This Forum

Fitzhugh Fella

Good post. I think of the abusive posters, like Always, as Les Miserables (with a very English pronunciation) as any criticism of Les Reed seem to bring out the worst of their vitriol. Mostly, the two groups you describe have very few differences of opinion over the players and performances on the pitch. We’d all agree, for example, that van Dijk is a great player and that Ward-Prowse is not a very good one.

There are also many posters who post both positive and negative observations but people from the extremes of the 2 camps look to pigeon hole everybody on here as friend or foe, which generally means being in either the pro- or con- Les Reed camp, when really we are all Saints fans and would all be over the moon if we won the League Cup.

By the way, I am a season ticket holder and have been a loyal Saints fan all of my life and I come from a family of Saints fans. I have also had several friends who were Saints players. If you care to trawl back through all of my posts on here, you’ll find both positive and negative as well as objective observations but little in the way of personal abuse by me.

Let's all hope a League Cup win unites everybody on this forum at Wembley.

Almost everyone on this forum knows that dalek, heisenberg and always_sfc are trolls and wums. At least two of them have been doing it constantly for years yet the mods have never done anything. Banning those three permanently would immediately make the forum better on both sides.

Edited by hypochondriac

Almost everyone on this forum knows that dalek, heisenberg and always_sfc are trolls and wums. At least two of them have been doing it constantly for years yet the mods have never done anything. Banning those three permanently would immediately make the forum better on both sides.

Always is banned - youre still talking about him

Dakek has posted here for 10 years, averages 2 posts a day, not sure removing him will stop arguements

I posted about 50 times over an 18 month period, arguements, insults and requests for bans continued.

You have posted 26,000 times?!?!

Giggs-Caldwell.jpg

That's demonstrably untrue, unless you're deliberately attempting to be ironic?

If you hold an opinion, and I hold an opinion that is the opposite of it, how can they both be correct?

All opinions are "correct' in the sense that they accord with the particular holder's view. An opinion is a belief or judgment that cannot be proved to be true or false. My opinion that The Beatles were the best band ever, and your opinion that The Rolling Stones are the best band ever, cannot be proven as "correct" (i.e., true or false) because it is not an opinion based on verifiable fact. It is a subjective assessment.

In the area of deductive reasoning, it doesn't make sense to talk about "opinion". You can't have an opinion about whether or not 2+2 = 4

Scientific observation also precludes "opinion". To hold the opinion that the Earth is flat is "incorrect" because it flies in the face of observable "fact" and scientific consensus.

Opinions about inductive reasoning are all about probability. If you hold the opinion that all swans are white, then that is "correct" until the day that somebody sees a black swan. The opinion that the sun will come up tomorrow is "correct" because it is probable—based on prior experience. But it is not logically entailed.

Most opinions about football are based on subjective criteria, not logical facts, or objective observation. Southampton lost to Burnley yesterday is a verifiable fact. You can't have an opinion about that. Southampton lost because Burnley scored and Saints didn't is also not an opinion; that's a logical fact. Southampton lost, says A, because Fraser Forster is a lousy goalkeeper; Southampton lost, says B, because Romeu gave up a silly foul on the edge of the box: those two statements are reasonable opinions, and they can both be considered "correct" opinions, because they are based on observation. But they are not facts. Puel is a useless manager; Puel is a good manager: these can also both be considered "correct" opinions. It depends on the criteria you select and the evidence you provide.

I seldom post on here any more and didn't bother to renew. Many of the good (IMO) posters have gone, and we're left with a higher proportion of people who couldn't participate in civilized discussion if their lives depended on it. Well, on here at least. I'm sure they don't behave like that in the pub or they'd spend most of their lives in hospital or in prison.

So the problem is not the people, it's the conduct some of them choose to exhibit on here. It's not about disagreements, it's about needless disrespect.

I don't know how the mods can be expected to resolve that problem. The only people who can make this place work are the posters themselves.

I'd happily pay more than five quid to participate in a forum that had some kind of rating system, enabling the mods to ditch people whose rating falls below a certain level. Sure, they could come back in another form but they won't last long.

I certainly wouldn't low-rate someone just because I disagreed with them, but I would if they kept slinging insults and making snide remarks aimed at other posters.

I have been supporting saints for near on 55 years, and to told that "If I don't like it go and support someone else" is a real button pusher for me.

Tbh, in 55 years there has not been that many ups to celebrate apart from the obvious as far as saints is concerned, and that lends itself to a rather negative style of approach when posting on here. I think this can apply to several old duffers on here like me, and we tend to clash with the new kids on the block who are on one hand very trusting of everything saints and on the other very scathing of those who dare to question.

