Burnley (A) - Build up

jamesfp1

Hopefully not as much rotation as normally but some is needed, especially given the shift they put in tonight.

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

VvD

McQueen

Romeu

Hojberg

Davis

Tadic

Rodriguez

Long

Redmond and Bertrand were both f*cked in the last 10 minutes today.

Playing with long up top against a team like Burnley who will more than likely sit deep and play long balls to gray, is just daft. J rod needs to start, but give Redmond, Bertrand, clasie, Davis maybe Cedric some rest.

Forster, Cedric(Stephens), vvd, Maya, McQueen, ROM, jwp, hoj, sims, tadic, j rod.

Would like to see the same side but a few of them looked like they picked up knocks. VVD pulled up with his back as did Redmond. Clasie had bad cramp. Hopefully there's enough time for them to recover.

Really want to see Jay up top again. He's starting to benefit from the game time he's getting now and is looking pretty sharp. Couple of goals here and there and i'd say he's well on his way to getting back to where he was for us.

Hopefully it's only 2 or 3 changes (Mcqueen, Hoj & Sims for Bertrand, Classie & Redmond as they looked shattered by the end yesterday) then the fully rotate against Norwich.

Jay really needs to start so he gets time up top + I thought he was excellent yesterday. Pace, strength and link up play were all a really asset to the team on the counter when you've got 1 up front. Also, I can see Burnley sitting back (exact same game plan as us last night) and us having more possession than last night, so not sure long is the right option.

Looking slightly further ahead, I think the Norwich game is one that both sides could do without. I wouldn't be too disappointed if we played a team similar to the one at their place.

A couple of us flying into and making a weekend of it in Manchester.

It'll be my 3rd Visit to Burnley, but i'll never forget that god awful wave to the crowd from Tadic, just before he missed the pen, the last time we played there :scared:

For anyone who's making their first trip, the cricket club (right next to the ground) is a decent, away friendly (although I believe there was a bit of trouble before and after the last game), pre game drinking spot.

Redmond and Bertrand were both f*cked in the last 10 minutes today.

They weren't the only ones though. The whole team were suffering at the end. I was surprised Tadic didn't come off instead of Davis, as he was struggling to get anything right or make any runs - had a chance to do a bread-and-butter (for Tadic at least) whipped ball in for J-Rod and only managed a lame scuff of a pass. It is slightly concerning that we are clearly knackered by the end of the game yet we don't play a particularly high tempo game. Teams that aren't super fit annoy me!

A couple of us flying into and making a weekend of it in Manchester. It'll be my 3rd Visit to Burnley, but i'll never forget that god awful wave to the crowd from Tadic, just before he missed the pen, the last time we played there :scared: For anyone who's making their first trip, the cricket club (right next to the ground) is a decent, away friendly (although I believe there was a bit of trouble before and after the last game), pre game drinking spot.

Yeah, there was trouble last time, including a Saints fan knocking someone over with their car and a police chase on the M6, but I've used it a couple of times with no problem at all.

We're going upon the train at the bargain price of £20 for the pair of us changing at Crewe and Preston. I always like going to Burnley. It feels like a "proper" football ground to me.

Not sure we will get anything out of the game but Puel should put his best XI out again and then rest players on Wednesday night if needed.

I think Clasie will rotate out and probably one of the front three. Otherwise, let's keep the same team and then rotate like mentalists for the Norwich game.

Given the Fonte situation I would leave Van Dijk out of the Norwich match. We can't afford a CB injury really but certainly not one to him.

For Norwich a back four of Martina, Stephens, Yoshida and McQueen please.

Yeah, there was trouble last time, including a Saints fan knocking someone over with their car and a police chase on the M6, but I've used it a couple of times with no problem at all.

We're going upon the train at the bargain price of £20 for the pair of us changing at Crewe and Preston. I always like going to Burnley. It feels like a "proper" football ground to me.

Not sure we will get anything out of the game but Puel should put his best XI out again and then rest players on Wednesday night if needed.

Respect to those who are going up to Turf Moor with dodgy forecasted weather and ongoing expense of a very busy fixture list.

