Cortese's Dream

Faz

I couldn't give a ****e if all or none of our players come from our academy.

Probably in a minority. Our club doesn't have a cabinet full of trophies to be proud of but a lot of us are dead proud of our academy and those that come out of it both as players and people.

Probably in a minority. Our club doesn't have a cabinet full of trophies to be proud of but a lot of us are dead proud of our academy and those that come out of it both as players and people.

why?

why does a player from our academy make you 'dead proud'....they are not dead proud to play for us, they do it for the millions of ££££ that could come their way

It's nice to see our youngsters do well but simply putting 'x' amount of graduates on the pitch shouldn't be a target, actually winning something should be the target. Wether that's with 11 graduates or 11 foreign mercenaries makes little difference to me.

It's nice to see our youngsters do well but simply putting 'x' amount of graduates on the pitch shouldn't be a target, actually winning something should be the target. Wether that's with 11 graduates or 11 foreign mercenaries makes little difference to me.

Must be tough being a glory supporter to a club that rarely sees much glory...

There are no league tables for bringing through home-grown talent. This is professional sport. It's about winning. End of.

It is a business foremost, and the sector happens to be sport. We can never win anything or get to the lucrative Champions' League, so the profit comes from TV, and also digging up nuggets and rough diamonds, polishing them in the academy and first team, then selling on at a colossal mark up. Trouble is the goldmine is turning up tin right now.

why?

why does a player from our academy make you 'dead proud'....they are not dead proud to play for us, they do it for the millions of ££££ that could come their way

We as a club produce good players, don't see any reason not to be proud of that. God knows how each of the players feel, imagine some are proud, McQueen comes to mind ... either way it's not really relevant.

Some people are determined to be negative about everything and anything on here!

****ing hell. Can't even celebrate the success of our academy without the usual's putting a negative spin on it. I understand people have their own views and it's sometimes a negative one but jesus, it's relentless at times on here.

This feat is definitely something to be proud of, especially after Koemans comments about them not being good enough.

****ing hell. Can't even celebrate the success of our academy without the usual's putting a negative spin on it. I understand people have their own views and it's sometimes a negative one but jesus, it's relentless at times on here.

This feat is definitely something to be proud of, especially after Koemans comments about them not being good enough.

Agrees. Mental that people can't see the positives in this.

Puel giving the academy players some outings doesn't necessarily mean they are good enough and Koeman didn't know what he was doing. With the exception of McQueen who's getting a few games who else has had anything other than a bit-part to play this season? Sims had a cracking opening game and has been largely anonymous since. Reed has had a couple of outings and the games have largely passed him by. Stephens has had a couple of games recently and the others just the odd start or sub appearance. So really no-on either than McQueen has seen any real pitch time. Maybe Koeman wasn't that far off the mark after all?

What is clear from Les when Puel joined was that he would be expected to give these players some first team exposure and he's doing as he was instructed.

Puel giving the academy players some outings doesn't necessarily mean they are good enough and Koeman didn't know what he was doing. With the exception of McQueen who's getting a few games who else has had anything other than a bit-part to play this season? Sims had a cracking opening game and has been largely anonymous since. Reed has had a couple of outings and the games have largely passed him by. Stephens has had a couple of games recently and the others just the odd start or sub appearance. So really no-on either than McQueen has seen any real pitch time. Maybe Koeman wasn't that far off the mark after all?

What is clear from Les when Puel joined was that he would be expected to give these players some first team exposure and he's doing as he was instructed.

Welcome to the world of blooding young players into one of the toughest leagues going. If you expect every academy player to just waltz into the first team and become world class then you may as well give up.

Even the famous Ajax academy in its hey day produced players that had to be developed for the first team.

Welcome to the world of blooding young players into one of the toughest leagues going. If you expect every academy player to just waltz into the first team and become world class then you may as well give up.

Even the famous Ajax academy in its hey day produced players that had to be developed for the first team.

The point I was making was that Koeman gave the impression he didn't need see any players READY to contribute to the first team, right here, right now. As I said, maybe he wasn't a million miles away with that view. Hopefully, in time, several of these players will be ready. Let's face it our business model is clear. We need the academy to be successful.

Must be tough being a glory supporter to a club that rarely sees much glory...

Blimey, aspiring to actually win something makes me a glory supporter - wow! That just sums up the loser mentality of some Saints fans.

The benefits of a good youth system are obvious but simply dumping 'x' amount of young players on the pitch should not be a target. Winning something by any means possible should be the target because our current record of one trophy in 130 odd years is just embarrassing.

