Burnley 1 Saints 0 - Reaction

Mr X

I too would like to know why the OB were involved with Glasgow Saint.Anyway, just back from the game and anyone who blames the manager for that today is either A) A utter moron B) Didn't watch the game C) both A & B.We had great chances to take all three points before they scored and great chances for a point after they scored. We were thwarted by good defending, outstanding goalkeeping and p_iss poor finishing. The manager can do nothing about that.We moved the ball well, got into dangerous positions and utterly dominated. I watched us play way worse than that last season and the season before under RK on a regular basis.Around me I heard not a peep of criticism of the manager, plenty about buying a striker, which we all agree on. On the train there was mithering about the manager. Why? because the team and tactics were spot on today.We made Burnley look like the hoofers they are but Shane Long steals a living as a striker and jay is still a yard short IMHO.

thank god there's someone on here letting those of us unable to go,know that the performance from the lads was good and not a pile of ****e, as the trolls seems to be bedwetting over

Long scored plenty last season under a different manager? JROD looks much more like scoring this year than long and clearly needs time on the pitch yet he never starts two games in a row? We set up to put crosses into the box with no aerial threat agaibst one of the strongest defended in the league? The manager rotates to much and is inflexibly dull in his approach yes we need a new striker but in the mean time he needs to make something happen i.e. If he is going to insist on this crossing game put vid up front we might score a few ��

This ^

How can you expect Long and or Jay to find any form when they are in/out of the side

Long had injuries last season but still managed 2100 minutes of league football. Over half way through this season = 600?

Look at the minutes hes played under Puel

Only 90 minutes twice all season - following a brilliant end to last season???

VvD missed an absolute dolly at the end. I didn't think we were dull today, and nor did anyone else around me. We took them apart time and time again and with a natural finisher on the pitch we walk away with a win.Shane Long is the modern day Brett but without the skill. As a said, only a moron blames the manager today as he got it spot on and we played well.

Hello Stafford Dave

VvD missed an absolute dolly at the end. I didn't think we were dull today, and nor did anyone else around me. We took them apart time and time again and with a natural finisher on the pitch we walk away with a win.Shane Long is the modern day Brett but without the skill. As a said, only a moron blames the manager today as he got it spot on and we played well.

Thanks for calling me a moron much appreciated!

The VVD comment was tongue in cheek I thought that was pretty obvious!

The manager clearly didn't get it spot on, long hasn't liked like scoring all season, JROD looks a much better bet and played well mid week yet he spent 68 minutes on the bench. We have struggled for goals all season yet puel persists with the same tactics maybe gamble on two up front might be worth taking when we look toothless. Clearly the manager doesn't shoulder all the blame but the buck stops with him.

Think the problems are for more the tactical approach of the manager than the quality of the players we have. We are completely one dimensional and a new striker unless he's a giant who can head the ball brilliantly isn't going to do much to help.

Well in my opinion you're wrong on all counts. But that's just my opinion.

This ^

How can you expect Long and or Jay to find any form when they are in/out of the side

Long had injuries last season but still managed 2100 minutes of league football. Over half way through this season = 600?

Look at the minutes hes played under Puel

Only 90 minutes twice all season - following a brilliant end to last season???

And this explains the problems Puel creates. He has managed to completely nullify the strengths of Shane Long and others. Last season Long was very important to the team - ok he is not the most natural finisher but he weighed in with some important goals and created space for others with his tireless running. The big difference is that he was mainly used in a pair last season but under Puel as we all know you only get one bloke up front on his own. The pathetic lack of goals proves more than anything else that it doesn't work.

Thanks for calling me a moron much appreciated!

The VVD comment was tongue in cheek I thought that was pretty obvious!

The manager clearly didn't get it spot on, long hasn't liked like scoring all season, JROD looks a much better bet and played well mid week yet he spent 68 minutes on the bench. We have struggled for goals all season yet puel persists with the same tactics maybe gamble on two up front might be worth taking when we look toothless. Clearly the manager doesn't shoulder all the blame but the buck stops with him.

