu... what a performance! Though the whole team were great.

Yes it's slightly disappointing not to have more, but I wonder if perversely it might work to our benefit? If it was 2 or 3-0, I'm sure we'd set up completely defensive and they would come out all guns blazing - an early goal for them and suddenly it's squeaky bum time. Where it's only a slender lead, hopefully we won't go there with the sole focus on keeping a clean sheet and try and have one eye on getting a goal. Just thinking out loud! I'd probably say Liverpool are still favourites to make the final though.

Quite a few people saying how good Clasie was today, I didn't see it. A few neat passes but I find he never seems to win the ball in tackles (unlike Romeu and Schneiderlin who have/had a knack of always getting a foot on the ball). He also doesn't seem to be very quick off the mark to pick up loose balls. Maybe I'm missing something, especially if he did his good work in second half as it was further from where I was sitting and harder to notice! But I'm still unconvinced.

Agreed I can't see the fuss either a useful squad player but nothing more has a nice pass in him occasionally but that's about it far too lightweight, about on par with jwp but jwp much more dangerous at set pieces at least, I prefer a hodjberg as an attacking midfielder, if he was given a good run in the team he would regain that early promise

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The point being it shouldn't have got to that AGREE. Yes he was booked for his reaction AGREE but that was a blatant foul on Tadic AGREE. The ref was poor AGREE for us AGREE all night AGREE. Didn't book Lucas AGREE either when we were on a counter and one of our players was pulled over. In the new rules, that's an instant yellow as well AGREE. He was a joke AGREE.

You missed out Lallana's wild slide on Cedric when we were countering two on one in the first half, and a host of other misdemeanours.

On balance booking Tadic was one of the few things he got right all night.

Really good performance by all, but particularly Romeu who was a rock and Yoshi who seems to be gaining in confidence. Davis as usual, seems to make all the hard stuff seem simple and ran the midfield - if he could shoot consistently he would be an awesome player and not with us probably.

The only niggle is the lack of accuracy in our shooting - Redmond in particular needs to be far more clinical - it really does make all the difference at this level. I will be very disappointed in the club if we do not bring in another top class striking option.

If we play like that in the 2nd leg at Anfield we will be going to Wembley. Anything less and we will not - simple as.

Blocks 121 - 123 have not yet been available to buy online

As sales before last night had been slow they are proably wating to see if section 124 - 129 sell out (still loads avaialble in Blocks 127 - 129 in particular at the moment) before making them avaiable to Saints fans

Well tickets are now on general sale to any supporter with a purchase history from the 2014/15 season so no excuse for people not getting a ticket.

Looking at the available seats on the website it seems that most of the central blocks are sold (apart from the seats at the back with a poor view because of the roof on the upper tier) but there's plenty of seats available at the sides.

I reckon loads would have been waiting for last nights result before deciding as it wouldn't have been good going up there on the back of a 3-0 defeat but hopefully we'll now have a big push on sales. We have a total allocation of 5,646 tickets for the game so would be awesome to sell out. Come on guys!! It's a semi final and we're 1-0 up!! (also great that we didnt concede last night as the away goal could make the difference!

It would have been hilarious if Cedric had converted that chance seeing as it came about due to them being wrongly awarded a corner in the first place.

On the subject of Cedric.... having him and Bertrand out there at the same time makes us such a better attacking proposition. McQueen has done well but Bertrand is more dynamic and unpredictable and Cedric has really stepped up his performances this season compared to last.

It would have been hilarious if Cedric had converted that chance seeing as it came about due to them being wrongly awarded a corner in the first place.

On the subject of Cedric.... having him and Bertrand out there at the same time makes us such a better attacking proposition. McQueen has done well but Bertrand is more dynamic and unpredictable and Cedric has really stepped up his performances this season compared to last.

