Burnley 1 Saints 0 - Reaction

Mr X

Not if we can't score goals, and habitually concede soft ones we won't.

All very well people making lame statements such as "bit unlucky today", "played well today but..", "on another day we'd..." . Today follows a familiar pattern of matches at Palace, Hull, even Everton, where we do nearly enough until we get near their penalty area, or the opposition have a shot at Forster.

As we all know - bar Reed it seems - we need a striker, and a goalkeeper who can use his hands more effectively wouldn't go amiss either.

Shame about McCarthy not being available as I expect he'd have taken the position over the last few week.

Even if we sign a striker, they will still be isolated like Rodriguez and Long have been. Another problem is the formation. 3 CMs who offer us nothing when we attack.

I have been following Saints for over 50 years and games like this have been common on to Wednesday and let see what happens

'Southampton were the bigger threat for most of the match, and the Clarets also had Tom Heaton to thank for their eighth home league win of the season.

The England keeper had to be alert to pat down James Ward-Prowse's first-half header, and then in the closing moments made two outstanding one-handed saves to deny ex-Claret Jay Rodriguez and Josh Sims.'

Possession

Home41%Away59%

Shots

Home9Away20

Shots on Target

Home3Away5

Corners

Home2Away7

A deflected goal as well just think after all Puel needs to go he is just not a lucky manager

It saddens me that a couple on here are content with mediocrity and refuse to level any of this at puel. I do wonder when those people will decide that enough is enough. When we are in the relegation zone no doubt.

That couple is fast diminishing. I have now given up on any decent league position. My only hope is now for silverware in any form. To be honest, a lucky win in the league cup would totally fix the season for me, but I'm not holding out any real hope

When will this clown of a manager stop being so stubborn and admit that we need to play with two up front? Do that and we might start scoring more goals and winning more matches.

We don't necessarily need two up front, but we do need a far more positive mindset away from home.

Gone are the days when it was ok to play to hold on to the point you start with.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Not quite sure how we managed to lose that one.

One of those days.

Its quite simple really isn't it? If you dont score any goals, then one goal will always beat you. By being totally cluelss at how to put the ball in the net, you stand a much higher chance of losing games more regularly as the other team only needs one goal to win.

Hardly "one of those days" when it's been the pattern of many games this season. Worrying and needs to be sorted before we get into a relegation scrap.

Everyone could see we were short of quality and depth up front before the first kick of the season. I know Claude said he was happy with his squad but I think he was just towing the club line. The club is completely liable for not seeing what was around the corner and now we'll more than likely end up with a higher fee, high wages and lesser player than we could have got in the summer.

Don't know about the final ball, the finishing was woeful though. We should have scored at least 3 and that's without the great saves that Heaton made. Tadic drags it wide twice, Virgil heads straight at the keeper etc

I'm not sure about that. Yeah, Tadic and van Dijk could have done better, but they weren't golden opportunities. Tadic was a pretty tight angle and van Dijk was stretching to get on it ahead of the defenders. At the end I thought Sims (or maybe it was JWP) did what they had to from that tight angle but Heaton made a fantastic recovery save.

We lost the game because of our goalkeeper, but I'm not sure that our finishing was why we didn't win it. The play in the final third was poor, we are sorely lacking a striker with a bit of presence, and in general this season our finishing has been bad, but I didn't feel like we squandered loads of chances that were easier to score today.

What is this nonsense about us not trying to win the game?

The stats obviously show otherwise. Complete domination, on another day we would have won 3-0. Just a lack of cutting edge up front.

Burnley set up how we set up against Liverpool. And we got in behind them far more than Liverpool did against us.

Everyone could see we were short of quality and depth up front before the first kick of the season. I know Claude said he was happy with his squad but I think he was just towing the club line. The club is completely liable for not seeing what was around the corner and now we'll more than likely end up with a higher fee, high wages and lesser player than we could have got in the summer.

IF we even bother getting anyone first team ready at all.

There are 2 main problems in the team right now:

-Lack of cutting edge not only from our strikers but from the whole team. Final ball is woeful and when we do get into scoring areas we take an age to shoot.

-Our GK. He is seriously costing us a lot of points. Palace, Spurs, West Brom and now Burnley come to mind. A lot of the goals conceded are saveble.

Can someone provide an update on McCarthy?

Until we resolve these 2 issues, results will be more of the same.

This, hits the nail on the head. The match stats again show we were the better team, but only once (Bournemouth away) have we scored more than one goal in any Premier League match since we last played Burnley in mid-October. We are missing 30 PL goals from Pelle and Mane, and probably another 15 from Austin.