No, the buck stops with Reed.

Do people think Puel actually wants to pick Long? **** me. I'm sure he'd love to sell him and replace him with a proper footballer.

Until we sell him, maybe Puel could just not pick him? Rodriguez played 80 mins midweek, why couldn't he play today? Switching our strikers every game is not helping anyone, we should give Rodriguez 4 or 5 games on the bounce, even if it's within 2 weeks, to try and get some rhythm and confidence

And this explains the problems Puel creates. He has managed to completely nullify the strengths of Shane Long and others. Last season Long was very important to the team - ok he is not the most natural finisher but he weighed in with some important goals and created space for others with his tireless running. The big difference is that he was mainly used in a pair last season but under Puel as we all know you only get one bloke up front on his own. The pathetic lack of goals proves more than anything else that it doesn't work.

Wrong- he was rarely played in a 'pair'. Koeman was very reluctant to play him and Pelle together - something discussed at length here. Long benefitted from our more direct style and having Mane (a more natural finisher than say Redmond) and an in-form Tadic around him.

Wrong- he was rarely played in a 'pair'. Koeman was very reluctant to play him and Pelle together - something discussed at length here. Long benefitted from our more direct style and having Mane (a more natural finisher than say Redmond) and an in-form Tadic around him.
Indeed, as I recall Shane Long only really came to prominence when Pelle was injured.

When will this clown of a manager stop being so stubborn and admit that we need to play with two up front? Do that and we might start scoring more goals and winning more matches.

When we bring in another striker. Until then, and as long as we have two matches per week, the "clown" has to rotate them to prevent both being burnt out.

When we bring in another striker. Until then, and as long as we have two matches per week, the "clown" has to rotate them to prevent both being burnt out.

Absolute nonsense. Strikers need runs of games not in one week and out the next. It's pure folly.

I don't think it's that simple, we need one of course, but a change of style is required also. Last season we switched to 3-5-2 when we were struggling and it worked immediately.

Yes, it is that simple. We create a decent number of chances and are very good at preventing the other team from creating chances themselves. Our forwards can't hit a barn door and our keeper is as useful as a lamp post.

Our problem has nothing to do with Puel or tactics and everything to do with the fact that some of our players are just not very good. The quality of our squad has steadily deteriorated in the last 2 summer windows and this is on Reed.

By the way, how does removing a forward and adding another CB help us score more goals? And who would be the third CB, Stephens? We would score more goals putting Stephens in the team? That makes no sense.

Throwing sh!t on the wall and hoping it sticks has never been a solution to anything, especially when you risk fixing what isn't broken and making things worse.

There is no solution to this other than nicking Kat's wallet and buying new toys.

On the basis of the last 2 games we've played I've changed my mind slightly on who is responsible for our form and performances.

We created enough chances to bury Liverpool. We had lots of shooting chances today. Puel's tactics allowed those situations to develop.

The person responsible is the person who decides what players we buy, and the fact that we have NO quality in front of goal any more. The only way I think Puel can be blamed is if one feels the fact that Long, Redmond and Tadic cant hit a cows arse with a banjo is because the manager has somehow failed to motivate and focus them. It may not help, but these guys are supposed to have natural instincts and ability.

No, the person totally responsible for this mess is Les Reed. He allowe Mane and Pele to leave without having adequate replacements lined up.

Well said Alpine. Nail on head. If we do nothing about it this window then I think Les Reed should get the sack before we get relegated.

On the basis of the last 2 games we've played I've changed my mind slightly on who is responsible for our form and performances.

We created enough chances to bury Liverpool. We had lots of shooting chances today. Puel's tactics allowed those situations to develop.