Agree about the full backs. I think with the way Jay Rod played last night and has shown glimpses of recently, that is our strongest side, with the exception of Fonte for Yoshida ( even though Maya was outstanding last night ).You could argue Boufal for Tadic and Hojbjerg for Clasie , but I would think you would get a good consensus on last night being our best XI.Charlie is probably a better finisher than Jay but he doesn't stretch defences with his running in the same way so it would be interesting to see if everyone was fit and fresh who Claude would pick .

I assumed the yellow was for dissent?

I thought that too but I saw this in The Times:

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F071e818e-d84b-11e6-b069-6105840fb14c.jpg?crop=4017,2260,100,56&resize=685

I don't know if this was the same incident.

"Southampton’s poise was absent only when Tadic remonstrated with Neil Swarbrick after the referee failed to award him a free kick when he was hauled over by Clyne."

Would be nice if Claude could find a way of letting them play a bit more.

I agree, Cedric has really come on this year and dare I say it, he's a bit more 'robust' than he was last season so he's definitely coming to terms with the physicality of the Premier League. There's absolutely zero comparison to him and Cuckoo and what they bring to the team.

I assumed the yellow was for dissent?

Yes, Tadic rightly, had a go at him after not issuing a free kick when Clyne wrestled him to the ground.

Interestingly Lucas done the same thing when he thought he was fouled in the box (foul was actually outside the box, but he gave nothing anyway) - no yellow.

Milner, Lucas and Clyne should have all seen yellows

Without doubt the worst refereeing display I've seen all season, in fact, I'm not sure I can remember one worse. Very close to cheating IMO

I thought he was excellent last night (I gave him motm, narrowly over Yoshida). He squandered that chance, but I don't think Rodriguez made a purposeful enough run for him to find the pass, he was hovering behind the defender and not making it clear where he was going to run to. At least that's how it seemed from where I was sitting. Nevertheless Cedric should have put it across the keeper - was a typical finish from a full back that had just sprinted the entire pitch!

I thought that too but I saw this in The Times:

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F071e818e-d84b-11e6-b069-6105840fb14c.jpg?crop=4017,2260,100,56&resize=685

I don't know if this was the same incident.

"Southampton’s poise was absent only when Tadic remonstrated with Neil Swarbrick after the referee failed to award him a free kick when he was hauled over by Clyne."

I cannot be sure but that doesn't look like Clyne to me! :lol:

Yes, Tadic rightly, had a go at him after not issuing a free kick when Clyne wrestled him to the ground.

Interestingly Lucas done the same thing when he thought he was fouled in the box (foul was actually outside the box, but he gave nothing anyway) - no yellow.

Without doubt the worst refereeing display I've seen all season, in fact, I'm not sure I can remember one worse. Very close to cheating IMO

The only worse one that springs to mind is when we played Man U in the cup while we were still in L1 (2010, was it?). Don't know who the ref was that night but he really might as well have had a Utd shirt on.

Every time one of their players fell over he gave them a FK, and gave us absolutely nothing all night. Even one of the most blatant, cynical fouls to prevent a counter attack, one of the most obvious yellow card decisions you will ever see, didn't even warrant a FK.

Swarbrick's performance can be summed up with this comparison:

He gave a free kick for a very late blocking tackle by Lucas on Romeu who was starting a counter-attack. No card.

He gave a free kick and a yellow to Rodriguez for a pull back justo outside Liverpool's box.

Dreadful performance ref.

Henderson and perhaps Mane may return for them, that would make them stronger but it is in our hands now, but we will need to score at least one in my opinion

how many times to people neeed to be explained that the AFCON is not a 3 day tournament. Yeah Mane is sure to be back

how many times to people neeed to be explained that the AFCON is not a 3 day tournament. Yeah Mane is sure to be back

He could theoretically be back. Their final group game is the 23rd. If he's suspended for that game and Senegal without a hope to qualify for the quarter finals, he'd fly home early I assume. But I agree this isn't very likely.

The only worse one that springs to mind is when we played Man U in the cup while we were still in L1 (2010, was it?). Don't know who the ref was that night but he really might as well have had a Utd shirt on.

