Burnley 1 Saints 0 - Reaction

Mr X

Well said Alpine. Nail on head. If we do nothing about it this window then I think Les Reed should get the sack before we get relegated.

Its so easy to lay blame but Alps is saying what I have for a very long time 'Responsibility is the operative word here so have a think whose it is?'.

The formation is very similar to last year 4 - 3 - 3.....

Whilst we played a negative counter attack style under Koeman, we had players like Mane who could hit teams on the counter with Pace and was very unpredictable and we where more direct (get the ball to the Pelle and have mane / Tadic playing off him getting into the box)... We simply don't have that this year.

Disagree that Puel hasn't improved players.. Look at Romeu, Yoshida & Cedric whom have improved IMO.

I certainly question Puel's tactics at times and the possession sideways passing is not enjoyable to watch, but you also have to look at the recruitment in the summer which IMO, Boufal aside (who I believe will be a top player for us, just give him time to settle and adjust), wasn't good enough.

Bit in bold. Interesting.

Puel has said that for the most part he and the club only have time to deal with recovery and preparation for the next match. When, where, etc does the time come to improve said players? Now where's the proof that Puel has had a direct effect on how e.g. OR plays and improves him, for example that he has show OR how to do a slide tackle or to kick the ball with the outside of his foot? I suspect he has not done any of this. Where is the evidence that he has shown OR that when player X has the ball he should appear 3 yards to his left within 2.3 seconds in order to receive the ball, etc? Again, none. I can recollect OR saying that when he was at Barca Pep Guardiola gave him some advice which he found very helpful when playing but I suspect in many ways he is almost the finished article in that he knows pretty much all he's going to learn. He could improve his weaker foot a bit and so on perhaps but that is likely as much as anything down to him (OR) training it. So where is the evidence that CP - or indeed any manager/head coach - has directly improved the play of a player? Just because e.g. VVD plays well now when he perhaps didn't play well earlier doesn't mean that this can be attributed to the manager. It could be any number of reasons. I would suspect that each of the three that you have named have not 'improved' and nor have they 'been improved' and I would remind you that this is football in the real world, not Football Manager where players will improve because that's how the game is structured. Finally, again, I would ask for some evidence of your presumption and remind you what the club have said about the availability of the time and how this affects what training/development there is and that a great deal of a footballer's life is spent doing training drills the like of which can be seen in videos if you haven't undertaken any of them yourself and so would recognise them from that experience.

Romeu has improved through playing time, not coaching. He was good when called upon last year but didn't get a run in the side. Now he's had a run in the side you can see his ability.

Exactly the same will be said of Hojbjerg if he starts playing most weeks.

Romeu has improved through playing time, not coaching. He was good when called upon last year but didn't get a run in the side. Now he's had a run in the side you can see his ability.

Exactly the same will be said of Hojbjerg if he starts playing most weeks.

Which he probably will when we sell Romeu in the summer.

Bit in bold. Interesting.

Puel has said that for the most part he and the club only have time to deal with recovery and preparation for the next match. When, where, etc does the time come to improve said players? Now where's the proof that Puel has had a direct effect on how e.g. OR plays and improves him, for example that he has show OR how to do a slide tackle or to kick the ball with the outside of his foot? I suspect he has not done any of this. Where is the evidence that he has shown OR that when player X has the ball he should appear 3 yards to his left within 2.3 seconds in order to receive the ball, etc? Again, none. I can recollect OR saying that when he was at Barca Pep Guardiola gave him some advice which he found very helpful when playing but I suspect in many ways he is almost the finished article in that he knows pretty much all he's going to learn. He could improve his weaker foot a bit and so on perhaps but that is likely as much as anything down to him (OR) training it. So where is the evidence that CP - or indeed any manager/head coach - has directly improved the play of a player? Just because e.g. VVD plays well now when he perhaps didn't play well earlier doesn't mean that this can be attributed to the manager. It could be any number of reasons. I would suspect that each of the three that you have named have not 'improved' and nor have they 'been improved' and I would remind you that this is football in the real world, not Football Manager where players will improve because that's how the game is structured. Finally, again, I would ask for some evidence of your presumption and remind you what the club have said about the availability of the time and how this affects what training/development there is and that a great deal of a footballer's life is spent doing training drills the like of which can be seen in videos if you haven't undertaken any of them yourself and so would recognise them from that experience.

Romeu & especially Yoshida are playing better than last year... whether this is down to game time or CP training I don't know, but the are better than last year so therefore have improved.

If you're going to be pandantic then use McQueen playing L1 or 2? Last year, or Sims as an example. CP has definitely improved these.

Improving someone's ability isn't all about individual training, sometimes it's about tactic and game time

Pochetino is very good at improving players. Good coaches improve players.

That's partly down to D'Agostino as well though. Mauricio obviously knows what he wants from players but it's down to the whole coaching team to make sure that they improve as required. Manager always gets all the praise and all the crap if there's any going round but it really is a group effort. Don't even know who our first team coach is right now.

That's partly down to D'Agostino as well though. Mauricio obviously knows what he wants from players but it's down to the whole coaching team to make sure that they improve as required. Manager always gets all the praise and all the crap if there's any going round but it really is a group effort. Don't even know who our first team coach is right now.

Pascal Plancque, although we don't really hear from him (perhaps he doesn't speak English)

Judging by his biography on the Saints website, he has worked mainly as a youth coach, so perhaps his ability at coaching youngsters is why he was brought in.

I think Aleks Gross does a lot of work, he seems to have taken up the role Jan Kluitenberg had.

Pascal Plancque, although we don't really hear from him (perhaps he doesn't speak English)

Judging by his biography on the Saints website, he has worked mainly as a youth coach, so perhaps his ability at coaching youngsters is why he was brought in.

I think Aleks Gross does a lot of work, he seems to have taken up the role Jan Kluitenberg had.

Right, a very low key appointment then. Can't see why we need another youth coach coaching the first team.

Something to look at perhaps.