I have no problem with anything that people say, but there's no need for any personal attacks or extreme language. An opinion can never be wrong no matter how much you might disagree with it.

It's a good thing we're all different.

Great reply. The whole reason a forum exists. Express your opinion, respect others differing opinions

I seldom post on here any more and didn't bother to renew. Many of the good (IMO) posters have gone, and we're left with a higher proportion of people who couldn't participate in civilized discussion if their lives depended on it. Well, on here at least. I'm sure they don't behave like that in the pub or they'd spend most of their lives in hospital or in prison.

So the problem is not the people, it's the conduct some of them choose to exhibit on here. It's not about disagreements, it's about needless disrespect.

I don't know how the mods can be expected to resolve that problem. The only people who can make this place work are the posters themselves.

I'd happily pay more than five quid to participate in a forum that had some kind of rating system, enabling the mods to ditch people whose rating falls below a certain level. Sure, they could come back in another form but they won't last long.

I certainly wouldn't low-rate someone just because I disagreed with them, but I would if they kept slinging insults and making snide remarks aimed at other posters.

Those first two sentences made me laugh but it is very true, the internet is a safe battleground.

I am a self-confessed bed wetter but strangely my Dad is twice as bad as me and when I am in his company and he starts moaning I instantly turn into a happy clappy. I at least enjoy winning, he still moans. I remember the day after we reached the Prem he rung me up and started slagging Adkins. I slammed the phone down and we didn't talk for a fortnight. Moan when things are bad or we lose but at least when we win enjoy it.

This should smoke a few out.

I maintain this forum is turning into a battle between the negative, moaners (bed wetters, wrist slitters) and the positive, rosy glasses wearers (happy clappies, head in the sand ostrichs).

When Saints lose the bed wetters come out in force for an hour and then usually a robust fight back from the happy clappers starts and the bed wetters are forced back to bed. I guess I belong to the first bunch but despite what the clappers allege no one from either side is any more or less of a fan, we just express ourselves differently. But what has become noticeable recently is the vitriol, which I have to say is mainly one way and that's aimed at the bed wetters. Some of the uber fans seem to think criticism of the club is a personal affront to their manhood and all sorts of unpleasant names are hurled about in a macho style. Instructions to "get off the forum if you can't say anything good at the club" is a regular cry. The chest thumping is almost primaeval.

Just after the game yesterday I tweeted that I believed the club to be poorly managed on and off the pitch since the summer (I stand by this view) when I got a really nasty tweet from someone I didn't know calling me all the names under the sun. it's hard to argue sanely with a guy who calls you a knob**** in very tweet. Later in the evening I recognised this guy as one who posts regularly on here. I have always respected his opinions, he posts some interesting stuff so I was surprised that he had resorted to such blind hatred just because I stated publicly on my twitter about mismanagement. To be hones tit was a bit of a worrying realisation.

I suppose it's the social media world we live in, but it is becoming really unpleasant on here these days, with so many just coming on to play the posters and not give an opinion of their own. I don't actually mind the name calling etc etc but what is unpleasant is the snide belittling comments by a few posters who do all they can do try and humiliate contributors who dare to have an alternative view. There is just no need. Everyone is entitled to their views but there again everyone is entitled to respect. I think the trouble is anonymity. A lot of the abuse would not be dished out if the disher's name was known to all. So many people hide behind that cloak, a lot of them cowardly people.

I don't suppose Steve would ever making this forum non anonymous but it wouldn't half make things a little more convivial. In the meantime watch to see which side throws the most personal insults and then wonder why it is mainly one way.

It will also be interesting to see what follows these words. Regards to all Duncan

I agree that the Club has been mismanaged on and off the field this season.

And looking at the Premier League table, starting to get a little bit worried.

Just the facts. Not interested in half-baked theories from people who can't be ars-ed to go to matches.

See, now that's one that gets my goat - the notion that someone's opinion is worth less because they don't (or can't) go to matches.

I'll happily grant you that some perspectives can only be gleaned by "being there", but there's nobody on this forum who didn't change their mind about something after getting home from the match and seeing it on TV.

While I'd love to be at the game, I honestly think that I had a better perspective on most events from my armchair than I would have had if I'd been sitting at the ground and drawing conclusions from 50-100 yards away.

Watching things from home doesn't legitimize my opinion but it sure as hell doesn't delegitimize it either.