Stay warm and safe and return with a decent result please!!

I would go:

------------Forster------------

Cedric Yoshida Virgil Bertrand

------------Romeu------------

-------JWP-----Hojbjerg-------

Sims--------------------Tadic

----------Rodriguez-----------

- I've only rotated 3 players: Redmond (as he ran some serious distance), Davo injured, Clasie stamina.

- Burnley is the priority as any players left out are effectively being rested for Norwich.

- I've kept Jay in as it's against his old club.

I would go:

------------Forster------------

Cedric Yoshida Virgil Bertrand

------------Romeu------------

-------JWP-----Hojbjerg-------

Sims--------------------Tadic

----------Rodriguez-----------

- I've only rotated 3 players: Redmond (as he ran some serious distance), Davo injured, Clasie stamina.

- Burnley is the priority as any players left out are effectively being rested for Norwich.

- I've kept Jay in as it's against his old club.

also because he had a good game, presumably?

Interesting couple of stats:

- Southampton have lost the most points when leading in the Premier League this season (14) but Burnley are the only side yet to gain a point when trailing.

- Burnley have won 22 of their 23 points in the Premier League this season at Turf Moor (96%).

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-01-12/stat-pack-burnley-southampton-premier-league

also because he had a good game, presumably?

When you rotate players to keep them fresh in a hectic schedule, having a good game doesn't necessarily matter. With Austin injured, Rodriguez has been playing in the more important/more difficult fixtures (Spurs/Everton/Liverpool) and Long gets the games inbetween (West Brom & Norwich), that decision is probably made in advance of performances in games.

When you rotate players to keep them fresh in a hectic schedule, having a good game doesn't necessarily matter. With Austin injured, Rodriguez has been playing in the more important/more difficult fixtures (Spurs/Everton/Liverpool) and Long gets the games inbetween (West Brom & Norwich), that decision is probably made in advance of performances in games.

This is a great shame - form is a great fatigue fighter

Agree with the majority on here. I would keep largely the same team.

Rotate for the Norwich game IMO, that way those players will get an 8 day rest.

The Burnley game is way more important than the Cup game. We need 3 points, plus the fact that Norwich are likely to play a very weakened team so we can do likewise.

The Burnley game is way more important than the Cup game. We need 3 points, plus the fact that Norwich are likely to play a very weakened team so we can do likewise.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Poor choice of words by me - I was saying we should rotate players in the Norwich game NOT the Burnley one.

why on earth should mcqueen play. Decent player but bertrand is miles better

The only reason maybe McQueen is fresh and Bertrand is not we do have six games in twenty days apparently what would you do

Maybe rest Yoshida and put Bertrand at CB with McQueen at LB not having Fonte is going to cause all sorts of problems

We do have an FA Cup match next week to consider dont forget

Not sure about Sims I would have thought he will play v Norwich

But nobody on the Forum knows the real fitness of all the players

Be great is we got another CB and a CF or AM in fairly soon

why on earth should mcqueen play. Decent player but bertrand is miles better

Just think he might rest Bertrand after a tough mid week game is all!

Orrr if you'd like an anti-Saints agenda reason; 'Master Les' will use his mighty hand, which he has built the strength of by collecting briefcases full of the $$$ of other teams during his favourite hobby (asset stripping), to smite Clod Pooel down if he DARES to not use the academy players.

Hopefully the defence will stay the same, I think if changes do come, it will be in midfield.

The team won't need to work quite as hard anyway, Burnley will happily allow us to keep the ball like we were happy to do to Liverpool.

Hopefully we will do a better job than Liverpool managed of breaking down a hard working defence.

On the 13th January last year, Saints ended a long 9/10 game unbeaten run by beating Watford 2-0 at St Mary's. It was the game which saw the return of Fraser Forster and our rapid rise to 6th began.....Could this be the turning point?

Same team please Claude.

I'd go with the same team from Wednesday, except have Hojbjerg replace Clasie.

Rodriguez and Redmond seem to be finding their mojo?

The Boss said yesterday in the press conference that it is not possible to play the same team.