The person responsible is the person who decides what players we buy, and the fact that we have NO quality in front of goal any more. The only way I think Puel can be blamed is if one feels the fact that Long, Redmond and Tadic cant hit a cows arse with a banjo is because the manager has somehow failed to motivate and focus them. It may not help, but these guys are supposed to have natural instincts and ability.

No, the person totally responsible for this mess is Les Reed. He allowe Mane and Pele to leave without having adequate replacements lined up.

I'm not sure how often I'll say this about an Alpine post, but that's spot on.

Edited by Dark Munster

I too would like to know why the OB were involved with Glasgow Saint.Anyway, just back from the game and anyone who blames the manager for that today is either A) A utter moron B) Didn't watch the game C) both A & B.We had great chances to take all three points before they scored and great chances for a point after they scored. We were thwarted by good defending, outstanding goalkeeping and p_iss poor finishing. The manager can do nothing about that.We moved the ball well, got into dangerous positions and utterly dominated. I watched us play way worse than that last season and the season before under RK on a regular basis.Around me I heard not a peep of criticism of the manager, plenty about buying a striker, which we all agree on. On the train there was mithering about the manager. Why? because the team and tactics were spot on today.We made Burnley look like the hoofers they are but Shane Long steals a living as a striker and jay is still a yard short IMHO.

Thank you. Can we make this post a sticky?

Absolute nonsense. Strikers need runs of games not in one week and out the next. It's pure folly.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. On all counts.

And it's not in one week, out the next. It's in one day, and out 3 days later, and back in 3/4 days later.

Edited by Dark Munster

We were set up tactically pretty well, certainly better than many of last seasons away nightmares I witnessed in person. The difference is Mane or Pelle would grab us a goal and Forster was a decent keeper. Make no mistake, he cost us again today. Long & Tadic simply weren't good enough and in Tadics case didn't look like he tried enough. JWP average again. PEH poor first half, but I thought he was ok second. Yoshida did well and VvD obviously head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch.

As for JRod not starting. Bearing in mind his injury record it would be sheer madness to run him into the ground before Liverpool. That needs to be our focus , our sole aim. Personally, I'd have left him out today, given him a run Weds against Norwich then a weeks rest (so obviously leaving him out against Leicester) before unleashing him at Anfield. The proof of the pudding will be decided at the end of the season. If he's as he is now, and then subsequently ready for a full preseason , then Puels managed him really well IMO . Puel has shown that he is perfectly willing to play certain players week in week out. Do people really think he believes JRod capable of staying injury free and would benefit from constantly playing, but drops him for Long anyway.He can see what we can see, and I'm sure there's nothing he'd like better than to have JRod join VvD, OR & Redmond in playing every week. Doesn't show the strength of the man that he's looking after his and the clubs long term interests, rather than over playing him for selfish short term gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh, just seen the highlights, such as they were.

I can't see how anybody can blame Forster for that goal, there was enough of a deflection to put the shot past him but the wall could have been more solid.

Apart from that they didn't show any clear-cut chances for us and even at the end when Sims cut the ball back there were five defenders in the box and only a couple of Saints players out on the fringes.

Not hungry enough.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I (more or less) agree.

The only thing I disagree with is the description of it being a mess. I think things will come together in the next few games.

So you can decide who is and who isn't a proper fan? It says far more about you than those you are so quick to dismiss.

I'll dismiss anyone who openly admits that they will 'give up' on the team.

I have a bumper sticker which was given me in 2005. It reads: "A Saints fan is for life, not just the Premier League"

If you are a real fan, you will support the team, through the good times, and through the bad times. And having been through the bad times, we are currently in the good times. Our league form is a bit of mess, but, you know what, there is no other team in England I would rather support. One of the big boys would be boring to support, let's be honest. I love this club, NO MATTER WHAT, and we have to get behind them, not just 'give up'.

For instance, alpine, who is quite pessimistic, and I disagree with him on a number of issues, but there is one thing about him, and that is he would NEVER 'give up'. He would always support the team, no matter what, just like the overwhelming majority of us.