I seldom post much on the main board any more - mostly because I can't actually afford to come to games all that often these days and hence feel less qualified to express an opinion. But I think this forum has long been divided between those who see its role as essentially a 'cheer-leading' opportunity (anyone remember NickG) and those who prefer to adopt a more 'warts and all' approach. There is clearly also something in the nature of Internet communication that encourages a degree of aggression that few would feel free to express in any other social situation - yes I too have been known to yield to this temptation.

Surely it is best to be honest in life and when things are going wrong fans are perfectly entitled to express their true feelings. The alternative is too tedious to contemplate is it not?

I have been personally abused on this forum, regularly, by a number of posters, over the years. In order to avoid these anonymous attacks, I have decided to share a video showing just how hard I am, so that these abusive trolls know exactly who the f*** they are dealing with.

[video=youtube;ntj0Ukm1Q-Q]

It really depends on your mood when you log on. I never come on these days if I'm feeling wound up so comments rarely get to me. Similarly I've been guilty of a carelessly worded post that has attracted criticism when no offence was intended. Sadly it is the nature of social media these days. I use it less and less.

:badger:

I have been personally abused on this forum, regularly, by a number of posters, over the years. In order to avoid these anonymous attacks, I have decided to share a video showing just how hard I am, so that these abusive trolls know exactly who the f*** they are dealing with.

Superb :lol:

I just get annoyed with the incessant trolling by the usual suspects, there are a few who so obviously post what they post to get a reaction and yes I react, sometimes angrily which I believe I am entitled to do!! In the real world if someone was that persistent and irritating I would also react angrily, and if warranted I might even give them a slap, it's not big or clever of course but that's how some of us are. Of course if I react too angrily too often I get a ban, which I have just returned from :rolleyes: (I'm in my 40's ffs) During this ban i was still able to monitor the forum...the same trolls were still out in force peddling the same old persistent crap unmoderated. I'm told that these individuals will now be dealt with, good news and with that I also will try to keep my own frustration in check..lets see how we go :D

I agree with Duncan that the club has been mismanaged this season inside and out.

And looking at the Premier League table today, I'm starting to get worried

BEDWETTER!!! MEET ME OUTSIDE DEBENHAMS AND I'LL BLACK YOUR EYES!!! :x :x

Oh sh*t, I've failed already....;);)

I had to have a break after realising all I was doing was abusing trolls. Since I returned I have tried to resist but it gets tempting.

And FF called me the P word the other day. Not sure if he was joking or being nasty but it has hardly ruined my life. The counselling has been fantastic and I'm able to leave the house again.

I really find that this forum is dominated by the same few aiming to push their own agenda rather than stepping back to see what others have to say.

The post burnley thread was a prime example. Quickly desended into the same old 'puel out' 'support the team' ' we need a striker' 'led reed is to blame' with the occasional sensible interjection about the game.

Perhaps everyone should get limited posts so they learn to listen instead of incessantly spout their tripe.

Seek first to understand rather than be understood.

It is wishful thinking to hope that individuals who think it "a laugh" to insult and denigrate others on this forum (no doubt bragging to their acolytes and cronies about it down the pub) are ever going to change their behaviour because of appeals from more decent minded and objective contributors.

This forum is degenerating solely because of totally inadequate regulation and policing. Indeed, as far as one can tell there is no regulation worth the name and this failure has to be laid firmly at the doors of the site owner and the mods. Their negligence and failure to act is what is driving this whole unsavoury downward spiral. It must seem to many that "anything goes" these days so the worst offenders are having a filed day.

Surely it cannot be difficult to ban people who persistently resort to personal attacks or use foul and abusive language. Those who pay to use this site must be feeling pretty aggrieved about this state of affairs.

I seldom post much on the main board any more - mostly because I can't actually afford to come to games all that often these days and hence feel less qualified to express an opinion. But I think this forum has long been divided between those who see its role as essentially a 'cheer-leading' opportunity (anyone remember NickG) and those who prefer to adopt a more 'warts and all' approach. There is clearly also something in the nature of Internet communication that encourages a degree of aggression that few would feel free to express in any other social situation - yes I too have been known to yield to this temptation.

Surely it is best to be honest in life and when things are going wrong fans are perfectly entitled to express their true feelings. The alternative is too tedious to contemplate is it not?

Always agreed with most of what you post

I maintain this forum is turning into a battle between the negative, moaners (bed wetters, wrist slitters) and the positive, rosy glasses wearers (happy clappies, head in the sand ostrichs).

