Norwich build up thread

southbourne saint

Never started one of these before thought I'd give it a go. Play the kids for me Leicester game far more important got to stop the rot in the league.

im a bit more of the opposite!

i highly doubt we will go down, so let's go for a cup double, we have the talent just very inconsistent with it.

would play this-

lewis

cedric yoshida stephens mcqueen

hojberg

clasie davis

tadic jayrod sims

Really, really, really need to win this to get some confidence for Leicester game.

I'm expecting a lot of rotation - fingers crossed it's enough to win the game.

It will be a different team that plays Leicester so no point talking about confidence! Someone could score a hat trick in 20 minutes get subbed in 60 and still need to be rotated onto the bench according to our manager!

Personally I'd put out a strong side similar to the one which will play Leicester but we all know that won't happen!

Having to play Arsenal in the next round is a shame , we've not had much luck with easy cup draws this season.

I support making lots of changes, the youngsters haven't let us down this season (except for Lewis error at Norwich, shame Mccarthy has been injured for so long) .

They won't fancy the game either, pressure on the club to get back into the play offs and a poor result yesterday losing at Rotherham and having a man sent off. I can see this being quite an entertaining open game. Almost certainly will be the smallest crowd of the season , apparently Norwich are putting on free coaches for their fans so might bring a few down.

Why rotate?

Surely they're fit enough for a game on Wednesday and a game on Sunday. They're professional footballers for gods sake.

Think some people have been fooled with this rotation boll*cks.

Leicester are not playing a game in midweek. Therefore, they will be fitter, and will have an advantage. Not to mention the risk of players getting injuries.

Rotate, rotate, rotate.

Are Olomola and Barnes fit? Would love to see one of those start upfront tomorrow if it's not going to be Jay, couldn't do any worse than Long.

I *think* they are both injured. Seager is obviously still coming back from his injury too hence why we've been playing younger lads up top recently.

Hope we put out a decent side. The league season is basically dead. We won't finish top 7 and should have enough about us to make sure we don't get pulled into the relegation battle so it's all about the cup competitions for me. It would be nice to actually win something for a change.

That's my view too. Let's go for it.

100% this. We need to start finding some consistency. Rotation is to blame for most of the car crash this season has become. Puel has to stop the rotation nonsense or ship out.

This. We managed two successive promotions playing as close to the same 11 as possible, and would often have 3 games a week due to cups and a 46 match league. This rotation malarky is ********, our players especially the strikers need to build a run of form and it's not happened. Virgil Van Dijk is the only player to have featured in nearly every game and is consistently one of the best performers, I don't think that's a coincidence.

This. We managed two successive promotions playing as close to the same 11 as possible, and would often have 3 games a week due to cups and a 46 match league. This rotation malarky is ********, our players especially the strikers need to build a run of form and it's not happened. Virgil Van Dijk is the only player to have featured in nearly every game and is consistently one of the best performers, I don't think that's a coincidence.

Romeu has as many league appearances as Van Dijk (20). And Redmond has 19.

Romeu has as many league appearances as Van Dijk (20). And Redmond has 19.

The difference being that Virgil is the only one that plays the full 90 minutes each time. Any idea of total appearances including cups and whether Romeu and Redmond have started or been subbed off?

Hope we put out a decent side. The league season is basically dead. We won't finish top 7 and should have enough about us to make sure we don't get pulled into the relegation battle so it's all about the cup competitions for me. It would be nice to actually win something for a change.

Despite the current criticism of our league form quite a few were saying exactly this before the season even started, ie they'd settle for a mid table finish if it meant a decent cup run or final.

100% this. We need to start finding some consistency. Rotation is to blame for most of the car crash this season has become. Puel has to stop the rotation nonsense or ship out.

Agreed. Interestingly I read this morning that Liverpool will be risking sanctions from FIFA if they play Matip owing to a dispute with Cameroon. They are keen to play him because he 'needs to rebuild match fitness'.