I don't know any Saints fan who didn't say this back in the summer, it's not Puel's fault. I also think Forster would have been dropped had McCarthy been fit.

Unlucky today, wasn't a bad performance except for the bleeding obvious.

However can someone explain why we persist in 4-3-3 when none of the three midfielders today can virtually ever score ? You can add Clasie to that list. 4-2-3-1 at least would mean that there would be 4 players who are forward minded. It's simple maths. It's worked well for the last few years with many of the same players and Rodrigues was great on the left side of the three, he doesn't have to be the front man. Having four from Long, Rodrigues, Boufal, Tadic, Redmond would give us a better chance.

I'm not convinced that it would solve all our problems, but we need to make a fundamental change. Trying to buy a great new forward in January is not likely to be possible due to the market, so we need to try other approaches in the short term.

I have been following Saints for over 50 years and games like this have been common on to Wednesday and let see what happens

'Southampton were the bigger threat for most of the match, and the Clarets also had Tom Heaton to thank for their eighth home league win of the season.

The England keeper had to be alert to pat down James Ward-Prowse's first-half header, and then in the closing moments made two outstanding one-handed saves to deny ex-Claret Jay Rodriguez and Josh Sims.'

Possession

Home41%Away59%

Shots

Home9Away20

Shots on Target

Home3Away5

Corners

Home2Away7

A deflected goal as well just think after all Puel needs to go he is just not a lucky manager

Don't we have an England goalkeeper to rely on ?

It is a frustrating time but I cant agree with all the fingers pointed at Foster.

Whilst I think he needs to be better coached about his position ie permanently stuck within his 6 yard box, apart from the Palace game, I cant see he has made any major bloomers.

He would have assumed that the wall would have stood firm against what was basically a side foot free kick from Barton, so I don't blame him for this.

Romeu was a little bit unfortunate to be penalised but that doesn't paper over the cracks we have going forward.

Shane Long is now the very average forward I thought he was when we first signed him (I really hope he will prove me wrong again), Tadic is not firing on all cylinders and JWP not progressing as we hoped.

I do think we are not getting the run of the ball but the results don't lie and it is very important we strengthen as there is definitely a relegation battle looming especially as we fail to get results against Leicester and Swansea.

Beyond this I wonder how we will regress further if VVD is sold.

Its quite simple really isn't it? If you dont score any goals, then one goal will always beat you. By being totally cluelss at how to put the ball in the net, you stand a much higher chance of losing games more regularly as the other team only needs one goal to win.

Strangely, this was our first 0-1 defeat in the league this season. It was, however, the eigth blank in attack.

This, hits the nail on the head. The match stats again show we were the better team, but only once (Bournemouth away) have we scored more than one goal in any Premier League match since we last played Burnley in mid-October. We are missing 30 PL goals from Pelle and Mane, and probably another 15 from Austin.

I don't know any Saints fan who didn't say this back in the summer, it's not Puel's fault. I also think Forster would have been dropped had McCarthy been fit.

McCarthy must be nearing fitness.

Agree with this - Adam Blackmore needs to be a damned sight more assertive with Puel tonight: 'When will the club be finalising signings in forward areas?' 'What is Les Reed doing to help you with this and what has he said to you?' 'Do you feel that the lack of transfer activity reflect the board supporting you etc?' and he needs to keep at it and not let Puel drift off into guff about possibilities. Does he think the current approach and entertainment value are good enough for SFC fans?

Les Reed is getting far too easy a ride. If we can conceded early V Leicester - I don't care about midweek - I can see it being a very uncomfortable match. I've got tickets for W Ham and praying there's 2 or 3 new signings by then otherwise I'm in for one hell of a dull afternoon. We need 30k voices chanting 'attack, attack, attack' at KO, not chipping away at Forster's clearly glass-like confidence.

Edit: Duplication of stats

our goalkeeper, attackers are still **** though but I think I have become so ambivalent with the blantant need for creativity and a striker I no longer care if we lose as that feels the normal result every game we do not have a goal scoring midfielder or a clinical striker in charlies absence.

Edited by Convict Colony

Unlucky today, wasn't a bad performance except for the bleeding obvious.

All too familiar story though ...

..... just think after all Puel needs to go he is just not a lucky manager

What did Napoleon say about his generals ?

Edited by Badger

Sh*te, dull football but we aren't in a relegation fight. It's not as if we went up there, got battered and were never in the game. In fact only the Spurs and Chelsea games have really been like that.

I would expect poor form from Redmond, Long, J Rod, Tadic OR Boufal but not all of them at the same time, for the whole season.

Yes but they are POOR ALL THE TIME