When Saints lose the bed wetters come out in force for an hour and then usually a robust fight back from the happy clappers starts and the bed wetters are forced back to bed. I guess I belong to the first bunch but despite what the clappers allege no one from either side is any more or less of a fan, we just express ourselves differently. But what has become noticeable recently is the vitriol, which I have to say is mainly one way and that's aimed at the bed wetters. Some of the uber fans seem to think criticism of the club is a personal affront to their manhood and all sorts of unpleasant names are hurled about in a macho style. Instructions to "get off the forum if you can't say anything good at the club" is a regular cry. The chest thumping is almost primaeval.

Just after the game yesterday I tweeted that I believed the club to be poorly managed on and off the pitch since the summer (I stand by this view) when I got a really nasty tweet from someone I didn't know calling me all the names under the sun. it's hard to argue sanely with a guy who calls you a knob**** in very tweet. Later in the evening I recognised this guy as one who posts regularly on here. I have always respected his opinions, he posts some interesting stuff so I was surprised that he had resorted to such blind hatred just because I stated publicly on my twitter about mismanagement. To be hones tit was a bit of a worrying realisation.

I suppose it's the social media world we live in, but it is becoming really unpleasant on here these days, with so many just coming on to play the posters and not give an opinion of their own. I don't actually mind the name calling etc etc but what is unpleasant is the snide belittling comments by a few posters who do all they can do try and humiliate contributors who dare to have an alternative view. There is just no need. Everyone is entitled to their views but there again everyone is entitled to respect. I think the trouble is anonymity. A lot of the abuse would not be dished out if the disher's name was known to all. So many people hide behind that cloak, a lot of them cowardly people.

I don't suppose Steve would ever making this forum non anonymous but it wouldn't half make things a little more convivial. In the meantime watch to see which side throws the most personal insults and then wonder why it is mainly one way.

It will also be interesting to see what follows these words. Regards to all Duncan

Agree with this tbh. I'd say i'm in the middle ground. I have some negative views but always like to look at the positives. Unfortunately it's been fairly difficult to do that lately and i'm firmly in the Puel must go camp.

There is a lot of bickering on here though but it doesn't help that a few posters clearly only come on here to get a rise out of people. It happened to me on Facebook when a saints fan who was 53 years old with kids/grand kids started calling me all sorts of names just because I disagreed with him about Sakho. A player that's not even ours.

Don't get why some people can't control their aggression and ones that go out of their way to wind people up over the internet.

Just the facts. Not interested in half-baked theories from people who can't be ars-ed to go to matches.

It might come as a bit of a shock to you but a forum is for views not facts. You just indulge in being a smart arse! (It's all right folks I know Let's be Avenue so am not saying anything untoward I don't say to his face). Duncan in the Guide Dog!

It might come as a bit of a shock to you but a forum is for views not facts. You just indulge in being a smart arse! (It's all right folks I know Let's be Avenue so am not saying anything untoward I don't say to his face). Duncan in the Guide Dog!

Put your phone away and socialise with other human beings. You sad freak.

Kenny. There in 20 minutes.

I like the idea of a rating system, although no doubt some would gang up on specific individuals and deliberately low-rate them. Mods could monitor & regulate? Many Comments sections on media pages have YouTube style 'thumbs-up/thumbs-down' options. It would change the overall look & feel of the forum, though. For the better? I don't know.

I do understand it can't be easy to allow freedom of speech/thought/expression, while regulating over-the-line comments and posters.

But to be fair while I understand how that lot wind you up, you should recognise that the likes of Pamplemousse and Lord Duckhunter do the same to the other side. It's how we all react when we are wound up that this thread is about. Some resort to abuse and name calling or snidey put downs. That's when it gets unnecessarily unpleasant

So you start a discussion about reasonable behaviour ect on the forum, but within a page label me a WUM because I don't happen to share your opinion of the manager?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This guy actually lives local to me- in Kent :lol:

Name is Herbie

Agree with most of what's been said one here. This place used to be brilliant, it had a golden era when there were loads and loads of brilliant threads full of interesting views, genuine ITKers, hilarious wit and informed debate. Ones that stand out are when it was claimed that Guly had a clause in his contract that meant if he was fit he had to play a minimum of 15 minutes a game. One of the greatest debates were around stadium expansion these went on for years, Sadly we don't have any more. Who could forget franks cousins drunken Sunday night rants, this place has been going downhill for years, Sue whistle has even stopped mentioning Italy on every post. No wonder the good posters have stopped posting and you can see why!