I would leave out players that are clearly the best option in their position for this one. There's really no point risking an injury or suspension to them when we've got a potentially season defining match next week and we're still in our first round of this cup. I'm talking about Virgil, Cedric, Bertrand, Forster, Romeu and Rodriguez.

So, I'd go with:

-----Whichever keeper is best other than Forster who is fit to play-------

Martina------------Stephens------------Yoshida------------McQueen

----------------------------------Reed----------------------------------------

-------------------Clasie---------------------Hojbjerg-----------------------

-----------Redmond----------------------------------------Tadic-----------

------------------------------------Long-------------------------------------

Edited by benjii

----------------Lewis---------------

Martina Stephens Virgil McQueen

----------------Reed---------------

----------Clasie---Davis-----------

Sims--------------------------Tadic

----------------Jay-----------------

Updated to reflect possible injuries:

----------------Lewis---------------

Martina Stephens Yoshida McQueen

----------------Reed---------------

----------Clasie---Hojbjerg-----------

Sims--------------------------Tadic

----------------Jay----------------

What a weak squad we seem to have all of a sudden! Not sure Tadic will start either as he will be needed in the Leicester and Liverpool games and has started the last few.

There is no doubt we carry a very lean squad. I think, primarily, because we have academy graduates as our 2nd choice for a few positions which is enviable to a degree, but it starts to look very think when injuries (& captain's handing in transfer requests) start to mount up.

There is no doubt we carry a very lean squad. I think, primarily, because we have academy graduates as our 2nd choice for a few positions which is enviable to a degree, but it starts to look very think when injuries (& captain's handing in transfer requests) start to mount up.

Squad is far too light on quality to envisage a season with a current minimum of 51 games. Could even go to 55+ if we stay in the FA Cup. That's a Chelsea or Arsenal type season and look at the squad depth they have.

Squad is far too light on quality to envisage a season with a current minimum of 51 games. Could even go to 55+ if we stay in the FA Cup. That's a Chelsea or Arsenal type season and look at the squad depth they have.

I know mate. In an ideal world, we would have signed Hojbjerg/Boufal/Redmond etc AND kept Vic/Pelle/Mane. We then would have had a squad to handle the extra fixtures.

Management knew this

I hate rotation. Stop the rotation. Too much ****ing rotation!

I wish we had a bigger squad. Let's get a bigger squad!

Didn't say more, said better. To me we have far too many average players and not enough quality.

When a player is replaced by another it needs to be one of the same sort of quality.

When you replace Davis with JWP you have a relative cliff edge in quality.

We have one team that's good enough but when we can't use it we drop off and then the rot sets in.

A few weeks back we were 7th in the League and still in the League Cup, you just can't envisage keeping up that sort of rythm when your fringe group of players is so far below the level of your first team. There is no point in keeping endless hangers on around to sap your funds, loan them out, give them away but stop paying them.

When you replace Davis with JWP you have a relative cliff edge in quality.

Davis came on and did well in the second half against Bournemouth, and that's practically the only contribution of note he's made all season. The inescapable fact is that our run of low-scoring, tedious games has now stretched on for long enough that even with heavy rotation, pretty much every midfielder in the squad has had a chance to make a mark, and nobody has. Now don't get me wrong, JWP has put in some abject performance of late, but its not as if we've done much better in the league when Davis starts.

Injury news from Norwich...

Team news: Norwich City down to the bare bones for FA Cup replay at Southampton

Norwich City manager Alex Neil has a host of injury problems to contend with at Southampton in the FA Cup tomorrow, when he will give precedence to Saturday’s league clash with Wolves when making his team selection.

Although Neil stopped short of revealing what his team will be for the third round replay at St Mary’s, he made it clear he is down to the bare bones for the tie.

Central midfield and left-back are the key concerns, with Jonny Howson’s calf injury picked up during the 2-1 loss at Rotherham in the Championship on Saturday ruling him out of FA Cup action and Martin Olsson completing his move to Swansea.

Louis Thompson is also not yet fit enough to return from the pelvis injury which has kept him out for three months and, along with Howson, is unlikely to be able to face Wolves either.