The point I was making was that Koeman gave the impression he didn't need see any players READY to contribute to the first team, right here, right now. As I said, maybe he wasn't a million miles away with that view. Hopefully, in time, several of these players will be ready. Let's face it our business model is clear. We need the academy to be successful.

How will they ever be 'ready' unless they get a chance to show it? Koeman couldn't be arsed to try.

You'll never really know if they are ready unless you give them a go though. Koeman just wouldn't give them a chance. Reed for instance showed some decent potential and was then just binned off.

You'll never really know if they are ready unless you give them a go though. Koeman just wouldn't give them a chance. Reed for instance showed some decent potential and was then just binned off.

And it gave us 6th place in the league and European football. I personally love it when a young one gets a chance, but we also want to win games and we like to complain a lot if our manager doesn't field the strongest possible team. We didn't have a lot of games last season where a win was already mostly secured ahead of the final whistle, and a 'weaker' player could safely get some time.

And it gave us 6th place in the league and European football. I personally love it when a young one gets a chance, but we also want to win games and we like to complain a lot if our manager doesn't field the strongest possible team. We didn't have a lot of games last season where a win was already mostly secured ahead of the final whistle, and a 'weaker' player could safely get some time.

I'm not saying throw 6 academy graduates into a starting line up but there were plenty of occasions last season where the game was over and we could've thrown on an academy player to see what he could do only to look at the bench and not see any there. We aren't Man Utd or Chelsea etc where we are competing for titles. We are a decent mid table club. We are in the perfect position to blood young players and this season that's one of the only positives.

Anyone putting a negative spin on that aspect of our club is quite frankly weird in my book.

I'm not saying throw 6 academy graduates into a starting line up but there were plenty of occasions last season where the game was over and we could've thrown on an academy player to see what he could do only to look at the bench and not see any there. We aren't Man Utd or Chelsea etc where we are competing for titles. We are a decent mid table club. We are in the perfect position to blood young players and this season that's one of the only positives.

Anyone putting a negative spin on that aspect of our club is quite frankly weird in my book.

This.......

Anyone that thinks you will get consistency straight away from all that have been blooded is quite frankly living in a fantasy world. The step up from playing U23 to full team is not an easy one. Its all about learning by experience.

And yes I'm in the proud camp - why wouldn't I be?

We live in a world were many modern football fans need instant gratification. New players are normally written off after 45 minutes, academy players need to be putting in MoM performances in their first game, a manager gets about six games before the knives come out every game is expected to a feast of entertaining football. Football is now and entertainment industry were many modern fans expect value for money and a match day experience. In such circumstances its understandable most don't care about things like youth talent coming through and being given a chance.

We are nowhere near copying Lowe's "master plan" of 08/09.

His plan involved flooding the first-team with young players, week in week out, combined with farming out the higher wage earners at the start of the season. Financially it might have made some sense at the time, but clearly the team wasn't good enough to compete in the Championship.

We have given plenty of opportunities to the academy players in the league this season, but with the exception of JWP the others haven't become regular starters yet. The cup fixtures have been their main source of first team games.

What's pleasing over the past few years is that the academy players have come into the first team and looked decent straight away. I don't think fans should underestimate how hard that is to actually achieve, it's not something that is as easy as we have made it look IMO.

We've been spoiled over the years. Yes we've sensibly invested in our academy do rightfully are reaping the benefits, but we should be proud of this fact. Not many youngsters can be instant first teamers like Bale, shaw, AOC to name a few, or look comfortable like mcqueen NZ sims, but we've had a few so must be doing something right. How many clubs have binned off their academy? Bet their fans are jealous of this stat.

Worked for Pompey. for a minute or two. I'm sure that FA Cup is keeping them warm at night.

Tonight, more than half our team are academy players.

Great stuff.

Cortes wanted academy players in the team on merit not just filling holes! He actually tried to hold on to the manager and team and improve it, he believed in spending now to reap the rewards once the club was established and more successful.

Problem was it was not his money and the owner was more interested in cashing in earlier rather than taking the risk of more later! Hence the business model now operating of sell anyone for a profit and replace with young prospects in the hope of unearthing more gems to sell!

To be honest, when the game this is achieved is a woeful one nil that we've scraped past the Norwich B team at home it does take the shine off it a bit. Doesn't really prove these academy players are actually good enough does it?

Problem was it was not his money and the owner was more interested in cashing in earlier rather than taking the risk of more later!

Cashing in? You mean the owner didn't want Cortese to continue to rack up huge debts, right?