I for one would class myself as an eternal pessimist and maybe am always waiting for things to go wrong(I think being a saints fan does that to you) , The reason I come here mainly is I enjoy discussing the games live with other Saints fans. I understand we all have differing opinions but we are all Saints fans at heart so I never get worked up by other posters or posts. I do think some of the vitriol posted towards the likes of Alpine, Dalek, Batman, Heisenberg is unwarranted and often cruel and personal. These guys are Saints fans as well and they do post a lot of stuff with which I agree. The reason this forum is so good is the diversity of people and opinions imo.

The real fans are out in the real world. Everyone who over reacts on here or some other form of social media is just a numpty with no place to state their opinions in the real world.

Every fan I know knows that the club has been poorly manged since the summer. Its not wrist slitting or being negative its a simple and blindingly obvious fact. Just scroll back to the summer threads and its the general opinion on here then.

And simply put, its the tactics and inability to attack effectively. On top of that we have a board that rip up and unsettle the team/management every summer - be it to pocket some cash or because of ego's at the top.

Regardless. The clubs ambition has been undermined since Poch and Cortese left. Every key staff member or player from that era has been removed from the club after Fonte. Thats fine when you bring success in like Koeman, but its clear now that that appointment was more luck than skill.

I don't want to dislike Puel, but these players are clearly good enough and we never look like scoring. You can say he should be backed (and in fairness he hasn't been)... But he is either happy with what he has (and is out of his depth), or he is a yes man. That should worry us more, because it means he'll keep his job and that the board have no intention of spending money.

When Saints lose the bed wetters come out in force for an hour and then usually a robust fight back from the happy clappers starts and the bed wetters are forced back to bed.

I find that when we lose I generally don't come on here for a few days to avoid the knee-jerk tedium of trolls deliberately overreacting and people biting. Dunno what I'm doing here now tbh.

That's demonstrably untrue, unless you're deliberately attempting to be ironic?

If you hold an opinion, and I hold an opinion that is the opposite of it, how can they both be correct?

Because to the individual concerned each opinion is their own. An opinion is merely a particular way of looking at things.

The real fans are out in the real world. Everydone who over reacts on here or some other form of social media is just a numpty with no place to state their opinions in the real world.

Every fan I know knows that the club has been poorly manged since the summer. Its not wrist slitting or being negative its a simple and blindingly obvious fact. Just scroll back to the summer threads and its the general opinion on here then.

And simply put, its the tactics and inability to attack effectively. On top of that we have a board that rip up and unsettle the team/management every summer - be it to pocket some cash or because of ego's at the top.

Regardless. The clubs ambition has been undermined since Poch and Cortese left. Every key staff member or player from that era has been removed from the club after Fonte. Thats fine when you bring success in like Koeman, but its clear now that that appointment was more luck than skill.

I don't want to dislike Puel, but these players are clearly good enough and we never look like scoring. You can say he should be backed (and in fairness he hasn't been)... But he is either happy with what he has (and is out of his depth), or he is a yes man. That should worry us more, because it means he'll keep his job and that the board have no intention of spending money.

Ref the part I have highlighted: ******, I am fully 100% man enough to state my opinion in public to anyone big or small. I am also rather intelligent, a qualified engineer with adult teaching qualifictions no less. As a fully grown professional man I have stated my opinion to many similar fully grown professional men on many occasions with differing outcomes. Sometimes there were raised voices ..occasionally fights!! But I and they are not 'numpties' ...far from it.

Anyway...I hope this wasn't too much of an over reaction for you petal

Not that I take it personally in the least, but it's sad when a certain poster tries to start an argument about a proposed strike in Milan, I mean Jesus really. His belittling and patronising opions compare to no one else in my option.

And the you have his Robin, who it seems thinks it's a competition on here to be intelligent and full of Witt but then resorts to the c word.

And then there is Turkish

Because to the individual concerned each opinion is their own. An opinion is merely a particular way of looking at things.

Yes, but if your opinion is about something that can be empirically measured, then it can be wrong.

For instance, "I think this 50p piece will be enough to pay for that Saints pie I want".

Yes, but if your opinion is about something that can be empirically measured, then it can be wrong.

For instance, "I think this 50p piece will be enough to pay for that Saints pie I want".

In which case it is not an opinion. An opinion has to do with something that cannot be proved true or false. See my post #55

Saint86 .

In one sentence you claim "real fans " don't over react , but then follow this with complete over reaction of where we are. You're also trying to blur the lines between opinion and fact . The board don't "rip up and unsettle the team/management every summer" and they certainly don't pocket the cash. As for your assumption that it's ego driven, well if that's not an over reaction I don't know what is. I suggest that before posting that " real fans " don't over react you cease to be a drama queen first.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter