Points Total

spyinthesky

Based on current form and notwithstanding injuries, transfers in/out what is the general view on likely points total this season?

On current form, it is unlikely we would get more than 3 points from games against the top six sides, possibly only one ie

Man Utd H

Arsenal H

Man City H

Spurs A

Chelsea A

Liverpool A

That means we would need to take between 13 - 15 points from the games against lower ranked teams to reach the magical 40 points ie

Home games:

Hull

Bournemouth

Palace

Stoke

Leicester

West Ham

Away games

Swansea

Watford

Sunderland

WBA

Middlesboro

Looking at the fixture list from this perspective it all seems doable but the team does need to find a way to score goals and hope that our better players (especially VVD) escape injury or suspension to ensure the squad is not put under further pressure.

Hopefully the return to fitness of Boufal and Austin will help as will resolution of the central defender situation.

However it goes without saying we do need to put some points on the board soon

Reckon it will be a record low to survive. At current points/game ratio Hull, Swansea and Sunderland will get another 12pts. Doubt any of them will get to 30pts. Silva may improve Hull but their next 4 league games are Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool so can't see them getting any points any time soon.

Can't beat Hull, can't beat Burnley, can't beat Palace.

If you think the following fixtures "seems doable", you're in for a big shock. Puel needs to go.

We couldn't beat Burnley or Palace away last times we tried either.

Such a big SHOCK.

Can't beat Hull, can't beat Burnley, can't beat Palace.

If you think the following fixtures "seems doable", you're in for a big shock. Puel needs to go.

Can beat Hull (H)

Have beaten Burnley (H)

Can beat Palace (H)

Very doable, particularly if we sign a striker but even if we don't with 9 home games left I'm sure that we can survive with something to spare !

We are on target to achieve around 40 points, easily enough to survive this season and bar some margin. The problem is next season once Van Dyke gets sold on the summer we will need to invest the money we receive from him wisely or we will be in trouble.

Four wins and a couple of draws at a minimum, and I would call that a poor season. We'll have a better idea at the end of the month.

We need to get to 40 points to be comfortable. The thing is, will Hull, Swansea or Sunderland put in a good run. I think at least one will.

We need to get to 40 points to be comfortable. The thing is, will Hull, Swansea or Sunderland put in a good run. I think at least one will.

It would also need Palace to go on a similar 'good run' as they also have 16 points at present. Plus, of course, the other 3 clubs below us would also have to gather more points than Saints. No need to panic yet.

This thread is indicative of the rapid demise of our club and the fans expectations. We have gone from calculating how many points we need to finish in the top six to the current situation where we are looking at where we might scrape enough points together to avoid finishing in the wrong half of the table. I don't believe relegation is a concern but it is disappointing that we now seem like a 'normal' Saints side again where everything is a struggle and we don't appear to know where the next win is coming from. Four league losses in a row and the lack of goals coupled with the largely poor quality of our football does that I guess.

We are on target to achieve around 40 points, easily enough to survive this season and bar some margin. The problem is next season once Van Dyke gets sold on the summer we will need to invest the money we receive from him wisely or we will be in trouble.

Going to be in trouble then.

Wow that is worrying stats

maybe

But with the top 6 pulling so far ahead the season has gone back to reality where you should survive with 37 pts.

Yes we are on terrible terrible form- 4 defeats in a row have ruined us, but I don't think we will get relegated.

If any of you do think we are gonna go down- put some bets on it. Leicester were champions last year, yet below us!

Wake up, do you fancy chances at Swansea and Sunderland away, as if you not realised we've already lost against hull and palace so yes they are dreadful but so are we

Have you watched them play? If you think Saints are as bad you clearly haven't been watching us. World of difference.

There was a relegation thread last season whereby many were saying what great odds we were.

Lack of goals scored always catches up with teams regardless of "how well" they are playing. I don't think i am a bed wetter but surely the current form must be cause for concern. The club captain has been exciled and other players arguing with each other on the pitch can't be good