“He’s not trained properly with the players, he’s not touched the ball,” Neil said of Thompson. “He’s doing conditioning because he’s been out for a significant amount of time and he’s been very limited in what he’s been able to do.”

With Graham Dorrans out for a couple of months with a knee injury and Youssouf Mulumbu away with DR Congo for the African Cup on Nations, that leaves Alex Tettey as the only fit senior defensive midfielder.

However, with the Norway international one yellow card away from a two-match ban, Neil is unlikely to risk the 30-year-old turning that situation into a full-blown crisis in the league.

“Graham Dorrans is out, Youssouf Mulumbu is away, Louis Thompson is not prepared yet, Alex Tettey is one booking away from a suspension, Steven Whittaker’s got a tight hamstring,” Neil explained.

“So all in all we’re not in good shape at the moment in terms of injuries, which is not good.

“Nelson Oliveira’s suspended for three games, so obviously we’ve got a bit of work to do in putting a squad together.”

Young central midfielders Ray Grant and Ben Godfrey will travel with the squad, although James Maddison cannot play due to his loan to Scottish Premiership side Aberdeen earlier this season.

“They’re in the squad,” Neil said of Grant and Godfrey, who were left out of yesterday’s under-23s game, a 2-2 draw with Fulham at Colney.

“James Maddison cannot travel because his registration is in Scotland and he was not here for the first round of the cup.”

Another young central midfielder who could have come into it is Conor McGrandles but he came off at half-time of City’s under-23s beating Aston Villa 4-3 at Carrow Road last week, with soreness in his shins as he continues to make his way back from a double leg break.

Another who is unavailable is striker Carlton Morris, who scored in that game before limping off in the second half, leaving just Cameron Jerome and Kyle Lafferty as options up front.

That could lead Neil to not risk Jerome ahead of the Wolves clash, saying only with a wry smile: “It’s something I’m looking at. Without you telling me the team and writing it down for me, I can’t say much more.”

The Canaries boss re-emphasised that repairing City’s flailing Championship campaign remains his priority, having slipped eight points adrift of the play-off places following defeat at Rotherham.

That is despite the prize of a televised home clash against Arsenal in the fourth round being up for grabs – also saying that Robbie Brady will be in the squad despite interest from clubs hoping to sign him this month.

“It’s a cup tie, we’ve got an absolutely crucial game at the weekend in the league, and I’ve not shied away from this question before; the league is our main priority, it’s not going to be the cup, that’s as simple as it is,” the Scot made clear.

“At the moment I’m really, really short on midfield players, we really are struggling in that area of the pitch.”

Source: http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/team_news_norwich_city_down_to_the_bare_bones_for_fa_cup_replay_at_southampton_1_4852755

Any saints fan reading that could be forgiven for feeling complacent, Norwich sound like they're in disarray at the moment, sounds like the fans want the manager out and would take a defeat if it helps achieve that, loads of injuries / suspensions and have sold one of their better players. With all that in mind I fancy a few quid on a Norwich win!

According to Puel Van Dijk, Bertrand and Davis are all out for us, Harry Lewis will be in goal so they will try and test him at every opportunity.

I reckon;

Lewis

Martina

Yoshida

Stephens

McQueen

Reed

Ward-Prowse

Hojberg

Sims

Long

Tadic

Any saints fan reading that could be forgiven for feeling complacent, Norwich sound like they're in disarray at the moment, sounds like the fans want the manager out and would take a defeat if it helps achieve that, loads of injuries / suspensions and have sold one of their better players. With all that in mind I fancy a few quid on a Norwich win!

According to Puel Van Dijk, Bertrand and Davis are all out for us, Harry Lewis will be in goal so they will try and test him at every opportunity.

I reckon;

Lewis

Martina

Yoshida

Stephens

McQueen

Reed

Ward-Prowse

Hojberg

Sims

Long

Tadic

With their injury/suspension problems that team should be more than enough. There's absolutely no excuse for not safely winning this game.