Every time one of their players fell over he gave them a FK, and gave us absolutely nothing all night. Even one of the most blatant, cynical fouls to prevent a counter attack, one of the most obvious yellow card decisions you will ever see, didn't even warrant a FK.

That was Mike "Head of the Professional Game Match Officials Board" Riley. A proper **** ref.

Worse displays than Swarbrick that I can think of were some chap we had against Leeds at home a few years ago. He was completely useless and actually made a couple of "big" wrong calls I think - although we still won the game. Pretty sure it was Peter Walton.

Also, whoever the ref was in that match against Brighton. He didn't affect the result really - he gave us a ridiculous penalty but also failed to give some blatant ones earlier in the game - but was absolutely useless.

Oh, and the plum that gave Arsenal the penalty in the league match this season.

Edited by benjii

Martin Atkinson v Newcastle at home first year back was a pretty terrible - again nothing major, just incredibly bad decision making. He kept giving Newcastle throw ins when their players kept shanking the ball into touch. Even Ryan Taylor was laughing at his ineptitude.

You've also got Peter Walton (I think?!) at home to Leeds in league one - awful.

I cannot be sure but that doesn't look like Clyne to me! :lol:

I could see that but there was a lot of tangling going on and I did notice the name Milner on the shirt. At the time I thought the booking was for dissent but incidents such as the one in the picture can influence a referee's mind. The worst unjustice for me was when Long was penalised for bending over and getting clattered by the defender climbing all over him. Clasie was also unfortunate when he poked his toe at a ball and never got closer than a foot of his opportunate.

Many strange and bizarre decisions last night.

That was Mike "Head of the Professional Game Match Officials Board" Riley. A proper **** ref.

Worse displays than Swarbrick that I can think of were some chap we had against Leeds at home a few years ago. He was completely useless and actually made a couple of "big" wrong calls I think - although we still won the game. Pretty sure it was Peter Walton.

Also, whoever the ref was in that match against Brighton. He didn't affect the result really - he gave us a ridiculous penalty but also failed to give some blatant ones earlier in the game - but was absolutely useless.

Oh, and the plum that gave Arsenal the penalty in the league match this season.

Mike Riley's first game at Leicester.

As per Pass the Dutchie 'He could theoretically be back. Their final group game is the 23rd. If he's suspended for that game and Senegal without a hope to qualify for the quarter finals, he'd fly home early I assume.'

So perhaps you can get off that bloody high horse, he like Boufal might get injured and so may not play

Le Tiss called this out in his post match analysis

The ref thought it was all quite amusing. I was in block 10. Late in the 2nd half when he (correctly) gave a throw in our way and received ironic cheers from the crowd he had a big grin on his face, so he had no doubt what we thought of his performance but frankly...didn't give a damn!

If you sat in row S, block 33 of the Kingsland, seat number approximately 850 something last night, can I just say that you are the most annoying Saints fan I have ever encountered. The non-stop, moaning and berating of your own players for the full ninety minutes almost drove me insane. I don't know if your wife has left you and you are now taking all your frustrations out on Redmond, but please consider giving your arsehole a break for two minutes by shutting the **** up.

I know the game is all about opinions and I'm sure at least one of yours was remotely accurate and interesting, but please be assured that half the stuff you moan about is a complete load of ******** offered by someone with a limited understanding of the game and very blinkered preconceived opinions of players. What's more, every time you berate a Saints player you are just encouraging the sheep-like, even less qualified to provide an advisory comment mates sat next to you to offer their own `insightful' moans.

I have to say I thought I was a moaning old bastard and this post probably confirms that, but you take things to a whole new level. Thank **** I don't have to sit near you every game. Sorry, had to get that out of the system.

That's what we want, some intensity and heart. We all know that we struggle to get goals but that shouldn't stop you from still working hard and pushing forward.

I think our lack of cutting edge will do for us if I'm honest but as long as the players give it their all that's all we can ask.

We are close to being a very good team, just need that goal scorer. Such a shame Charlie is out, I'd be a lot more confident with him up front.

Romeu my MOM, great performance.