This Forum

Fitzhugh Fella

Tough gig, writing the SFC histories IMO, and deserves more Respect. There is a certain market for this kind of stuff of course, I think they call it "Misery Lit", but the genre is mostly about how authors used to get fiddled with as a kid, or locked in cupboards and what not. They target this bilge to women of a certain age, who buy the books in two for one offers at Tesco, and discuss them with Sandy over a latte at Costa, next Thursday. But they're hardly likely to take an interest in whether Stoneham Common would've been a better site for Southampton's Football Stadium, or how much Bruce Grobelaar earned throwing them in his own net vs Spurs in the 1995 FA Cup Fifth Round replay. Then one thinks of literary fiction, and i.e. the collected works of Thomas Hardy, and Sylvia Plath, and whoever else, but while I am a firm admirer of FF's prose, it's hard to picture it making a University Syllabus in 2082, or whenever. That he persists in these activities, despite the clear commercial disadvantages, is why many of us consider Fitzhugh a Forum Hero, deserving more of Banner Status, than Twitter abuses.

The History of Southampton Football Club by Fitzhugh Fella

Chapter 1: 1885-1975

Mostly Awful

Chapter 2: 1976 - The Trophy Years

Won FA Cup

Chapter 3: 1977-2017

Awful

You see? Try and drag that into 80,000 words. Not so easy is it, Smart Arse?

F*** off Bearsy...

:D

Congratulations! When I wrote the OP on Sunday morning I said it would flush a few people out and although it took 134 posts I am not surprised that the person who made the most unpleasant reply was you. I don't know why you keep on about me being a historian, perhaps you are jealous but just to put the record straight for future generations who stumble on this Forum one day, most of what you sneeringly wrote is factually untrue. But if it helps you think you are funny then so be it.

To be fair, it was quite funny.

Congratulations! When I wrote the OP on Sunday morning I said it would flush a few people out and although it took 134 posts I am not surprised that the person who made the most unpleasant reply was you. I don't know why you keep on about me being a historian, perhaps you are jealous but just to put the record straight for future generations who stumble on this Forum one day, most of what you sneeringly wrote is factually untrue. But if it helps you think you are funny then so be it.

So you posted this thread to get a reaction? One man's provocation is another man's trolling....

Please don't allow the facts to interfere with Alpine's agenda !

That's not how things work around here, being miserable has been turned into an art form :)

He's been saying we've been going backwards for past 4 years, he'll be right one day after we fail to retain the Champions League.

Turkish can write v funny posts, just don't understand why he turns some of them into personal vindictiveness. Perhaps he knows me ????

He does it, and has always done it to everyone. He's done it to me. I didn't get it at first, but I do now.

Here's some rules to stay off Turkish's list:

1. Don't whine like a little *****.

2. Don't whine like a little *****.

"... downhill ever since?" Some opinions just fly in the face of obvious facts.

August, 2010: Markus Liebherr died, when Saints were in League One

2010/2011 season: Saints promoted to the Championship

2011/2012 season: Saints promoted to Premier league

2012/2013 season: Saints hire M. Pochettino and finish 14th

2013/2014 season: Saints finish 8th

2014/2015 season: Saints hire R. Koeman and finish 7th

2015/2016 season: Saints finish 6th

That's measurable progress each and every year, over six years. Isn't that uphill ever since?

If you consider league position as the only way to measure progress, yes.

Looking back it seems to me we improved our position on the back of profiteering from our decent players, at the cost of any long term strategy and ambition

No not at all but I knew because I am not anonymous I was bound to get some personal stuff and so it proved.

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek post from me. Just wanted to highlight the fine line between stimulating debate and winding people up.

We should have opinions, dull place without them. I would hope that everyone could respect that posters have that right to an opinion as long as it is given in good faith.

Looking back it seems to me we improved our position on the back of profiteering from our decent players, at the cost of any long term strategy and ambition

To be fair, league position is a pretty good gauge.

IMO being ambitious does not entail being constantly critical !

In my business experience, the best way to improve under-performers was to encourage, support, coach and cajole NOT to nitpick, criticise, slag them off and threaten the sack !

All companies experience ups and downs and tend to show their strength and quality when working together during the difficult times. I believe that no team/group can function effectively if individuals are being constantly undermined, unity is the key and this will be much more easily achieved in an atmosphere of optimism and togetherness ! Inflammatory behaviour (as witnessed regularly on here) does not help in the slightest !

Whilst I realise that this is a discussion forum and expect both negative and positive views (perfectly healthy) the non-stop vitriol from some posters drags the discussion to a lower level and does not improve the debate !

So my point is that you can be both ambitious and hopeful without resorting to denigrating anyone in authority in and around our club, instead support at all levels will be more beneficial to all !

Ps. well done on expressing your regret for the LOL Puel comment, it shows that you have some humility !

Spot on, refreshing to read

You are implying that there is a deliberate strategy being employed by the club to sell our best players, in order to improve its financial situation. This is not what happened. The club did not push them out to make a quick buck; those players wanted to leave.

By the way, you probably meant to say profiting, not "profiteering". I don't believe there has been anything unethical in the manner the club sold these players.

You are implying that there is a deliberate strategy being employed by the club to sell our best players, in order to improve its financial situation. This is not what happened. The club did not push them out to make a quick buck; those players wanted to leave.

By the way, you probably meant to say profiting, not "profiteering". I don't believe there has been anything unethical in the manner the club sold these players.

Why the fck are you indulging him? And in this thread as well - Glasgow puts up plenty of threads that are suitable for his repetitive maudlin bs.

The same "we're poor little Southampton", zero ambition and obsessive name-dropping I've come to expect from you over the years. The only thing missing from your usual posts was the "Lowe was not so bad, just misunderstood" dogma...

We were on the cusp of something special, then Markus passed away, his disinterested daughter took over, a very hungry chief exec was kicked out and its been downhill ever since, sporadically propped up by selling off the family silver. and getting lucky with a fraction of the proceeeds. Now its caught up with us. That makes me sad and frustrated. Saints games are utterly predictable now. And the clappers know it which is why their vitriol has got significantly worse in recent times.

But you moaned in League One, you whined in the Championship, you griped in the 1st year in the Prem, you whined in the 2nd ......

I do understand the definition, just wasn't sure about your application of it. Whether you were ticking me off or taking the p.

Wasn't taking the p, sorry if you thought I was. Just trying to explain things but it is a good example of how written words can be interpreted differently.