That post was pathetic, and it deserved widespread condemnation.

I can't see how anybody can blame Forster for that goal, there was enough of a deflection to put the shot past him but the wall could have been more solid.

Come on, really? It was his side of the goal, he stands there and he catches it. He tries to second guess that Bartons going over the wall, so takes a couple of steps to that side. Because he's got the movement of a pillar box he can't adjust and recover. He was ****ing dodgy all game

Well said Alpine. Nail on head. If we do nothing about it this window then I think Les Reed should get the sack before we get relegated.

Surely Les is only doing as directed from above, i'm sure if Kat told him he had unlimited funds he'd be out buying Costa and Ibrahimovich, as it is she's probably told him there are limited funds so he has to make do

Apart from that they didn't show any clear-cut chances for us and even at the end when Sims cut the ball back there were five defenders in the box and only a couple of Saints players out on the fringes.

Not hungry enough.

What complete and utter ******. If you had watched the game you would have seen that we played well and created plenty of chances ......but guess that doesn't fit with your agenda.

As Duckhunter says, Forster was not good and did not inspire confidence. And he messed up at the free kick.....taking 2 steps behind the wall: if he had stayed in place it was a reasonably straightforward save.

Does anyone think a 3-5-2 would work?

This for me is worth a shot as lack of quality chances is more of a problem than who the lone striker happens to be - Long and JRod didn't have significant numbers of chances yesterday.

Forster

Yoshi - VVD - Bert

Cedric - Davis - Rom - Tadic - Redmond

Long - JRod

And then of course have them play more than one game together.

I think Forsters' problem is that he is no longer getting in any decent training at Staplewood because the striker can't hit **** all straight in training.

In the face of our abject failure, I choose to console myself with the humour in that post, while cursing my spellchecker that says I should have typed "Humor".......Jebus, what a miserable weekend. :(

Why do we still try to attack if we don't know how to score. The only one player (Jrod) who can score was on the bench. VVD is more likely to score than Redmond tadic and long. Every team know how to play against us, that is, just sit back and take one or two chances to finish. Hopeless.

We play well one game and then Puel ensures all that is undone by changing the team and sticking the players who played well on the bench. He's an idiot unfortunately, and anyone who is still defending him is nothing but a troll.
do you think the rotation is just his idea?

Surely Reed would have input if he also thought like the fan base that the rotation was foolish, perhaps we are just showcasing the squad in the hope somebody wants to buy them lol. Funny how VVD is the only player that seems to play every game, he looks fresher than the rest.

Today is the 14th he is just going to sit down with them?

Since Austin got injured it's been obvious we are light it's not as if we have an academy player we can bring in

In fairness Puel has nothing to do with transfers - he is just the coach.

Les "responsible for every football related matter at the football club" Reed will have targets lined up im sure - he has his Black Box’ – a darkened room he compares to the “Bridge of the Starship Enterprise” and will be closing in on targets v.soon

Puel probably just wants to sit down to see who Reed is signing

do you think the rotation is just his idea?

Surely Reed would have input if he also thought like the fan base that the rotation was foolish, perhaps we are just showcasing the squad in the hope somebody wants to buy them lol. Funny how VVD is the only player that seems to play every game, he looks fresher than the rest.

Centre backs cover nowhere near the same amount of distance as the rest of the side, it's not rocket science!

The more I watch the more I've come to realise that it really isnt Puel's fault. We dominate games, we create chances, we just cant finish them. To repeat what has been said above, I didnt hear one person xall for Puel to be sacked atthe match yesterday but I did hear many question the quality of players he has been given.

My own gripe might be that we play with 3 reserved midfielders in the middle and might be better pushing one further forward in a 4-2-3-1 but at the minute I again can't really think of a player we have suited to that role. A striker and AMC are what is needed this window. We can make do with our defence from the evidence of the last two games, we just need to find more goals.